NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-15-2017, 12:36 PM
Rowbeartoe Toemoss

Default OT: Mcgregor VS Mayweather

Now that it's finally confirmed..for those who care..who do you think will win the fight?
Old 06-15-2017, 12:39 PM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Location: https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/mysetregistry/set/348387

If both get over 150-300 million they both won the fight. Id like to see a fight for $500 bucks, to me thats a real fight and there is only 1 winner

Last edited by 1952boyntoncollector; 06-15-2017 at 12:39 PM.
Old 06-15-2017, 12:47 PM
Dave

If it's a boxing match as I have seen, it's going to be completely one sided, unless Mayweather carries him to make it seem more legitimate then it actually is.
Old 06-15-2017, 12:48 PM
Eddie S.
Eddie Smi.th

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrackaJackKid View Post
Now that it's finally confirmed..for those who care..who do you think will win the fight?
Is anyone actually picking McGregor to win?
Old 06-15-2017, 12:51 PM
Dave

Unless there's a killer undercard involved, whoever pays for this will get exactly what they deserve....................to get ripped off.
Old 06-15-2017, 12:54 PM
Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bored5000 View Post
His mom...but she might be jiving too.
Old 06-15-2017, 12:56 PM
$cott Cl1nt0n

I don't know about getting ripped off. For me, the PPV may be worth it just for the chance McGregor gets mad and kicks Mayweather in the head.
Old 06-15-2017, 04:11 PM
Lou Simcoe
L0u Sim.coe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arazi4442 View Post
I don't know about getting ripped off. For me, the PPV may be worth it just for the chance McGregor gets mad and kicks Mayweather in the head.
One of the attorney's on the board may want to weigh in on this one, however, I suspect there will be language written in the contract that McGregor forfeits or loses his payday if he does a round house kick to FM head.

The same is true if McGregor resorts to ANY MMA tactics. I agree, it would be worth the PPV just to see FM get konked! Not worth it to McGregor to do it though.

Last edited by KCRfan1; 06-15-2017 at 04:13 PM. Reason: spelling as usual.....
Old 06-15-2017, 04:25 PM
Er1c Sh@rp.

As someone who used to practice mixed martial.arts, I would prefer to see a boxer in the cage. However, Dana picked the wrong guy to box in the ring. It"s all hype. Nate would have a slightly better shot at an upset but I wouldn't put real momey on it. Sad thing is - it's bad for mma as a sport.
Old 06-15-2017, 12:56 PM
Ben North

Quote:
They would have to be really really really stupid to pick McGregor to win. I actually can't even see him lasting the whole fight for a decision loss.

As someone who has had close to triple digit fights in both sports. I can say there is no way a MMA guy can stand with a pure boxer like Floyd. Even being an old man Floyd is going to embarrass him. It goes the other way also, Conor would embarrass Floyd in an MMA match.
Old 06-15-2017, 01:16 PM
Brian Macdonald

Probably should stay away from being a MMA fighter, after the results of this study have been released

http://www.theonion.com/article/new-...ur-knees-56256
Old 06-15-2017, 01:47 PM
Dustin Bellinger

McGregor has about as much chance of winning as Steph Curry would have at beating Venus Williams in a tennis match or Rob Gronkowski or Odell Beckham beating LeBron James in a game of one-on-one.

Collecting Hall of Famers and players with Nebraska connections.
Old 06-15-2017, 01:50 PM

I'm bummed Floyd is giving this guy a pay day for no reason. Floyd is going to kill this dude.

I am VERY excited to see Triple G fight Canelo later this year though.
Old 06-15-2017, 02:04 PM
James

My bet is on Money Mayweather all day!!!

https://sportscardalbum.com/u/gemmin...seball#!page=2
Old 06-15-2017, 03:28 PM
David Peck

Definitely going to be buying this PPV.

I self subbed this Mayweather in 2012.

Old 06-15-2017, 03:30 PM
Ju$tin D@v3n.por+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoebox View Post
McGregor has about as much chance of winning as Steph Curry would have at beating Venus Williams in a tennis match or Rob Gronkowski or Odell Beckham beating LeBron James in a game of one-on-one.
+1

Player collecting - Lance Parrish, Jim Davenport, John Norlander.

Successful B/S/T with - Highstep74, Northviewcats, pencil1974, T2069bk, tjenkins, wilkiebaby11, baez578, Bocabirdman, maddux31, Leon, Just-Collect, bigfish, quinnsryche...and a whole bunch more, I stopped keeping track, lol.
Old 06-15-2017, 03:43 PM
Ran-jodh Dh.ill0n

This whole thing is just ridiculous! We've seen what happened to McGregor when he tried to do a little boxing with Nate Diaz - looked like he was going to suffer a heart attack and was running away from Diaz the whole time. This guy has serious stamina issues. I would have liked to have seen Mayweather step into the ring with Keith Thurman instead.

