NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 08-25-2022, 10:34 AM

Default Heritage or PWCC?

Hi guys, was hoping to get a bit of help from the experts. I have a wonderfully centered psa graded 3.5 1952 Topps Mickey Mantle that I am potentially going to sell.

I'm looking at PWCC, Heritage, and REA.

My question is, is there that much difference in auction houses or will buyers of this particular card find it no matter where it is? I know when I am searching for a particular card I look everywhere for the one I love.

Appreciate any input. Thanks!

Larry Cohen

Last edited by secondhandwatches; 08-25-2022 at 01:07 PM.
Old 08-25-2022, 10:41 AM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Decent people will avoid bidding in PWCC due to the fraud ring they’ve ran. Thus, it won’t matter much and most hobbyists will bid anywhere.
Old 08-25-2022, 10:43 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Sorry to interrupt but did you read this rule at the top of every page and in bold letters?

"If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it."

Quote:
Originally Posted by secondhandwatches View Post
Hi guys, was hoping to get a bit of help from the experts. I have a wonderfully centered psa graded 3.5 1952 Topps Mickey Mantle that I am potentially going to sell.

PWCC offered me -12.5% commission on the sale and can go in their next premier auction.

Heritage offered me -5% commission on the sale with it going in their next auction.

My question is, is there that much difference in auction houses or will buyers of this particular card find it no matter where it is?

Appreciate any input. Thanks!
Old 08-25-2022, 10:46 AM

QUOTE=Leon;2256712]Sorry to interrupt but did you read this rule at the top of every page and in bold letters?

"If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it."[/QUOTE]

Thank you, added.
Old 08-25-2022, 11:12 AM
Peter Spaeth

I would not limit my choices to two. Ask some other significant AHs what they would do -- REA, LOTG, Mile High, Memory Lane, Goldin.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 08-25-2022, 02:21 PM
Nicol0 Pin.oli

Default Some observations

Since we're discussing specific businesses here, my name is Nicolo Renato Pinoli, and I approve this message.

I think the biggest question is whether there is any reason to believe that you might net more from one auction house than from another. Certainly fees are part of the calculus. At the same time, if one auction house charges 5% more, but the sales price is 20% higher than the other site, then you come out ahead.

So it strikes me that it's largely a question of whether there is likely to be any difference in the audiences reached by any given auction house, and if so, whether those differences are significant enough to result in a higher sales price for your item.

As you've already identified, there is also a timing difference that comes into play here, since PWCC seems like they will likely be able to get your item into their auction sooner. If you're looking to get paid sooner, and/or worried that the market might drop significantly in the interim, then this can certainly be a factor.

While I've certainly purchased from just about every major and minor auction house in the past, I've only ever used PWCC to consign items, mostly because they are geographically close to me here in Portland, and I have historically been able to physically drop items off, rather than having to ship them.

I will also observe that PWCC has changed their business model. They used to sell over eBay, and have now switched to selling entirely on their own site, including also sending out a smallish glossy auction catalogette of sorts every month for their monthly premier auction. Obviously, eBay has a built-in audience of buyers. I couldn't begin to really attempt to evaluate the size of PWCC's audience on its site, although my sense is that it's probably pretty good. My sense is that it might be smaller than what you see at Heritage, although there's always a question of how much smaller. Ultimately, all it takes is 2 more people deciding to go nuts on your item to drive up the price.

You might want to try to do some research to the extent that it's possible, looking at similar items over the last 6-12 months that were sold on each platform to see whether there are price differences. It could be difficult, maybe even impossible to match them up perfectly between the item, the grade, and the timing, all of which could definitely impact the price. But you might be able to find a handful of items that are close enough to attempt to evaluate whether there's really a statistically meaningful difference in results.

Without doing this research myself, and just based on what I see happening with items that I bid on and track at both of these sites, my sense is that you might get a little bit more at Heritage, potentially because their audience is slightly larger. But I wouldn't be willing to suggest anything more definitive, without attempting to really dig into the data and do some really exciting analysis.

Any way you slice it, my guess is that with your item and in today's market, you're looking at several tens of thousands of dollars. It's just a question of whether you might be able to squeeze a few extra grand out of it by using one site instead of another.
Old 08-25-2022, 05:45 PM
Nicol0 Pin.oli

Default A few more thoughts

Since I clearly can't help myself, a few more thoughts that came to mind:

I think there's a lot more randomness to the auction world than we like to admit sometimes. In my experience, it's not uncommon for virtually the same item to close within a few minutes or hours of each other, even on the same auction platform, and for the prices to vary by 10% or more.

Admittedly, all of the "buy the card, not the holder" people will suggest that there were differences in the card, even if the holders were the same. But at the same time, my interpretation is that it's just the natural variation and randomness that comes when you have humans involved in buying illiquid and inherently unique assets.

So the bottom line is that even if you do a lot of research, think you know which auction house will give you the best outcomes, and then execute on it, the results might still not turn out just the way you expect. But hopefully it turns out that the randomness results in a higher price for your item!
Old 08-25-2022, 07:50 PM
Is Mudville so bad?

