NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 12-16-2012, 07:08 PM
Richard

Default 1971 Topps Condition Worsen in PSA Case?

Hello. Relatively new member... 1st post.

I'm really a Goudey guy, but I just love the 1971 Topps set; there's just something about it that I find irresistible, and I've started collecting again, having already sold off partial sets two times previously.

Anyhow, my issue for this thread... PSA cases allow Topps from that era a bit of wiggle room, and the '71s slide around in there. Left, right, top, bottom... gravity just kind of knocks it around a bit as the case turns. I am worried that this is a problem with the '71 issue particularly because the black borders are so prone to chipping and showing other wear.

Has anyone out there had the experience of actually seeing a '71 Topps condition worsen while encapsulated? It seems to me somewhat probable.

Thanks.
Old 12-16-2012, 08:12 PM
Be.n C0z1n

I know the whole PSA vs SGC thing has been kicked around a million times, and I promise I'm not trying to go down that road, but your comment is what drives me nuts about PSA. Yes, the cards do move, and I've seen PSA 7's that are really down to 5.5's 6's, due to movement in case. Also can't stand how some cards are just put in a "baggie" of sorts leaving all sorts of "space" in the holder. I know SGC isn't perfect, but its the "wiggle room" that you mention above that drives me nuts with PSA graded cards.
Old 12-16-2012, 09:11 PM
Larry More.y

Default 71s and 62s

I have not noticed this with many cards at all in either my complete 62 Topps PSA set or my near complete 71 Topps PSA set, two of the most condition sensitive sets from the 60s and 70s due to their borders. Now, when a card(s) arrives for any of my PSA sets, I immediately secure them with the rest of the set and there these cards sit with very little to no movement.

However, that is not to say that a sharp looking 7 or 8 when it left a seller did not move around some during shipment, and upon arrival was a lower end 7 or 8. In the few times I have gone back and looked through these sets, I can remember scratching my head a minimal amount of times concerning PSA's grading on the cards from these sets...this leads me to believe that any damage to cards in my sets has been very minimal or has just been a bad grade by PSA.
Old 12-20-2012, 01:06 AM
Bill Gregory

I could see the '71 Topps being a nightmare to encapsulate. I have a really nice '71 Clemente, and I'd like to send it off to PSA, but I'm worried about dinging up the edges more than they are.

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.