By the way, this thread should be moved to the Watercooler.
Old 06-15-2017, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samosa4u View Post
This whole thing is just ridiculous! We've seen what happened to McGregor when he tried to do a little boxing with Nate Diaz - looked like he was going to suffer a heart attack and was running away from Diaz the whole time. This guy has serious stamina issues. I would have liked to have seen Mayweather step into the ring with Keith Thurman instead.

By the way, this thread should be moved to the Watercooler.
Although, I Certainly do Respect Your Humble Opinion!

Here are some facts to add to the Mcgregor/Diaz Fight Opinion:

Mr. Mcgregor was 5'9" - 74 inch reach
And he agreed to fight at a weight 25 lbs above his Normal Fighting weight of 145 lbs(Fight was at 170 lbs)
Most Fight Guru's say he went to bed that night at about 160-166 lbs

Mr. Diaz was 6'0" - 76 inch reach
He made weight and went to bed that night at 183 lbs
This is his Normal Weight Class

Mr. Diaz was a good 20 lbs heavier
Had a 2 inch reach advantage
And was 3 inches Taller

Mr. Mcgregor fought with about 15 extra lbs
From his Normal Fighting Weight Class
Old 06-28-2017, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoebox View Post
"THeY" ALL Said Almost the Same Ting About "Gentlemen Jim Corbett"
Possible Beating John L Sullivan...

McGregor has been Working & Training... And He's 27
Mr. Floyd hasn't been Punch'd in 2 years... And He's 40+!

I'm older than both of'em,
So I know what it's like ta be a Healthy 27
and an Older 40...

"Just Keepin it Real!?"
Old 06-28-2017, 11:44 AM

Yeah but that's ignoring the fact that literally no one has ever beat Mayweather in his sport. McGrgegor has lost fights in his own sport.
Old 06-28-2017, 11:56 AM
Peter Spaeth

Hope springs eternal for people who love upsets. While anything is possible, it is extremely unrealistic to think an MMA guy is going to beat the man who may be the world's best boxer ever. Even if he is 40. There is not one rational reason you could name that says he has a chance, assuming it isn't fixed and assuming Mayweather trains seriously.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 06-28-2017 at 11:58 AM.
Old 08-26-2017, 05:17 PM
M@tt McC@rthy

Come on McGregor!!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I collect Hal Chase, Diamond Stars (PSA 5 or better), 1951 Bowman (Raw Ex or better), 1954 Topps (PSA 7 or better), 1956 Topps (Raw Ex or better), 3x5 Hall of Fame Autographs and autographed Perez Steele Postcards. You can see my collection by going to http://www.collectorfocus.com/collection/BigSix.
Old 08-26-2017, 06:25 PM
Eddie S.
Eddie Smi.th

I don't understand the betting action for this fight at all. At some Vegas sports books, Mayweather has been bet down to just a 5-1 favorite. I know bettors should always be wary when something looks too easy, but how is betting on Mayweather here not free money? How is Mayweather not a 40 or 50 to 1 favorite here? The Tyson-Douglas fight was famously 42-1 -- if you could find a place to take action on the fight -- and Douglas was at least an actual boxer.

That being said, multiple bets of $1 million or more were put down on Mayweather in Vegas on Thursday, including a $1.2 million bet at -500. Even with the $1.2 million bet on Mayweather, William Hill's Nevada sports book still faces a seven-figure liability overall if McGregor wins.

I don't get the public betting the fight down to 5-1 odds on a non boxer.

http://www.espn.com/chalk/story/_/id...regor-showdown
Old 08-26-2017, 06:32 PM
Ben North

Quote:
I don't understand the betting action for this fight at all. At some Vegas sports books, Mayweather has been bet down to just a 5-1 favorite. I know bettors should always be wary when something looks too easy, but how is betting on Mayweather here not free money? How is Mayweather not a 40 or 50 to 1 favorite here? The Tyson-Douglas fight was famously 42-1 -- if you could find a place to take action on the fight -- and Douglas was at least an actual boxer.

That being said, multiple bets of $1 million or more were put down on Mayweather in Vegas on Thursday, including a $1.2 million bet at -500. Even with the $1.2 million bet on Mayweather, William Hill's Nevada sports book still faces a seven-figure liability overall if McGregor wins.

I don't get the public betting the fight down to 5-1 odds on a non boxer.

http://www.espn.com/chalk/story/_/id...regor-showdown
The odds when first posted are what they feel is the chance of a fighter winning. All odds after that only reflect how people are betting. Odds are changed to insure the bookies make money and no longer have anything to do with who they think will win.
Old 08-26-2017, 06:40 PM
Eddie S.
Eddie Smi.th

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
The odds when first posted are what they feel is the chance of a fighter winning. All odds after that only reflect how people are betting. Odds are changed to insure the bookies make money and no longer have anything to do with who they think will win.
Oh, I completely understand how a betting line works, and that equal money on each side means that the bookmaker wins either way.

I guees I should have been more clear and said that I don't understand why the public has bet the fight down to 5-1 odds. Betting on a non-boxer against a top-notch pro (even one that is 40 years old) seems like lighting money on fire.

