NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Closed Thread

Old 10-26-2012, 06:29 PM
KEVIN MIZE
Banned

Default please, delete...thanks

For all in the hobby, this guy constantly talks about trimmed cards and how the hobby is screwed. He goes on and on about it, and then some. This is what's so ironic. I sent him an email about this card on Ebay (his card) that is incredibly trimmed (in my opinion) and he turned into a monster. Then, he sends me an email and tells me to f*** myself. This card is obviously narrow, and I just wanted his opinion on it.

Last edited by CMIZ5290; 10-29-2012 at 08:20 PM.
Old 10-26-2012, 07:05 PM
Jake

I emailed him once for a offer on a card. Granted it was a low ball offer, but I figured we could negotiate. He got all offended and said I was a "chump" and on "acid". He has some good stuff, but the prices on most are absurd.

Last edited by Jlighter; 10-26-2012 at 07:08 PM.
Old 10-26-2012, 07:18 PM
Jeffrey Lichtman

"Granted it was a lowball offer...."

Probably not the best way to make any seller's acquaintance.

PS Dan stinks.
Old 10-26-2012, 07:44 PM
Jake

Be that as it may, I wasn't expecting to be accused of using a psychedelic.
Old 10-26-2012, 07:56 PM
KEVIN MIZE
Banned

Very rough language.......No response to simple questions......Makes you feel like an outcast, other than that, a great Ebay seller to do business with!

Last edited by CMIZ5290; 10-26-2012 at 08:03 PM.
Old 10-26-2012, 08:09 PM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlighter View Post
be that as it may, i wasn't expecting to be accused of using a psychedelic.
lol
Old 10-26-2012, 08:11 PM
Pete
Pet.er ian.nic.elli

Kevin - At first glance i thought that maybe the fitting in the case wasn't good. On second glance - Top down looks good, but the borders are indeed narrow.

W600 Cobb and Wagner
Sporting News/Collins McCarthy Jackson
Seamless Cobb rookie
Low Grade Ruth rookie

Cards:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/189414509@N08/albums
Old 10-26-2012, 08:18 PM
Steve Birmingham

I can't say about the seller, I don't think I've bought from him.

But there are narrow t206s that aren't trimmed.
Sgc Graded this one of mine, while rejecting as miscut one that was about as short as this one is narrow. Neither showed any sign of trimming. And the only reason I can see for this being a 40 is the small white spot where ink wore off a paper inclusion. (About halfway up on the left side)

Steve B
Old 10-26-2012, 08:22 PM
Adam Goldenberg

Default Seller

I've bought from this seller at the National and via ebay. No troubles here. Not sure what to say about the other experiences but I'll keep buying from him.
Old 10-26-2012, 08:34 PM
Kenny Cole

I've bought a fair amount of stuff from Dan and have never had a problem. The only time we ever got even remotely sideways was when he took something I said differently from how I meant it, probably because I didn't say it very well. That was quickly ironed out. IMO, he's as straight up as they come.

I would never have any hesitation either buying from Dan or asking him a question. I don't think I would ever get less than a completely honest answer. Just my personal experience for what its worth. Best to all,

Kenny Cole
Old 10-26-2012, 08:48 PM
KEVIN MIZE
Banned

Dan needs to be more politically correct imo. To tell someone to f***off and call them a pussy is ridiculous. Funny how he hasn't chimmed in yet.....
Old 10-26-2012, 08:51 PM
Kenny Cole

There are certain people I would say that to on a daily basis if I had the opportunity.

Kenny Cole
Old 10-26-2012, 08:55 PM
Matt Hall

In Dan's defense, there has been a group of guys dropping acid and lowballing dealers on eBay lately.
Old 10-26-2012, 08:59 PM
KEVIN MIZE
Banned

Kenny- defending a guy who is always bitching about trimmed cards??? The card he has on ebay is thinner than don knotts. And talking to people like they are red-headed step kids? Glad you have a tolerance for such......
Old 10-26-2012, 09:09 PM
Kenny Cole

Well, lets just say my experience with Dan is different than yours. And then, I'll add that I suspect Dan's done more in terms of working to make the hobby clean and safe, for years, than you have. Then add that I imagine he has graded about 1000X more cards in his life than you have, and I don't really have too many problems "defending" him, although he really doesn't need anyone to defend him. But, that's just my opinion. You are obviously entitled to feel differently. Have a nice evening.

Kenny
Old 10-26-2012, 09:11 PM
KEVIN MIZE
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenny cole View Post
well, lets just say my experience with dan is different than yours. And then, i'll add that i suspect dan's done more in terms of working to make the hobby clean and safe, for years, than you have. Then add that i imagine he has graded about 1000x more cards in his life than you have, and i don't really have too many problems "defending" him, although he really doesn't need anyone to defend him. But, that's just my opinion. You are obviously entitled to feel differently. Have a nice evening.

