NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 07-06-2019, 12:17 AM
Kenny Cole

Default Off topic: Earthquake

I hope no one here is substantially affected by these earthquakes. My entire family lives in SoCal, and my wife was born in Ridgecrest, so I also feel for her family who is still there. Not good.
Old 07-06-2019, 01:36 AM
5t3v3...D4.w50n

My sister lives just north of LA, and I have a lot of cousins who live all over Southern California and Las Vegas.

The quake hit during the bottom of the 4th inning of the Padres-Dodgers game at Dodger Stadium. Evidently, the players on the field didn't even feel it, but some in the dugout, and Kenley Janssen in the clubhouse did feel it. Many fans in the upper deck of the stadium definitely felt it and left their seats. The game though, continued uninterrupted.

I was watching the game on MLB.TV, and except for the centerfield camera bobbing and weaving for a good 30 seconds or so, and the announcers saying it was happening, you wouldn't have even known there was an earthquake.

Steve

Current Wantlist:
1909 Obak Howard (Los Angeles) (no frame on back)
1910 E90-2 Gibson, Hyatt, Maddox

Last edited by Steve D; 07-06-2019 at 01:39 AM.
Old 07-06-2019, 03:58 AM
Barry Sloate

Apparently there was a 7.1 last night.
Old 07-06-2019, 04:23 AM
Scott Russell

I blame PWCC. Mainly because the percentage of threads about them on the front page needed augmentation...
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 07-06-2019, 07:32 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

We felt it but could tell it was a long ways away. You get a feel for how far away they are after decades of them. A distant one is sort of a soft rolling like a boat on the water. At close range and especially if the wave is going in your direction a 7.1 is scary. It can tear buildings apart. The apartment where I was living during the 6.7 1994 Northridge quake was close to the epicenter and sustained severe damage. Sounded like a train crash: steel, wood and glass being torn apart shrieks. I also went through the 6.9 1989 Loma Prieta quake in San Francisco, in the worst possible place, an elevator. I was on the way down to the store to get chips for a World Series viewing party. We fell four floors before the brakes kicked in.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 07-06-2019 at 07:44 AM.
Old 07-06-2019, 07:57 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
We felt it but could tell it was a long ways away. You get a feel for how far away they are after decades of them. A distant one is sort of a soft rolling like a boat on the water. At close range and especially if the wave is going in your direction a 7.1 is scary. It can tear buildings apart. The apartment where I was living during the 6.7 1994 Northridge quake was close to the epicenter and sustained severe damage. Sounded like a train crash: steel, wood and glass being torn apart shrieks. I also went through the 6.9 1989 Loma Prieta quake in San Francisco, in the worst possible place, an elevator. I was on the way down to the store to get chips for a World Series viewing party. We fell four floors before the brakes kicked in.
I would have had to change my underwear >
Old 07-06-2019, 03:36 PM
Shay B

I was eating dinner in Oceanside last night and felt it. Lasted about six or seven seconds. Didn't shake anything structural though.
Old 07-06-2019, 03:41 PM
je.sse @rnot

I'm in OC, and although we were not in any danger the building I was in was shaking, as was anything hanging on the walls. I felt like I was on a boat with small waves in the water. It lasted for close to a minute, although it felt longer. I even got slightly motion sick for a couple of minutes.
Old 07-06-2019, 03:41 PM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

This is scary stuff. Imagine if that 7.1 hit in a major population center and not in a relatively isolated area. My thoughts and prayers go out to those affected.
Old 07-06-2019, 03:42 PM
Anson

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldjudge View Post
This is scary stuff. Imagine if that 7.1 hit in a major population center and not in a relatively isolated area. My thoughts and prayers go out to those affected.
It did, back in 1989. Bay Bridge World Series (Loma Prieta) earthquake.
Old 07-06-2019, 05:28 PM
K@t Alex@nder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
I would have had to change my underwear >
This coming from the man who said I'm too thin skinned for this forum. Interesting.
Old 07-06-2019, 06:24 PM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

Quote:
Originally Posted by kateighty View Post
This coming from the man who said I'm too thin skinned for this forum. Interesting.
LOL, I think you just proved Leon's point
Old 07-06-2019, 08:00 PM
Ken McMillan

Moved from Socal 1 1/2 years ago and still have quite a few friends still there. I lived in Beaumont California which is 117 miles from the epicenter of the 7.1 quake. Quakes are common in Cali so the only surprise is that there wasn’t more damage. Thankfully!
Old 07-06-2019, 08:12 PM
K@t Alex@nder

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldjudge View Post
LOL, I think you just proved Leon's point
Regardless of whatever point he's trying to make it's not going to bring me down. That's for sure.
Old 07-06-2019, 10:15 PM

I live in North Las Vegas and we felt the earthquake. I'm originally from Southern California. I remember the 1971 earthquake. Sierra Madre in early 90s.