NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 09-07-2013, 04:45 PM
Bill Gregory

Default It's the most wonderful time of the year. REA auction time!

Unlike Santa Claus, who often brings things like ties, socks, and underwear, mailmen and women across America will soon be lugging the latest behemoth 6 lb REA catalog to deliver to good boys and girls in the hobby. Until that glorious day when my mailman is seen struggling up the driveway with my catalog in tow, I will be sitting like Pavlov's dog looking out the window, waiting ever so patiently.

As this is the first auction I will be participating in--anywhere, I am very excited. I certainly cannot hang with the big boys when it comes to buying power (no Cracker Jack Lajoies or Babe Ruth M101-5s for me), but I am hoping to see a nice mid range T206 Walter Johnson portrait to make a play for. Maybe if I get a little crazy, I'll look at a something like an E121 American Caramel Tris Speaker!

But I don't honestly know what I am more excited by: the prospect of knocking off one or two cards from my pre-war & vintage want list, or getting the actual catalog itself. Nearly four months after their last auction ended, I still look at their spring catalog daily. For somebody wanting to learn everything there is to know about the early years of baseball cards, it's a veritable treasure trove of knowledge (and eye candy).

So, I am starting the discussion this year about REA's auction for multiple reasons. First of all though, let me say I am in no way affiliated with Robert Edwards Auctions. I am just a collector looking to establish a humble collection that I can love the rest of my (hopefully long) life.

Ok, so the reasons for the thread. Our veteran members know all too well the euphoria that comes with first cracking open a freshly-minted REA catalog. I imagine wives across America mumbling under their breath as their hubbies ensconce themselves in the bathroom, giggling like a little kid with each page turn. But some of our newer members might not know about REA, and they may have never seen their catalog. So, I want to make our new members aware of the catalog and auction. They are very well done, and if you are new to this niche of the baseball card hobby, you would be wise to order one. Their catalog will have beautiful pictures of the items for sale, and provide fascinating information about the provenance of the pieces. REA makes their catalog available completely free of charge to anybody that asks for it. All one has to do is go to their website, and fill out a simple form, or call them:

http://www.robertedwardauctions.com/

Scroll down to the bottom of the home page, and click on the link to request one.

I have not yet done business with REA, but I am impressed nonetheless by their customer service. I inquired one morning if they were holding a second auction this fall, and within a few hours, I had confirmation back from REA's Auction Director, Dean Faragi. And when I registered for bidding rights, their approval came quickly. Their website is easy to navigate (and as an amateur web designer on the side, I appreciate the ease of finding exactly what I am looking for.) None of these things on their own would be a big deal, but I appreciate their attention to detail, and taken as a whole, I am very impressed by what I have seen thus far.

Second, I would like to know when people start receiving their catalogs. This past spring, one gleeful member after another would report in when their catalog arrived. So, when they start showing up, please let the rest of us know.

Thirdly, I would love to see what everybody won after the auction has closed, and I am hoping to see lots of scans and photos here in early November.

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.

Last edited by the 'stache; 09-07-2013 at 04:47 PM.
Old 09-07-2013, 06:24 PM
Jeff 'Prize-ner'

sick Rose Matty.
Old 09-07-2013, 06:48 PM
nels0n aud.et

Beautifull Plank in the preview
Old 09-07-2013, 06:51 PM
Belltown Vintage

I can't wait - we were up chatting until the last one ended in the early hours of the morning - as much fun as waiting out a Barry Sloate auction with a bottle of cabernet. This one should be just as great.
Old 09-07-2013, 06:53 PM
qualitycards

How cool is this piece?

Old 09-07-2013, 07:37 PM
Bill Gregory

It's quite cool, Jay.

How rare a piece is that?

