NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-19-2006, 02:12 PM
Administrator

Default Would you guys do this?

Posted By: Frank

Hello guys,

My first post here. I love vintage baseball cards.

I am interested in acquiring a few more graded N28 Allen & Ginter cards and maybe a graded T206 card. However, funds are really tight.

I have a high-priced wristwatch that I don't use. I am thinking of selling it and using the funds to buy the cards. Have you guys ever done anything like this or would you?

Here's my line of thinking: Watches require expensive servicing about every 5 years. Vintage graded cards do not. Plus, I have two other very nice watches.

How is the market for vintage cards at the moment? Will cards from the 19th century maintain their value in the future? Are N28 Allen & Ginter Baseball cards, particularly the HOFers, considered rare?

Ultimately, it's my decision. Just looking for opinions and info.

Thanks in advance!

Old 08-19-2006, 02:19 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Joe D.

you said you 'love vintage cards'
and it is
a watch you don't use.

If I was in the same situation, I would do it without thinking twice.

Sounds like you will get a lot more enjoyment out of the cards than you would the watch.

As far as which item would hold value or have a better appreciation over time....
I have no idea.

Old 08-19-2006, 02:22 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Judge Dred (Fred)

N28s are probably one of the more prevalent of the 19th century issues. They are not rare in the way of availability. I suppose if you want to use "rare" you could assign it to condition. Even then, I'm not too sure that great condition examples of N28 BB HOFers are rare, they are however, desireable.

Will 19th century material hold it's value? As long as there are buyers at high prices that will be true. Buy for the enjoyment of the cards.

Old 08-19-2006, 02:25 PM
Administrator

Posted By: davidcycleback

If the buy and sell prices are at good prices for the items, the exchange would on the face of it appear reasonable (I didn't say perfect).

If you were to keep the watch, you would be chosing to invest in the watch. I'm not aware that the watch would be the better of the two investments. If you were going to exchange the watch for 2006 insert cards, I'd tell you to keep the watch.

Old 08-19-2006, 02:36 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Frank Wakefield

If you don't use the watch and want to sell it, fine. And if you collect baseball cards, fine.

If you are investing for the long term, eg kids' going to college, retirement... then I'd suggest selling the watch and investing in mutual funds. Card collecting should be a hobby. It is nice if the cards hold or increase in value, but that is not a reason to collect cards. Read up on Tulipmania... there was a great article on it in a Smithsonian Magazine about 35 years ago. Baseball cards are not sound investments. The tax laws don't recognize baseball cards as an investment. I have stock in Tiffany, Coca Cola, Disney, Biomet, Guardian Technologies International, Inc... but not because I "collect" stocks.

So specifically to your question should you sell the watch to buy cards... no. Not for an investment.

Old 08-19-2006, 02:58 PM
Administrator

Posted By: peter ullman

i do things like that often. A few years ago I sold a t206 w/drum back to buy a leather recliner...which my kitty Otto proceeded to chew up. I later sold the recliner to my buddy for $320...do I have regrets? No! I paid $30 for the card.

I constantly sell pottery/stocks/cards to buy pottery/cards or other stuff. If you don't like or use something...I'm a believer in revolving the inventory. Life is too short to have **** around you don't like or use!

Being a watch lover...and a card lover...I personally would enjoy a nice watch I could use and enjoy every day than a card that'll sit in my safe!

What kind of watch is it? Wanna trade?

pete ullman

Old 08-19-2006, 03:33 PM
Administrator

One could look at it this way. Board members will tell you about what's deficient and problematic about investing in early baseball cards-- all which is probably true--, but none will claim that putting the money in watches is a better investment.

Old 08-19-2006, 03:36 PM
Administrator

Posted By: David McDonald

I would sell my left kidney for a 1914 CJ Matty.

Edited to say this should probably have gone in the B/S/T thread.

Old 08-19-2006, 04:10 PM
Administrator

Posted By: WWW.TEAMSETS4U.COM

not exactly unbias opinions you are going to get on this board.
I use my cell phone as a watch so I would go with the cards.

Old 08-19-2006, 04:14 PM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

I know we aren't supposed to collect cards as an investment but I did sell shares of Microsoft and put in a little cash in order to buy my Four Base Hits Kelly, about 5-6 yrs ago........Probably not too stupid looking back on it...But I would agree that in general you should collect for the fun of it....I do....(ditch the watch and buy the cards ).....

Old 08-19-2006, 04:14 PM
Administrator

My watch has the flaps torn off from stepping on it too many times, and, when I couldn't figure out how to turn off the hourly beep, had to put it under a pile of laundry so I could sleep at night. So I won't pretend to be the board watch expert.

Old 08-19-2006, 06:06 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Tom Boblitt

all 3 really nice watches, buy a $25.00 timex and blow the rest on cards.......no-brainer........the time is the same on any watch you wear......you'd look much better with an old judge strapped to you than some shiny bobble.......

As Dennis Miller says, just my opionion, I could be wrong...

Old 08-19-2006, 06:17 PM
Administrator

Posted By: DJ

As a person who collects to collect, I won't lie to you and tell you that I don't think of cards as an investment. It's in the back of my mind and do consider them so. Like Leon, I have sold stocks to purchase cards and looking back, it was a sound choice as my stock portfolio has increased 6.5% over the last fourteen months (solid stocks, JNJ, PEP, SHL, PAYX etc.).

Fourteen months ago, I passed on a T206 Addie Joss pitching PSA7 for $495. Safe to say that easily doubled. As far as the watch goes, if you have no interest, someone will give it a good home and you should always collect what you like.

DJ

Old 08-19-2006, 06:21 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Gilbert Maines

What would people think if you showed up wearing just a very nice wristwatch?

They already assume that you have a portfolio of t206s and N28s. So, what? He hocked the high priced one? It must be hard times in Franktown.

Not a chick magnet.

Keep the watch and the babes. They really are not impressed with a NM Anson. But Kelly is cute.

Old 08-19-2006, 08:03 PM
Administrator

Posted By: cmoking

IMO, watches and cards are both poor investments. Watches are a bit more stable, but they have little upside because the companies are always producing a better version of your watch. Unless you go into the vintage and unique watch market, your watch is not an investment. Cards on the other hand are incredibly volatile and some think they are at its peak and are calling for a major shock to the system soon. Who knows if they are right or wrong...but the risk is definitely there.

Old 08-19-2006, 08:14 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Chad

My cell phone tells better time anyway. Buy some cards. Permission granted.

--Chad

Old 08-19-2006, 09:27 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Frank

Wow! I didn't expect so many great replies. I have decided to sell the watch. I am sure I can get 3K for it. But I will not blow the whole 3K on cards. I'll probably get an N28 HOFer to go along with my N28 Glasscock. I'll stick the rest of the cash in my savings.

Old 08-20-2006, 12:02 PM
Administrator

Posted By: joe

Believe it or not, but I sold an Accordian that I bought with paper route money when I was a kid. Sold it in the 70's to buy some cards.

Joe

Old 08-20-2006, 01:03 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Gilbert Maines

I am with you on that drc1. The clock in my vehicle is one hour off for half of the year, but then around Spring it gets right again.

I can't be bothered figuring out the nuances of each trivial device I have to deal with, then only to forget them just in time to need that info again.

It is easier for me to be on winter time (with correction) or summer time.