NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 02-11-2009, 11:36 AM
Administrator

Default O/T: Visiting San Fran in May...info needed pls....

Posted By: Chris

Hi..I am heading to San Fran (April 30 - May 4 inclusive) and planning to attend the TriStar Show and was hoping to hear from other collectors re feedback about past shows. Where/When -Cow Palace May 1-3 with a small but impressive line up of MLB'ers/HOF'ers.

Good show in the past? Decent # of vendor tables? Good selection of vintage items avaialble in the past?

Also heading to at least two Giants/Rockies games that weekend, and have never been to San Fran before. Any advice on seating in the stadium, places to eat befoe after the game etc. would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Old 02-11-2009, 02:51 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Mark Steinberg

The show is ok, but not huge. You should find some neat stuff there if you are patient and do a little scavenging.

Regarding the ballpark, there is not a bad seat in the house. It is my absolute favorite of the newer stadiums. It is a rather small place, so sitting high up is not a problem. I prefer sitting between 1st and 3rd base, and high up vs. sitting low down and towards the outfield. Plus, this gives you a great view of the surrounding bay, sailboats, and other beautiful scenery.

The food at the ballpark is the best I have had, but a bit pricey as you'd imagine. They have lots of ethnic varieties (Thai, Teriyaki, Seafood, Italian, etc) in addition to the traditional (Hot Dogs, Italian Sausages, Bratwurst and Burgers). I would save the Burgers and Brats for a game in the "heartland" and go the more eclectic route while in S.F.

Or better yet, have lunch or dinner in the North Beach section of town (a short cab ride away). There are tons of good restaurants and bars along Columbus Ave... mostly Italian, and all of which are great. The Stinking Rose (325 Columbus Ave.) is a classic informal Italian place, and a "must" if you love garlic.

If you want to go the more "touristy" route, there is Chinatown and Fisherman's Wharf... not world-class food, but a lot to see. Then perhaps an "after-game" Irish Coffee at the famous and historic Buena Vista (where the Cable Car route ends).

There is too much else to mention here - but this would be a good start if you are there for only one weekend (and have never been). Hope this helps!

Edited to say that to a native San Franciscan, this will all sound "touristy"... I visit fairly often, but perhaps someone who actually lives there can shed some light on even better local spots.

I will add one thing (since you're there for a baseball trip...) Lefty O'Doul's in Union Square is a kick. They have some amazing and huge photos on the walls... mostly of PCL and Major League Baseball players from the '30s and '40s. They even have an autographed team sheet from the Tour of Japan hanging on the wall, and signed by Ruth, Gehrig, Foxx, etc. (barely protected under plastic, and anyone can touch it!) Union Square has some great shopping... so if you're nearby, be sure to make time for a beer or cocktail at Lefty O'Doul's.

Old 02-11-2009, 03:22 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Chris

I really appreciate the info! chris

Old 02-11-2009, 06:40 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Rob D.

I second the suggestion to visit Lefty O'Douls. When my wife and I vacationed in S.F., our hotel was within walking distance. We ate breakfast there the second day in town and every day after (more for the atmosphere than the food, though the food isn't all that bad.) It's really is a bit of a throwback experience and quite fun.

Old 02-11-2009, 07:19 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Chris Counts

While I prefer Mark McRae's smaller, more focused shows, I've had great luck at Cow Palace shows in recent years. There's certainly enough vintage stuff to keep me there all day. Plus, I've always appreciated the fact that I'm walking on to the same court where Rick Barry performed his basketball magic ... if you've never been to any shows in the San Francisco Bay Area, I should warn you that, like myself, you could end up becoming hopelessly addicted to collecting old PCL items!

Old 02-11-2009, 07:29 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Max Weder

[linked image]