NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Football Cards Forum

Old 12-17-2017, 04:54 PM
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs

Default Do you care much about today's NFL?

I haven't been around much lately and haven't been doing much football collecting. I did get back on the football card horse this afternoon with a few commons for the '65 Philly set I am going back to work on.

Lately I have been thinking . The football cards I collect tend to be from the 1960s. Someday I may work back farther in time, but I really like 60s football. Anyway, a lot of you guys collect prewar football, while others collect 70s, 80s, etc. No matter what era of football cards you collect, how much does your like/dislike of today's NFL impact your collecting? Or does it factor in at all?

I never expected it to happen, but I find myself caring about today's NFL less and less with every passing year. I am 44 and even five years ago, I would not have thought possible my borderline indifference to today's NFL. There are a few different reasons for that, and I DO NOT want this to turn into a debate on the issues like players not standing for the National Anthem and such. I come here to get away from reality and "news." This place is an escape for me.

I just always assumed my collecting tied in somehow with watching the games. However, I am finding that it is more about handling the cards, building sets, accomplishing something, etc. and remembering the names of old players more than it is about what is on tv these days.

This has turned into a ramble, and I am sorry about that. I will go back to where I started: does today's NFL have much of an impact on your collecting, or has collecting football for its own sake taken on a life of its own?
Old 12-17-2017, 05:59 PM
Rob

An interesting question. I don't collect modern football, and just casually follow today's NFL with no real favorite team. I find myself watching games/highlights from the '70s on youtube as well as a few classic games I have picked up on DVD.

My lack of real interest in today's game has not dampened my interest in vintage football though. It seems collecting and watching has become more of a nostalgic experience.
Old 12-17-2017, 06:08 PM
Todd Tobias

I have LOVE the AFL, and collecting my signed card sets, but I haven't watched an NFL game in 5-6 seasons, and see no change to that coming in the near future.

I feel that the game has become so corporate that it has taken away any chance of spontaneous fun. Couple that with the insane pricing structure at games, the seemingly endless stream of players acting like hoodlums, and the fact that my Chargers left San Diego, and I have no more interest. Give me football history all day long, but keep your contemporary NFL. I don't want it.
Old 12-17-2017, 07:15 PM
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFLfan View Post
I have LOVE the AFL, and collecting my signed card sets, but I haven't watched an NFL game in 5-6 seasons, and see no change to that coming in the near future.

I feel that the game has become so corporate that it has taken away any chance of spontaneous fun. Couple that with the insane pricing structure at games, the seemingly endless stream of players acting like hoodlums, and the fact that my Chargers left San Diego, and I have no more interest. Give me football history all day long, but keep your contemporary NFL. I don't want it.
I can relate to much of what you said, especially the Chargers angle. I am 44 years old and started cheering for the San Diego Chargers at age 8. Despite the fact that I live in Arkansas, the move just sucked out most of the life my NFL fandom had left. I take refuge in the way football used to be through old cardboard and books.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Old 12-17-2017, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFLfan View Post
I just saw the open to tonight's game with the video package with Carrie Underwood. It was so slick and over the top

But, EVERTYHING is supersize now. Houses, cars, youth sports. I could go on.
Old 12-18-2017, 06:40 AM
Jeff P

I collect vintage football because it reminds me of my youth and I love the history of the sport. I don't associate collecting with watching sports on TV as I don't collect modern things. In fact, I associate watching football much more with fantasy football! I think they are very much tied together now.

I do watch a lot of NFL games, though. Even thought it has changed considerably and there are certainly aspects of it that are less than desirable, when a great game is played (like yesterday's Pats / Steelers game), I still really enjoy it. Except for that bogus catch rule the NFL has that needs to be changed!

Plus I'm resisting the urge to become that old man shaking his fist at the sea. Things change in the world and older generations have been complaining about younger generations and their style/habits for thousands of years. I just don't get worked up about it.

jeff

Last edited by jefferyepayne; 12-18-2017 at 06:41 AM.
Old 12-18-2017, 08:09 AM
John

Quote:
Originally Posted by jefferyepayne View Post
In fact, I associate watching football much more with fantasy football! I think they are very much tied together now.
Same as Jeff for me. Not sure if others have found this, but as I've gotten older with family commitments etc., I don't have that passion for a "favorite team" anymore. I'm finally in a fantasy leauge with some folks I know though and like monitoring my team for bragging rights

I don't think anything that could happen in today's NFL would diminish my interest in the history of the game, players who played for the love of it, weren't paid much, etc. Football can be a nice entertainment option for Fall/Winter weekends, but collecting, reading/writing about history is actually more flexible and can be done on a random Wednesday night in May as easily as a November Sunday afternoon.
Old 12-17-2017, 07:18 PM
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurri17 View Post
An interesting question. I don't collect modern football, and just casually follow today's NFL with no real favorite team. I find myself watching games/highlights from the '70s on youtube as well as a few classic games I have picked up on DVD.

