NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-07-2019, 12:33 AM
Paul Lehr

Quote:
Originally Posted by kateighty View Post
Of course not. But false statements about my education and bar membership should not be allowed. And these statements are being quoted over and over again. That's beyond a personal attack. I stick by anything I personally say but for other people on here to use my full name and attack my personal credentials that's another story. It's not ok.
Well, good luck with that.
I think if you’re that easily offended you’re going to have a rough time on this board.
Old 08-07-2019, 12:35 AM
M@rk S@tterstr0m

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEHR View Post
I think if you’re that easily offended you’re going to have a rough time on this board.
Not to mention, life in general.
Old 08-07-2019, 12:49 AM
Greg C

Hey let's stick to the topic of the thread please.

The National went well. The Net54 gathering
was entertaining. Thanks Leon, and the sponsors.

Coming in second place in the PSA grading contest
was pretty cool...almost grabbed the #1 spot!

Thanks to all who took advantage of the free
service offered. I hope everyone saw some
Purple Label cards floating around the room
or in dealer showcases.

If you were unable to make it to the National,
Purple Label will be in White Plains in 2 weeks.
Ask for me, I will be running the surveillance
cameras for the show and I will have the Purple
booth in the center of the room. Come show off
your cards!

!!!
Old 08-07-2019, 04:34 AM
Rachel Stone
Rachel St.one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
With regard to checking on identities I am color blind, gender blind and anything else blind. Sorry if you want to make it into something it isn't. Please don't be so dramatic too. It makes it seem like I was correct when you posted my PM to you saying I thought you have thin skin. Once again, don't make this into a gender thing when it hasn't a thing to do with it. Thanks
I'd just like to add a few thoughts:

First, I have no issues with Leon about any of this. At first, I was pretty offended, but in time I realized that people buy and sell here and given all the shadiness in the hobby, it makes sense that people's identities might be questioned. After letting this settle in my mind a bit, I don't think Leon acted with any sort of sexism or anything like that. Leon did what he felt he had to do to and he did it in a respectful way, for the most part.

Having said that, others here were (and still are) far more sexist, among other things. For the few members here that aren't trigger happy psychopaths in their posts, I am grateful.

It seems to me that if anyone wanted to use an alternate identity to be here, choosing a female one would be a bad idea.

Interesting that Kat brought up my use of the word "Natty". That comes from my husband, who is far more educated in the ways of this hobby than I am. I had actually called it the "Nationals" earlier this year and he still makes fun of me for that.

I admit fully that I am undereducated about this stuff. That's in part why I'm here. I also admit that I've never been the sharpest knife in the drawer. To those that will undoubtedly ridicule me for this post, I say save it. I already know, and so does everyone else here. Ha ha Rachel is stupid, good laugh. Get over it, I'm not the only one.

I'd like to thank Leon and the other board members (whoever they are) for creating and maintaining a place for people to share a cool hobby. I'd also like to remind all the Grumpy McGrumpersons out there that this is supposed to be fun.

Have a great day everyone.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
Old 08-07-2019, 06:26 AM
T!M R10rd@n

Quote:
Good for you. You started collecting before I was in kindergarten. I've grown up in a time where people could care less about collecting cards, especially ones over 100 years old. It's something that means a lot to me and I take things personally. Sorry if you guys give me crap for that but that's how I am. Say what you will but I'm allowed to have my own feelings, especially when a bunch of old men start talking smack about me and wrongly hypothesizing about my background. Now that's more comical in my opinion.
That's great that people cared about collecting cards when you were growing up!
Old 08-07-2019, 10:06 AM
Chuck Tapia

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowpopper View Post

or in dealer showcases.

your cards!

!!!
Very happy for you. Like I said, if you have that passion for the purple labels continue on your path despite naysayers such as myself. You know how I feel about them. I just don't think you can examine the card well enough through the plastic and it's a gimmick.

Have you thought about starting your own grading company? I think you're young and motivated enough to find and use new technologies that can detect all this trimming and altering bullshit that PSA can not. Go for it kid and maybe you would be surprised who would invest in something like that.
Old 08-07-2019, 10:43 AM
©hri$ $€X₮ØΝ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuddjcal View Post
I just don't think you can examine the card well enough through the plastic...
This is actually my thought or concern. Greg, could you share how you evaluate an encased card for trimming? Measuring dimensions alone is imprecise, so what else is currently in the equation that would make an evaluator feel comfortable concluding that a card has not been trimmed.

Thanks.

1913 Cravats pennants

St. Paul Saints Game Used Bats and Memorabilia

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=180664
Old 08-07-2019, 11:08 AM
Charles
Charlie Ma.nn

Quote:

or in dealer showcases.

your cards!

!!!
Congratulations Greg! What did you win for second place? A set of steak knives?
Old 08-09-2019, 04:04 AM
Greg C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugsy View Post
This is actually my thought or concern. Greg, could you share how you evaluate an encased card for trimming? Measuring dimensions alone is imprecise, so what else is currently in the equation that would make an evaluator feel comfortable concluding that a card has not been trimmed.

Thanks.
I will share a tip:
Use 1 eye when you line up a ruler to a card
in a slab. If you have both eyes open, it will
cause a literal optical illusion due to the
perspective of binocular vision.

And...

Second prize was a platinum membership and
a PSA goody basket coming in the mail. Steve
Sloan invited me out to California also.