LOTG & REA have impeccable reputations, plus they're the only two auction houses that, when I called, the owner picked up and took the time to answer any questions I had. That means more to me than squeezing out another 1% on commission. You can trust both Al & Brian to take care of you and your very significant card. Good luck!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/183872512@N04/
-
Old 08-26-2022, 09:06 AM
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs

Sterling Sports Auctions is another good one.
Old 08-26-2022, 09:43 AM
Jeffrey Kuhr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey2296 View Post
LOTG & REA have impeccable reputations, plus they're the only two auction houses that, when I called, the owner picked up and took the time to answer any questions I had. That means more to me than squeezing out another 1% on commission. You can trust both Al & Brian to take care of you and your very significant card. Good luck!
There many good auction houses mentioned and LOTG and REA are very good. Most auction houses mentioned have the exposure to a good following of bidders. Your card being an Iconic card will do very well in any. The big factors is where you will net the most.
In the case that you mentioned
Heritage -5% and PWCC -12.5%. That 7.5% back could be big money on your card.
A PSA 3.5 went for 78K in REA on 6/20/22. (the centering is ok left to right but not top to bottom)
for you that would have netted you an extra $5850 if you got the same sale price.

The key is do you think you will get that much more in the Sale price at Heritage to make up for the difference.

Tough call. Heritage is my preferred choice of those two and they do have a huge base of bidders and huge marketing to support and drive awareness.

The commission # makes it a hard choice for me

regardless

Great Card and Good Luck

Jeff Kuhr

https://www.flickr.com/photos/144250058@N05/

Looking for
1920 Heading Home Ruth Cards
1933 Uncle Jacks Candy Babe Ruth Card
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Joe Jackson Cards 1916 Advertising Backs
1910 Old Mills Joe Jackson
1914 Boston Garter Joe Jackson
1915 Cracker Jack Joe Jackson
1911 Pinkerton Joe Jackson
Shoeless Joe Jackson Autograph
Old 08-26-2022, 01:31 PM
Jeffrey Kuhr

as a quick FYI

I just found a 1952 Mantle on SCP auctions that's an SGC 3.5 with some time left in the auction.

IT is currently at 32K before BP

Jeff Kuhr

Looking for
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Old 08-26-2022, 09:53 PM
Nicol0 Pin.oli

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrreality68 View Post
as a quick FYI

I just found a 1952 Mantle on SCP auctions that's an SGC 3.5 with some time left in the auction.

IT is currently at 32K before BP
Not to get into a raging debate about the relative merits between SGC and PSA, but PSA 3.5s usually sell for more than SGC 3.5s. Naturally, there will always be some exceptions to the rule, such as the SGC 9.5 1952 Mantle currently at auction with Heritage that I’m sure will top 8 figures. But with 9.5 not being an eligible grade at PSA, I guess we’ll never know how they compare economically.

That and the last day and even the last few hours of most of these auctions can see the price double or triple, or then some… but it will be interesting to see where it lands when the SCP auction is finished.
Old 08-26-2022, 10:43 PM

My experience as a buyer says that a certain company's exposure is reduced since moving from ebay to independent. The reason is lack of automatic search reminders by email (that ebay provided), and their own bizarre lack of simple email reminders about the start of each auction. I know they run on a set schedule and I could set my own reminder on my phone to check for new items, but the fact is that I miss them every other week (at least) from forgetting they are going on.

If there is a setting on their site for this I haven't found it. And maybe I'm the only one too dumb to figure it out, but even if so, their bidder list is whatever it used to be minus one. If there are others like me, then it is minus more.

They also now have a fast/complex extended bidding process which seems almost impossible to figure out or memorize unless using it often (an option ruled out for me by the aforementioned issue). So for those two problems combined I have decided not to consign there because it seems to me like their system hinders item exposure.

But like others said, this card in particular you're moving is the big one, and so those in the market for it are likely to be motivated to find it anywhere. For more modest items maybe not so much.
Old 08-27-2022, 06:27 AM
Jeffrey Kuhr

Quote:
Originally Posted by raulus View Post
Not to get into a raging debate about the relative merits between SGC and PSA, but PSA 3.5s usually sell for more than SGC 3.5s. Naturally, there will always be some exceptions to the rule, such as the SGC 9.5 1952 Mantle currently at auction with Heritage that I’m sure will top 8 figures. But with 9.5 not being an eligible grade at PSA, I guess we’ll never know how they compare economically.

That and the last day and even the last few hours of most of these auctions can see the price double or triple, or then some… but it will be interesting to see where it lands when the SCP auction is finished.
You are 100% right about that and I did not want to get into that it would have over complicated and taken caused an entire separate thread.
THe hard part to me is front eye appeal without seeing the card. Because it was mentioned the Card was well centered. IF it looks real good and the Centering is well centered then the price would jump higher than a PSA 3.5 that is not as well centered.

But again you are correct just trying to help and not over complicate

Jeff Kuhr

Looking for
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Old 08-27-2022, 08:27 PM
Nicol0 Pin.oli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empty77 View Post
My experience as a buyer says that a certain company's exposure is reduced since moving from ebay to independent. The reason is lack of automatic search reminders by email (that ebay provided), and their own bizarre lack of simple email reminders about the start of each auction. I know they run on a set schedule and I could set my own reminder on my phone to check for new items, but the fact is that I miss them every other week (at least) from forgetting they are going on.

If there is a setting on their site for this I haven't found it. And maybe I'm the only one too dumb to figure it out, but even if so, their bidder list is whatever it used to be minus one. If there are others like me, then it is minus more.

They also now have a fast/complex extended bidding process which seems almost impossible to figure out or memorize unless using it often (an option ruled out for me by the aforementioned issue). So for those two problems combined I have decided not to consign there because it seems to me like their system hinders item exposure.

But like others said, this card in particular you're moving is the big one, and so those in the market for it are likely to be motivated to find it anywhere. For more modest items maybe not so much.
Agree with your observations. In general, a bidder at that auction site has to be a lot more proactive, and in general I suspect that will lead to fewer bidders and lower prices. Naturally, for premier items, bidders will be happy to invest the time, but for the lower end, I would guess not.