My lack of real interest in today's game has not dampened my interest in vintage football though. It seems collecting and watching has become more of a nostalgic experience.
Your last paragraph personifies a big part of what motivated me to start this thread. I am really curious to see if this is the prevailing attitude among collectors. It has become that way for me as well. Thanks for your reply. What about everyone else?

Old 12-17-2017, 08:41 PM

Figgity fuk, fuk and triple fuk the NFL...Shit is a straight up soap opera and they got dudes roped in like a mo fo...

Criminals hailed as gods, over sexaulized females advertised directly to our eyeballs, poisons peddled directly to our youth in 30 second increments, blatant blind patriotism conditioning the weak through every screen, stadiums burden cities, fans fight and kill each other, same shit, different year, different name.

And quite frankly I don't need to watch stage show monkeys do 3 pirouettes, 2 booty shakes and an arm extension every time they get a first down...

NFL is beneath me. 6ish games in 3 years, none this year and just committed to not watching the Super Bowl today...That's the biggest farce of it all...
Old 12-18-2017, 09:11 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvnkvnkvn View Post
Figgity fuk, fuk and triple fuk the NFL...Shit is a straight up soap opera and they got dudes roped in like a mo fo...

Criminals hailed as gods, over sexaulized females advertised directly to our eyeballs, poisons peddled directly to our youth in 30 second increments, blatant blind patriotism conditioning the weak through every screen, stadiums burden cities, fans fight and kill each other, same shit, different year, different name.

And quite frankly I don't need to watch stage show monkeys do 3 pirouettes, 2 booty shakes and an arm extension every time they get a first down...

NFL is beneath me. 6ish games in 3 years, none this year and just committed to not watching the Super Bowl today...That's the biggest farce of it all...
LOL. I can't stand it either. I chastise my wife when she watches it. I hope it dies a sudden death but know it won't. Every single player that kneels during the National Anthem should have been permanently banned immediately. Let them get a job where they have to use their intelligence. My guess is most would stay unemployed. When I set up at the Philly Show I asked a few friends about the situation. They mostly felt the same way, but then they were veterans too. I honestly don't know why or how anyone watches those thugs any longer.

Last edited by Leon; 12-18-2017 at 09:12 AM.
Old 12-18-2017, 09:36 AM
Mark

Great topic!

Yes, the current state of the NFL had a direct effect on my football collecting. For the last several years I have exclusively collected 19th century Ivy League football memorabilia. As many know, American Football began on those exclusive college campuses. The vast majority of student athletes played the game back then just to represent their alma mater. A robust and brawny body became an important part of the masculine ideal then and football exemplified this trait. The best athletes were also honorable men, who went on to become soldiers, doctors, lawyers, clergymen, congressmen and even President of the United States. These are the athletes worthy of my recognition and collecting focus. Football players today have nothing in common with those early pioneers.

Last edited by cfhofer; 12-18-2017 at 09:39 AM.
Old 12-18-2017, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
Every single player that kneels during the National Anthem should have been permanently banned immediately. Let them get a job where they have to use their intelligence.
Although, I used Leon's quote to start this off, this ain't directed at him. This for everyone's mind. hahah

The National Anthem shouldn't even be played at sporting events. The U.S. flag represents the death of millions of people at the expense of each of our hands. The anthem itself is about death and destruction.

The military pays the NFL to pump all that patriotic bullshit down the drones watching. Human drones, not the drones we as a country send to kill innocent families.

Blind patriotism is conditioned through television screens all over this country and it is disgusting...It is sickening...

If you still think wars are fought for freedom, think again...Oil, resources, drugs, power, and money. Those are the primary factors for war.

Do you think it is a coincidence that we are stuck in Afghanistan? Look how much opium is over there, now look at the opium epidemic throughout our country. Hmmm...

