NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 07-16-2010, 02:09 PM

Default 1935 Cleveland Indians Full School Ticket

Hello All,

I am new to this fraternity and would like some help. I am curious as to what this ticket really is and what kind of value that it may hold?? I have been a collector for around 15 years now and came across this ticket at a local auction. The ticket was inside of an old scrap book that I had purchased. I had the ticket submitted to PSA and it came back a MINT 9 if that means anything for graded tickets. It seems to be some sort of school ticket but I am not an expert on vintage tickets and would like your opinions. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1935 ticket.jpg (76.9 KB, 134 views)
Old 07-16-2010, 02:30 PM
Jeff

Wish I could help you, maybe Rob D. will have an idea and weigh in. It is interesting that they would grade it a "9" with writing on it. I realize that it was meant to be written on but so were the backs of Butter Creams but they don't get 9s.

Very nice ticket, thanks for showing it.
Old 07-16-2010, 06:38 PM
Banned

Hi Mac,

These types of school tickets from the Indians are found for many years in the 1930s. They're pretty common. To be honest, I'm not too familiar with the current market value, because I stopped tracking them 6-8 years ago after I had a bunch in my collection. At that time, you could pick them up on eBay for $15-$20 each.

That being said, yours stands out to me because of the area on the left side where the name and school could be recorded. I'm not sure that I've seen one with that area on the ticket (then again, I haven't look at mine for a long time). That's not to say the examples I've seen had that part cut off. I don't think that's the case, because I hope I would have noticed that kind of trimming across such a large area. Maybe some years that area was on the ticket and in others it wasn't. I do know that the main design of the ticket from year to year pretty much was unchanged. I'm not sure having that on your ticket adds much of a premium, but it is neat.

Like Jeff, I'm surprised the ticket was graded a 9 because of the writing. I don't pay much attention to grading then it comes to tickets, but that high of a grade with any type of writing on it makes me scratch my head.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by Rob D.; 07-16-2010 at 06:39 PM.
Old 07-17-2010, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob D. View Post
Hi Mac,

These types of school tickets from the Indians are found for many years in the 1930s. They're pretty common. To be honest, I'm not too familiar with the current market value, because I stopped tracking them 6-8 years ago after I had a bunch in my collection. At that time, you could pick them up on eBay for $15-$20 each.

That being said, yours stands out to me because of the area on the left side where the name and school could be recorded. I'm not sure that I've seen one with that area on the ticket (then again, I haven't look at mine for a long time). That's not to say the examples I've seen had that part cut off. I don't think that's the case, because I hope I would have noticed that kind of trimming across such a large area. Maybe some years that area was on the ticket and in others it wasn't. I do know that the main design of the ticket from year to year pretty much was unchanged. I'm not sure having that on your ticket adds much of a premium, but it is neat.

Like Jeff, I'm surprised the ticket was graded a 9 because of the writing. I don't pay much attention to grading then it comes to tickets, but that high of a grade with any type of writing on it makes me scratch my head.

Hope this helps.
Mac,
Since you are new to collecting baseball tickets I would like to add to what Rob previously said. BTW, I have been collecting baseball tickets for over 38 years.

The value of a baseball ticket is very much a function of what happened in the specific game that occured on that date in history. In researching this game it does not appear that anything remarkable occured with regards to a HR hit by a HOF'er or a win by a HOF pitcher. That being said, this tickets' value is based only on it's age and condition. I'm personally not into slabbing tickets, but it does appear to be in great shape considering it's 75 years old. As a collector, the hand written info to the left adds to the uniqueness.

Last edited by Scott Garner; 07-17-2010 at 08:39 AM.
Old 07-17-2010, 02:28 PM
Banned

To follow up on what Scott said regarding a ticket's value largely being tied to a significant event in that game: This is just my opinion, and it might vary from collector to collector, but I don't consider school tickets like these to be on par with "real" tickets that were sold to fans (ones that have section numbers, seat locations, etc.).

Now, if there were a school ticket from a no-hit game or some other significant feat, I'd pay a premium for it compared to a common school ticket. But I would not pay the same price as I would for a regularly issued ticket. And I'd always be on the lookout for an upgrade to a "real" ticket.

Again, this isn't etched in stone, and Scott and other ticket collectors might not have the same opinion.
Old 07-17-2010, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob D. View Post
To follow up on what Scott said regarding a ticket's value largely being tied to a significant event in that game: This is just my opinion, and it might vary from collector to collector, but I don't consider school tickets like these to be on par with "real" tickets that were sold to fans (ones that have section numbers, seat locations, etc.).

Now, if there were a school ticket from a no-hit game or some other significant feat, I'd pay a premium for it compared to a common school ticket. But I would not pay the same price as I would for a regularly issued ticket. And I'd always be on the lookout for an upgrade to a "real" ticket.

Again, this isn't etched in stone, and Scott and other ticket collectors might not have the same opinion.
FWIW, I agree with everything that Rob just said. I would always prefer a "real" ticket as opposed to a ticket variation such as a school ticket for my personal collection.
Old 07-19-2010, 01:14 PM

Thanks for all of your help. It is much appreciated. I would be willing to sell if I felt the offer was right. Thanks again for all of your help and knowledge!