NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-21-2007, 11:24 PM
Administrator

Default Newbie with N28 Cap Anson question

Posted By: David

First of all I wanted to say that I have been reading the posts here for a couple of weeks and have learned more in that time than in previous 5 years. Thanks. I purchased approx. 30 N28s including a Cap Anson a few months ago. The cards range from VG to EXMT. I have yet to send them in for grading because of the PSA vs. SGC debate. I have never sent a card to grade before. In my humble opinion, especially on N28s, the SGC grades are way stricter. I have a SGC 80 Jack Glasscock that I cant imagine looked any better in 1887 going into a pack. Also I hate the fact that N28s slide in the PSA holders. Well, I guess I answered that but that is not the reason for the post. The Anson card seems to have a rough cut on the bottom. I have no reason to believe they are trimmed in any way. It is aged even on all edges. The seller was a reputable person and the cards all seem to measure. How much of a point grade/drop will this get from SGC? Besides the bottom cut it is as good as any 6 I have seen and as good as some 7's. Why doesn't SGC have a 6.5? Any educated guesses or opinions would be appreciated. Sorry for the wavy Glasscock scan. My computer skills are somewhat limited. The last 2 computers I owned before this one was a 386 and a Commodore 128. Any tips on scans/scanning would be helpful so I could post better scans. Thanks in advance for any help or advice. David

Old 04-22-2007, 12:31 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Larry

Even though the card has ex/nm corners, it will likely drop due to the edge chipping. I would guess final grade of PSA-5/SGC-60

Old 04-22-2007, 08:18 AM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

From my limmited experience with these type cards the chipping is fairly common. Also it looks like the Glasscock has the same chipping, although a little less severe, which might be the reason for the downgrade to an 80. A 115 year old piece of cardboard generally doesn't hold up perfectly to time....Those are very nice cards and welcome to the board....best regards

Old 04-22-2007, 08:46 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Fred C

Welcome!

Nice Anson. I'd go with SGC and I'm guessing an 80 and possibly an 84 on a good day. That card has more positives going for it and the slight chipping at the bottom only slightly detracts from the overall appeal.

Old 04-22-2007, 10:20 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Frank Evanov

I am a little worried about the wavy lower border of your Anson. Here's mine:

Frank

Old 04-22-2007, 01:24 PM
Administrator

Posted By: David

Thanks for the input. I have been collecting vintage for only a year. Honestly I never thought about chipping. I was more concerned with trimming, but with the seller, I knew it was not trimmed. I was concerned more with a miscut. Most Ansons I have seen, in my limited experience, have the bat almost touching on the top of the card. As in the nice example Frank posted. Thanks Frank. Again thanks for the responses. I hope to contribute my small, wait tiny, amount of knowledge in the future.
David