Kenny
have you even looked at the card on ebay? Are you kidding me?
Old 10-26-2012, 09:20 PM
Kenny Cole

Guess it slipped by SGC too. Two shitty graders missed it, but you didn't. Grats for catching it. Keep up the good work.
Old 10-26-2012, 09:22 PM
KEVIN MIZE
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenny cole View Post
guess it slipped by sgc too. Two shitty graders missed it, but you didn't. Grats for catching it. Keep up the good work.
are you on dan's payroll?
Old 10-26-2012, 09:25 PM
Kenny Cole

Nope, just responding to criticism that I disagree with. That's OK with you isn't it?
Old 10-26-2012, 09:26 PM

Well this escalated quickly. It's a really nice looking card, but does seem to be short. I'm no pro, but who knows, maybe it was cut short?
Schlei (Catching) Back run: 10/12 (minus blank back)

Actively collecting t206 Hall of Famers, Southern Leaguers, and Various backs in good to excellent condition. Love talking cards too.
Old 10-26-2012, 09:57 PM
Clayton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew H View Post
In Dan's defense, there has been a group of guys dropping acid and lowballing dealers on eBay lately.
That was funny

Sincerely, Clayton
Old 10-27-2012, 12:39 AM
John
J0hn McD@niel

Default Not quite all the facts but neat thread...and nice try.

“Dan needs to be more politically correct imo. To tell someone to f***off and call them a pussy is ridiculous. Funny how he hasn't chimmed in yet.....”

Kevin Dan did chime in. He told you that you were a waste of his time and a nobody to him. Then he told you to pound sand. You were the one who felt the need to take it off email leave out some facts and post it here. Kevin I guess what you're trying to say is that Dan needs to be more politically correct than you and your comments to him in your email and I quote "And by the way, Stevie Wonder could see that the card is trimmed. My God man, look at the gap between the holder guards and the edge of the card."

Simple you got snarky and then got spanked. Then you come here to cry because he was a little hard on the Beaver and throw Dan under the bus. Gee what a surprise you fail to mention your snarky comments to Dan when you fired up this thread.

Kevin as an FYI not everyone will take the politically correct position of…

“Dear Mr. Customer I respect your input regarding the card but it looks ok to me and SGC, but thanks for your input and concern kind sir.”

Some people upon hearing Stevie Wonder comments about their cards go straight to F**k Off.

In terms of the card in question I too have some narrow T206’s that are fine. Also not every SGC holder is exact in terms of inserts I have some that have space and some that are super snug. Dan is a gruff no nonsense SOB, and that’s what I like about him. Not to mention he has a collection/knowledge that makes me feel like a started collecting from the 7-11 down the street last week.

In terms of his prices no crazier than any other BIN on eBay or web museum. He like anybody else slaps them high because he knows he’s going to get low balled case in point right here above.

"Granted it was a lowball offer...."

Translation I offered a price I knew the seller would find insulting and was shocked that he wasn’t more gracious to me for trying to take advantage of him. You just can’t win with some folks huh?

Cheers,

John

Last edited by wonkaticket; 10-27-2012 at 12:47 AM.
Old 10-27-2012, 02:53 AM
Glyn Parson

Default the only thing i find laughable

about this thread is the one comment that makes it sound like there are no trimmed cards in holders that made me laugh, hell i'm still laughing about that one.
Old 10-27-2012, 03:56 AM
Rob

back in the 90's Mckee told me I was selling a baseball bats Lajoie instead of an Orange Borders on ebay. I thought he's on mt rushmore of card collectors with Olbermann, Charlie Sheen, and that guy from legends of Curley's Gold.
Old 10-27-2012, 05:08 AM
pete ullman

This is funny! I like Dan...he's a good guy...some others on this board...not so much!

Edited to follow the continuity of the initial post and follow up posts to add" Wah.Wah...mommy...someone was mean to me!!!

Last edited by ullmandds; 10-27-2012 at 07:16 AM.
Old 10-27-2012, 06:56 AM
T0NY @

Quote:
Originally Posted by ullmandds View Post
This is funny! I like Dan...he's a good guy...some others on this board...not so much!

