NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 08-15-2012, 02:58 PM
Chuck Tapia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deertick View Post
Hmm... Some guy said some guy who worked at eBay said PSA sucks.

I have an email from him too. He said "I see O.J. And he look scared. Baba Booie to y'all."

Ironclad.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3cuf8YlL3H8

as Al Michaels said at the end, it was a total farsical call. Much like the guy who runs that ridiculous, hateful, albeit entertaining site, totally farcical.

1/2 truths and hate is all that comes from that idiot....I do belive that the Gonzalez guy said PSA & JSA suck though, because they do. Still, the guy that runs that site, formarly of Autograph Alert is a well known JACK ASS & hater through-out the industry.....
Old 08-15-2012, 03:00 PM
Chuck Tapia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Zipper View Post
One thing is clear: Travis has very high standards, demands and requirements for the third party authenticators.

His standards for what he considers credible journalism... not so high.
now that's funny and true, although I do appreciate Travis's input on this forum.
Old 08-15-2012, 03:03 PM
Chuck Tapia

Quote:
If it's not Travis himself, it's a safe bet it is one of 5 other people.

The article states, "Those in the field of autographs would be shocked to know how many good dealers were removed from eBay for selling genuine autographs deemed fake by PSA/DNA and JSA."

Really? Please let us know, how many. Can the author produce a list of all these great sellers who have been banned from eBay? Who are all these sellers who have been unjustly banned, Travis? Name names.
Todd Muellar is one, the guy who argued with me, right on that very site that this was a real Mantle...LOL....He's too good for E-bay anyway
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Todd Mueller Mantle 4-2011.jpg (42.4 KB, 230 views)
Old 08-15-2012, 03:06 PM
Chuck Tapia

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardsimon View Post
i knew john and knew of his frustrations with what was going on with the autograph business. He is one of the good guys. It was a loss to the hobby to see that john is no longer in charge of the ebay fraud division.
And i do agree that the authorless article should have a name attached to it to at least give it a modicum of credibility.
When it is one of five people who may have written it the credibility does fall short.
And why don't they give the cyrkin is an anti-semite story its long overdue retirement. Steve cyrkin is jewish, he made what could be interpreted by some as an anti-semetic remark. Jews, and i am one, have interpreted it as a joke. Steve cyrkin is jewish. Many people make jokes about their own race/religion. If some were offended by it that is their business and they can say so. But to beat it to death is absurd. Give it a rest already.
+1,000,000
Old 08-15-2012, 03:31 PM
Banned

He didn't seem to be in charge of the fraud division as far as it came to autographs, he seemed to have his hands tied. if he was in charge, he should have cleaned house and run a ship the way he wanted to, but he didn't. it seemed like he was running a ship the way others wanted.

The problem is that it's a fraud division, not just autograph fraud, and autograph fraud needs an autograph knowledgable person in charge of it. someone who knows the history of the hobby, what challenges it faces currently and how to fix it. i fear they probably just put another person in his place that will struggle just the same.

All autographs need to be accountable on ebay, not just non - psa, jsa, ga autographs.

there is a joe louis signed boxing license that's not good, and it is still on ebay, and it is report-proof, it will never come off, because it has a jsa cert.
That's the problem ebay faces, when you buy psa and jsa certs, you seem to buy a pass to sell them on ebay without critical inspection.
Old 08-15-2012, 03:37 PM
Chuck Tapia

Quote:
Originally Posted by travrosty View Post
He didn't seem to be in charge of the fraud division as far as it came to autographs, he seemed to have his hands tied. if he was in charge, he should have cleaned house and run a ship the way he wanted to, but he didn't. it seemed like he was running a ship the way others wanted.

The problem is that it's a fraud division, not just autograph fraud, and autograph fraud needs an autograph knowledgable person in charge of it. someone who knows the history of the hobby, what challenges it faces currently and how to fix it. i fear they probably just put another person in his place that will struggle just the same.

All autographs need to be accountable on ebay, not just non - psa, jsa, ga autographs.

there is a joe louis signed boxing license that's not good, and it is still on ebay, and it is report-proof, it will never come off, because it has a jsa cert.
That's the problem ebay faces, when you buy psa and jsa certs, you seem to buy a pass to sell them on ebay without critical inspection.
I would concur....I guess what you have there at e-bay is the lesser of 2 evils...and all in all, It's a HUGE step in the right direction. Although certainly not perfect. Not even good enough for me to ever buy another autograph, but better than I've ever seen.
Old 08-15-2012, 04:35 PM
Jim M.arinari

Leon,
Is it possible that someone hacked Travis' account? I would hate to think that we are all witness to his complete mental breakdown.....

