NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 02-16-2009, 06:49 PM
Administrator

Default Antiques Roadshow Memo

Posted By: Dan Bretta

They've done an excellent job this new season with baseball memorabilia...I'm guessing that can be attributed to having Mike Gutierrez of Heritage on board...anyway on tonight's show they had a gal whose father owned the Independence, MO baseball team that was Mickey Mantle's first professional club and she had one of his paychecks endorsed on the back along with a team photo. Gutierrez appraised the check at $30,000-$50,000...she then said she has five of them total.

Be sure to watch next week's show as they showed a gal with a scrapbook that was filled with Cracker Jack cards.'

edited to add: I don't think they've had a show yet this new season that didn't include some type of baseball memorabilia.

Old 02-16-2009, 07:00 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Steve Murray

My suggestion to her:

Burn 4 of them.

I just saw the segment. Way, way overvalued IMO

Old 02-16-2009, 07:03 PM
Administrator

Not so sure it's overvalued. Possible earliest Mantle signatures with rock solid provenance...and I'm pretty sure that autographs are Gutierrez's specialty. I wouldn't burn any, but I'd let them out slooooowly.

Old 02-16-2009, 07:07 PM
Administrator

Posted By: peter ullman

I agree that the value was pretty close...until she said she had 4 more!!! I liked the picture w/Mantle closing his eyes, too.

Did it look like the 1914 CJ cards they showed at the end were in a cracker jack booklet/binder? You could see a 1914 Matty...in pretty nice looking shape, too.

Old 02-16-2009, 07:10 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jeremy

Dan - Thanks for the note... I need to start tuning in...

Also, I do know that Andy Broome (Beckett) will be on in March discussing Southern League (Chattanooga Minor League Sports) and one of the examples he discusses is T210-8 Red Border's....

Good stuff...

~ Jeremy ~

Old 02-16-2009, 07:53 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Andy Broome

It will be one of the Chattanooga episodes which will be in March, I believe.

I won't be on camera. Phil Weiss is actually doing the on-camera stuff with the host. I'm a full-time card guy, I'm not purdy enough for on-camera work. happy.gif

The segment was filmed in AT&T park in Chattanooga. The manequinn between them is wearing one of my uniforms. They discuss the uniform, one of my newest and favorite T-210's (Thanks Jeremy!)and a signed photo of Harmon Killebrew in his Chattanooga uniform. There is also a Jackie Mitchell auto they talk about but I didn't get to plug the book on air.

I have some pics I took while on-set but I haven't seen the finished product. I know based on my Fox deal they tend to go heavy on the editing.

Oh well. At least vintage baseball is making a strong showing this season.

Andy

[linked image]

Old 02-16-2009, 09:00 PM
Administrator

Can't wait for that episode Andy. They must be intentionally seeking out baseball stuff this year as I believe Clint H. was contacted for the Wichita show.

I found this on their site....looks like the video of the Mantle segment will be up tomorrow.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/roadshow/archive/200803A21.html

Old 02-16-2009, 09:35 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jodi Birkholm

Personally, I'd think that those payroll checks are realistically worth $5000-8000 apiece, but that's just me. I could be wrong. Regardless, my estimate makes room for future value. The earliest dated check carries the most weight, making room for a slightly descending value scale.

Old 02-16-2009, 10:08 PM
Administrator

Posted By: David Atkatz

Have to agree with Jodi, here.
I don't believe anyone would pay $30k+ for that check.

(The '53 Les Paul Goldtop is another question, entirely, though.)

Old 02-16-2009, 11:15 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bill Cornell

They're out here in San Jose in August for the first time. Had to enter a lottery (results in April) just to try to get 2 tickets. I don't think I have a single item that's worth bringing for evaluation, but I'm digging around.

I think they tend to overvalue stuff, but you only see 1% or less of what comes through the door each week. There's a hype factor at work.

Leigh & Leslie Keno (twin brothers who are stars in the antiques field) say that being on the show is the best PR they ever had, for what that's worth.