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.
Old 09-07-2013, 07:38 PM
Bill Gregory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runscott View Post
I can't wait - we were up chatting until the last one ended in the early hours of the morning - as much fun as waiting out a Barry Sloate auction with a bottle of cabernet. This one should be just as great.
I'm quite the night owl, Scott, so I might join you all this time around, even if I no longer have any vested interest in what's being sold. But who knows, maybe I'll find something I like and get lucky.

Old 09-07-2013, 07:55 PM
Don

Thanks for the tip. I signed up to get their catalog.
Old 09-07-2013, 08:31 PM
Bill Gregory

Excellent, Don. You'll love it, trust me. Unfortunately, you'll find about 200 cards you really want, and that will burn a hole in your pocket. That's how REA gets ya. They show you the goods for free.

Old 09-07-2013, 08:36 PM
Gr3g N@z@r3th

I actually consigned some cards for the upcoming auction to Rob and Brian and have had nothing but GREAT customer service!!! Looking forward to the auction!
Old 09-07-2013, 08:53 PM
Don

Quote:
Originally Posted by the 'stache View Post
Excellent, Don. You'll love it, trust me. Unfortunately, you'll find about 200 cards you really want, and that will burn a hole in your pocket. That's how REA gets ya. They show you the goods for free.
Ha, I know what you mean. I'm just getting back into cards though after a couple of years of not collecting, so if I start a new collection (still an if at this point), it will definitely be small and focused, like Ginter N28's or a small OJ subset.
Old 09-07-2013, 09:08 PM
Bill Gregory

Identifying what you want to collect from the onset is really smart.

Here's hoping you decide to jump back in.

Old 09-07-2013, 09:15 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnaz01 View Post
I actually consigned some cards for the upcoming auction to Rob and Brian and have had nothing but GREAT customer service!!! Looking forward to the auction!
+1 just one lot for me, but it's my first consignment ever.

But I'll probably still be the one writing a check.
Old 09-07-2013, 10:29 PM
John Mavroudis

I signed up and got the Spring one... Do you know if I have to sign up again or do they just send the next one out?

www.zenpop.com
Old 09-08-2013, 07:49 PM
Bill Gregory

John, you signed up as in registered for bidding? Or signed up to get a catalog?

I'd call them in the morning to be sure, but I think if you ask for a catalog, it's a one time thing. If you register, I think they will send them to you prior to the auction. I've read that if you have bid on items, they will continue sending them to you. Since I plan on bidding, and walking away with a card or two, I hope these wonderful catalogs will continue coming my way.

Please let us know what they tell you. I'd like to know definitively!

Thanks,

Bill

Old 09-08-2013, 09:02 PM
Dan Brown

I've tried several times to request a catalog, but being from Canada there is no option for that. I have emailed a few times with no reply. Would love to see what everyone is gushing over!
Old 09-08-2013, 09:14 PM
Bruce C@rter

Quote:
Originally Posted by deebro041 View Post
I've tried several times to request a catalog, but being from Canada there is no option for that. I have emailed a few times with no reply. Would love to see what everyone is gushing over!
Call them. 908-226-9900
Old 09-08-2013, 09:51 PM
Dan Brown

Thanks Bruce, yes I will.
Old 09-09-2013, 12:07 AM
John Mavroudis

Quote:
Originally Posted by the 'stache View Post
John, you signed up as in registered for bidding? Or signed up to get a catalog?

I'd call them in the morning to be sure, but I think if you ask for a catalog, it's a one time thing. If you register, I think they will send them to you prior to the auction. I've read that if you have bid on items, they will continue sending them to you. Since I plan on bidding, and walking away with a card or two, I hope these wonderful catalogs will continue coming my way.

Please let us know what they tell you. I'd like to know definitively!

Thanks,

Bill
Thanks for the info, Bill... and I'll let you know what happens... Cheers!

www.zenpop.com
Old 09-09-2013, 05:52 AM
Ed McCollum

Default my wife loves their catalog

She loves that smell of ink on paper that you can only get from a good sized, well printed catalog. Can't really describe it any better than that. Having worked in the for profit sector the first 30 years of my career, I'd be around that smell all the time at press checks, etc. She was never around it until I started to get catalogs from REA and Goodwin. Now, sometimes when I get home, the catalog has already been taken from it's box or envelop, but not for the pretty pictures ... but for the smell.