Two major threads where the only descriptors I can come up with are obstinate and obtuse.
Old 08-15-2012, 05:24 PM

Face it Travis - You stepped in it this time. Your desire to constantly rip PSA and JSA got the best of you.
Old 08-15-2012, 05:46 PM
Wayne Walker

Quote:
no, it wasn't me, but he said it to my satisfaction, and if it's not to other's satisfaction, I don't care because I didn't write the story.

I know people don't like this news story, that an agent of ebay said that psa and jsa suck. It rubs them the wrong way but they will have to live with it.

I am personally satisfied that the story is true regarding the email and that's all that matters to me as I don't know who wrote the story, who owns the site and I wanted others to read it to make up their own mind.
I used to think you were merely a tad over zealous in your tirades, but you are now doing nothing but losing credibility on this one. If you don't/can't see why, than I just feel sorry for you. I know that you will now (if you haven't already) view me as being "with" TPAs as opposed to "against" them, but I frankly don't care because I don't look at the situation in that way. Do the TPAs suck? We talk about that a lot here, but unfortunately that is not what that article is about.

BTW, that "article" is a joke and represents some of the worst features of the Internet.

http://s236.photobucket.com/albums/f...NFT/?start=all
Old 08-15-2012, 06:04 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deertick View Post
Leon,
Is it possible that someone hacked Travis' account? I would hate to think that we are all witness to his complete mental breakdown.....

Two major threads where the only descriptors I can come up with are obstinate and obtuse.

Unless he (hi Travis) gave his password to someone or someone got on his computer while logged in, the answer is no. In reading the posts, to me, they are Travis at his best.

Last edited by Leon; 08-15-2012 at 06:48 PM. Reason: to say hi to Travis
Old 08-15-2012, 06:58 PM
Banned

most people here dont want haulsofshame, autographnewslive, to operate. it exposes the hobby dark side, and they dont want that. the want things to remain the same. so they take it out on me. that's good. they need a punching bag. the hobby is changing, mastro might be singing, and people are scared. i am not an authenticator, a dealer, and i haven't made ten cents in the hobby but my credibility is somehow the focus of everybody.

wait until things change, and then they can't come after the people who have been sounding the warning bell for years.

i will be proven right, and then the defenders of the status quo will be quiet just like b. mastro defenders. where are they now? people are airbrushing mastro out of their photos figuratively speaking. boy i didn't know i was that powerful. post a link, and people spend a lot of time on me. nice. keep it rolling, boys. if heritage couldnt intimidate or bully me, then this is nothing. I didn't ask for anyones permission to investigate it either. I didn't ask the gatekeepers if it was alright to show people that heritage was doing something wrong in my view. nobody owns me in this hobby, period.

heritage changed the way they listed psa and jsa auction loa;s and pre-certs because i exposed it first and other people had enough and made enough noise they couldn't ignore it anymore, and I wrote the first article exposing this auction loa mess on a website called what?

autographnewslive.com not anywhere else.

i won.

Last edited by travrosty; 08-15-2012 at 07:05 PM.
Old 08-15-2012, 07:05 PM

Quote:
most people here dont want haulsofshame, autographnewslive, to operate. it exposes the hobby dark side, and they dont want that. the want things to remain the same. so they take it out on me. that's good. they need a punching bag. the hobby is changing, mastro might be singing, and people are scared. i am not an authenticator, a dealer, and i haven't made ten cents in the hobby but my credibility is somehow the focus of everybody.

wait until things change, and then they can't come after the people who have been sounding the warning bell for years.

i will be proven right, and then the defenders of the status quo will be quiet just like b. mastro defenders. where are they now? people are airbrushing mastro out of their photos figuratively speaking. boy i didn't know i was that powerful. post a link, and people spend a lot of time on me. nice. keep it rolling, boys. if heritage couldnt intimidate or bully me, then this is nothing.

heritage changed the way they listed psa and jsa auction loa;s and pre-certs because i exposed it first and other people had enough and made enough noise they couldn't ignore it anymore, and I wrote the first article exposing this auction loa mess on a website called what?

autographnewslive.com not anywhere else.

i won.
I just wanted to lock you into this quote Travis.
Old 08-15-2012, 07:17 PM
Christopher Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekingofclout View Post
I just wanted to lock you into this quote Travis.
+1
Old 08-15-2012, 07:30 PM
Christopher Williams

Quote:
What "people." Travis? The cowards that hide behind psuedonyms and post anonymously? Are you the "spokesperson" for those that hide behind psuedonyms and post anonymously?