I'll second that Pete. John great post.
Old 10-27-2012, 07:44 AM
Adam Goldenberg

Default Dan

If I were Dan I would doing the same thing. Kicking back drinking some coffee and enjoying my life. If you think theres an issue with a card, don't bid, lowball or not. SGC graded it not Dan. If I had the card it would be for sale on my ebay page as well. Now of course if Dan is running for office then yea, maybe he needs to follow political rules of engagement but he not and this is cardboard.
Old 10-27-2012, 08:18 AM
Jake

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonkaticket View Post
trying to take advantage of him.
Mr. John I think your confused on who is trying to take advantage of who. He has an ungraded T206 Griffth Brown Hindu listed for 1800.
Old 10-27-2012, 08:22 AM
Pete
Pet.er ian.nic.elli

The holder doesn't help the look of the card it makes it look smaller than it actually is. Kind of like an optical illusion. And if the biggest complaint we have in life is arguing over a card we don't have then I'd say we're all doing pretty good with our lives.

I have bought from Darby's and have had no complaints. I don't really care if he called me a b1tch or an a$$ or a drug dealing mule.. as long as he gives me my damn cards I'll be happy.

W600 Cobb and Wagner
Sporting News/Collins McCarthy Jackson
Seamless Cobb rookie
Low Grade Ruth rookie

Cards:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/189414509@N08/albums
Old 10-27-2012, 08:29 AM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMIZ5290 View Post
have you even looked at the card on ebay? Are you kidding me?
Have you even looked at the card I posted?
Between my own careful look at it and SGC I'm 100% certain that it's not trimmed. And it is narrow, about as wide as a typical American Beauty.

To call the card listed on Ebay trimmed with only a passable scan to go by is ridiculous.

Steve B
Old 10-27-2012, 08:44 AM
Jeffrey Lichtman

I do enjoy when I receive an eBay message about a graded card I'm selling: "That card looks a little short." With all respect, hey asshole -- don't bid on it. What am I supposed to do? Demand that PSA regrade the card because some anonymous ebayer thinks it's short?
Old 10-27-2012, 08:45 AM
Jeffrey Lichtman

PS: I still hate Dan.
Old 10-27-2012, 08:53 AM
Joshua
J0shua Le.vine

Dan is good...card is fine...

Think of it this way...you are in the market and deciding on a steak. You see one that looks a little "grayer" than the rest. You walk up to the butcher and say "This steak is bad!" The butcher says that cut of meat often turns color quickly and he just put it out that morning. What do you do? Do you then call the butcher blind, Stevie Wonder, liar, hypocrite? To his face? I doubt it. You would put the steak back and pick another one. If you did not...I would presume the butcher (and others) would certainly ask you to leave (at best) or they would throw you out (at worst).

People find courage behind the monitor and keyboard they probably would not have in reality.

Joshua
Old 10-27-2012, 08:58 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvindog View Post
PS: I still hate Dan.
Yeah, me too. That is why he and I are trying to figure out the next show we will do together .
Old 10-27-2012, 09:00 AM
Fr@nk Burke++

What this thread needs is a good Stevie Wonder joke and I've got one.

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 10-27-2012, 09:18 AM
Brent Niederman
Bre.nt Nieder.m@n

I personally don't know Dan or have ever talked with him, but I always appreciated and respected his insight on this forum, very knowledgable.

I don't know anything about T206's to make an assumption in regards to being trimmed or not.
Old 10-27-2012, 09:20 AM

Great Thread! I agree with Jeff:

Dan stinks and I hate him!

Just for the record yes, most of my ebay store items are very high. Actually you may see them with lower price tags at my table at shows. With ebay and paypal fees and I get beaten to death on prices no matter where I set them, this seems to work out ok in the long run.

If you look at what sells, you will see I negotiate and sell a decent volume.

And no, I don't have a large tolerance for non-collectors that low-ball me and get smart a$$ with me but that has always been me.

I am harsh sometimes and rough around the edges but that was helpful during 20 years and 2months of Military service.

Cheers
Dan Mckee
Old 10-27-2012, 09:30 AM
Ke.n K0hen

Everybody - stand up if you hate dan!
Old 10-27-2012, 09:33 AM

The card in question came from a late 1990s Fells Point Baltimore find that I paid out $25K for. It was loaded with South League players and most were gemmy like this one. It may be narrow but is absolutely factory cut as it was in the hands of the family that removed it from the pack, then to an Antique Dealer for a short period of time and then to me. The entire find graded high and I believe with fair grades back then. There were 600+ cards and I didn't have an issue with a single grade.

I am not sure you can determine that a crad is trimmed by the spacing between the SGC insert and the card. I think, not sure, but I think SGC hand cuts or at least did back then, their inserts.

Thanks to everyone who supported me here, I truly appreciate it.

