NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 07-12-2007, 03:33 PM
Administrator

Default Mastro Auctions Being Investigated by the FBI

Posted By: Dan Bretta

Hey Clint, does the horse have a name?

Just for you Crandell <smooch!>

Old 07-12-2007, 03:34 PM
Administrator

Posted By: JimCrandell

Thanks Jay,

You are right about all three of your points.

This is what the hobby cares about, I am passionate about it and trying to effect change, and my detractors have done nothing(but attack me).

Old 07-12-2007, 03:36 PM
Administrator

Leon,

You are absolutely too much--and pretty da___ dumb yourself. How much does Mastronet pay you to say the things you do:)

Old 07-12-2007, 03:38 PM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

Peter- it was the Good Samaritan Law.

Jim- I know you like to talk about change, but how are you effecting it? That takes some initiative, and I don't think you are willing to do that. I think you would prefer someone else takes the reins.

Old 07-12-2007, 03:46 PM
Administrator

Barry,

If you will volunteer to be president of the newly formed collectors association I will be vp. I think your main point at our collectors dinner was that we just need to rely on the grading services to get better. What Kevin and others seem to say is that more is getting through--
Compared with six months ago or whatever it was, the evidence is even more powerful that the hobby needs some kind of collectors association and that more needs to be done to combat the dealers/auction houses who alter/restore cards and strengthen the grading companies capabilities in fighting this.
I read your posts--I can tell you are not enjoying the hobby anymore and are incredibly frustrated--

Jim

Old 07-12-2007, 03:49 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Scott Elkins

from my limited contact with the person, I truly feel that Jim has a love for the Hobby as much as Leon, Jay, myself or any of us do. I don't think it is right to attack a person for wanting the Hobby cleaned up. I think a person should actually be commended for wanting the Hobby cleaned up, unless someone is making money from "cleaning" cards or defending persons "cleaning" cards and trying to deceive bidders!

Like I stated before, I am no longer commenting on Mastro and any FBI investigation(s). However, it really is hard to be silent when I see Jim Crandell being attacked for wanting the Hobby cleaned up. Leon states this is b/c Jim is afraid of losing $$$ b/c Jim has several high end cards and some "might" have been altered by these money hungry auction houses. This is the MOST hypocritical statement I have heard in a LONG time! The auction houses altering the cards should be the ones attacked by Leon - not the victim. This is like saying a woman deserved to be raped b/c of the way she was dressed - simply BS! Also, it would be hard to throw stones at Jim over money while defending a paying advertiser I would think!?!?

Anyway, it is nice and refreshing to read Barry's posts - a little humor is good in situations like this!

Old 07-12-2007, 03:50 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jeff Lichtman

So Jim is a bad guy for looking out for his own interests. At least that makes sense. I just had a very civil give and take with Doug Allen via email. Didn't call me reprehensible once. I wonder why he treats me better on this issue than Leon does - who ostensibly has no interest?

Peter C, this if for you: these pretzels are still making me thirsty. Does that help?

Old 07-12-2007, 03:50 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Glyn PArson

I think you would seem more credible if you were willing to put your money where your mouth is. You can do this by having some of your cards from the more susceptible sets to doctoring looked at by Kevin. if any are found to have been tampered with you could out the tampering and maybe even out the dealer(s) you got them from if a vast number came from one source. Until then you arent much better then the doctors because you would sell something that you know could be tampered with because you are unwilling to lose money on the item. seems like you want everyone to come clean about doctoring but you are unwilling to do this. If you are willing then i apologize, but i have yet to see or hear evidence that you would do such a thing. Again Jim this is not meant as an attack just an observation.

Old 07-12-2007, 03:52 PM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

I am glad you and Doug spoke. I take back everything I said about you

Old 07-12-2007, 03:53 PM
Administrator

Posted By: E, Daniel

And exactly the kind of crap I believe Jay B has despaired of.

Jim C, not every thread you'd care to turn into your favourite vent qualifies. This one didn't.

And I'm not sure why those who have concerns about Mastro practices are 'people', and those who feel too big a stick is being wielded at exactly this time are zealots? Methinks this is as biased an effort to hammer senselessly and before genuine reason as is being accused of Leon and others who aren't running to dismember Mastro Auctions and its ownership.

Daniel

Old 07-12-2007, 03:56 PM
Administrator

Even IF anyone altered those PSA cards Jim has it was PSA's responsibility to catch them. They should be financially liable for their mistakes....

Old 07-12-2007, 03:57 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bill Stone

Peter --to set the record straight the gang was not arrested overseas - they were arrested in Latham, Massachutes.

THESE pretzels are making me thirsty.

Old 07-12-2007, 04:01 PM
Administrator

Glyn,

I understand. I don't believe my cards are any more likely to have been tampered with than anyone elses so when it comes time to sell I will sell. If 2% or 4% or 1% of my cards have been altered what will that prove? My collection is with PSA and thats where it will stay.
Jim

Old 07-12-2007, 04:07 PM
Administrator

Scott,

Its funny--you would think I would be praised for what I am trying to accomplish and that collectors could not wait to pitch in with their ideas and help.

