NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 11-21-2007, 06:47 AM
Administrator

Default Kevin Saucier - Adding Value

Posted By: GoSoxBoSox

Leon and N54 members,

I do apologize to you all for having this all take place on your forum. Thanks for being tolerant and hosting this event.

The reason I don't post here very often is because I know that just seeing "GoSoxBoSox" in a post would someday cause Jim to start on LTS. I wanted to spare all of you of the mess but it happened one too many times anyway.

The funny part is that my collection actually fits into the same era as most of the collectors here. Unlike Jim's.

Sorry gang,

Tom

Old 11-21-2007, 06:49 AM
Administrator

Posted By: JimCrandell

Yikes Al,

Did I mention those three letters in a row again--only because the three letter word people who never post are coming over and following instructions. If you call off the wolves and they stop attacking then why would I mention them.

Obviously I know I am not rejoining the three letter word--it was said a couple of times to Al by me to see where his loyalties were. But your buddy Papa wiill jump all over this--whoops he already did.

Yes I did use words like "funny" and "secret society". Boring was just a comment I have heard from a bunch of the three letter people. You and Tom are overly sensitive.

To repeat what I said last night as I commitment to you--I will stop mentioning the three letter word in any context. But if certain of your guys are going to attack me I think it is fair to identify them as part of the three letter word attack army.

Wow--this has been fun--lets do another 300 posts.

Old 11-21-2007, 06:50 AM
Administrator

Yeah--right Tom. I have an extensive pre-war collection--good try.

Old 11-21-2007, 06:50 AM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

Jim- you've probably posted a hundred times on this thread. Aren't you worn out by now?

Old 11-21-2007, 06:51 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Keith Conforti

I didn't know it was against the rules to mention your esteemed organization. I thought I agreed not to accept any threads your guys kept sending me. If you want to be so secretive that noone can even mention the letters lts in sequence fine--in fact I told Al that if that was the deal I made I would live up to it.. I turned out it wasn't but nonetheless I told him that based on our friendship and what he has done for me if it bothered him that much to poke fun at LTS then I would stop.

Even though I know you trashed me in a thread on lts your comments have been fair and I hold no grudge.

Where to begin here Jim... first off, you don't know anything about what I may or may not have posted on another board... stop blowing smoke.

Next.. every time you mention LTS you are snidely, jealously poking fun at it, so by your own definition of post content you ARE breaking the agreement you made with Al because you constantly poke fun at it and try to shine a negative light on it... just play it safe and don't write about it because obviously you can't help yourself when it comes to taking jabs.

I really think its rich that you asked back in after all this! Tell us, why do you want to come back when you only have negative feelings and comments about LTS?

Old 11-21-2007, 06:56 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Frank Evanov

"I also don't get why Jim, who has referred to the other board as "boring" and "funny" and a "secret society," along with several other negatives over the last few days, would have privately asked me - yesterday - if I could help to reinstate his membership there."?

Wow, after all his negative comments on LTS, why would he want to go back there??

Frank

Old 11-21-2007, 06:57 AM
Administrator

Extensive pre-war collection? Hah. I'm smiling again. Glad you taught me how ysterday.

Old 11-21-2007, 06:57 AM
Administrator

Posted By: pas

Barry, I would not bet against Jim's endurance.

Old 11-21-2007, 07:00 AM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

If anything, Jim is tenacious.

Old 11-21-2007, 07:01 AM
Administrator

Posted By: JohnG

Priceless.

Old 11-21-2007, 07:03 AM
Administrator

Jim,

Can or did Kevin fix the crack in your 1968 3D Clemente in PSA 9. Just wondering because it is obviously in the wrong holder.

Old 11-21-2007, 07:07 AM
Administrator

Barry,

No--I still have a lot of energy--trouble is there are more of them all the time.

Tom,

Over 1000 cards in psa 8 is not extensive in your mind?

Frank,

Its an impossibility--I was testing Al--he knows that.

Keith,

No--feel pretty certain that one of the threads you guys sent to me had a blast from you--I will check at some point and apologize if I am wrong. Just said nI told Al that although it was not in agreement I would not mention those three magic letters again. Lets see-if I can produce a document where you are trashing me on the three letter word will you give $100 to a charity of my choice?

Old 11-21-2007, 07:09 AM
Administrator

Kevin,

Tom is asking you if you alter cards for potential clients--he is such a classy guy.

I will let you respond to that

Old 11-21-2007, 07:19 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Al Simeone

Tom,
Not really knowing you or many of these other people you just made a statement that Kevin "fixed" a card for a client. In all due respect you should back that up with some real facts because a statement like that can ruin a persons reputation. And wouldnt that be exactly why a person would want to send a card to him ,to see a problem like that? I really think you need to clarify your statement, if not you are going to look like a fool. (IMO)

Old 11-21-2007, 07:27 AM
Administrator

Read what I asked. I asked if Kevin fixed the crack. I did not say he fixed it.

Old 11-21-2007, 07:34 AM
Administrator

As usual the point I was making is being deflected.

That is, the card shouldn't be in a PSA 9 holder. Jim's goal is to get cards in the right holder so I think he should start with his own collection by getting the Clemente re-numbered appropriately. That's all.

