NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 12-22-2017, 03:05 PM
Weingarten's Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapolit1 View Post
Whether something is a type 1 photo is an opinion. It is not a fact. In some cases there is good evidence and in some cases it is sketchy. It is an educated opinion. If any of you are 100% sure looking at scans that somethingnisna Type 1 photograph, well more power to you.
Steve A. posted a Gehrig photo here last month and some of the most learned opinions on this board disagreed as to whether is was Type 1, 2 or 3. It’s not so simple.
1) "Whether something is a type 1 photo is an opinion. It is not a fact."
This blanket statement is WRONG Imo I, in fact, think photos are one of the things in the hobby that can be authenticated the tightest.
2)”If any of you are 100% sure looking at scans that something isna Type 1 photograph, well more power to you. “
THIS IS A SCENAREO ONLINE-diff than above. There is no way to tell 100 percent online I would agree. You can make educated conclusions but with fake stamps, fake aging of paper,,etc.. I would agree. Pictures can also be photo shopped or manipulated. this of course domes not go fir photo authentication in general.. just online.

If you think the photo hobby is so misguided.. why are you collecting the stuff? Why not collect something else that is more defined like.. cards, game used and autographs... yikes

I just don't get the negativity. Since you have singled out Henry.. can you give an example in the last auction where he was wrong or that he abused some magical power for his benefit? As stated, No one bats 100 percent.. but some have much higher averages

Www.weingartensvintage.com

https://www.facebook.com/WeingartensVintage

http://www.psacard.com/Articles/Arti...ben-weingarten

ALWAYS BUYING BABE RUTH RED SOX TYPE 1 PHOTOGRAPHS--->To add to my collection

Last edited by Forever Young; 12-22-2017 at 03:48 PM.
Old 12-22-2017, 03:09 PM
Weingarten's Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoeless Moe View Post
Not ness. true, Ben himself said the recent Ruth by Henry went for a steal, if he is the be all end all wouldn't it have obtained top dollar and not went for what Ben feels is below retail?
I never said it was a steal.. I said I thought it would go for more. It is a documented 1920, single, in your face batting photo and large at that. If you know Ruth photos... you know these type of attributes are rare. It is a great piece for what it is worth.
Somehow, a great thread about sharing pickups and stories turned negative. It is a damn shame.

Old 12-22-2017, 03:19 PM
Weingarten's Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by pherbener View Post
Not the same image. edit... actually after looking back at them, it is. My bad,,,
My guess is someone bought it as a vintage 1. No idea why they would do that even if they were not savvy as it is a 1939 image and the slug says 1945-prob because it was sold like that I guess. This is another example why the 2 years is relevant. I would rather have a pic off neg within two years rathe rthan later when he was a household name/many copies printed.
That said, it is not even off the original neg. They prob sent to psa and got letter and returned. Just a guess. In my opinion, it is labeled correctly by PSA as a type 4(off a dupe neg). IN THE LOWER LEFT, YOU CAN CLEARLY SEE THE EDGE OF THE PHOTO IT WAS TAKEN FROM. In other words, a picture of a picture.
To Rhy's credit, he ran in the right way the second time. Like everything, Mistakes happen and it is how one reacts to it and takes care of it that matters at the end of the day. MJ didn’t even hit every game winner!

Last edited by Forever Young; 12-22-2017 at 03:51 PM.
Old 12-22-2017, 03:23 PM
Weingarten's Vintage

Alright.. I think I responded to everything on my naughty list. Props to RMY for a great auction. I was happy with both of my pickups. Thank you and looking forward to getting them soon. I hope you all have a safe and happy holiday break. HO HO HO! Merry Christmas! I love you all.. especially YOU Graigy Kreindler.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg santa.jpg (37.0 KB, 109 views)

Last edited by Forever Young; 12-22-2017 at 03:37 PM.
Old 12-22-2017, 05:16 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Young View Post
1) "Whether something is a type 1 photo is an opinion. It is not a fact."
This blanket statement is WRONG Imo I, in fact, think photos are one of the things in the hobby that can be authenticated the tightest.
2)”If any of you are 100% sure looking at scans that something isna Type 1 photograph, well more power to you. “
THIS IS A SCENAREO ONLINE-diff than above. There is no way to tell 100 percent online I would agree. You can make educated conclusions but with fake stamps, fake aging of paper,,etc.. I would agree. Pictures can also be photo shopped or manipulated. this of course domes not go fir photo authentication in general.. just online.

If you think the photo hobby is so misguided.. why are you collecting the stuff? Why not collect something else that is more defined like.. cards, game used and autographs... yikes

I just don't get the negativity. Since you have singled out Henry.. can you give an example in the last auction where he was wrong or that he abused some magical power for his benefit? As stated, No one bats 100 percent.. but some have much higher averages
I can't point a single thing Henry has done wrong in his life. Never said I could. But I don't think the basic idea of him grading his own cards for sale is a good one. I think many others agree.

I think Type 1 is an opinion. Whatever. Until someone does carbon 12 testing on a photograph it's an opinion in my book. maybe a very learned opinion.