Dan Mckee
Old 10-27-2012, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcohen View Post
Everybody - stand up if you hate dan!
I just banged my head on the light fixture, thanks Ken
Old 10-27-2012, 09:42 AM
Belltown Vintage

I like Dan, but I LOVE lamp.
Old 10-27-2012, 10:22 AM
Steve Woe.lfel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runscott View Post
I like Dan, but I LOVE lamp.
Brick, do you really love the lamp, or are you just saying that because you saw it?
Old 10-27-2012, 10:29 AM
Gr3g N@z@r3th

Dan is a stand up guy! If you don't like what he's selling, don't look or don't buy.

Kevin, you and I have done business before, and it went well, so I have no beef with you. Just that if your going to question someone else's card, you need to have all the facts, just not state an opinion (and yes, I have seen the card in question).
Old 10-27-2012, 02:51 PM
John
J0hn McD@niel

Default Not confused at all....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jlighter View Post
Mr. John I think your confused on who is trying to take advantage of who. He has an ungraded T206 Griffth Brown Hindu listed for 1800.
Translation:

He has a card I want but it’s listed too rich for my blood. I can’t negotiate it down because what I’m willing to pay is still far from market value to most and will be taken as a low ball offer. So since I’m bitter at the fact that I can’t score this card on the cheap. The guy selling it is a taking advantage of others…because in my world I set all prices for cards within our hobby.

Too expensive don’t buy it.

I know Dan is high I have a SGC 50 common T206 I bought from him a few years ago…about 12 more payments and it will be mine.

This board is a mess Jeff only cares about murders and criminals, Dan is ripping folks off and is a vulgar drunk, Leon was Pablo Escobar, I’m mean to the elderly for no reason and Sloate hates T206’s and the hobby. Why does anyone come here anymore?

Last edited by wonkaticket; 10-27-2012 at 02:57 PM.
Old 10-27-2012, 03:06 PM
Jake

Quote:
Translation:

He has a card I want but it’s listed too rich for my blood. I can’t negotiate it down because what I’m willing to pay is still far from market value to most and will be taken as a low ball offer. So since I’m bitter at the fact that I can’t score this card on the cheap. The guy selling it is a taking advantage of others…because in my world I set all prices for cards within our hobby.

Too expensive don’t buy it.

I know Dan is high I have a SGC 50 common T206 I bought from him a few years ago…about 12 more payments and it will be mine.

This wasn't even the card I wanted, I was just using this as an example. But I can't imagine fair market value for a Hindu backed Griffith(that would grade at a 1 maybe 2) is close to 1800.

I could be wrong, but I doubt it.
Old 10-27-2012, 03:23 PM
Howard Che.r.n.i.ck

Just want to throw my 2 cents in about Dan.

I only met him once but have corresponded with him via eMail several times. The guy is very knowledgeable and has given me great advice.
He has taken time out to explain things to me which I might have misunderstood when listing certain cards.

He can charge whatever he thinks is right for a card. If the buyer thinks that's what the card is worth and is willing to pay for it, then great. If not, then it's up to the buyer to make the adjustment. If the price is too high for a buyer, then he has the option to stop by my site.

Buythatcard

http://stores.ebay.com/Buythatcard
Old 10-27-2012, 03:28 PM
Gr3g N@z@r3th

Quote:

I have a SGC 50 common T206 I bought from him a few years ago…about 12 more payments and it will be mine.
Now THAT'S funny, John!!
Old 10-28-2012, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jlighter View Post
This wasn't even the card I wanted, I was just using this as an example. But I can't imagine fair market value for a Hindu backed Griffith(that would grade at a 1 maybe 2) is close to 1800.

I could be wrong, but I doubt it.
I bought this card off of Craig's List!!! No lie! I almost fell over when the dude met me, he had 6 tobacco cards, the other 5 were common beaters.

I honestly don't know what a Griffith Hindu is worth but my dear friend Jim rivera instructed me to list this very high as Hindus were exploding at the time.

I have room on this one and would accept offers.

I sold the Lenox McGraw I had listed at $7500 for $4K.

It all depends, I have more room on some things than others. I don't think I am very different from a lot of sellers.

Dan Mckee

P.S. John Wonka, you are late on your October payment. Maybe I will lose the card you bought since your payment is so late Inside Joke.
Old 10-28-2012, 05:03 PM

Almost forgot!

Howie - buythatcard is a CLASS ACT seller and I highly recommend buying and dealing with him!

So yes! Please do visit his site after I call you a chump and tell you that you are on Acid or to pass the dubiage!
Old 10-28-2012, 06:08 PM
Gr3g N@z@r3th

Quote:
Originally Posted by danmckee View Post
pass the dubiage!
Thanks Dan, I always wanted to know how to spell "dubiage"
Closed Thread