NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 09-17-2016, 10:36 PM

Default Big 1916 NYC Plaque P/U...

photo 1916 NY Rowing Plaque_zps9oapuyrt.jpg

Picked up this 23" x 20" plaque today...shot an offer late last night...they countered a little over my offer...Apparently there is a small part missing above the illustration...which bugged me...but the more I considered it...it's from the Big Apple...and I've never come across anything like it from there ...Looks a little like Gorham's work...once in hand I'll look for the markings...but bottom line has all the stuff I like in a trophy...awarded and engraved...has exact date!...names the crew members...great wood backing...AND...killer engraved illustration...I can't recall such a detailed engraved scene on a plaque...30 years of looking for this stuff and you know when it's a go...a little imperfection or not...Essentially the stuff's so rare you have to be forgiving sometimes...It's not like mainstream memorabilia where you can wait for one in better condition...since you'll likely never see another...I don't see any dried residue in the crevasses so I don't think they tried to polish it...that's a good thing...

photo s-l1600 3_zps6i8f7whn.jpg

photo close 1_zps8vny86me.png

photo Names_zpsnjqiysv6.png

photo Chicago Daily News_zpswwqowftr.png

Last edited by CarltonHendricks; 09-17-2016 at 10:44 PM.
Old 09-18-2016, 06:50 AM
R.J. Hinners

Very nice, Carlton.

You certainly have a knack for uncovering gems!
Old 09-18-2016, 08:44 PM

Default Interesting

Thanks R.J...

Turns out this plaque has an interesting history...The website NYRowing.org has a very good history page which gives how the New York Rowing Association was formed and how it apparently became the umbrella association of all rowing in the New York City area from 1914... encompassing 25 rowing clubs around NYC...

..."On March 2, 1914 following several years of discussion, the Association and the other local rowing associations (Hudson River Regatta Association, New York Bay and Long Island Association) as well as the independent rowing clubs in northern New Jersey merged with the Association and it adopted its current name "New York Rowing Association". This movement towards consolidation was lead by James Pilkington (President of National Association of Amateur Oarsmen, today known as the U.S.R.A.), James Miller (New York Athletic Club), and Richard Sturcke (Woodcliff Boat Club). Over 25 rowing clubs constituted the original membership and each club was placed into one of three divisions (Harlem, Hudson and New Jersey). The merged local associations then "turned over any trophies, cups, and prizes held by them for competition" to the Association which continued to host regattas under the terms of the original donors."....-NYRowing.org History Page

It's likely two years later in 1916 there would have still been at least 25 clubs that participated in the regatta my plaque is for...so sounds like there may have been a good amount of competition for the Intermediate Four Gig race...

Last edited by CarltonHendricks; 09-18-2016 at 10:16 PM.
Old 09-19-2016, 06:09 AM
Rob

Right up your artery, Carlton!