Negative on the hobby? Nope. Just a realist. It's an imperfect endeavor like everything else. I'm not drinking the kool aid that anyone's opinion on authenticity of a photo or a card is scientitifc truth. It's an opinion. If Henry doesn't make the occasional mistake he's the first human being in the history of the world who can say that. I tip my hat to him.

I once sat through a trial where probably the two most credentialed experts in the US took opposite sides on whether a signature was authentic on a rare document. Two guys who have written books too. These are opinions.

Ben, you get insanely defensive anytime anyone says anything even remotely challenging or questioning about type 1 photos. Relax buddy. It's a hobby. We're not rescuing starving children here or curing rare cancers.

Last edited by Snapolit1; 12-22-2017 at 05:17 PM.
Old 12-22-2017, 05:26 PM
Weingarten's Vintage

...#ufta

Insanely defensive? Nope.. just defending truth, justice and the type 1 photo way. Merry Christmas

Last edited by Forever Young; 12-22-2017 at 05:44 PM.
Old 12-22-2017, 05:33 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Enough. Done Expressed my opinion. Happy holidays.
Old 12-22-2017, 05:41 PM

Quote:
To Rhy's credit, he ran in the right way the second time. Like everything, Mistakes happen and it is how one reacts to it and takes care of it that matters at the end of the day. MJ didn’t even hit every game winner!
Agreed.

The last auction was great. Look forward to 2018.
Old 12-22-2017, 07:28 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Somehow, a great thread about sharing pickups and stories turned negative. It is a damn shame.
^
|_____Ben said something I did was GREAT!!!!!

(Now I don't even care if anyone disagrees with my opinion)
Old 12-22-2017, 07:41 PM
Stephen
Stephen Abb.ondandolo

Wish I picked up some Conlons! They were all so nice. I just stayed with the stuff I know and picked up a few nice photos.
Old 12-23-2017, 07:30 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Well, Scott...For boxing cards my opinion is pretty much the opinion (the TPGs use my book or call me) so I have some experience with this exact situation. Every time I sell an item I am expressing my opinion on it and to the small coterie of boxing collectors it carries weight even with self interest, because I am rigorous in my research and honest with my opinion and people know it. That said it is still an opinion and opinions are like buttholes; we all have them. Except, apparently, Kim Jong Un.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 12-23-2017 at 07:34 AM.
Old 12-23-2017, 12:57 PM
Paul Herbener

I just got the Conlon Feller. Never expected it before Christmas!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 39216804702_97d33fb412_k.jpg (70.1 KB, 97 views)
File Type: jpg 27469731019_524085431c_k.jpg (72.8 KB, 95 views)
Old 12-23-2017, 01:01 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Quote:
Amazing shot with the shadows.
Old 12-23-2017, 01:07 PM
Paul Herbener

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapolit1 View Post
Amazing shot with the shadows.
It really is... Great image!
Old 12-23-2017, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Terrific Feller photo, Paul. Congrats!
Old 12-23-2017, 02:03 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
Well, Scott...For boxing cards my opinion is pretty much the opinion (the TPGs use my book or call me) so I have some experience with this exact situation. Every time I sell an item I am expressing my opinion on it and to the small coterie of boxing collectors it carries weight even with self interest, because I am rigorous in my research and honest with my opinion and people know it. That said it is still an opinion and opinions are like buttholes; we all have them. Except, apparently, Kim Jong Un.
I think we are in agreement. And if you chose to issue an Loa for each of your cards you sold, stating that it was authentic, I guess some here would cry "foul". I suppose you would have to secretly include the Loa with the card when you shipped it, but not mention it in the sale. Then the buyer could use it for resell and no one here would complain.
Old 12-23-2017, 02:52 PM
Paul Herbener

Thanks Scott!
Old 12-23-2017, 04:51 PM
Weingarten's Vintage

Quote:
Wow. I do not remember it being THAT spectacular in the auction....what a piece! Nice job.

Last edited by Forever Young; 12-23-2017 at 05:09 PM.
Old 12-23-2017, 05:43 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runscott View Post
I think we are in agreement. And if you chose to issue an Loa for each of your cards you sold, stating that it was authentic, I guess some here would cry "foul". I suppose you would have to secretly include the Loa with the card when you shipped it, but not mention it in the sale. Then the buyer could use it for resell and no one here would complain.
How about a double secret LOA?

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 12-23-2017, 05:54 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
That is something - making me think I should have gone all in on it. Glad it found an appreciative home.
Old 12-23-2017, 06:51 PM
Paul Herbener

Thanks Ben and Scott!!
Old 12-23-2017, 07:26 PM
Jeff 'Prize-ner'

Beautiful Feller.

Santa Benny not so much.
Old 12-23-2017, 07:31 PM
Paul Herbener

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bicem View Post
Beautiful Feller.

Santa Benny not so much.
Santa Benny is going to give me some nightmares!!
Old 12-24-2017, 11:56 AM
Belltown Vintage

Santa Benny is a scarey feller
Old 12-24-2017, 12:31 PM
Jeff 'Prize-ner'

Ben sent it in for grading and it came back a PSA Gross.