NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Watercooler Talk- ALL sports talk

Old 06-28-2017, 06:32 AM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

I guess I'm just getting older, but it sure seems like the trade deadline date got here a lot quicker this year.

Almost half the 'new' season is already in the rearview mirror.

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente
Old 06-28-2017, 02:24 PM
Kyle May

Quote:
Originally Posted by ooo-ribay View Post
Giants fire sale!

Hoping Cueto, Pence and Melancon find new homes.

Belt, if we can get something good.

Conflicted on Samardzija.
Where do you think each of them will end up?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCRfan1 View Post
The Royals are going to be buyers. Many of us in KC believe the team is in first by the all star game.
We'll see about that. I'm surprised at how tight the AL Central is (my damn Indians can't seem to get over the hump), and that KC is still in the hunt. Would they be buyers even with the contract situation this offseason?

Quote:
Originally Posted by clydepepper View Post
I guess I'm just getting older, but it sure seems like the trade deadline date got here a lot quicker this year.

Almost half the 'new' season is already in the rearview mirror.
This year in general is FLYING by.

- Hall of Famers
Progress: 318/340 (93.53%)

- Grover Hartley PC
Needs: T207 Anonymous Factory 25 Back, 1914 New York Evening Sun Supplements, 1917 D328 Weil Baking Co., and (possibly) 1917 Merchant's Bakery

- Jim Thome PC

- Cleveland Indians Franchise Hall of Fame
Old 06-28-2017, 04:50 PM
Lou Simcoe
L0u Sim.coe

Kyle,

KC will be buyers even with the contract situation looming with 4 players or more.

However, KC needs to right the ship and take the next 2 games from Detroit.

There will be no playoff team from the Central, only the Division winner.

Who is KC looking at? Jay Bruce and JD Martinez. Bruce was heavily rumored to be coming to KC back in 14 I believe. Another SP, or lights out reliever should be in the mix.

Detroit is in full sell mode. My guess is anyone on that team can be had, excluding Verlander and Fulmer.

Cleveland needs to get pitching figured out, and should buy.

Twins are still young, but need to make a splash in FA with an arm.

Sox are in full rebuild mode, and will sell off Quintana and Frazier.

KC doesn't have much left in the farm system, but there are some nice players there. So they aren't dry yet, but close.

Where is KC's FA going?

Hosmer is sooooooooo gone. He has NOTHING keeping him here. No family, no wife and kids. This guy is single with a couple of girls in each MLB town and then some. KC drafted his replacement this past draft.

Hosmer goes to the Yankees. Greg Bird is injury prone and can't stay on the field. This is an easy flight for Hosmer's family in FL. I suppose EH could go to the Marlins, but they have Bour who has more power, and just as young. So he would have to be traded I guess if that happens. Hosmer's game doesn't translate well to Miami. His numbers would suffer quite a bit. A wild card could be the Rockies. They have a BIG need at 1st.

Escobar is gone too, for different reasons than Hosmer. Escobar is horrible at the plate. Nice glove, but Escobar is one of the worst offensive players in the game. Besides, KC has a replacement in Mondesi.

Moose is the player KC will try hardest to sign. He's getting some roots in KC being married and a new dad. His wife is actively involved in the community. Potential problems though are that Mike and the wife are BOTH from SoCal. So, the Angels are a great fit if KC can't or won't pony up. KC could use Cheslor Cuthbert at third is they lose Moose. It would be KC like to find a retread for 3rd though and 1st as well.

Cain will try to be signed by KC on the cheap. He usually gets hurt and misses 20 or so games a year. Plus he's 31 and I don't believe the money is there for him. Cain bats 3rd in KC lineup, and that's not a typical spot for his style of offense. A more potent offense, and he's batting lower. Cain's married with a couple of kids and lives in Norman, OK. That's an easy drive to KC. Anywhere else, and he's flying home.

The GM, Dayton Moore, has REALLY blown it signing Alex Gordon to a " lifetime " contract. That money could have been used now.

Just my 2 cents worth.....

Last edited by KCRfan1; 06-28-2017 at 04:55 PM. Reason: added more stuff!
Old 06-29-2017, 08:22 AM

I don't know how much interest the Yankees would have in Hosmer. Tyler Austin plays first base too and in my opinion it's way too early to give up on Bird.
Old 06-29-2017, 08:51 AM
Kyle May

So the owners are going to respect the fans and go down swinging? That's interesting. Usually a small-market team would trade off their soon-to-be-departing-FAs to retool and restock the farm system. I can definitely respect an owner not giving up on the season and giving the fans competitive baseball!

Jason Vargas was a potential target for the Indians about a month ago, but KC's resurgence and Cleveland's lack of put-away victories have probably taken Vargas off the market, at least to Cleveland. I don't know who we'll get or what we'll do, but this isn't Shapiro's Indians anymore. They'll most likely make a splash or two. We need a SP and BP help. I'd love to see us unload Carlos Santana to a sucker team.

I'm excited to see the Tigers sell everyone off. Same with the Tigers and Quintana/Frazier, although these Frazier-to-the-Red-Sox rumors need to stop.

It's going to be a 3-way battle for the AL Central between the Indians, Twins, and Royals. It's going to be interesting to see who does what.

- Hall of Famers
Progress: 318/340 (93.53%)

- Grover Hartley PC
Needs: T207 Anonymous Factory 25 Back, 1914 New York Evening Sun Supplements, 1917 D328 Weil Baking Co., and (possibly) 1917 Merchant's Bakery

- Jim Thome PC

- Cleveland Indians Franchise Hall of Fame
Old 06-29-2017, 08:52 AM

Hosmer's a free agent after this season. After the Yankees refused to part with prospects last year and over the off season, I can't see why they'd change their mind now. They had said all along they were playing for a play off spot this year so I don't think anything has changed re: trading prospects for a rental.
Old 06-29-2017, 07:28 PM
Lou Simcoe
L0u Sim.coe

As long as KC is close and in the race, they will not move players. If they fall out of contention, they'll move players.

The Yankees have no need to move prospects. I think Hosmer is made for Yankee stadium, and Boras will pitch NY to sign Hosmer as a FA.

It's not boring in KC when it comes to the Royals.
Old 07-01-2017, 07:52 AM
Steve P
Steven Pacc.hiano

Mets should be sellers, though u never know.....

Duda and bruce should both be dealt. Both having good years both free agents next year.
Successful transactions with: Drumback, Mart8081, Obcmac, Tonyo, markf31, gnaz01, rainier2004, EASE, Bobsbats, Craig M, TistaT202, Seiklis, Kenny Cole, T's please, Vic, marcdelpercio, poorlydrawncat, brianp-beme, mybuddyinc, Glchen, chernieto , old-baseball , Donscards, Centauri, AddieJoss, T2069bk,206fix, joe v, smokelessjoe, eggoman, botn, canjond

Looking for T205's or anything Babe Ruth...email or PM me if you have any to sell.

Last edited by EvilKing00; 07-01-2017 at 07:52 AM.