NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 10-22-2015, 10:24 AM
Mi.ke Que.vill.on

Default 1952 Topps Mickey Mantle PSA 8 Offered by PWCC Auctions #9 / Change in auction biz ?

I am curious to see what collectors think of a card of this magnitude being offered on eBay as opposed to a traditional auction house.

I am wondering if this marks a change in the auctioning of high end cards going forward?

The consignor could easily have consigned to any number of traditional HA's and had his card sold for 0% consignor fee and even 5% back to him from some houses.

In this scenario with PWCC, he will have 10% deducted from his final sale price but is probably banking on the fact that bidders will not have the traditional 20% buyer premium to factor in to the final sale price so the seller will actually net 10% extra selling his card this way.

Also, the consignor does not have to wait very long to get paid. It seems to me like auction houses will always have their place for memorabilia etc. but if it just a matter of nice front and back scans and presenting to a large audience, it looks like PWCC has this covered.
Old 10-22-2015, 10:30 AM
pete ullman

seeing as pwcc consistently commands otherworldly prices for some of their auctions...i'd feel reasonable comfortably consigning a common, high demand card such as this. I'm sure there will be a reserve.
Old 10-22-2015, 10:37 AM
Ruben

I am also almost certain that PWCC has arranged for possibly an even lower % then 10%.
Old 10-22-2015, 10:38 AM
_G@ґy*€hℯη_

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qcards View Post
I am curious to see what collectors think of a card of this magnitude being offered on eBay as opposed to a traditional auction house.

I am wondering if this marks a change in the auctioning of high end cards going forward?

The consignor could easily have consigned to any number of traditional HA's and had his card sold for 0% consignor fee and even 5% back to him from some houses.

In this scenario with PWCC, he will have 10% deducted from his final sale price but is probably banking on the fact that bidders will not have the traditional 20% buyer premium to factor in to the final sale price so the seller will actually net 10% extra selling his card this way.

Also, the consignor does not have to wait very long to get paid. It seems to me like auction houses will always have their place for memorabilia etc. but if it just a matter of nice front and back scans and presenting to a large audience, it looks like PWCC has this covered.
Well, technically, PWCC's fee on any cards that sell over $5000 is 8%, not 10%. So this would be like getting 12% back from auction houses. And I assume PWCC probably gave the consignor a sweeter deal than the 8% as the final value fee from ebay for this sale will be a maximum of $250 no matter how high the card sells for.

Saying that, I don't know how many bidders who can bid the card up to $300-400K like using ebay to buy these type of cards. I know there are other examples such as when Action Comics #1 was sold on ebay, I believe. Still, my guess is that it won't reach the bid price of ~$400K that a PSA 8 did for Goldin or Heritage earlier this year.
Old 10-22-2015, 11:07 AM
Steven Finley

Mile High just had an 8 close $60k-$70k off recent sales so I'm interested to see where this one lands.
Old 10-22-2015, 11:21 AM

Well although eBay has it's own reputation and there is the reputation of the seller, it seems like selling on eBay allows you to avoid the issue of people refusing to bid with X auction house. You'll also get your money right away and not have to wait months between auctions for your item to go up for sale.
Old 10-22-2015, 11:22 AM
je.sse @rnot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Horse View Post
I am also almost certain that PWCC has arranged for possibly an even lower % then 10%.
I wouldn't be surprised either. Landing a card like this has to be good for his business, as I don't think he's ever even sold a card for 100k. I'm sure he'd be willing to negotiate to get the consignment. Could be a game changer.
Old 10-22-2015, 11:32 AM
Peter Spaeth

The biggest difference I see between ebay and an auction house at that price level is the bid increments.
Old 10-22-2015, 12:11 PM

Brent's net on a card like this selling at $400,000 should be roughly $391,749. If he extended 5% to the consignor that would mean he pockets $11749 without any advertising costs. He did a spread in PSA, so call that an extra $1500-$2000 more than his normal advertising costs.

All in all he will probably pocket $10k.
Old 10-22-2015, 01:59 PM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Location: https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/mysetregistry/set/348387

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean1125 View Post
Brent's net on a card like this selling at $400,000 should be roughly $391,749. If he extended 5% to the consignor that would mean he pockets $11749 without any advertising costs. He did a spread in PSA, so call that an extra $1500-$2000 more than his normal advertising costs.

All in all he will probably pocket $10k.
as long as the card gets 350k or so I would call it a success....how many people really are interested in paying 350k for this card or more..who are legit buyers...at 300k there will be people that believe they can resell it..but when get to the 350 range I don't think these are flippers... maybe sell later but not immediate..who knows..