NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Watercooler Talk- ALL sports talk

Old 07-11-2015, 10:37 AM
Steve

Default Hunter Pence: anticipating and executing

I can't stop watching this play that Hunter Pence made this week. He did everything right, most notably, he knew exactly what he was going to do once he caught the ball...didn't even have to look to see if Granderson was tagging...he knew he would be.

Great sliding catch, knows the runner is going, gets to his feet immediately, and throws a bullet home.

Anyone teaching young kids to play the game can easily use this as an example of how to think ahead and to know what you are going to do in different situations.

Amazing.

http://m.mlb.com/video/v239253983
Old 07-11-2015, 06:50 PM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

We miss him here in Houston
Old 07-11-2015, 09:13 PM
Br1@n L1ndh0lm3

Default Missing Hunter

And in Philadelphia

Brian L
Familytoad
Ridgefield, WA

Hall of Fame collector.
Prewar Set collector.
Topps Era collector.
1971 Topps Football collector.
Old 07-12-2015, 05:51 AM
Fr@nk Burke++

Default Puig's Throw at Dodger Stadium 7/11

I don't have a link yet, but look for Puig's throw last night from the right-center field wall. No relay, no bounces & no replay challenge. Just a strike to second base to throw out Aramis Ramirez. The glove at second didn't have to move and Ramirez was out by 6 inches. Puig turned at the wall and fired the cannon instantly.

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 07-12-2015, 08:22 AM
Steve

Default Puig's nice throw!

Here you go, Frank -- and MLB does a cool job of including all of the various broadcasts so you can hear the different announcers!

http://m.mlb.com/video/v254364383
Old 07-12-2015, 06:40 PM
I@n Cl@rke

Quote:
Originally Posted by brass_rat View Post
I can't stop watching this play that Hunter Pence made this week. He did everything right, most notably, he knew exactly what he was going to do once he caught the ball...didn't even have to look to see if Granderson was tagging...he knew he would be.

Great sliding catch, knows the runner is going, gets to his feet immediately, and throws a bullet home.

Anyone teaching young kids to play the game can easily use this as an example of how to think ahead and to know what you are going to do in different situations.

Amazing.

http://m.mlb.com/video/v239253983
Love that you posted this. We love Pence in SF and he is such an amazing fit for the city. A little quirky but firey and focused... and awkward in everything he does, but also good at everything he does, and every aspect of the game.

This play is pretty emblematic of what the Giants have done so well over the past 5 years, and even more so during the postseason runs. I think great (and sound) fielding is still very underrated, especially when quantified by today's metrics. I personally think defensive WAR is way off when gauging value of very good fielding players.
Old 07-12-2015, 08:59 PM
Jim H

I enjoy looking for Pence signs in the crowd. My favorite sign...Superman wears Hunter Pence pajama's.
Old 07-12-2015, 09:11 PM
Steve

It's easy to see why SF loves Pence (and other towns miss him!)...I don't know much about "advanced stats" but I can imagine that his enthusiasm really helps any team on top of all that. ..

Side note, I'm sitting here watching MLB Network's Plays of the Week review show (makes me miss TWIB), and Pence's play was featured as the number one play off the week...

Last edited by brass_rat; 07-12-2015 at 09:12 PM.
Old 07-12-2015, 09:12 PM
Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimtigers65 View Post
I enjoy looking for Pence signs in the crowd. My favorite sign...Superman wears Hunter Pence pajama's.
Awesome.
Old 07-14-2015, 02:05 AM
Louie Michaud

I was lucky enough to go to that game with Pence's play. I can't really do justice how much I lost it when Susac tagged the runner out from that ridiculous throw. Definitely the best play I've seen in person. We were up in the arcade, the seats on the brick wall of right field. When Pence got back to his position we were all applauding crazily, and he applauded us back. It was beyond epic
Old 07-16-2015, 11:55 PM

Default Pence signs

Here's another great sign I've seen for Hunter Pence.

"Sharks dedicate one week toward Hunter Pence"

Photobucket - http://s26.photobucket.com/user/Cardmark/library/