Anyway thanks. Its all pretty amazing to me but if at the end of the day some good can come out of this to reduce the alteration of cards and strengthen company grading practices it will all have been worth it.

Jim

Old 07-12-2007, 04:08 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Bretta

ALL PRAISE JIM CRANDELL!!!!!1!

Old 07-12-2007, 04:10 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Scott Elkins

However, I and many others here KNOW that there are certain auction houses and individuals that get preferential treatment from grading companies. I would still think if a card is altered, the person(s) who did the alterations are to blame - know?

If I ever decide to alter cards and seeing if I can get them by the grading companies, at least I know I will have one supporter in Leon.

Old 07-12-2007, 04:15 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dave F

Crandell....priceless comments from you once again. Your are the heir to the card world throne.

Toast your bread on both sides Crandell.

Old 07-12-2007, 04:20 PM
Administrator

Many thanks--do you have a last name Dave F?

Old 07-12-2007, 04:22 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dave F

Its Faust...just like it says under the links section...nothing hidden about it.

Old 07-12-2007, 04:25 PM
Administrator

Posted By: peter chao

Where's my bag of pretzels?

Peter

Old 07-12-2007, 04:28 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Brian Weisner

Hi Barry,
This is why Woody Allen doesn't make movies in NY anymore.....

Have a good National. Be well Brian

Old 07-12-2007, 04:34 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Tom Nieves

Leon,

Are you my Caucasian?

Tom

Old 07-12-2007, 04:53 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Paul "The Hammer" Moss

Just wanted to add my 0.02 before the thread is locked, however I have nothing substantive to offer which would appear to be in keeping with 95% of the posts so far.

Newsflash: There are altered cards in holders. There have been since day 1 of the grading house's doors opening. It's a fact, take it to the bank. No company, or individual is perfect and 100% correct on a consistant basis in any field.

Mastro: Wild speculation. Let's make it exciting and fun at least. Could someone suggest that they are rumored to be involved in white slavery and are being investigated for this as well, just to get the ball rolling. How about trading in human internal organs? Until there's some evidence other than some raggedy hack article, I won't condemn or convict.

Old 07-12-2007, 04:53 PM
Administrator

Posted By: jay behrens

Leon, I'm a DA for standing up for someone that wants to change the hobby for the better? Hell, for the most part, Jim and I have never gotten along, but I can put that difference aside because what he is trying to do is something good and he should be praised for trying, not vilified.

Would I like to see him have some of his cards checked? Sure, but it's got going to make think any less of his goals and what he wants to do.

As for your comment about Jim being out for Jim...pot...kettle...black...mean anything to you?

Jay

I love pinatas. You get to beat the crap of something and get rewarded with candy.

Old 07-12-2007, 04:57 PM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

Now that's a "Curb Your Enthusiasm" quote, from Krazee-Eyes Killer!

Jim, I don't want to be president of anything. I think I will sit this one out. I have too much on my plate right now. Sorry.

Old 07-12-2007, 05:01 PM
Administrator

Zardoz,

On a more serious topic:

How are we going to knock Gemmintman from the top of the heep on the PSA Set Registry on 1970 Kellogg?

Dav

Old 07-12-2007, 05:22 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Todd Schultz

"On a more serious topic:

How are we going to knock Gemmintman from the top of the heep on the PSA Set Registry on 1970 Kellogg?"

Yep, that's what I want to know too. I read this vintage, pre-WWII baseball card forum so I can find out the latest on how fierce the competition might be on the PSA set registry for a 1970 3D card set. Such contributions help shape the backbone of the hobby, no doubt.

Old 07-12-2007, 05:33 PM
Administrator

I was joking--I know Paul from way back when he helped me build that set.

Old 07-12-2007, 05:36 PM
Administrator

Posted By: JimB

Anything of substance in the last 200 posts? I got dreadfully bored long ago.
JimB

Old 07-12-2007, 05:40 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dean H

Hello. My name is Elmer J. Fudd....Millionaire. I own a mansion and a yacht.

I just had to throw my hat into the ring and contribute absolutley nothing. Is it just me or have things gotten out of control??

Now back to your regularly scheduled programming...

Old 07-12-2007, 06:20 PM
Administrator

I've been a rascist since the days of Ty Cobb.

But I must say the name-calling here is much better than anything I could ever think of. Congratulations.

Peter

Old 07-12-2007, 06:46 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Koteles

my cat is named Rass....do you like him ?

quit bickering guys....I like it too much. Presbiterians

Old 07-12-2007, 07:34 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Alan

I think this thread is ready to be locked !!!

Let's get back to talking about cards....

Old 07-12-2007, 07:55 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Kenny Cole

Wow. This thread is like a train wreck. You don't want to look but just can't help yourself.