Bill

Old 02-17-2009, 01:43 AM
Administrator

Posted By: David Goff

This is one of my favorite pieces they did on baseball. A guy bought a 1950's uniform for $50 20yrs ago and it turned out to be a 1951 Willie Mays Minneapolis Millers uniform. Appraised for $60,000-$80,000. Pretty cool...

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/roadshow/archive/200401A24.html

Old 02-17-2009, 04:41 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Mark T

In August 2008 i went to the Hartford, CT show. I brought a few baseball cards. I already knew the value but was hoping to get on TV.

You stand in a big line then when its your turn to enter the main area you get divided up into different categories (Sports, Paintings, Glassware). The very polite helpers directed me to the appropriate tables. I think they were hoping for a T206 Wagner....and i joked a bit before i showed them my cards, i said "would you guys know anything about a T206 Honus Wagner card". Their eyes lit up but i think they knew i was kidding.

When i did show them my cards, 2 gentlemen looked at them for 30 seconds and said "you can get the value on-line" and seemed uninterested even though they were pretty high value cards.

Oh well, the tickets were free and my son enjoyed the few hours spent there.

Old 02-17-2009, 08:29 AM
Administrator

Posted By: joe

I took these 2 items to the show in Las Vegas in the late 90's.

I did not get on TV, the sports guy seemed more interested in the advertising piece for the Trophy, not the Trophy itself. He said he would put it in an auction and start at $1000.00.

Joe

[linked image] [linked image]

Ty Cobb, Spikes flying!

Old 02-17-2009, 09:30 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Joann

Mark,

I've read that the AR does not want to put anyone on TV if they think the person already knows the value of the item. Things that are easily valued (like online wiht bb cards) or very knowledgable persons bringing in items (who would also presumably know the value) are almost automatically rejected for TV consideration.

I guess they are going for the "holy cow and are you kidding that old thing??" reactions that make better TV, as opposed to wanting to make it some kind of showcase for known high-value antiques.

Once in awhile I see people on the show that have maybe had a recent appraisal or at least seem to have some kind of idea of worth, so I wasn't sure if what I'd read was true. Your experience makes me believe that it is.

J

Old 02-17-2009, 12:10 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Ricky Y

Yes nice to see bb stuff on the roadshow. I agree about who gets on or not...its the suprise element that makes the cut. I think they are more leary now too..and scrutinize the appraisals. I remember the Civil War dealer/appraiser who was kicked off for bringing in a ringer..who supposedly brought a rare sword onto the show without knowing what it was..turned out he and the dealer were in on it from the beginning.

I too think that Mantle check would have brought big $'s if it was the only one...I think a couple thousand dollars a piece is realistic.

Ricky Y

Old 02-17-2009, 10:51 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Steven

A few months back I saw a little girl's shoe that had been signed by Ruth and Gehrig. The provenance was good. A newspaper did a story about the girl and the presenter had the original clipping. Of course the girl kept wearing the shoe and wore the signatures off! A good story nonetheless.

Old 02-19-2009, 01:54 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Bottom of the Ninth

The Cracker Jacks, for those who did not see the link.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/roadshow/video/donut_wm.html

Old 02-19-2009, 02:14 AM
Administrator

Posted By: davidcycleback

One of my favorite examples of provenance was for a Babe Ruth game used bat in a Lelands auction. The consignor was an old man who as a kid won the bat as first prize in a spelling bee or some such contest. Included with the bat was an original newspaper article naming the guy as the contest winner, plus a letter from Babe Ruth saying in effect "Congratulations. Here's of my game bats."

Old 02-19-2009, 02:15 AM
Administrator

Posted By: davidcycleback

double post

Old 02-19-2009, 05:30 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Frank Wakefield

Brian Marren, the 'expert', seems to think Joe Jackson is in the Hall.

Old 02-19-2009, 07:08 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jodi Birkholm

Frank,

I assure you that was simply a slip of the tongue on Brian's part if that's what he said.

Old 02-19-2009, 07:19 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Matt

Greg - thanks for the link. Not sure I agree that the 1914 CJ Matty is "by far the most scarce Cracker Jack card", but certainly the most valuable.

My Trade/Sale Page

Old 02-19-2009, 07:26 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Mike

Where is Brian Marren?