Look back on how the U.S. trained Bin Laden, now look how many times these radical groups have somehow got U.S. weapons. That seems to be a cycle...

We give a shitload of money to Israel and do you know what is really going on over there? Palestinian people aren't being treated very nicely. Look into how much natural gas is over in that region. Hmmm...

Damn, I didn't think I was going to piss you guys off till later tonight, when I posted a link to my new website that throws a nice shot at this forum. All in good fun of course. hahahahahahahhahah
Old 12-24-2017, 04:59 AM
Daniel Elsass

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvnkvnkvn View Post

Is it too much for me to declare that I believe we are long lost brothers?

Screw the NFL and screw the NBA while we're at it. Not long ago the NFL and NBA had me in their tight grasp and I felt as if I could not miss one single minute of my team playing and that includes the fact that I am 6-hours ahead of EST so an 8 PM game comes on at 2 AM here... no longer. When that POS KrapErnick took a knee and so many followed suit in both leagues via various disgusting displays against what it fully means (to me) to be an American = I said to hell with them all. I haven't watched a single game from either league this year and have zero intention of ever doing so again plus I try very hard to not even buy products from companies that support either league; I simply do not care to support a league full of overpaid babies that use their uniform to make a stand. Frankly I don't give two-shits what they do outside of work but do NOT bring that crap my way when I am trying to relax and watch a professional sporting event.

Some say "oh, they are just applying their 1st Amendment rights... blah blah blah" but the fact remains that this would of course be OK if they were OFF THE CLOCK. As Kaepernick made his statement by what he did not do; stand for The National Anthem. He failed to realize that the only thing that was his was he himself and the talent that he possessed at that time. Not the cleats on his feet, not the helmet at his side, not a single thread of uniform apparel shy perhaps his jock supporter and socks… not one thing. When traveling for the team he boards team chartered airplanes and buses, he stays in hotels paid for by his team, and so on and when they are on their home field he parks his expensive car in team protective parking, uses their showers, puts on their uniform, and in all senses represents completely and fully the team not thyself. He therefore loses the right to represent any one single aspect of what his own self represents on the outside of all of this while on team property or within the constraints of traveling for said team because he does not represent self; he represents the team. Of course he is free, in accordance with his 1st Amendment rights, to do whatever the hell he wants when not associated with the team or the NFL. Conversely the team(s), the NFL, and the fans, have every right to not approve of him as a person or of his actions and can decide if the individual is worthy of donning team apparel and they owe no one an answer as to why they feel he is not. This applies from a fan perspective where I do not have to support their acts and simply refuse to.

Our military, police, fire, and countless other entities of professional standards are held to very tight rules about protesting. Put on a uniform and you might as well forget it or risk your career and quite possibly legal responses to the individual using their professional standing to advance their personal causes.

Some say that these guys are just “entertainers” and I’d tend to agree BUT they also put on that uniform and agree that they are part of a team, an organization, and a league that is bigger than just the single entity. Musicians are free to declare their personal message and are not in any way similar to athletes because of the affiliation to higher entities that is unless they oppose their higher management or the President during the wrong timeframe – just ask the Dixie Chicks band when their entire career tanked because of their comments. So a time and a place even for those without restrictions…

People go to athletic events to see the spectacle and to not have to debate “what the hell is the issue with that person” or similar. Just play the game, collect your multi-million dollar salaries, and protest on your own time and while not in uniform.
Old 12-24-2017, 08:52 AM
Bruce Mattioli

Other than the disrespectful kneeling I still watch and follow the NFL. I'll always love watching the Patriots win and Jets lose..
Old 12-24-2017, 03:49 PM
David Riley

Oh, I'll always watch. Though the sport is night and day different than what it was back in my first year watching in 1978. As for collecting, no moderns to speak of it. Finally started dabbling in football HOF rookies from the 50's - 70's. There's tremendous value in football cards from that era IMO
Old 12-28-2017, 06:40 PM

Will always love football, but will also admit that the blush is off the rose. I love my vintage stuff, but stopped collecting in the early 2000's due to manufactured scarcity in the hobby and disillusion with my beloved Raiders signing guys whom i could not stand (Sapp, Moss and Romanowski). I found myself unable to cheer for them any longer and let my season tickets lapse. I actually get more enjoyment lately watching college football. While i doubt I will ever let go of my vintage football cards, I rarely purchase modern cards anymore. http://imageevent.com/supplex55/rare...cardcollection
Old 12-28-2017, 08:23 PM
Sam Lemoine