As for HaulsOfShame. com, at least Peter Nash doesn't hide behind a psuedonym. I respect that. I don't agree with everything he writes, but I can sure respect the fact that Mr. Nash doesn't hide behind a psuedonym or post anonymously.

And if, as you claim, the so-called "hammer" ever falls, I'm still going to be here, Travis. I'm still going to be posting under my name.

Last edited by thetruthisoutthere; 08-16-2012 at 06:36 AM.
Old 08-15-2012, 08:02 PM
Ke.n Su.lik

I was wondering what Koschal has been doing recently! I like how "they" single out PAAS as above reproach.

Chris, did you notice your name is in one of the posts? It's in French or something, though.

Ken
Old 08-15-2012, 08:49 PM
Chuck Tapia

Quote:
Originally Posted by earlywynnfan View Post
I was wondering what Koschal has been doing recently! I like how "they" single out PAAS as above reproach.

Chris, did you notice your name is in one of the posts? It's in French or something, though.

Ken
so is MORALESS, yet another reason that guy is jackity jackity jack ass.

I happen to be one who does agree with Travis that someday PSA will go the way of the Global /GAI bird: however, I strongly disagree at the way he goes about it with blinders on and supporting a complete mess like Koschal and his moronic ramblings of a mad man. He makes me look sane
Old 08-15-2012, 09:48 PM
Wayne Walker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuddjcal View Post
so is MORALESS, yet another reason that guy is jackity jackity jack ass.

I happen to be one who does agree with Travis that someday PSA will go the way of the Global /GAI bird: however, I strongly disagree at the way he goes about it with blinders on and supporting a complete mess like Koschal and his moronic ramblings of a mad man. He makes me look sane
I think PSA going away is inevitable. Might take a while or might be tomorrow. When it happens, I'll be hobbying unless I no longer enjoy it. I don't own anything with a sticker on it; I'll just have to break out the pliers and crack me some slabs! I will stand by the authenticity of what I own just as I do now.

Old 08-16-2012, 06:18 AM
Christopher Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by earlywynnfan View Post

Ken
That's what they do, Ken.

If they have nothing to hide, then why are they hiding?

Last edited by thetruthisoutthere; 08-16-2012 at 06:23 AM.
Old 08-16-2012, 06:26 AM
Christopher Williams

Quote:
i won.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-lJZiqZaGA
Old 08-16-2012, 08:31 AM
Chuck Tapia

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetruthisoutthere View Post
boy it's been along time since Dr. Demento!!! You laughed, you laughed I heard you laugh now that's funny!
Old 08-16-2012, 10:06 AM
Banned

I know a lot of people want the bill mastro era to keep rolling along but its coming to an end so they will just have to adjust. going after me doesnt help their cause but it makes them look desperate. the side of the hobby that is exposing the fraud is advancing, and the defenders of the status quo have been losing ground and they hate it so they have to lash out.

i posted a link to a story, it's obviously a very powerful story or else people wouldnt be so mad and come after me. i didnt write the story, but its only the beginning of exposing the truths in the hobby that have been hidden and buried for a long time that many people do not want others to know but it cant be stopped anymore.
Old 08-16-2012, 10:23 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
I know a lot of people want the bill mastro era to keep rolling along but its coming to an end so they will just have to adjust. going after me doesnt help their cause but it makes them look desperate. the side of the hobby that is exposing the fraud is advancing, and the defenders of the status quo have been losing ground and they hate it so they have to lash out.

i posted a link to a story, it's obviously a very powerful story or else people wouldnt be so mad and come after me. i didnt write the story, but its only the beginning of exposing the truths in the hobby that have been hidden and buried for a long time that many people do not want others to know but it cant be stopped anymore.
Travis- Don't flatter yourself, no one is going after you. We just don't care for people hiding behind keyboards and you don't seem to care. You posted a link with some erroneous information from an anonymous source. You like that, most others don't. Anonymous postings that are truthful, and show evidence, are given credence. Even though Peter Nash isn't one of my favorite hobbyists, a lot of what he says is substantiated facts. Him being the messenger, for me, makes it difficult to hear the message. And for the record I believe he has tried to crawl onto this board a few times, under the door so to speak.
No one on this board wants the hobby to be clean more than the folks you are lamenting. I have never read on this board where someone said, if anyone did anything wrong, they shouldn't be punished for it. It is no different than if you or I did something wrong, same thing. We all want to expose fraud in the hobby, not only you. Not too many folks in the hobby have done more than several people in this thread to try to rid the hobby of bad things. I think that is a wonderful thing and those folks, including yourself, have my support for that.
Old 08-16-2012, 11:01 AM
Wayne Walker

Quote:
going after me doesnt help their cause but it makes them look desperate
Leon is right, people here are not going after you, most are trying to show you why you are losing credibility in heedlessly pursuing a largely worthwhile cause.