Old 11-21-2007, 07:37 AM
Administrator

Sorry Tom,
Thats not how Im reading it." You asked Can or did Kevin fix the crack " Im not trying to "deflect" anything from you but you made a statement and unless you back that up with a fact you maybe opening yourself up to a large problem.

Old 11-21-2007, 07:38 AM
Administrator

Jim,

I wouldn't want to give you the satisfaction of posting private board content on a public forum... but, post your favorite charity and I will happily send off a $100 donation.

Old 11-21-2007, 07:38 AM
Administrator

I assume PSA would buy back a 9 3-D Clemente with a crack in it.

Old 11-21-2007, 07:41 AM
Administrator

Sorry Al. You're just reading it wrong than. Can't be any more clear than that.

Old 11-21-2007, 07:41 AM
Administrator

Peter,

I don't think 3D cards like K-Kards are covered under the guarantee.

Old 11-21-2007, 07:46 AM
Administrator

Can a 3D crack whilst in a slab?

Old 11-21-2007, 07:47 AM
Administrator

Tom,
Not a problem with me but its statements like that (Im sure others are reading it like I did) on a public forum that can tend to get one in a lawsuit. You might want to be a little more careful with how you worded your statement. Just for the record it isnt that clear as you put it.

Old 11-21-2007, 07:49 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Joann

Al S said:

"Tom,

Not really knowing you or many of these other people you just made a statement that Kevin "fixed" a card for a client. In all due respect you should back that up with some real facts because a statement like that can ruin a persons reputation."

Al,

You ask a legitimate question, and very neutrally posed. I had missed this post the first time through.

Tom P,

I don't know you from Adam, really, so I definitely have no pre-conceived idea of you nor any reason to be aggressive or not aggressive. But I have to say that when I re-read your post (I was screaming through the thread the first time) it is hard not to take it as a suggestion that Kevin altered a card at Jim's request.

It may not be what you meant, but it's a fair reading the way it was written.

J

Old 11-21-2007, 07:50 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Brian

<<Can a 3D crack whilst in a slab? >>

I have read that it isn't uncommon with Kellogg's. The topic used to be front & center on CU. Zardoz, you still with us on this train wreck?

Old 11-21-2007, 07:53 AM
Administrator

Jim,

I guess you consider all of your pre-war cards to be what I meant when I said "the era most collectors are into here". But most collectors here collect pre-1920. Play Balls and Goudey's are new stuff to most hard core members on N54. That's what makes N54 so unique.

That said, I don't consider your collecting interests to be all that relevant to the majority of people here. My collecting interests fit right in.

Old 11-21-2007, 07:56 AM
Administrator

Keith,

I was not going to do that. I would send you a personal e-mail.

When I sent you an e-mail on it I believe you apologized and said it was out of character and the only time you did it.

Old 11-21-2007, 07:56 AM
Administrator

Al and Joann,

Fair enough. If it wasn't clear at first hopefully it's clear now. If not, people know where to find me. I'm really not scared. Sorry.

Tom

Old 11-21-2007, 07:57 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Mark

"-only because the three letter word people who never post are coming over and following instructions. If you call off the wolves and they stop attacking then why would I mention them."

Jim, you and I have had this discussion before. You really have to stop believing everything that people tell you in emails and PMs. Some of it may be true, but a great deal of it is just folks having fun with you because they know you'll buy whatever they tell you as gospel. I don't even remember what it was about, but we were talking about some thread that had been "leaked" to you in a wholly inaccurate light. Regardless of what your agenda is and how you feel it is justified, don't you understand that there are some people out there that know they can jerk you around like a puppet by whispering in your ear? They've got you running seven ways to Sunday. Don't you ever look down and ask yourself how the heck did I get here? Why don't you just start accepting as fact only those things you have FIRST HAND KNOWLEDGE OF and stop relying on the sometimes vicious rumors perpetrated by others?

I think if you could actually do that, a lot of train-wreck watchers will be very disappointed.

Just a thought.

Old 11-21-2007, 07:57 AM
Administrator

Joann,
Thankyou . Tom that is what I was talking about. Other people see the same thing that I was trying to point out to you . Like I said I dont know you and I only know of Kevins reputation in dealing with helping others detect "problem cards" . But again unless you have some real proof that that card was "worked on" I would suggest that you back it up with fact. Im all ears and Im sure others are also.

Old 11-21-2007, 07:58 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Paul

Front row, center for this catastrophe of biblical proportions. Great entertainment and the ticket was free!

Re: K-type cards. Yep, they can crack, albeit rarely, in the slab. I've had it happen twice out of the "few" that have gone through my hands over the years.

Old 11-21-2007, 07:58 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Mike

Are there any CU threads linking up to this one yet?

Just wondering, because I think we need a few more people over here, plus it sure is nice to be able to flip from message board to message board so quickly! Although, lately the two boards look and sound so identical ... it's hard to remember which one I'm on.

Jim, I'm glad to see you're still "Winning Friends and Influencing People." Keep up the good work!