She's even mentioned someone should capture that fragrance and name it "eau de Catalog", as she thinks a lot of men would want to be reminded of the day the catalog arrived, and some women wouldn't mind it either.
Old 09-09-2013, 07:32 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuckInOmaha View Post
She loves that smell of ink on paper that you can only get from a good sized, well printed catalog. Can't really describe it any better than that. Having worked in the for profit sector the first 30 years of my career, I'd be around that smell all the time at press checks, etc. She was never around it until I started to get catalogs from REA and Goodwin. Now, sometimes when I get home, the catalog has already been taken from it's box or envelop, but not for the pretty pictures ... but for the smell.

She's even mentioned someone should capture that fragrance and name it "eau de Catalog", as she thinks a lot of men would want to be reminded of the day the catalog arrived, and some women wouldn't mind it either.
I have heard of (and participated in) smelling of cards but not the catalogs. I will have to try that. REA always has some good stuff. I am almost always more broke after their auctions too .
Old 09-09-2013, 09:20 AM
John G.
John Gu.zik

If you've recieved a catalog from REA in the past, do you keep getting them, or do you have to request one each time?

N4: QUESTIONABLE AUTHENTICITY
Old 09-09-2013, 11:45 AM
Gr3g N@z@r3th

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReefBlue View Post
If you've recieved a catalog from REA in the past, do you keep getting them, or do you have to request one each time?
You will keep getting them
Old 09-09-2013, 02:46 PM
Jake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
I have heard of (and participated in) smelling of cards but not the catalogs. I will have to try that. REA always has some good stuff. I am almost always more broke after their auctions too .
Man, you're missing out. Always enjoy the smell.

Always up for a trade.

If you have a Blue Weiser Wonder WaJo, PM/Email Me!
Old 09-09-2013, 04:43 PM
Brian Dwyer

Default REA Fall Auction

I saw this thread and want to first say that we appreciate the kind words and that people are looking forward to the fall auction (which, by the way, is intended to be smaller than the spring auction – we think it’s a great auction but we don’t want to disappoint anyone! – Instead of “six pounds,” think “two pounds”).

After seeing a few questions about how to get a catalog, I thought I should come on here and spell out how the catalog mailing works so that you can ensure you will receive a catalog if you want one.

If you’ve EVER placed a bid in an REA auction (whether it was a winning bid or not), you will receive a catalog!

If you registered as a new bidder any time after the May 2013 auction, you will automatically receive the fall catalog.

If you used the ‘Request a Catalog’ link within the last month, you will also, of course, receive a catalog.

If you don’t think you fit into any of these three categories, but you’ve received catalogs in the past, you’re welcome to e-mail us at info@robertedwardauctions.com to double check your status. If you’ve never signed up for a catalog but would like one, you can request one at www.robertedwardauctions.com/contact/index.html. We also encourage everyone to log in to their account and verify your mailing address within the next two weeks to ensure that catalogs are shipped to the right address. You can do this by going to bid.robertedwardauctions.com/login.aspx, signing in to your account, clicking the Personal tab at the top of the page, and updating your information if necessary. If you forget either your bidder number or password, there is a retrieval process on the login page.

We mailed out approximately 10,000 catalogs for our spring auction, and we’re always interested in getting catalogs to all those who are interested in receiving them. For the fall auction, we will also be experimenting with providing an additional “page-turning virtual catalog” that many may find just as valuable as the printed catalog (and will be identical in design). If the “virtual catalog” is well received (and please note this is in addition to REA’s standard online auction bidding platform) we will provide this extra catalog format for future auctions as well. If you have any questions, please feel free to email us at info@robertedwardauctions.com.