And I myself have no cause. I like baseball autographs. I spend a lot of money on them. I'm apathetic about TPAs and find them more of an annoyance than anything else. They are a very large part of the hobby right now, for better or worse (and there are valid arguments on both sides). They may go away in the future. I'll deal with the new reality as it then sits. I'm not sure if it will be better or worse (meaning more or less fun for me, which is how I gauge my hobbies).

Does my apathy bother you, Travis?

Do you have fun in this hobby?

Last edited by mighty bombjack; 08-16-2012 at 11:02 AM.
Old 08-16-2012, 01:18 PM
Christopher Williams

Quote:

i posted a link to a story, it's obviously a very powerful story or else people wouldnt be so mad and come after me.
Travis, it's not a powerful story. What bothers me, and numerous other members here, is the fact that you posted a link to an article/post in which the author did not sign his name to it.

The content is irrelevant, except, of course, that the coward who authored it, got it wrong about John G. leaving Ebay.

Don't you get it, Travis? It's not about the content.

Why didn't the author sign his name to it? What is he/she afraid of?

You're so flattering of yourself, that you can't see beyond your own skin.

It's not about the content, Travis.

Last edited by thetruthisoutthere; 08-16-2012 at 01:57 PM.
Old 08-16-2012, 01:18 PM
Chuck Tapia

Quote:

Travis, I don't think that anyone is particularly mad at you? I certainly am not. I really think that it's just the complete and utter "tunnel vision" that you have that just really rubs people the wrong way and you are so infected with. I wonder if this rigidity carries over to other things in your life like interpersonal relationships and work endeavors? I know you don’t care and that’s cool. I always appreciate your spirit and you generally have so much to offer the hobby. I appreciate your balls to speak out on behalf of the jack asses behind the ANL’s every changing website, since you were kicked off the other one.

I still just find it so fascinating that people have such tunnel vision on things and just can’t understand normal thinking. You are strong in your convictions, but not being able to see 2 sides of a coin is really a personality defect. That’s only my opinion as a degreed Psychology major. If it makes you happy, that’s all that matters. I guess I’m just trying to get you to look at the “big picture” which you can’t seem to grasp. If it brings you peace, so be it.

Alexander Hamilton & Malcolm X once said (from Richard’s Website) “If you don’t stand for something, you’ll fall for anything”, so you’re in good company…but good god’s man, get a grip and take a reality pill and at least listen to what others are telling you. Try to deifier that it’s not a personal vendetta against you and we all want the same things for the hobby.

Flexibility in one’s thinking is never a bad thing Travis..

Last edited by Fuddjcal; 08-16-2012 at 01:21 PM.
Old 08-16-2012, 08:55 PM
Richard Simon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuddjcal View Post
Travis, I don't think that anyone is particularly mad at you? I certainly am not. I really think that it's just the complete and utter "tunnel vision" that you have that just really rubs people the wrong way and you are so infected with. I wonder if this rigidity carries over to other things in your life like interpersonal relationships and work endeavors? I know you don’t care and that’s cool. I always appreciate your spirit and you generally have so much to offer the hobby. I appreciate your balls to speak out on behalf of the jack asses behind the ANL’s every changing website, since you were kicked off the other one.

I still just find it so fascinating that people have such tunnel vision on things and just can’t understand normal thinking. You are strong in your convictions, but not being able to see 2 sides of a coin is really a personality defect. That’s only my opinion as a degreed Psychology major. If it makes you happy, that’s all that matters. I guess I’m just trying to get you to look at the “big picture” which you can’t seem to grasp. If it brings you peace, so be it.

Alexander Hamilton & Malcolm X once said (from Richard’s Website) “If you don’t stand for something, you’ll fall for anything”, so you’re in good company…but good god’s man, get a grip and take a reality pill and at least listen to what others are telling you. Try to deifier that it’s not a personal vendetta against you and we all want the same things for the hobby.