I tried to collect one year after Topps got out of making football cards. The chase cards to complete standard sets was just too much. So, it appears that I am no longer collecting new stuff. But, that is because of card manufacturers trying to suck the last penny out of me, not because of the game. I still love the game.
Old 12-29-2017, 07:28 AM
Jeff P

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowderedH2O View Post
I tried to collect one year after Topps got out of making football cards. The chase cards to complete standard sets was just too much. So, it appears that I am no longer collecting new stuff. But, that is because of card manufacturers trying to suck the last penny out of me, not because of the game. I still love the game.
Same for me, Sam. When Topps stopped, I stopped.

jeff
Old 12-29-2017, 05:30 PM
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs

I started this thread and have reflected on my thoughts since. It is hard to explain, but my overall interest in the NFL had started to wane even before the kneeling and associated stuff. I don't know, maybe it is just a product of raising kids, having a career, and just not having the time I used to have. My passion for my favorite team really focuses on the past and not the present so there isn't always that drive to tune in and watch them either. Fantasy football does it for some, but I just don't have any interest in that.

I think what it comes down to is that I am far more interested in collecting than I am in watching. The two don't necessarily have to go hand in hand unless one collects exclusively modern cards and memorabilia, I suppose.

Over the last couple of years, I have developed an interest in vintage photography. It is, for me at least, an exciting new outlet. I really enjoy the images, many of which are truly unique. Now the last year and a half, my desire to collect football (especially but not exclusively AFL) has surfaced, and I am having a lot of fun. Within the last week or so, these two interests have started to merge, and fun times are ahead! Neither of these pursuits, I am finding, take my current feelings towards the NFL into account. The interests fed by my collecting truly stand on their own.

Old 12-29-2017, 07:22 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

ok Kevin, you win. I am back to the baseball card side. And to get back to topic, I still don't care for the NFL but then again, haven't liked it in about 20 yrs or so....
Old 12-29-2017, 07:24 PM
Jeff P

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagebaseballcardguy View Post
Over the last couple of years, I have developed an interest in vintage photography. It is, for me at least, an exciting new outlet. I really enjoy the images, many of which are truly unique. Now the last year and a half, my desire to collect football (especially but not exclusively AFL) has surfaced, and I am having a lot of fun. Within the last week or so, these two interests have started to merge, and fun times are ahead! Neither of these pursuits, I am finding, take my current feelings towards the NFL into account. The interests fed by my collecting truly stand on their own.
That's an awesome area to explore, Robert. In my opinion vintage football photos are waaaay undervalued. You can find images that were used to create football cards, images of early stars that had no cards at all, images of famous teams, game action photos, etc.

jeff

Last edited by jefferyepayne; 12-30-2017 at 05:24 AM.
Old 12-29-2017, 07:31 PM
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs

Quote:
That's an awesome area to explore, Robert. In my opinion vintage football photos are waaaay undervalued. You can find images that were used to create football cards, images of early stars that had not cards at all, images of famous teams, game action photos, etc.

jeff
Thanks, Jeff. I will always collect cards, but I find the photographs to be a nice change of pace. I especially like the game action shots...Kind of little moments frozen in time. The images used to make cards can be cool also. Like my card collecting interests, I am especially into the AFL, but this niche will allow me to go farther back, too. I am also drawn to photographs from the 1920s, 1930s and so on which simply capture game action on a football field of no one in particular. .just the game.

Old 12-30-2017, 05:26 AM
Jeff P

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagebaseballcardguy View Post
Thanks, Jeff. I will always collect cards, but I find the photographs to be a nice change of pace. I especially like the game action shots...Kind of little moments frozen in time. The images used to make cards can be cool also. Like my card collecting interests, I am especially into the AFL, but this niche will allow me to go farther back, too. I am also drawn to photographs from the 1920s, 1930s and so on which simply capture game action on a football field of no one in particular. .just the game.

It IS a moment frozen in time! Game action shots rock. Football game action photos / newswires would be a great new thread.

jeff
Old 12-30-2017, 07:54 AM
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs

Quote:
It IS a moment frozen in time! Game action shots rock. Football game action photos / newswires would be a great new thread.

jeff
Good idea, Jeff. I will have some 1960s material in my hands soon and will be more than happy to show it off.