NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-26-2014, 03:20 PM

Default Where to start on T206 collection?

Hi all,

As I mentioned before though I'm a lifelong collector I'm new to tobacco cards. I'm looking for a new collection to start, as my two current player collections are pretty maxed out on what I've got and I don't have much that pops up anymore for me to buy.

I decided I'd like to start collecting Brooklyn T206 cards. As a twist, I want all my cards to be graded, and I want them all to be graded by SGC. I decided I'll only buy raw if I can get it cheap enough to where it pays to send it to SGC. I realize these restrictions will make the cards tougher to find, but that just makes the hunt more interesting.

Now, I'm at a crossroads as to where to start, so I figured I'd gather some opinions. Do I start by trying to fill out all of the more common backs? One player at a time? Is there another method you've used to fill out your collections?

Also, is there a place I can find a complete checklist by team of all the back and pose variations available?

Thanks in advance - I'm still learning after all these years in the hobby!
Old 05-26-2014, 03:32 PM
Jesse

Hey man well I myself was going to take the T206 plunge but decided not to but this site below is very helpful. Also the book, The T206 Collection: The Players & Their Stories is a must have for any hobby collector.

http://t206resource.com/index.html

The site has everything to do with the T206. Great checklists and such. As I was told buy what you can when you can. I myself am all about having all my stuff graded by one company but others here say if its a good price buy it. As for raw graded stuff I am truly not a fan but hey to each their own. I wish you best of luck on this MONSTER. Your going to need it.
Old 05-26-2014, 03:45 PM

I figure it'll keep me occupied for the rest of my life, especially considering I can always keep upgrading my cards if possible. Definitely a long term project. I miss the hunt of collecting something.
Old 05-26-2014, 03:55 PM
Alex

Are you going for a Brooklyn master back list?
SLers = 33/48
Horizontals = 6/6

ALWAYS looking for T206 with back damage.
Old 05-26-2014, 04:00 PM

That's the plan, eventually. I'm 27 so I figure I've got some time to make it happen.

But that's kind of what I'm looking for feedback on - I recognize how difficult that will be and is likely a lifelong project, so for those who have been collecting the monster, do you find it more satisfying to complete a player along the way? To try and complete one back and then move on? To get one of each player first regardless of back? (That's where I'm leaning)
Old 05-26-2014, 08:27 PM
Archive

If Brooklyn is your pick, then if it were me, I would begin with a nice Dahlen. Knock the hardest one out first.

Then again what the hell do I know. I'm building a basic T206 set and a back specific T206 set at the same time.

Jantz
Old 05-26-2014, 11:07 PM
Luke Lyon

If you're going for a master back run, I think you just want to always be looking, and always have the funds available to be able to quickly go after it when a scarce back comes along. My approach with t206 has always been: there are so many cards I need, that I don't need to search for any one card in particular, and I don't need to overpay for any one card. You will have to make strong offers for the rare backs when they hit the market, but I wouldn't go out of your way looking for the common backs. Over time, you'll get them all via ebay auctions at prices you're happy with. No need to overpay for them right now. I agree with Jantz that getting a nice Dahlen would be a pretty cool way to start, especially if you can get a tougher back like a Sovereign. Good luck!
Old 05-27-2014, 07:47 AM
Eric Bea.chley

Go slowly so you don't overextend your budget and never use the buy-it-now feature on Ebay or you will drastically overpay. Also, take your time and buy cards you like. There is no need to rush since this is one of the easiest sets to complete. Even the tough cards (Wagner, Plank, Doyle) are available at least once a year. This strategy assumes you aren't collecting by backs.
Old 05-27-2014, 08:59 AM
Bill Gregory

Selecting the Superbas to begin your assault on the Monster is an inspired choice, polakoff. Chapeau.

You'd asked for some checklists and spreadsheets. Here's where you want to go:

Brooklyn Superbas team checklist

That will give you every card within the team set, including the various poses that exist for players with multiple cards. If you want all the different checklists and spreadsheets, you want to go here:

Full T206 checklist & spreadsheet list set

In the lower right part of that page you will see spreadsheets that will help you find all the back combinations available.

One quick note about the first list I gave you. If a player has multiple cards, like Tim Jordan, who has a portrait card as well as a card of him batting, both will be included so long as the player spent the entire season with Brooklyn. In the case of Bill Dahlen, you will only see one of his portrait cards. Dahlen has another portrait card, the second depicting him as a member of the Boston Doves.

One strategy that you are likely already aware of (but I don't want to make any assumptions as less experienced collectors might also read this) is buying the most expensive cards first. The only Hall of Famer on the Brooklyn team as of right now is Zack Wheat. If you're looking to get all the Superba players, a Hall of Famer is most likely to go up in price, where the commons go up more slowly. So, you might buy the Wheat now, and then go back to buying the commons, or chase back runs, etc. If you hold off on the Wheat, you might end up paying more for it than you would have buying it right away.

