NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 05-29-2014, 08:53 AM
Belltown Vintage

Default Open 'a' Ruth autographs

All the examples below are from Legendary lots 1027-1033, described as a "Special Collection of Babe Ruth autographed items."

There has been a lot of discussion here about the open 'a' indicating possible problems with his autograph. Out of the 5 items signed "Babe", two show the open 'a' and a third has a non-open-a autograph signed on a photo that has a facsimile autograph with an open 'a'. Is the open 'a' thing a myth? The first one below shows the real autograph signed on the print containing the facsimile open 'a'. If the print with the facsimile is legit, then doesn't that put the open 'a' thing to rest?

There is no nefarious intent behind this post - I just thought it was interesting. My Ruth has an open 'a', so obviously I'd hope it's not an issue.

Last edited by Runscott; 11-30-2014 at 12:15 PM.
Old 05-29-2014, 05:58 PM
Belltown Vintage

I know there are a lot of collectors here who have an interest in such things, and who have definite thoughts on this subject.

So I'll just assume I'm so despised in this sub-forum that no one is going to comment, which is okay. I'm not too crazy about most of you either. Still, I love vintage autographs and this is pretty much the only place to discuss them, so I will continue to amuse myself.

Last edited by Runscott; 05-29-2014 at 05:58 PM.
Old 05-29-2014, 06:04 PM
Jeff P0tter

Sorry I don't have anything really constructive to add regarding the open "a", I never really looked at the a as one of the things I would zero in on when I was buying if. If there is one thing I have learned about Ruth and his handwriting the last couple years, it is that overall he was quite inconsistent all the way across the board (where he breaked in letter connections, loopier than others on occasion, etc)
Old 05-29-2014, 06:09 PM

I don't despise you, Scott. In fact, I kinda like you.

Genuine "open-a" Ruths do exist. Here's one from my collection:

Last edited by David Atkatz; 05-29-2014 at 06:09 PM.
Old 05-29-2014, 06:17 PM
Belltown Vintage

Thanks, David and Jeff. My comment about being despised was sort of a joke, not that I really give a shit. Normally I would discuss things like this with a few people offline, but thought I'd troll a little
Old 05-29-2014, 06:28 PM
K&v!/\/ R@g$d@/3

I do not believe the open vs closed "a" is really an issue unless it is so open that it looks almost like a "u". I feel that there are other characteristics in Ruth's signature to be more concerned about when looking for real vs forged Ruth signatures.
I just read your post and truthfully found it an interesting topic, because I have never looked at the "a" in Babe as an identifier/ indicator of real vs forged.
Old 05-29-2014, 07:02 PM
Shelly Jaf.fe

Scott, it is one of things you look at. Nothing is a given. If you see than you look a little bit harder.
Old 05-30-2014, 07:24 AM
T0m C@rf@gn0

I'm still recovering from you beating me out on the Glory Of Their Times Lot a month ago. Although I think "despise" is a bit strong.

I don't "despise" you.

At least not anymore.

Maybe...

Tom C
Old 05-30-2014, 08:41 AM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelly View Post
Scott, it is one of things you look at. Nothing is a given. If you see than you look a little bit harder.
Shelly, you know how long it took for me to pull the trigger on a Ruth, and the one I chose exhibited two of the dreaded forgery tells. Thanks to three forum members for helping me out with that.

Tom, I'm pricing some of the GOT items for Saturday's show, as we speak. I'm rarely looking to make a killing, so shoot me an email if there are any you have an interest in. The Crawford and Meyers items and the Covaleskie check are the only ones off the board for the moment.
Old 05-30-2014, 05:24 PM
Jeff

Scott,
If there are folks that despise you, you must be doing something right.

HOF Type Collector + Philly A's, E/M/W cards, M101-6, Exhibits, Postcards, 30's Premiums & HOF Photos

"Assembling an unfocused collection for nearly 50 years."
Old 05-31-2014, 10:33 PM
Belltown Vintage

Jeff, the Shoreline show today was a blast. I was amazed at how many forum members were there - lots of good conversation. Oddly, no one seemed to despise anyone else

I'm thinking it's mainly an internet thing.
Old 06-01-2014, 10:07 AM
Alex

Thanks for sharing the pictures. When I started collecting autographs (I used to collect football) an older collector gave me the advice at looking at the autographs upside down. Inconsistencies were easier to see that way. FWIW
SLers = 33/48
Horizontals = 6/6

ALWAYS looking for T206 with back damage.