NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-05-2009, 09:10 PM
Administrator

Default 1947 BOND BREAD and its "imposters"....show us your cards ?

Posted By: boxingcardman

I rescued George from a junk box on a dealer's table because of his association with the Jewish mob. Raft ran with a tough crowd as a kid but happened to be talented enough to have a different route out of poverty. He was a friend of several major crime figures, including Bugsy Siegel and Meyer Lansky.

Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectatos Nunc

Old 12-31-2009, 12:49 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archive View Post
Posted By: boxingcardman

I rescued George from a junk box on a dealer's table because of his association with the Jewish mob. Raft ran with a tough crowd as a kid but happened to be talented enough to have a different route out of poverty. He was a friend of several major crime figures, including Bugsy Siegel and Meyer Lansky.

He also was a pro boxer under the name Brownie Ranft. He had 17 fights before calling it quits.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 04-09-2020, 05:23 AM
Scott Russell

My favorite Bond Bread Card Does this enlighten or confuse?

Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions

Last edited by Aquarian Sports Cards; 04-09-2020 at 05:24 AM.
Old 04-09-2020, 06:26 AM
Ted Zanidakis

Default 1947 BOND BREAD cards

Hi Scott

Nothing unusual....check-out my Joe DiMaggio card here....same effect. The factory simply did not punch thru with their die-cut machine on those two corners.

A close look at your "square" corners shows an imprint of the die-cut. Same is true for my DiMaggio card.

TED Z

T206 Reference
Old 04-09-2020, 06:44 AM
Scott Russell

I noticed the impression from the missed cut, just thought I'd have some fun. I used to work in an ad agency that had it's own in-house print shop so I've seen some weird stuff and agree completely with your assessment. I also find it interesting how the curves aren't consistent. from shorter curves closer to the corner to curves that are slightly squared off, a lot of interesting things going on. Also I've never seen missed corner cuts on the same side, always seems to be opposite corners.

Hope you and yours are well and safe. See you...

...eventually!
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 05-04-2020, 12:51 PM
Michael Fried

Default Warren Cooper card from "Sports Star Subjects" set?

I'm new to net54baseball, but have carefully read all of the posts in this thread (which has been ongoing since 2008). Unfortunately, several posted scans have been lost over time from the problems with image hosting websites.

One picture of importance to me may have been in Post #4 (from 2008), a picture of the Warren Cooper card from the "Sports Star Subjects" set. Whatever the scan was in Post #4 no longer appears and the weblink that shows up in its place doesn't work. If the scan was the Warren Cooper card, could you post it again? If it wasn't the Cooper card, would someone kindly post a scan of the Cooper card from the "Sports Star Subjects" set?

Second, which player that appeared in the 1947 Homogenized Bond Bread set was replaced in the "Sports Star Subjects" set by the Warren Cooper card?

Thanks for your help. Mike
Old 04-19-2021, 12:55 PM
DM Vock

I just had an Enos Slaughter returned from SGC as a fake

I was sad about it. Got it at my local card store for like 10 bucks so was worth the chance
Old 04-19-2021, 01:20 PM
β∪τ∁ℏ †∪RΩεΓ

Quote:
Originally Posted by YankeeHotelFoxtrot View Post
I just had an Enos Slaughter returned from SGC as a fake

I was sad about it. Got it at my local card store for like 10 bucks so was worth the chance
Square or round corners?
Old 06-15-2021, 06:18 AM
Jamie

I am sure this is a dumb question, but when looking at SGC Pop report when you look up 1947 Bond Bread, which sub-category is the rounded corner listed as or is it just listed without a sub-category? I am assuming it is the version with 55 listed.

https://www.gosgc.com/pop-report/res...Bread/Baseball
Old 06-16-2021, 05:23 AM
Michael Fried

Good Question. I just checked the PSA website for an answer. I could no longer find in either PSA's population report nor its price guide a Bond Bread set with 55 graded cards (or 57 cards as I seem to remember). They now list only the "1947 Bond Bread Jackie Robinson" 13-card set with 333 cards graded and a set they call the "1947 Bond Bread Perforated Dual Sided." The perforated set is the ELGEE set produced by Louis Greenberg and Son discussed above and has nothing to do with Bond Bread. What has PSA now done with the regular 48 card sports set that Bond Bread inserted into bread packages?

Last edited by abctoo; 06-16-2021 at 05:23 AM.
Old 06-16-2021, 02:13 PM
I@n Cl@rke

Quote:
Originally Posted by abctoo View Post
Good Question. I just checked the PSA website for an answer. I could no longer find in either PSA's population report nor its price guide a Bond Bread set with 55 graded cards (or 57 cards as I seem to remember). They now list only the "1947 Bond Bread Jackie Robinson" 13-card set with 333 cards graded and a set they call the "1947 Bond Bread Perforated Dual Sided." The perforated set is the ELGEE set produced by Louis Greenberg and Son discussed above and has nothing to do with Bond Bread. What has PSA now done with the regular 48 card sports set that Bond Bread inserted into bread packages?
I don't think PSA has been grading these for years.
Old 06-16-2021, 08:57 PM
Jamie

Actually, I believe it was listed as Portrait with a population of 44.
Old 05-26-2022, 12:41 PM
Lonnie Nagel

This one WAS actually graded by SGC and they Identified as 1949 "Picture Pack"

s-l1604
Old 08-15-2022, 03:43 PM
Jamie

A SGC 7.5 sold for $31,200 (after BP). That was first one I have seen sold at auction in a little while.

Last edited by Schlesinj; 08-15-2022 at 03:48 PM.
Old 09-05-2022, 09:57 PM
Michael Fried

Default Thanks to butchie_t. Sorry so late in posting.

Member butchie_t was kind enough to provide black & white pictures of the Festburg cards some time ago. I'm sorry it took so long for me to post them.

This is the tag he received with the set in 1990.

Once again, thanks butchie_t. Sorry for the delay.

Mike
Old 04-27-2023, 01:44 PM
Travis
Tra,vis Tr,ail

Does anyone know why the TPGs won't assign a numeric grade to these authentic 1947 Bond Bread Jackies with the rounded corners anymore? They used to give out numeric grades, but it seems as though they're only signing "Authentic" in recent years (unless I'm wrong).