NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-20-2005, 08:08 AM
Administrator

Default Baseball card shops

Posted By: Alan

There used to be a ton of baseball & sports memorabilia shops that sold old, vintage cards as well as the current, new junk. It used to be a lot of fun going in there, talking to the owner, asking about upcoming shows, seeing any recently acquired vintage stuff, etc,... Are these stores now history because of ebay & auctions ? I don't know how the very few still around are paying their bills. Opinions ?

Alan

Old 05-20-2005, 10:20 AM
Administrator

Posted By: T206Collector

eBay killed the vintage card store just like video killed the radio star. Any dealers that continue to stock old stuff make their money on Yu-Gi-Oh cards or whatever the latest magic is.

Old 05-20-2005, 10:23 AM
Administrator

Posted By: jay behrens

They were a dying breed in the early 90s when I got out. Sacramento's last vintage shop started carrying shiny crap to be able to pay the bills. It's tough to keep a vintage store open beucase our buying habit are pretty selective and we generally don't, make impulse buys. The impulse buying of random unopened packs is the bread and butter of stores. When I had my gaming and comic store, it these impulse buys of packs and boxes of MAgic:The Gathering and other cards that made up most of our business, not the sale of expensive, Silver Age comics of the X-Men and Spider-Man.

Jay

I like to sit outside drink beer and yell at people. If I did this at home I would be arrested, so I go to baseball games and fit right in.

Old 05-20-2005, 10:27 AM
Administrator

Posted By: tbob

Ebay may have been the stake through the heart but card shops were dying long before ebay became the end-all. They were starting to peter out even in the late 80's.

Old 05-20-2005, 11:01 AM
Administrator

Posted By: john/z28jd

I havent been there in 5 years which means im about due,but Cooperstown had some card stores that were mainly old cards and you'd be able to find cards of some of the old players you just saw at the hall of fame.I remember one small store had a case of only vintage cards,prices were a little high but there were some nice cards there.

My local cards store,theres 3 within 5 miles of my house,think that cards from the 50s are vintage.The oldest thing ive seen in any of them is some strip cards which i bought.The one guy lists on ebay any old cards that might come in so they never even hit the display case.The ohter places rarely get anything from the 50s.I couldnt imagine not wanting at least a couple old cards,even if they are t206 commons just to put in a display.You could get 2 GD condition ones of ebay for $30,put it in the display for double the price,and either sell them and make a big profit or have people who come in because they havent seen one

Old 05-20-2005, 11:28 AM
Administrator

Posted By: D.W.

Guy Dewolf deals mostly in nothing but vintage items, he has a wonderful selection of cards and runs from early 1900's stuff to 50's and 60's. He has a nice showing of baseball (loads of T cards, but lots of others as well), but his boxing and football cards are substantial as well. He barely carries any newer items at all and almost all of his stuff is raw with only a small portion being slabbed. His number is: 757-229-5544.

FYI, he will be having surgery next week so will not be at his store... and you guessed it, he is the owner and sole employee.

Tell him that Dan sent you his way.

Regards, Dan.

Old 05-20-2005, 01:59 PM
Administrator

Posted By: mike p

there is an excellent vintage shop located in pittsburgh. it is called triple play sportscards. the shop has many psa ,gai , sgc high grade 1950's and 1960's cards, along with graded pre-war cards. the shop also carries vintage autographs and memorabilia

Old 05-20-2005, 11:21 PM
Administrator

Posted By: JimB

Beverly Hills Baseball Card shop in L.A. has been around for probably 20 years and always has vintage stuff when I go. The last time I was in L.A. and stopped by Matt had a bunch of N28s, about 300+ T206s, some Goudeys, Diamond Stars, etc. along with the usual stuff you would expect to see at a card shop these days. He really loves the vintage stuff and loves talking about it. Nice guy and a straight shooter.
JimB

Old 05-20-2005, 11:59 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Glen V

Stevens Creek Sportscards in San Jose, CA has a variety of vintage cards towards the back of the store. Just shield your eyes as you walk past all the shiny stuff.

Old 05-21-2005, 08:53 AM
Administrator

Posted By: jackgoodman

Let's not forget Max Himmelstein at Valley Baseball Cards in Tarzana (the San Fernando Valley/L.A. Area - for those out of state). Max carries the new stuff, but has great selections of vintage and stuff from the 30's - 60's as well. Same location - 24 years.

Old 05-21-2005, 10:22 AM
Administrator

Posted By: tbob

The entire state of Arkansas and as far as the crow flies in all 4 directions doesn't have a single vintage shop. I would have thought Tulsa or Oklahoma City might have a decent shop, or surely New Orleans or Memphis, Tennessee, but zilch. Even going north in to Missouri is a waste of time. Thus ebay is a lifesaver...

Old 05-21-2005, 11:29 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Shane Killian

I have been trying to find a decent one in Ohio but when i happen to actually run into something it's all unopened 2000+ packs, a few stray 80's card and mostly comic books and gaming cards.