Flexibility in one’s thinking is never a bad thing Travis..
Fuddj,,, here is the quote from my website:
"Those who stand for nothing fall for anything."
--Alexander Hamilton

I never gave any credit to Malcolm X for that statement.
www.bonanza.com/booths/richsports
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow
Old 08-17-2012, 02:31 AM
Jeff G@rf!nkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardSimon View Post
--Alexander Hamilton

Maybe Malcolm X said it anonymously....would Travis then post it as breaking news?
Old 08-17-2012, 06:53 AM
Mark Fox

Quote:

But the number of people who want to see good changes in the hobby, who want to eradicate the fraud, eliminate the forgeries and clean the hobby up greatly outnumber those who want to perpetuate the current wrong in the hobby, but they are too often the silent majority. Just because a handful of people are up on their soap boxes and yelling loudly does not mean they represent the majority of us collectors.

Too many casual collectors for the most part are not aware of the rampant evil imbedded in the hobby. And a large number of us in the hobby are not educated enough, skilled enough or knowledgeable enough to pursue this great hobby without the help from trusted and reputable authenticators. Unfortunately there never seems to be enough Richard Simon’s in the hobby to help us out.

If you eliminate TPAs, where does that leave the hobby?
Old 08-17-2012, 08:44 AM
Steve Zarelli

Quote:
Originally Posted by markf31 View Post
If you eliminate TPAs, where does that leave the hobby?
In preparation for Travis' response, grab a big bowl of popcorn and pull up a comfy seat.

You will soon be regaled with a tale of a magical time before TPAs when everyone bought from 5 trusted dealers, everyone studied for months before they purchased every autograph and everything was much better.

The reality that is being denied is that the Internet fundamentally changed the way collectibles are bought and sold. It created a channel for collectors to easily and inexpensively sell to one another. No more having to consign or sell your collection to a dealer to sell it efficiently. The middle man was cut out of the equation. The next logical step is that an independent party emerges that provides a service so otherwise unknown collectors could sell items with some measure of credibility. It has happened in every single hobby where grading and/or authentication matters.

The irony is we continually see some people bashing the TPAs and promoting good dealers such as Richard or Jim. But when it is time for them to sell, they bypass selling it to a dealer and they use a TPA cert to sell it themselves. You can't have it both ways.

Any reasonable observer will admit no company is perfect and there is room for improvement and constructive feedback should be encouraged. But overall, I believe the TPAs have made buying safer. If you are looking to buy a Mantle, Williams, Jeter, Puhols, DiMaggio, Koufax and so forth, they get it right almost all the time.

Regrettably, there appears to be no middle ground with some people. If you are not bashing them all the time or give them credit for anything, you are "one of the insiders."

I think Travis could add to the hobby. Unfortunately there is no balance. When he was on Autograph Magazine Live, he had many opportunities to help collectors with his opinion on Boxing autographs, however not once did I ever see him help in a positive way or offer his opinion (unless it was to note an item a TPA got wrong in his opinion.) He derailed thread after thread with his rants and now loudly complains that he was banned because someone was trying to "silence" his message.

Sadly, there is so much anger that it has impaired all sense of reason, fairness and proportion.

In the interest of full disclosure, I am a space consultant for JSA.

Last edited by Mr. Zipper; 08-17-2012 at 08:49 AM. Reason: Spelling typo
Old 08-17-2012, 08:53 AM
Bill Panagopulos

The problem is that by all accounts it appears that the TPAs are in some way in cahoots with their larger-volume clients. When that happens, the temptation to pass bad material or upgrade lesser material become significant.

The TPAs have pretty much taken over the baseball world. In my trade, historical autographs, except for RR auction they are non-entities but trying hard to make inroads. Customers still depend on the reputation and expertise of the DEALER, not the sales and marketing departments of the TPAs.

We also have the horrendous reputations of Morales, Drew Max, and other such $&)(;$$&@$$ who IMO are so inept they've poisoned the well for ALL TPAs.

Just my two bits.
Old 08-17-2012, 09:02 AM
Bill Panagopulos

You are in many respect correct, Zip...but we dealers are paid for our expertise. If you hire a "plumber" on eBay and get the Three Stooges flooding your house (my favorite episode!), in a way you deserve what you get. Buying on eBay or at shows, if you haven't carefully checked out the seller, is like buying at a flea market - caveat emptor.