Last edited by Bored5000; 08-26-2017 at 06:42 PM.
Old 08-27-2017, 04:05 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

It was a good fight. I am surprised it went as long as it did.
Old 08-28-2017, 02:00 PM
M@tt McC@rthy

I haven't watched a fight since Tyson nibbled Holyfield...I enjoyed this fight. I see NO Reason why Mayweather let this thing go 10 rounds. Each passing round, he danced more closely with the devil. In hindsight, if McGregor saved his energy for rounds 10-12, he could have won. mayweather's game plan worked...and boxing took a credibility hit by this going as long as it did. I'd go so far as to say McGregor could win a rematch with this experience under his belt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I collect Hal Chase, Diamond Stars (PSA 5 or better), 1951 Bowman (Raw Ex or better), 1954 Topps (PSA 7 or better), 1956 Topps (Raw Ex or better), 3x5 Hall of Fame Autographs and autographed Perez Steele Postcards. You can see my collection by going to http://www.collectorfocus.com/collection/BigSix.
Old 08-28-2017, 02:04 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Six View Post
I haven't watched a fight since Tyson nibbled Holyfield...I enjoyed this fight. I see NO Reason why Mayweather let this thing go 10 rounds. Each passing round, he danced more closely with the devil. In hindsight, if McGregor saved his energy for rounds 10-12, he could have won. mayweather's game plan worked...and boxing took a credibility hit by this going as long as it did. I'd go so far as to say McGregor could win a rematch with this experience under his belt.

I could not disagree more. Floyd was never in the remotest danger. 49 professionals barely laid a glove on him, do you think this amateur really could have? Please. This was a boxing match, not a street fight.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 08-28-2017 at 02:05 PM.
Old 08-28-2017, 02:07 PM
M@tt McC@rthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
I could not disagree more. Floyd was never in the remotest danger. 49 professionals barely laid a glove on him, do you think this amateur really could have? Please. This was a boxing match, not a street fight.

That's all good...no idea why the fight had to go so long then...regardless, I enjoyed the bout and my opinion of McGregor rose. Guess you wouldn't agree that the ref called the fight to quick? If I'm McGregor, knock me out...oh well.

Old 08-28-2017, 02:13 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Six View Post
That's all good...no idea why the fight had to go so long then...regardless, I enjoyed the bout and my opinion of McGregor rose. Guess you wouldn't agree that the ref called the fight to quick? If I'm McGregor, knock me out...oh well.

Guys who are defenseless are at risk of serious injury, it was correct to stop it. I think Mayweather probably was told not to end it too quickly for commercial reasons. Also, he may have actually been enjoying himself and was content to linger a few extra rounds in his last ring appearance. With the difference in ring experience and intelligence, hand speed, and punching power, this was not a real contest IMO.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 08-28-2017 at 02:16 PM.
Old 08-28-2017, 02:38 PM

Bring on GGG vs Canelo already. No one is even talking about it. Now THAT'S a super fight.
Old 08-28-2017, 03:37 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Guys who are defenseless are at risk of serious injury, it was correct to stop it. I think Mayweather probably was told not to end it too quickly for commercial reasons. Also, he may have actually been enjoying himself and was content to linger a few extra rounds in his last ring appearance. With the difference in ring experience and intelligence, hand speed, and punching power, this was not a real contest IMO.
Disagree, and have a little bit of amateur boxing experience myself. This was a real fight. I am not saying that I doubted for a minute than Mayweather would prevail, but the idea that he dragged this along for extra rounds for commercial reasons is ridiculous. Macgregor had a very effective jab. Didn't have much of a power punch. But he threw and landed a decent number of punches. And they were not the type of punches of the angles Mayweather is used to seeing. He is a marvelous defensive fighter but this was not what he has spent his career defending against. I think Mayweather was actually quite surprised to get punched in the face more than a few times. I think he realized Macgregor would run out of gas in about the 7th round and he backed off a bit and this is exactly what happened. But he wasn't doing it for commercial reasons. Last fight of his career. Would have knocked him out in the first round if he wanted to go off in a blaze of glory.

Last edited by Snapolit1; 08-28-2017 at 03:38 PM.
Old 08-29-2017, 09:48 AM

It sounds like many people here enjoyed the fight. I thought it was complete garbage and should have been over much sooner. This was a sham, not a legit fight. MacGregor was constantly leaning in and leaving his chin open on weak jabs. Any offensive fighter would have ended it in the first round. I found nothing enjoyable about the fight except the stoppage. I haven't watched boxing in years because it's completely corrupt and nonsense like this happens, but if I paid for something like that "fight", I'd want my money back.
Check out my two newest books. One covers the life and baseball career of Dots Miller, who was mentored by Honus Wagner as a rookie for the 1909 Pirates, then became a mentor for a young Rogers Hornsby. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CV633PNT The other has 13 short stories of players who were with the Pittsburgh Pirates during the regular season, but never played in a game for the team https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CY574YNS