NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 05-18-2014, 09:53 PM
Ty

Default need help with this weird Ruth ball

Looking for information on some of these players, a handful played for a yankees farm team in various years, the Newark bears, and some I can't find any info on, if any of you Ruth experts can share a connection from a known event in ruths life to help me with info, I would appreciate...ball will be for sale once I know what this is...
Jack Glynn(1937 Newark bears)
Russ ?PanAtta, Peralta?
Al Mamaux(Coached the Newark Bears in 1932)
Paul Schreiber(batting coach in 1945 for yanks)
Joe Glenn(1932, 34 Newark bears player)
johnny Murphy(played for '32 Bears)

Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ruth100.jpg (71.6 KB, 314 views)
File Type: jpg ruth101.jpg (72.6 KB, 312 views)
File Type: jpg ruth102.jpg (70.5 KB, 314 views)
File Type: jpg ruth 104.jpg (71.3 KB, 312 views)
File Type: jpg ruth105.jpg (71.7 KB, 314 views)
Old 05-18-2014, 10:32 PM
L@nce Fit.tro

That unknown Russ is Russ Van Atta, FWIW
Old 05-18-2014, 11:35 PM
Jeff P0tter

I believe the ball type places it between 1940-44. Van Atta was a Sheriff in Sussex County from 1941 to 1944. Ruth spent a lot of time in that area hunting/fishing, etc. A lot of the other guys have Newark connections. Maybe some kind of city event?
Old 05-19-2014, 03:01 AM
G@ry Cier@dkowski

Jack Glynn (a guy I've been researching for years) was, like Van Atta from Sussex County, N.J. Ruth was very close pals with Van Atta and since their days on the 33-34 Yankees would go to Sussex County to hunt, play golf and make the rounds of the taverns and road houses. When I was a kid in the '70 my grandparents would take me for car rides to "the country" on Sundays and it seemed like every little store and diner in Sussex County had a signed picture of The Babe.
Old 05-19-2014, 05:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygary View Post
Jack Glynn (a guy I've been researching for years) was, like Van Atta from Sussex County, N.J. Ruth was very close pals with Van Atta and since their days on the 33-34 Yankees would go to Sussex County to hunt, play golf and make the rounds of the taverns and road houses. When I was a kid in the '70 my grandparents would take me for car rides to "the country" on Sundays and it seemed like every little store and diner in Sussex County had a signed picture of The Babe.
Lance, Jeff and Gary are absolutely correct about Van Atta.

Johnny Vander Meer was one additional member of this group that liked to hunt and fish together from the time period of late 1938 until Ruth's untimely death in the mid-1940's. Vander Meer and Ruth first met prior to his 2nd no-hitter game and became friends following their first meeting
Old 05-19-2014, 06:33 AM
T0m C@rf@gn0

FWIW there may be no connection at all to Ruth per se. I am not sure if it is the lighting, but it seems to me that the Babe used a different pen than did the rest of the signors. While this does not necessarily mean that it was signed at a different time, it definitely increases the possibility. The possibility exists that this was originally a Ruth single that someone had others add to later.

Not saying this is 100% the case, but it is a possibility anyway.

Tom C
Old 05-19-2014, 07:50 AM
L@nce Fit.tro

The ball was manufactured between 1940 and 1942.

I would post the ball in the autograph sub-forum, and I'm sure you will get lots of opinions on the signatures themselves.
Old 05-19-2014, 08:42 AM
Ty

Wow, great answers everyone! I was not expecting that much information! Anyone care to help price it out so i can sell? Preferablyfrom someone not interesting in buying it?
Old 05-19-2014, 09:33 AM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

I'm thinking $5.5 - $6.5K. Tough to find such clean sigs on such a nice white Harridge Ball. Wonderful piece!

Last edited by perezfan; 05-19-2014 at 09:33 AM.
Old 05-19-2014, 09:52 AM
Ty

Thanks Perez fan. Had $6k in mind but was hoping to stretch up to 7. Glad I was somewhat on target! Much appreciated and any other feedback for higher or lower pricing is still appreciated!
Old 05-19-2014, 10:07 AM
Weingarten's Vintage

Wrong forum.. you would get a better response if in auto side as expressed earlier.

Www.weingartensvintage.com

https://www.facebook.com/WeingartensVintage

http://www.psacard.com/Articles/Arti...ben-weingarten

ALWAYS BUYING BABE RUTH RED SOX TYPE 1 PHOTOGRAPHS--->To add to my collection

Last edited by Forever Young; 05-19-2014 at 12:41 PM.
Old 05-20-2014, 11:45 PM
G@ry Cier@dkowski

That's areally neat ball for me, I'm from NJ and have been reasearching Van Atta and Glynn for years. Van Atta was a few years older than Glynn and recommended him to the Yankee organization. Glynn played for a bunch of great top-notch AAA teams but with guys like DiMaggio in the Yanks outfield he never got a chance. Still, he played with the '37 Newark Bear and the '36 Oakland Oaks, 2 teams with bunch of future major leaguers on them. He later went on to be an officer in the Army Air Force during WWII and set up baseball teams all over Europe, calling on his many baseball pals to entertain the troops.