And at the risk of sounding snide...why should Travis, Richard, me or any other pro spend our valuable time vetting other people's material for free? My time is $200 an hour. I'll do it for the trade and for friends but professionals don't work for free. Ask Spence.
Old 08-17-2012, 10:05 AM
Shelly Jaf.fe

I have read through this tread and I have not seen a person say they emailed John. I thought that would end all the talk and banter. What I have also read is how many of you are his friends. Do the right think and see if its fact or fiction. John is a good guy and I would love to here what he has to say.
Old 08-17-2012, 12:35 PM
Steve Zarelli

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexautographs View Post
And at the risk of sounding snide...why should Travis, Richard, me or any other pro spend our valuable time vetting other people's material for free?
Fair point, but I was not aware Travis was a professional. In fact, he just said Wednesday, "i am not an authenticator, a dealer, and i haven't made ten cents in the hobby."

Which is odd because I also distinctly recall him stating numerous times that when he sells something, because of his expertise, he gets just as much for it as if it were certed by a TPA.

In any case, presuming he is primarily a collector, it would have been nice if he shared his expertise in a positive way when he had the opportunity.
Old 08-17-2012, 12:59 PM
Chuck Tapia

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardSimon View Post
--Alexander Hamilton

I'm sorry Richard, somewhere I thought I remember that it was a quote from malcolm X as well, albeit not on your website
Old 08-17-2012, 01:19 PM
Bill Panagopulos

Forums are dangerous places to vent...

I'm not sure it's entirely fair to pile-on Travis - I don't believe that he's malicious, perhaps just a bit overzealous but I think we would agree that we all have the same ends in mind: seeing that the creators and sellers of fraudulent material are stopped and hopefully jailed. I have a lot of experience in that respect.

It's just that something stinks about TPAs. It seems to me that their bigger customers get everything approved - witness the two Obama baseballs passed, which are both POS. Now, this is just my opinion, of course.

They are also in a position of great power: if they "kill" a piece, it's dead forever, even if it turns out to be authentic. If they authenticate a "bad" piece, it's "real" forever, and I have yet to see them comment on that, let alone withdraw bad certifications (I could be wrong).

I will defer to the Big Two on baseball, which interests me about as much as curling, but what experience do they have with Louis XIV or George S. Patton, or for that matter Britney Spears? 98% of what they've authenticated being sold on eBay is baseball.

Have they made any comment on the Wagner card?
Old 08-17-2012, 03:53 PM
Christopher Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelly View Post
I have read through this tread and I have not seen a person say they emailed John. I thought that would end all the talk and banter. What I have also read is how many of you are his friends. Do the right think and see if its fact or fiction. John is a good guy and I would love to here what he has to say.
I wrote to John a few days ago. He says "He's doing fine."
Old 08-17-2012, 06:21 PM
Shelly Jaf.fe

I have tried four times to try and change what I said on the first post. I hope this works. The people on here have just torn to pieces the one person that you would trust over anyone on this site to authenticate a boxing piece. Chris is a friend but did he say John said anything about what was printed. Did he ask him if it was fact. No.
You should all look in that mirror. You smell blood and you go into a feeding frenzy. I have more respect for the people that I served time with. They treated everyone the same respect until you screwed up. I remember during the McCarthy era a great attorney saying these words
You've done enough. Have you no sense of decency, sir, at long last? Have you left no sense of decency?Try and be men not little children in a school yard.
Enough said.
P.S. I do have dyslexia so if it sounds a little bit out of context it shows that I am not as perfect as the rest of you which has been told to me many times.

Last edited by shelly; 08-18-2012 at 09:04 AM.
Old 08-18-2012, 02:32 PM
Christopher Williams

Quote:
I have tried four times to try and change what I said on the first post. I hope this works. The people on here have just torn to pieces the one person that you would trust over anyone on this site to authenticate a boxing piece. Chris is a friend but did he say John said anything about what was printed. Did he ask him if it was fact. No.
You should all look in that mirror. You smell blood and you go into a feeding frenzy. I have more respect for the people that I served time with. They treated everyone the same respect until you screwed up. I remember during the McCarthy era a great attorney saying these words
You've done enough. Have you no sense of decency, sir, at long last? Have you left no sense of decency?Try and be men not little children in a school yard.
Enough said.
P.S. I do have dyslexia so if it sounds a little bit out of context it shows that I am not as perfect as the rest of you which has been told to me many times.
I emailed John to find out how he was doing.

Yes, I did ask him about that coward-written article/post. If John did reply to my specific question, I won't divulge here and it's none of anyone's business.. That would be between John and myself. It is up to John if he wants let the hobby public know of his opinion of PSA and JSA.

