NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Football Cards Forum

Old 04-27-2015, 05:28 PM
Tony Quinn

Default Anyone Collect 1959 Bazooka Football?

Anyone out there collect '59 Bazooka football? Would love to see some examples and possibly interesting stories about how you obtained them or to just share general knowledge about them. Have always thought they looked great but don't know much back story behind them. Go ahead and post some pics of them beauties!
Old 04-27-2015, 06:51 PM
Carl Lamendola

Picked this up on Ebay a long time ago. I got an email from the under bidder saying he had looked for this card for 10 years and offered my 3X what I paid. I hung on to it. Tracy, Groza, and Connerly are the keys.t.jpg
Old 04-27-2015, 07:57 PM
Jeff P

Jim Brown is a toughie as well! I love this set.

I have a lot of info on this set and completed it a few years ago. Have a bunch of doubles as well. What do you want to know about the set?

Here are the two Conerly Cards. The originally had Conerly playing for the Colts instead of the Giants but it was corrected during printing.

jeff

Last edited by jefferyepayne; 04-27-2015 at 07:58 PM.
Old 04-27-2015, 08:22 PM
Tony Quinn

Default How about....

I guess questions like: why are the tough ones tough? Was it limited distribution of particular players or difficulty due to geographic distribution? What are approximate quantities of various players still available (10's/100's/1000's)? Any interesting stories about production or finds (singles or groups). Much has been written about the baseball issue, not much about these.
Old 04-27-2015, 08:59 PM
Jeff P

In early 1959 Topps released a nine card Bazooka baseball card set on the bottom of 25 piece Bazooka gum boxes. The promotion was so popular that they added 14 additional baseball players to the set later in the season. These 14 are short prints. Late in the year Topps replaced the baseball players on Bazooka boxes with football players. It is likely that the SP's are ones added later just like the SP's in the baseball set.

I don't know the population counts for these but bet there are many more raw ones than graded ones. I was collecting them one by one and had about 1/2 the set when an opportunity presented itself to purchase a near complete set a few years ago. That's how I completed the set and why I have doubles.

jeff

Last edited by jefferyepayne; 04-27-2015 at 09:00 PM.
Old 04-28-2015, 06:30 AM
Steve Liskey

I've seen lots of complete Bazooka boxes from the 1971 football set, but never seen any from the 1959 set. Does anyone have a complete box they could post a photo of?
Old 09-18-2015, 08:12 PM
Carl Lamendola

Default Anyone Collect 1959 Bazooka Football?

http://sgccard.com/registry/cards/us5965.jpg
They look nice in the sgc holders

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by clamendo; 09-18-2015 at 08:16 PM.
Old 09-18-2015, 08:15 PM
Carl Lamendola

This is a tough card
http://sgccard.com/imageconverter.as...rds/us5966.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-20-2018, 07:55 PM

I recently posted my 1959 Bazooka set on imageevent.com. It took me almost 20 years to complete, with the Groza being the last card to finish the set. I had to borrow 600.00 from my Dad in the 1996 to purchase it as I had just returned from the National Sports Collector's Convention in fruitless pursuit of finishing the set (but spending my last dollar anyway), and a letter arrived from Don Niemi telling me he had one! According to Don, he felt the Groza was the toughest in the set and that there were less than 15 or so in existence (don't know how he came by those numbers). He also said he felt it was one of the 5 rarest football cards in the hobby.
http://imageevent.com/supplex55/1959bazookafootballset
Old 01-20-2018, 07:59 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by supplex55 View Post
I recently posted my 1959 Bazooka set on imageevent.com. It took me almost 20 years to complete, with the Groza being the last card to finish the set. I had to borrow 600.00 from my Dad in the 1996 to purchase it as I had just returned from the National Sports Collector's Convention in fruitless pursuit of finishing the set (but spending my last dollar anyway), and a letter arrived from Don Niemi telling me he had one! According to Don, he felt the Groza was the toughest in the set and that there were less than 15 or so in existence (don't know how he came by those numbers). He also said he felt it was one of the 5 rarest football cards in the hobby.
Damn that is impressive.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 01-21-2018, 06:56 AM
Jeff P

Quote:
Originally Posted by supplex55 View Post
Great set and images!

The 1959 Bazooka set is one of my favorites. They are just beautiful cards. I would say at this point, though, that the Groza is not one of the 5 rarest football cards in the hobby as so many oddball and obscure sets have been identified since Don told you that decades ago. It is still a very difficult card to find, though. I've been trying to upgrade mine for years without any luck. Same for Tom Tracy.

jeff
Old 01-22-2018, 08:55 PM

http://imageevent.com/supplex55/1959bazookafootballset[/QUOTE]

Wow, that is incredible!
Old 01-23-2018, 12:10 PM
Ran-jodh Dh.ill0n

A few things I want to say about this set:

I didn't know that Bazooka made a smaller box for these cards. I always thought that all the Bazooka boxes from this period were of the same size and that kids would just buy these gums individually and a lucky one in the end would be given the empty box by the store owner. So the only way to get your hands on these cards was to purchase a sealed box, correct? How much did the box cost? Anyone have a clue?

Now I agree that these cards look awesome, but I hate how almost all of them are portrait shots. The Jim Brown card is awesome because it is an action shot and Bazooka should have included more action shots in this football set.

And speaking of the Jim Brown card, I would love to own one, but the people listing them on eBay are asking for INSANE amounts of money for theirs. Now I don't mind overpaying a little for it, but I am not going to spend thousands of dollars for it. I have seen beautiful ungraded examples selling for less than $1,000 USD at auction.
Old 01-23-2018, 03:05 PM

Default Back in the day

Quote:
Originally Posted by samosa4u View Post

I didn't know that Bazooka made a smaller box for these cards. I always thought that all the Bazooka boxes from this period were of the same size and that kids would just buy these gums individually and a lucky one in the end would be given the empty box by the store owner. So the only way to get your hands on these cards was to purchase a sealed box, correct? How much did the box cost? Anyone have a clue?

Now I agree that these cards look awesome, but I hate how almost all of them are portrait shots. The Jim Brown card is awesome because it is an action shot and Bazooka should have included more action shots in this football set.

And speaking of the Jim Brown card, I would love to own one, but the people listing them on eBay are asking for INSANE amounts of money for theirs. Now I don't mind overpaying a little for it, but I am not going to spend thousands of dollars for it. I have seen beautiful ungraded examples selling for less than $1,000 USD at auction.
As I recall, the Bazooka boxes cost about a quarter, far more than 12-year-old me could spend on a single card. I should have bought the boxes and sold the gum at school as I did in later years when I realized it made more sense to buy a box of each Topps series rather than try to piece them together pack by pack.
Old 01-23-2018, 03:27 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by samosa4u View Post

Yeah same reaction to the ebay prices.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 01-27-2018, 05:21 PM
Dave.Horn.ish

I wonder if Ozzie Sweet took some of the pix in this set?