NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 04-07-2012, 11:01 PM
Be.n C0z1n

Default 1959 Bazooka

Let me first say thank you to those who contacted me / chimed in on my thread concerning sets from the early 70's. My current passion is the 59 Bazooka set. I was wondering the following...

Does anyone remember when these actually came out in 1959? Were they a big deal? Did people collect them?...

How much rarer do you think the sp cards are? If lets say there are 1000 Mickey Mantle cards, are there 500 of the Ernie Banks? 200 Ernie Banks?... It just seems like the sp cards are quite rare as compared to the original 9 that were issued. I'm also amazed at how many of these cards are actually in decent shape when you consider that they were intended to have been cut out by someone approx 8-12 years old. I am also open to trades if anyone has any of the cards that I need for this set.

thanks in advance, I'm really looking forward to details/ info on this set. Please feel free to be as lengthy as possible.
Old 04-14-2012, 01:47 PM
Jeff

Based on my experience building the set (still working on it after several years), there are far fewer than 200 Banks for every 1000 Mantles.
When I see an SP I need, I try to win it regardless of the shape. I can try to upgrade later if I see another.

HOF Type Collector + Philly A's, E/M/W cards, M101-6, Exhibits, Postcards, 30's Premiums & HOF Photos

"Assembling an unfocused collection for nearly 50 years."

Last edited by HRBAKER; 04-14-2012 at 01:49 PM.
Old 04-16-2012, 11:51 AM
D.an Jackso.n

Default 59 Bazooka

There's a good article in the April Sports Market Report on 59 Bazooka. Recommended reading if you like this set.
Old 04-16-2012, 12:22 PM
David Pierson
Banned

Aloha! I clearly remember seeing and buying 59 Bazookas. I don't ever remember the boxes open so only single pieces could be bought. In the little "beer store" corner grocery in Detroit that I bought from had them stacked on a counter and we had to shuffle through the boxes to find who we wanted....we were sooo bummed that Kaline wasn't pictured. We used to bypass the Mantles and Mays and others to get the lone lame tiger in the set. dave. ps of course we hacked them carelessly off the box.
Old 04-19-2012, 04:42 PM
Be.n C0z1n

David, Interesting you mention how there was no Al Kaline Card. I was thinking that the player selection was a little curious. I mean I'm only in my thirties, but I would think that Frank Robinson, Eddie Mathews, Al Kaline were bigger stars than the likes of Davenport, Crandell, and a few of the other players pictured. Also, do you remember the football, or just the baseball players?
Old 04-21-2012, 05:34 PM
David Pierson
Banned

I remember the boxes switching over to football in the fall of 59.....but I was into the regular topps football issue and don't remember buying any football bazooka. Aloha, dave.
Old 12-01-2017, 10:13 AM
Chad

I have a '59 Bazooka Banks if your still looking for one. I know this thread was started a few years back.
Email me at: shearerchad@yahoo.com
Old 12-01-2017, 08:45 PM
Chad

Default '59 Banks

photo IMG_3971_zpslanyg46c.jpg

Last edited by t206 cubs; 12-01-2017 at 08:50 PM.
Old 12-02-2017, 07:10 AM
J0hn Raff3rty

Try direct messages or the Buy/Sell/Trade section.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.