NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 10-15-2013, 10:32 AM

Default SGC reslabbing advice

I have about a half dozen nice vintage cards (1950s and 1960s) I have bought over the past few years in BGS holders. I'm thinking about going exclusively SGC with the best cards in my collection. Should I send them to SGC to reslab or just sell and rebuy them again? Have you ever sent in PSA or BVG cards to SGC? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!
Old 10-15-2013, 05:07 PM
Br.ent !ngr@m
Br.ent Ing@am

This is my experience.

Bvg 4.5 1956 mantle freed sent to psa, didn't meet size requirements, sent to SGC, it's now a 3.5

Bvg 3 1951 mantle, sent to SGC in bvg slab, it's now a 2

Bvg 3 1949 Campanella, freed sent to SGC, it's now a 3.

Bvg 8 1980 Henderson, freed sent to sgc, it's now a 7.

BGS 8.5 fleer Gwynn, freed, it's now a sgc 9.

Have a 1961 Fleer Ted Williams bvg 6, I wouldn't think of sending to sgc.

My opinion is Beckett is gracious in the post war to 1980 era.

SGC will grade accordingly.
Old 10-16-2013, 06:05 AM

Default Sgc

Thanks for the examples - very interesting!
Old 10-16-2013, 08:48 AM
Chr!$ M!ll!c@n

Have you thought about cracking them out, then submitting that way.
And let the grader determine it himself, than be giving them a clue what the competiton gave it.
Old 10-17-2013, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawpawdiv9 View Post
Have you thought about cracking them out, then submitting that way.
And let the grader determine it himself, than be giving them a clue what the competiton gave it.
That's what I'd do. I have a flawless 61 Koufax. A grade of PSA 9 was assumed when I sent it in a few years back. It came back a 7, which astounded me (psa didn't do half grades at the time). I am absolutely certain the so-so grade was the result of the standard "red feather" print mark to the left of Sandy's face. The grader didn't know that EVERY 61 Koufax has that mark. My mistake was to resubmit it to SGC in the 7 holder. The grader gave it a 7.5. While the practice is somewhat subjective, I am an expert on grading cards. This Koufax is going to be cracked open, and be submitted with a note about the "red feather"... I'm not going to assume the grader knows about it. It will absolutely come back no worse that 8.5; probably 9.
Old 10-24-2013, 03:27 AM
Bill Gregory

Cracking Beckett slabs makes me nervous. Those things could survive a nuclear bomb. If it were a SGC or a PSA slab, I could see popping it and submitting it au natural. But you better have some goggles and a jackhammer if you're going to try popping a Beckett.

If you're crossing over for aesthetics, a drop of a half grade shouldn't matter. If there's a chance you're looking to sell, I'd leave it as is. By the time you factor in the cost to cross it over, ship it and insure it, you're eating into your profit margin unless you are absolutely certain it will cross over successfully. But SGC is going to be harder than Beckett when it comes ti vintage.

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.