Who is anyone here to demand what John is thinking about anything!!!
Old 08-18-2012, 05:49 PM
Banned

Quote:
Fair point, but I was not aware Travis was a professional. In fact, he just said Wednesday, "i am not an authenticator, a dealer, and i haven't made ten cents in the hobby."

Which is odd because I also distinctly recall him stating numerous times that when he sells something, because of his expertise, he gets just as much for it as if it were certed by a TPA.

In any case, presuming he is primarily a collector, it would have been nice if he shared his expertise in a positive way when he had the opportunity.

I NEVBER said that BECAUSE of my expertise, i get the same money on my autographs as a tpa. Quit lying.

I have always said that autographs get the same whether tpa or not because they are real, period, whether me or someone else sells them, especially when you have to deduct the 100 dollars it costs to get a psa or jsa from the final selling price. a rocky marciano sig brings in 400- 420 with a tpa cert. it brings in 375 to 400 if not. sometimes it is a 400-400 tie. even allowing for the largest margin, deduct 100 for the cert, and the tpa marciano brings in 320 compared to 375 for the non tpa cert. who won?

I am very experienced in boxing autographs, that makes me a pro in that sense of the word. I haven't made it my profession that i make a living or part of a living off of, but when someone says "he's a real pro!", they are saying he knows his stuff. and in boxing, i do.

i give my opinion for free to my friends that know me, and even to a few new people that get my email from others.

what i dont enjoy is correcting spence and grad over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over again. Then I have just done their work for them and THEY get the 150 bucks and didn't have to be accurate with their work and take my correction and put the notes in their exemplar file. They have just learned from me, cashed the check. Didn't have to be accurate at all, and then they still go out and call themselves super experts.

but we correct them in public to show people they don't know what they are talking about in boxing, we still have a tons more to show.

maybe that is why the email said what it said and people are mad the cat is out of the bag.

Then i get a snide comment that says "if he hasn't written it himself" which is accusing me of writing it, or accusing me of knowing who wrote it. "Travis purportedly knows who wrote it"

Typical tactics used by those who don't like the subject matter to smear. go after the person whom they don't like.

Autograph Magazine Live does the same thing. If you expose something rotten they don't want exposed, you get hit from all sides and eventually banned.

But go after GAI mercilessly all day every day and you get applauded. So there are approved people to rip, and unapproved, and I have seen it before and went through it before.

Ebay guy happened to say in an email what he really felt, and now everyone knows and it is embarrassing to SOME. Not to me as I am in agreement with him.

Last edited by travrosty; 08-18-2012 at 05:57 PM.
Old 08-18-2012, 06:54 PM
Shelly Jaf.fe

I have one question to all the people that have had there fun with Travis.
The question is who on this board would you trust the most to authenticate any boxing item.
1 Psa
2 JSA
3 ACE
4 Morales
5 PAAS
6 The Donald
7 Ted Taylor
8 William Tell
9 Drew Max
10 GAI
If None of the above tell me who that might be.
If you make fun of this question which I am sure some people will. Then we are back to the school yard.
Old 08-18-2012, 07:55 PM
Richard Simon

Quote:
I have one question to all the people that have had there fun with Travis.
The question is who on this board would you trust the most to authenticate any boxing item.
1 Psa
2 JSA
3 ACE
4 Morales
5 PAAS
6 The Donald
7 Ted Taylor
8 William Tell
9 Drew Max
10 GAI
If None of the above tell me who that might be.
If you make fun of this question which I am sure some people will. Then we are back to the school yard.

From what I have seen the first two should exclude boxing from the list of items that they are willing to authenticate.
I would feel much more comfortable with Travis authenticating boxing then with anyone on the list.
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow
Old 08-18-2012, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Who is anyone here to demand what John is thinking about anything!!!
That's rich, coming from someone who is constantly demanding answers to his own questions!

Last edited by David Atkatz; 08-18-2012 at 10:16 PM.
Old 08-19-2012, 08:38 AM
Christopher Williams

Travis, if John G. really wrote that in an email to someone, why didn't that someone sign his or her name to that article post? Why be a gutless coward about it if it is true? My curiosity is "Why post it anonymously?" The content really is irrelevant in my eyes.

As controversial as Peter Nash may be, he doesn't hide behind a pseudonym or write it anonymously. I respect that.

You see you have to understand something, Travis posted a link to that to get attention. Nothing more, nothing less. And he got what he wanted.

It is purported that Travis does know the author of that article/post. If Travis can use the word purported, why can't anyone else here?