For those who really aren't really interested in the 384 or so bickering threads, I offer this short recap. I do so with the caveat that" 1)it is only my personal take on the bickering; 2) I may have failed to mention some of the bickering (because I think it is negligible in the over-all scheme of thinkgs while those involved may vehemently disagree); 3) I obviously have my own views and biases, which will predictably expose me to criticism from one or more interested parties for the manner in which I set forth the following recap; and 4) this recap is almost as silly as the crap that has preceeded it. With those caveats in mind, here goes my recap of the salient points:

1) Mastro is being investigated by the FBI, according to a reporter who allegedly has it in for Mastro;

2) Jim C. wants to make the hobby better so long as doing so doesn't affect the grades/prices of his cards. Rightly or wrongly, doing so becomes far less important if the card portfolio may take a hit;

3) Leon is protecting Mastro because a) he wants something other than allegations in newspapers by a reporter who purportedly has it in for Mastro before he buys the allegations; and b) Mastro advertises here, as do many other advertisers, an "obvious" but disclosed "conflict of interest";

4) There are trimmed and/or otherwise altered careds in slabs, some of which may even be in the venerated PSA 7, 8 or better slabs;

5) Some raw cards are altered, which is clearly why they are still raw, since no right-thinking person would own a raw card;

6) Grading is good and has saved the hobby;

7) Grading is bad and has injured the hobby;

8) Peter C. doesn't know anything about criminal law ; and

9) Jeff L. does .

Hope I didn't leave out anyone who now feels the need to attack me or the recap. If I did so, you can rest assured that it was for one of the following reasons: 1) I thought your post was too stupid to make the recap; 2) you were only parroting what someone else had said, which gives you no credit; or 3) the 22 beers I needed to drink while I read all this crap caused me to blink and miss the wisdom being imparted in your post. If it was 3), please feel free to chastise me. However, if that did in fact occur, I do apologize for the oversight in advance.

Collect what you want, how you want, and everyone have a good day.

Best,

Kenny Cole

Old 07-12-2007, 08:58 PM
Administrator

You forgot that I can now add DA to go with my Dunderhead title. I guess that makes me a DA Dunderhead

Jay

I love pinatas. You get to beat the crap of something and get rewarded with candy.

Old 07-12-2007, 09:26 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Cat

You also forgot to insert a few "alledgedly" into your summary.

Old 07-12-2007, 09:29 PM
Administrator

Posted By: P Spaeth

Jay with my namesake Pete C. I couldn't quite tell were you calling me or him a hypocrite?

Old 07-12-2007, 09:32 PM
Administrator

basically I am calling the board in general a bunch of hypocrites. If the title fits, wear it

Jay

Old 07-12-2007, 09:35 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Randy Trierweiler

Kenny Cole, you just got my vote for the #1 post in this massive thread.

Old 07-12-2007, 09:38 PM
Administrator

Jay LOL, I'll have to try it on and see how it fits.

Old 07-12-2007, 09:41 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jeff Lichtman

Wait -- Pete C and Pete S are two different people? Has anyone actually seen the 'two' of them in a room together?

Old 07-12-2007, 09:43 PM
Administrator

Lichtman, you ARE reprehensible or whatever Leon called you.

Old 07-12-2007, 09:44 PM
Administrator

The difference between us in a nutshell is that I litigate class actions and Pete C. litigates "class auctions."

Old 07-12-2007, 10:26 PM
Administrator

Oh, oh...Jeff is starting to figure it out.

Peter

Old 07-13-2007, 12:44 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Joe Pelaez

And as for Mastro ... You've only seen the Tip of the Iceberg.

As Al Jolson use to say:

You ain't seen nottin yet!

Old 07-13-2007, 06:29 AM
Administrator

Posted By: scott fandango

DOes anyone know if Mastro still alters ( to try and better) their cards in their auctions still?

DId they halt that practice or does that still go on as Doug Allen himself described?

i think this is worse than shill bidding , dont you?

if shill bidding were the only problem they had, then at least you know the card is not altered--may me more expensive then it should, but its not altered....On the other hand, smoothing out creases or touching up corners is considered altering in my neck of the woods....

Old 07-13-2007, 06:38 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Joe D.

Is the rumor true that Mastro headquarters is up on a grassy knoll behind a picket fence?

back and to the left.

back and to the left.

we may be able to solve all of the world mysteries at one time!

(edit: nothing constructive or new is happening here. since we are all repeating ourselves... my vote again: Lock it up!)

Old 07-13-2007, 06:38 AM
Administrator

Scott,

In mine too.

I believe that the last time that Doug was on this board he did indicate that they were not doing this anymore. Although as usual he was vague and didn't really answer the questions. Earlier this year I think it was he did admit that they took wrinkles and light creases out of cards as the company "prepared" them for grading.

Old 07-13-2007, 07:44 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Glyn PArson

If they have major cards in their auctions with wrinkles and light corner problems then they are not if they dont have cards with these problems then they probablly are fixing some things. Just my opinion.

Old 07-13-2007, 07:54 AM
Administrator

Guess what....I run the board.... I take the headaches from people like Jay Behrens and Scott Elkins and Jim Crandall so I get to have the last word. It's a wonderful world. Until something definitive comes out about this alleged investigation I don't think there is much more to add to this. No need to bump this anymore. Enough board members have expressed the same view about locking this that I feel comfortable doing it... After 4 days of talking about this fallacy I don't think anyone but a **** can think I am protecting anyone. ....thanks for playing....

edited to be kinder and gentler...