NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 07-05-2019, 05:38 PM
Barry Sloate

A big lie can't go on forever. Sure, it may be business as usual at the National this year, but as time passes this story will grow. There will be a day of reckoning. It just might not be here quite yet.
Old 07-05-2019, 05:42 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrysloate View Post
A big lie can't go on forever. Sure, it may be business as usual at the National this year, but as time passes this story will grow. There will be a day of reckoning. It just might not be here quite yet.
Yes, Tiresias.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 07-05-2019, 05:48 PM
Barry Sloate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Yes, Tiresias.
I'm a regular Oracle of Delphi.
Old 07-05-2019, 05:49 PM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

Default "Lake Wobegon: Where everybody's above average."

That's an excellent point I had not thought of, and should be made to PSA investors who hope the controversy goes away.

The more high grade cards created, the less rare and valuable they will be.

Many make valuations by the Pop Report.

This alone should make collectors with high-grade cards who otherwise have their head in the sand take notice. These alterations/scams will affect the populations/valuations of their current investments. Their rare graded cards will be come less and less rare, and may someday be plentiful.

By putting their heads in the sand and hoping the forgets about it, they may not be protecting their investments but devaluating them.

Last edited by drcy; 07-05-2019 at 05:54 PM.
Old 07-05-2019, 05:53 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by drcy View Post
That's a good point.

The more high grade cards created, the less rare and valuable they will be.

Many make valuations by the Pop Report.

This alone should make collectors with high-grade cards who otherwise have their head in the sand take notice. These alterations/scams will affect the populations/valuations of their current investments. Their rare graded cards will be come less and less rare, and may someday be plentiful.
That's already happened with certain commons that were next to impossible to find decently centered. People just started to manufacture them.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 07-05-2019 at 05:53 PM.
Old 07-05-2019, 05:53 PM
Kenny Cole

Quote:
I'm a regular Oracle of Delphi.
But Tiresius was from Thebes. :-)
Old 07-05-2019, 06:16 PM
Bob C.

Quote:
Here's another reason David the prices of these cards will come down. In the battle between the card doctors who are trying to get their work past the graders, and the graders whose job it is to reject this garbage, the card doctors have just been given a rousing victory. They're popping the champagne, because if the TPG's refuse to acknowledge and fix this mess, they've given the card doctors the green light to continue doing what they've been doing. In fact, many will ramp up production. Heck, some might even hire a few trainees and teach them the tricks of the trade (when business is good you expand).

As a result, the number of altered cards in circulation will increase dramatically. Soon, there will be so many available they won't even be that hard to find. And if you increase the supply, prices will go down.

This is not a good look for the future of this industry. Nobody is listening to me, but I suggest TPG's take a really hard look at this problem before the hobby is ruined altogether.
Barry,

I'm listening and agree with you. The whole crux of this problem started back when the hobby community more or less let the TPGs take over as the sole arbiters of what is and is not authentic and what the grading system is and so on. We now have multiple TPGs with no single, clear set of standards or rules as to grades and yet, they have become the self-annointed, so-called experts of our hobby. To remove and replace them, especially because of things like the Registry, is virtually impossible to do now without severely disrupting the current status quo of the hobby and damaging so many innocent collectors and dealers. And quite frankly, because of the financial aspects of what they do, the TPGs are not able to operate and perform their supposed independent, third-party services without an eye towards their own bottom lines. In other words, they are in it for the money and not completely independent. Especially a TPG that is a publicly traded company. They are responsible and answer to their shareholders, not the collecting community to whom they have promised to provide fair, consistent and unbiased opinions and grading services. As it is, the TPGs have virtually no transparency as to what they do, no specific and consistent grading standards and methods among themselves, or even let us know the specific training their so-called experts go through to become graders, or so I've been led to believe over the years. And if someone wants to dispute me on that point I've heard put forth by others, let me know what would happen if I walked into a TPG's offices and asked to sit in while they graded my cards and see exactly what they did do. Would they let me observe?