!!!
Old 08-09-2019, 05:32 AM
Bruce Fairchild

Quote:

Second prize was a platinum membership and
a PSA goody basket coming in the mail. Steve

!!!
Congrats!!
Old 08-09-2019, 11:03 AM
Ran-jodh Dh.ill0n

Quote:
I will share a tip:
Use 1 eye when you line up a ruler to a card
in a slab. If you have both eyes open, it will
cause a literal optical illusion due to the
perspective of binocular vision.
YES! You deserve a beer for this post! This is EXACTLY what I do!
Old 08-09-2019, 11:14 AM
Anson

Quote:
Originally Posted by samosa4u View Post
YES! You deserve a beer for this post! This is EXACTLY what I do!
And the beer will require you to open the second eye to see straight.
Old 08-09-2019, 05:47 PM
Scott Russell

Quote:
Steve

!!!
What he didn't tell you is that you will be expected to train staff while you're there...
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 08-09-2019, 06:45 PM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
After 30 years of collecting I’m still dumbfounded that people get so butt hurt over baseball cards or other people’s opinions of them in this hobby. And why would any parent give a crap if their young daughters one day joined a baseball card message board or not? That’s comical at best.
As a parent of two girls, who I try to explain my hobbies to, I'd be really happy if either of them liked cards enough to want their own account here.
They're a bit on the young side yet, but my oldest has shown some interest in small bits, mostly along the lines of
"what's that dad? "
"Oh, and old and pretty special baseball card. What to have a look? "
"Sure! what's special? "

I have to keep the explanations brief, but she seems to get it. And she's shown me the new pokemon cards when she gets a pack... So maybe.
She likes stamps too, maybe a bit more than cards.
Old 08-11-2019, 08:30 PM
K@t Alex@nder

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve B View Post
As a parent of two girls, who I try to explain my hobbies to, I'd be really happy if either of them liked cards enough to want their own account here.
Great to hear Steve. Well said and I hope to meet your lil ones one of these days at a Philly Show.
Old 08-11-2019, 08:34 PM
K@t Alex@nder

Quote:
Well, good luck with that.
You're from SLC. Good luck with that!
Old 08-11-2019, 09:10 PM
K@t Alex@nder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just.Rachel View Post
I'd just like to add a few thoughts:

First, I have no issues with Leon about any of this. At first, I was pretty offended, but in time I realized that people buy and sell here and given all the shadiness in the hobby, it makes sense that people's identities might be questioned. After letting this settle in my mind a bit, I don't think Leon acted with any sort of sexism or anything like that. Leon did what he felt he had to do to and he did it in a respectful way, for the most part.

Having said that, others here were (and still are) far more sexist, among other things. For the few members here that aren't trigger happy psychopaths in their posts, I am grateful.

It seems to me that if anyone wanted to use an alternate identity to be here, choosing a female one would be a bad idea.

Interesting that Kat brought up my use of the word "Natty". That comes from my husband, who is far more educated in the ways of this hobby than I am. I had actually called it the "Nationals" earlier this year and he still makes fun of me for that.

I admit fully that I am undereducated about this stuff. That's in part why I'm here. I also admit that I've never been the sharpest knife in the drawer. To those that will undoubtedly ridicule me for this post, I say save it. I already know, and so does everyone else here. Ha ha Rachel is stupid, good laugh. Get over it, I'm not the only one.

I'd like to thank Leon and the other board members (whoever they are) for creating and maintaining a place for people to share a cool hobby. I'd also like to remind all the Grumpy McGrumpersons out there that this is supposed to be fun.

Have a great day everyone.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
I'm sorry to the OPs but something is still up with this. Rachel's message to me made it seem like she was new to this hobby and wanted to learn. Quite different as she has a husband who is "far more educated" in the hobby? And she routinely gives props to Leon. Errrr what? Would love to know who her husband is on here for the record. Y'all might hate on me but no worries. Sure I'm a chick but I have more balls than all of you haters combined. Chomp on that.
Old 08-11-2019, 09:20 PM
K@t Alex@nder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark17 View Post
Not to mention, life in general.
So, so wrong Mark. Would only be the case if my last name was Lichtman.
Old 08-12-2019, 09:34 AM
Chuck Tapia

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuriousGeorge View Post
Ummm....just wondering if anyone has seen Kat Alexander and Rachel in the same room? Hmmmm, Kate’s last activity was July 26 and Rachel joined the same day. Hmmmm, Kate’s from DC and Rachel is from Miami though. Just wondering but could the next strange coincidence be that Kat went to a law school in Florida and is a member of the Florida bar? If I wasn’t certain Leon saw the similarities too and spoke with her I might actually start believing my conspiracy theory.
Thanks Jeffery, I mean Steve
Old 08-12-2019, 11:53 AM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Great to hear Steve. Well said and I hope to meet your lil ones one of these days at a Philly Show.
Maybe someday, that would be fun. I've never been to Philly, or the National. I used to get to the Shriners show in Mass, especially when I was a member of the club, but I only get there every couple years now.
We have a house made in the 1880's, and as I tell people there's good and bad news, The good is that it hasn't been messed with since around 1910... so no awful remodels. The bad is that … it hasn't seen much major work since 1910...
I replaced a few windows, maybe 25 to 30 to go. Which made it a lot more fuel efficient.. Just in time for heating oil to go up by about that much. Last winter was over 1000 a month just heating it.
On the other hand, there's plenty of room for cards....