By the way, all of the cards I ever sold you were trimmed. Also, now that you've met Kevin and seen firsthand how short he is ... don't you suspect that he may have been trimmed too?

I'd love to stay and play, as I haven't had a 'Lillo fix' in quite a while ... but I need to get some work done today.

You guys play nice, and remember it's almost Thanksgiving ... so be gentle on The Turkey!

Mike

Old 11-21-2007, 07:59 AM
Administrator

Peter,

3D's crack in slabs all of the time. That's why many registry people collecting them have turn away. They can be a very poor investment because of that issue.

They really have to be stored in the right conditions regardless of being slabbed. And even than there is still risk.

Old 11-21-2007, 08:01 AM
Administrator

Tom,

Disagree--

I have 300 or so T206s and M116s--lots of goudeys, some old judges, allen & ginters, cracker jacks, ramlys, american caramel. Stated focus is pre WW2 baseball.

I thought you collected hockey cards which are not a focus of this board.

Old 11-21-2007, 08:03 AM
Administrator

Keith,

I was not going to do that. I would send you a personal e-mail.

When I sent you an e-mail on it I believe you apologized and said it was out of character and the only time you did it.

Jim, that's old news... no need to go back there as it's in the past and forgotten... nonetheless, post your favorite charity and I will make a donation... 'tis the season you know!

Administrator

Posted By: Dave F

Jim-

At this point, please stop being the baffoon here. This has gone way overboard and it would be best just to put a stop to the bickering your doing with 20 different people at once.

Administrator

Finished that HOF rookie set 2 years ago and came back to baseball full steam since than. Hockey was just a short change from the baseball I have collected my entire life.

Old 11-21-2007, 08:13 AM
Administrator

Keith,

That is very generous of you.

Now I will be equally generous--I will make a $100 gift to the operating expenses of LTS or if the president(head moderator) of LTS directs me to do so make a $100 donation to the charity of his choice. To fit into my plans I will send the check out during the holidays.

Jim

Old 11-21-2007, 09:41 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Bottom of the Ninth

I can't believe I am thinking this but it might be time for another great Peter C thread. How about if you had a pet which vintage player would you name him after and why? On the other hand another 300 posts of hair pulling and eye gouging would also be cool.

Greg

Old 11-21-2007, 10:04 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Steve

Yikes! Thank God for this thread! It is rainy where i am and I have no work today. This has been a very entertaining thread.

In my lame attempt on keeping on topic? I too will donate 100.00 to a charity.

Steve

Old 11-21-2007, 11:30 AM
Administrator

Posted By: dan mckee

This is why grading is a joke. "You can't be serious. PSA and SGC will disagree if a card is altered. Heck, I have had a grading company disagree with itself. Send it in once its altered--send it in again its an 8."

Old 11-21-2007, 11:43 AM
Administrator

Posted By: cmoking

of course if there were no PSA or SGC, every trimmed card would be Near Mint, just like the good old days, right Dan?

Old 11-21-2007, 11:51 AM
Administrator

Actually the good old days didn't have "trimmed" cards as the value was so low that thieves had no reason to trim. So I think you are thinking of the late 1980s to early 1990s which were not the good old days. 1960s and 70s, that was the good old days!

Old 11-21-2007, 11:52 AM
Administrator

Posted By: cmoking

when did Lionel Carter get his trimmed T and E cards? I thought he got them in the 40s and 50s.

Old 11-21-2007, 11:52 AM
Administrator

Also, the collectors knew what they were collecting unlike many newbe's today, we didn't need some high school kid to tell us what card we have and what condition it is in.

Old 11-21-2007, 11:58 AM
Administrator

Posted By: peter chao

Greg,

How about this for a thread, if you were going to buy a dog, which pre-war player would it resemble?

Actually, I'm pretty impressed with this thread, I don't remember us staying on point for this many posts.

Peter C.

Old 11-21-2007, 12:01 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Kevin Saucier

For those who care, the website is live (except the gallery).

"Also, now that you've met Kevin and seen firsthand how short he is ... don't you suspect that he may have been trimmed too?"

- not cool. I think of myself as micro-trimmed and maybe a little altered. I'm mentally exhausted, I think I need to soak.

Kevin

Old 11-21-2007, 12:01 PM
Administrator

Lionel's cards were trimmed back then for reasons other than deceipt. They were trimmed to fit into something or for a different appearance. Any idiot can see they are trimmed. Can you tell they are trimmed?

also they were worth the same value trimmed or not back then. You collected a card to have it or to complete a set. Not to resell it a few hours later for double the money. Yes, I miss the good old days. I can't collect any of the E sets now as they are too expensive, and to think how many dad sold so that we could complete our Topps and Bowman sets! Ouch!

Old 11-21-2007, 12:33 PM
Administrator

Well--the website is up.

Interesting commwents by Rob Lifson

"the fact is card alteration is (an) epidemic"
"the problem is that there is not ten Kevin Saucier's out there"

www.alteredcards.com
Good luck Kevin and speaking for the hobby a heartfelt thanks!

Jim

Old 11-21-2007, 12:36 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dave F

Jim, instead of "speaking for the hobby" please just speak for yourself. You've done enough for the "hobby".