What should have been done (or maybe should now be done) is to have set up or established some type of national collecting group or organization (preferably a non-profit type of entity) and have the people/collectors involved in the hobby become members and possibly pay annual dues to help raise some funds to oversee and handle aspects of the hobby on behalf of all collectors. This would be an organization for collectors, not auction houses, dealers, TPGs, or others that make their money and living off the hobby. As a national organization it could, for example, poll and find out from the members what the exact, consistent grading standards and measures should be for the grading of cards. Granted, everyone still won't always agree what would make a card worthy of a 3 grade as opposed to a 4 grade, and so on, but they would know that regardless of who was doing the grading that the grade would be consistent and in compliance and agreement with the overall standards set be the collecting community as a whole, not just the whim or opinion of a single TPG. Especially a publicly traded TPG that is in the business for profit alone (as are the other TPGs as well) and not really concerned about the collecting community other than how to best use them to make even more money. Besides setting uniform standards for grading and authenticating items, such an organization could also take on and set curriculum for training and the determination of what would qualify someone as an expert authenticator or grader, and not leave that solely up to each different TPG to decide for themselves and on behalf of all of us collectors either. And that way, any TPG that wanted to be approved and authorized by the collecting organization as a TPG would have to submit to review and oversight of their services to insure they are in compliance with what standards and measures the hobby organization chose, not what they wanted. And you could also establish divisions, groups in the organization to separately cover dealers, auction houses and so on. That way the various dealers, auction houses and other related groups and entities could also be subject to hobby organization review and oversight to insure that they confirm and meet hobby standards set by the hobby community, not the dealers and auction houses themselves. Of course to start out, you wouldn't necessarily have a large enough number of members to get anyone to agree to listen to you, but over time, if you could get enough people to understand and join in for the good of the hobby, TPGs, dealers and auction houses would have no choice but to listen. A TPG (or other groups/entities) could initially tell the hobby organization and its members to go to hell and not bother listening to them at all, but hopefully over time a national hobby organization could get eventually enough members who would then refuse to do business and use that TPG or other entities services anymore until they agreed to the unified standards and oversight of such national hobby organization.

Wouldn't be easy to start something like this and you certainly wouldn't get overnight approval or commitment from enough collectors to sway and coerce the current main players and participants who are more or less controlling and calling the shots in our hobby right away. But over time and with an ever growing member base you could slowly begin to force and make positive changes to get the TPGs, dealers, auction houses and others to finally agree to confirm and begin applying set, consistent standards, or force them to be ostracized by the collecting community going forward and damage their businesses, possibly irreparably. Sort of like the Better Business Bureau or the Good Housekeeping Seal of Approval organizations. And this current scandal that is coming out may just be the big, all-encompassing issue that could possibly act as the spark to set off such a wave of change in this hobby and at least start to put some of the control and decision making back in the hands of the collectors and not in the hands of those that make their money off the collectors.

I know, I know, possibly a far-fetched dream and thoughts, but you have to have dreams and hopes that start somewhere, right?
Old 07-05-2019, 06:22 PM
Bob C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Bob -- please take this constructively, but if you could break up some of those long paragraphs your posts would be easier to read.
Sorry, I'll quit posting. Not much more I can say or add anyway. You guys keep up the pressure and the good fight. We'll see how it all comes out.
Old 07-05-2019, 06:26 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

BobC, you are providing a useful perspective. It's just that wall of text posts are routinely ignored on message boards. Keep posting, but you'll get more traction with compact posts than long ones.

I find it very interesting that PSA is bringing graded cards to the National and asking visitors to their booth to "grade the cards" to see how much they match with the real grades. It would be funny if a bunch of people took them up on the offer and marked about 70% of them "Altered" as a result of this scandal.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 07-05-2019, 06:40 PM
Johnny MaZilli

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarmee View Post
BobC, you are providing a useful perspective. It's just that wall of text posts are routinely ignored on message boards. Keep posting, but you'll get more traction with compact posts than long ones.

I find it very interesting that PSA is bringing graded cards to the National and asking visitors to their booth to "grade the cards" to see how much they match with the real grades. It would be funny if a bunch of people took them up on the offer and marked about 70% of them "Altered" as a result of this scandal.
This is very laughable!! Mark Them GM !!!
Old 07-05-2019, 06:59 PM
Barry Sloate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Cole View Post
But Tiresius was from Thebes. :-)
Tiresius got around, despite vision problems.
Old 07-06-2019, 12:31 PM
J!m Be@m

Default Bob C. is Appreciated!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobC View Post
Sorry, I'll quit posting. Not much more I can say or add anyway. You guys keep up the pressure and the good fight. We'll see how it all comes out.
I, for one, appreciate your posts. While they may seem to be a bit verbose, they add more value (factual, precise, well worded, etc.) to the topic at hand than the majority of "one liners" and "speaking but not saying anything" posts I have difficulty following. I am a retired accountant (private sector) so that may help. I am looking forward to your follow up comments regarding the 6/30/2019 financial report of PSA. Hang in there and don't give up.

Jim
Old 07-06-2019, 12:46 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobC View Post
I was only suggesting you change the format of your posts to make them easier on the eyes.