One other player to keep in mind is the aforementioned Bill Dahlen. I think there's a very good chance that he's a member of the Hall of Fame starting in 2015. Here's an article which does a really nice job of explaining why:

John Tuberty's Baseball Blog-Bill Dahlen: Pre-Integration Era Veterans Committee Hall of Fame Candidate

The 16 member Pre-Integration Era Veterans Committee votes again in 2015. Each member can vote for up to four of the players nominated. For a player to be elected then to Cooperstown, they need to get 75% of the ballot, at least twelve votes. Last time, Dahlen got ten. I would be surprised if he doesn't get in this next time. If you look at the Sabermetric comparison of Dahlen to the other Hall of Fame shortstops of his era (Bobby Wallace, Honus Wagner, Hughie Jennings, and George Davis), he compares quite favorably. Dahlen's WAR of 70.9 is comparable to Bobby Wallace's 71.6, George Davis' 79.8, and Hughie Jennings' 39.7. The Flying Dutchman, again, is a different story altogether. Wagner had a WAR of 126.1. Only Bobby Wallace bests Bill Dahlen's dWAR score of 28.5, and that's only by 0.02.

Comparing Dahlen, too, to the other shortstops via standard metrics (hits, home runs, runs batted in, etc), again, he compares quite favorably. Obviously, Honus Wagner was by far the best shortstop in the first 100 years of baseball, but Dahlen was a pretty special offensive force. He walked over 1,000 times (1,064). Not even Wagner did that (963). Dahlen hit 84 home runs (second to only Wagner among his shortstop peers), and stole 548 bases. Dahlen tallied 2,461 hits, scored 1,590 runs, drove in 1,234 runs.

If you consider that Dahlen is likely going to be elected to the Hall of Fame, his cards will see a spike in demand, and the cost to buy strong copies will go up, too. What I'm doing with my collection is working on the more expensive cards that I really like first. The commons will go up some, too, but Hall of Fame cards, and the really popular non Hall of Famers (like Hal Chase) will always outperform the common cards.

My one Brooklyn Superba T206 card

One last thing to consider are the kinds of cards within the team. Invariably, several of the players within the Brooklyn team set will have action poses, as well as portraits. I happen to prefer portraits in most cases. You could think about buying just portrait cards of the Superbas.

Or, you could work on back runs of Superba portrait cards. The possibilities are limitless.

Good luck with your new collection!

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.

Last edited by the 'stache; 05-27-2014 at 09:10 AM.
Old 05-27-2014, 09:59 AM

Thanks so much to everyone!
Old 05-27-2014, 03:33 PM
Sean Costello

Everyone's advice is so good that I have little to add. My only added thought is that if you get a chance at something rare that you need, take it. Most of the players and backs will be pretty easy, so go for the tough one's whenever they show up.
Good luck and have fun. Brooklyn is the most attractive team set, and only one HOF (Wheat) and one toughie (Dahlen).
Old 05-27-2014, 04:45 PM
BRIAN C0ATS

Default Focus, focus, focus...

Everybody has given some great advice. I started with Brooklyn as well and then expanded my focus as I completed interim goals. I'm now at 508 and will keep picking off the next dozen as budget permits.

Before you seriously start on this effort I strongly suggest you come up with a realistic price estimate for what it will cost to accomplish the goal and make sure it is a financially realistic goal. The costs of the scarce backs can be staggering and the thought of buying several uzits, drums, Lenox, and red Hindus is just not realistic for most people, let alone a broadleaf 460 or two. Keep in mind that the prices for these backs has risen exponentially in the past few years. Once you have estimated total cost, if you have the means to give it a try, more power to you. Perhaps a team set with one example of each back would be a good stretch goal.

There are a million different ways to approach it. Find an approach that works within your budget so that you don't fall victim to the monster.
Old 05-28-2014, 09:55 PM
B. Schneid.
Ben Sch.neider

It's nice to see a collector my same age. I actually rather recently finished a T206 Reds team set. I bought about half my cards raw and I had them graded by SGC and then the other half I crossed over from PSA (as you can see I still have a few I still need to send to SGC). SGC in my opinion is definitely the way to go with T206. The white borders in the black casing of the SGC holders really make the cards look great. My suggestion to you is if you buy raw cards make sure to ask the seller whether the card has any creases. Creases are hard to see in most pictures and those "flaws" can bring a lower grade. Then again if a particular grade doesn’t matter then creases shouldn’t be a concern.

Good luck with the Brooklyn set. It's definitely has some great looking cards. I'm thinking about tackling that set too as I live in Brooklyn. Like others have said I’d definitely start with Dahlen. His card rarely comes up and when it does it goes for big money. He’s priced at more or less as a mid-tier T206 Hall of Famer even though he’s just a “minor” star.

Best of luck,
Ben
Attached Images
File Type: jpg unnamed.jpg (41.2 KB, 109 views)

Last edited by The Nasty Nati; 05-29-2014 at 08:19 AM.
Old 05-29-2014, 05:59 AM

Great looking team set! I lost my first one on ebay last night but I'm trying to be disciplined and not over-spend. I don't care too much about grades at this point (can always upgrade later) but that's also why I don't really want to buy raw, because then I'm sinking more money into the grading aspect.