Travis, isn't the author of that article/post, part of the same gang (all using pseudonyms and anonymous posters) that attacks my friends and myself anonymously? If they're going to attack me, why are they such cowards about it? Why are they hiding?

That site recently mentioned Net54 and here's what they wrote:

This is a blog that discusses mostly baseball cards but also autograph collecting. There can be some interesting discussions on this site. But like most sites if the person blogging is not a real name, take it with a grain of salt for it could be your ex getting revenge against you!

Guess what, the coward that posted the above comment, posted it anonymously.

Last edited by thetruthisoutthere; 08-19-2012 at 10:41 AM.
Old 08-19-2012, 08:54 AM
Banned

Quote:
Travis, if John G. really wrote that in an email to someone, why didn't that someone sign his or her name to that article post? Why be a gutless coward about it if it is true? My curiosity is "Why post it anonymously?" The content really is irrelevant in my eyes.

As controversial as Peter Nash may be, he doesn't hide behind a pseudonym or write it anonymously. I respect that.

You see you have to understand something, Travis posted a link to that to get attention. Nothing more, nothing less. And he got what he wanted.

It is purported that Travis does know the author of that article/post. If Travis can use the word purported, why can't anyone else here?

Travis, isn't the author of that article/post, part of the same gang (all using pseudonyms and anonymous posters) that attacks my friends and myself anonymously? If they're going to attack me, why are they such cowards about it? Why are they hiding?

That site recently mentioned Net54 and here's is what they wrote:

This is a blog that discusses mostly baseball cards but also autograph collecting. There can be some interesting discussions on this site. But like most sites if the person blogging is not a real name, take it with a grain of salt for it could be your ex getting revenge against you!

Guess what, the coward that posted the above comment, posted it anonymously.

i dont know who wrote it. I know your m.o., keep poking someone until they say something you think can get them in trouble and then take screenshots and then go tell teacher for your little scooby snack. I have no idea who posts there. i used to write articles when it was a forum people could join and write at. I exposed the auction loa mess and others exposed the pawn stars debacle, stories you won't find being broke wide open at scd or autograph magazine live.

if the story was elmo retires from sesame street, i am sure you would spend all this time on it? of course the content is relevant.

You certainly have a lot of questions for the author at anl, keep asking me though.

mr. dragnet type questions aimed at the clouds or at nobody is really funny.

keep this thread going, my threads get all the love. or we could talk about some mickey mantle that sold for $11.45 cents.
'
Lot more threads about the truth "they don't want you to know about" concerning the autograph hobby coming very soon.

Last edited by travrosty; 08-19-2012 at 09:15 AM.
Old 08-19-2012, 09:25 AM
Christopher Williams

The same gutless cowards that wrote the article/post alleging that John G. wrote that email, also wrote the below comment:

The noose is tightening around the fraudsters and their associates like Steve Cyrkin and Roger Epperson, Mysinger andChris Williams. Most of the legitimate hobby has heard, reasoned, and come tothe decision they are all buffoons.

Yes, the same gutless cowards.

They attack people annonymously.

These are the people that Travis is the spokesperson for. Travis has the guts to post his criticisms under his own name, but the cowards remain nameless.

If those people are so righteous, why are they hidiing? Why do they attack attack people annonymously or under psuedonyms?

Last edited by thetruthisoutthere; 08-19-2012 at 10:10 AM.
Old 08-19-2012, 09:38 AM
Fr@nk Burke++

Talking What the autographnewslive website thinks of us -

www.net54.com

Leon, what's my exwife's handle?

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 08-19-2012, 10:12 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankbmd View Post
www.net54.com

Hang on, I will go in the other room and ask her .
Old 08-19-2012, 10:14 AM
Richard Simon

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankbmd View Post
www.net54.com

You just got to love a website that knocks Net54 for the POSSIBILITY of anonymity, when the writer of said website is totally anonymous.
--
Old 08-19-2012, 10:45 AM
Shelly Jaf.fe

He said She said should have been over at least 90 threads ago. Time to put it to bed and go on to the next disagreement.
Here are a few suggestions. Do you like a left handed players autograph better and why. Do teams that have more players who's names begins with c play better?.If you where to get a famous swimmer to sign something what other than a photo would that be? Last but not least who was the best looking women athlete in the Olympics and why would you like her autograph. That should make for a few arguments.

Last edited by shelly; 08-19-2012 at 11:22 AM.
Old 08-19-2012, 11:10 AM
Steve S.
St.eve S@lem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
Hang on, I will go in the other room and ask her .

+ 1