Brian
Old 09-09-2013, 05:31 PM
Bill Gregory

Thank you so much, Brian, for the clarification on your catalog mailings. Though it might be a somewhat smaller auction, I think it safe to say that nobody will be disappointed. The items that have been previewed on your site are pretty jaw dropping. I especially like the Plank T206, the '34 Goudey uncut sheet, the Ty Cobb bat, and the Ted Williams road jersey.

I am definitely looking forward to October, and I hope the fall auction is a rousing success for REA.

Bill

Old 09-13-2013, 06:34 PM
Bill Gregory

Something was added to REA's Fall 2013 auction preview that Brooklyn Dodger fans might be very interested in.

Has anybody else seen this yet? Wow.

Old 09-13-2013, 08:13 PM
Bi11..R0berts

That is incredible Bill. Here's an interior photo from the Hall of Fame, I wonder if he has this level of detail in the model. For clarity, this is a photo I took of a print that is at the hall.

Also, I received an email from REA this week. Catalogues ship on roughly the 27th.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ebetts 1.jpg (73.8 KB, 221 views)
Successful transactions with: Chesboro41, jimivintage, Bocabirdman, marcdelpercio, Jollyelm, Smanzari, asoriano, pclpads, joem36, nolemmings, t206blogcom, Northviewcats, Xplainer, Kickstand19, GrayGhost, btcarfango, Brian Van Horn, USMC09, G36, scotgreb, tere1071, kurri17, wrm, David James, tjenkins, SteveWhite, OhioCard Collector, sysks22, ejstel. Marty

Last edited by brob28; 09-13-2013 at 08:16 PM. Reason: more info
Old 09-13-2013, 09:29 PM
Bill Gregory

I'll be very interested to see more pictures of the model when the auction goes live, Bill. Can't wait to see it.

The catalogs are going out a little later than I anticipated. The auction starts on October 1st, doesn't it? Or did they push it back a bit?

Old 09-13-2013, 10:16 PM
John
J0hn McD@niel

Ahhh crap how the hell am I going to explain to my wife the need for this thing...

WOW!

http://www.majorleaguemodelsbystevew...-league-models
Old 09-13-2013, 10:35 PM
qualitycards

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonkaticket View Post
Ahhh crap how the hell am I going to explain to my wife the need for this thing...

WOW!

http://www.majorleaguemodelsbystevew...-league-models
You can hide it at my place if you like, you know the way
Old 09-13-2013, 10:43 PM
John
J0hn McD@niel

Jay, if you're smart you get her convinced I don't need any of the stuff and you'll end with the whole collection at your place.
Old 09-14-2013, 08:33 AM
qualitycards

John, Bring her along on your next road trip over here (its been 3 weeks) and I'll see what I can do.
I have no say w/ my wife, maybe I'll have better luck w/ yours.
Old 09-14-2013, 09:49 AM
Scott S

Default mine arrived

unfortunately its the Spring 2013 catalog....

weird
Old 09-14-2013, 10:03 AM
Bill Gregory

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaramelMan View Post
unfortunately its the Spring 2013 catalog....

weird
That's weird. When did you request it, Scott?

They may end up sending you both, but I'd call them to make sure you get one for the fall auction.

908-226-9900

Please let us know what they say.

Bill

Old 09-28-2013, 05:09 AM
Bill Gregory

Wee, bidding has started. L'aventure commence.

Wish me luck, ladies and gentlemen. And good luck to all our forum members!

Last edited by the 'stache; 09-28-2013 at 05:12 AM.
Old 09-28-2013, 09:52 AM
Aa.ron Pa.tton
Banned

No offense, Bill -- but, why bump this?

Don't we already have an official REA 'bidding has opened' thread?

You seem like a good guy -- but, me thinks you might need to step away from the keyboard/N54 every once in awhile.

My 2-cents.

Good luck in the auction.
Aaron