NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-24-2005, 09:03 AM
Administrator

Default Ebay Auctions Ending on Easter Sunday

Posted By: Josh K.

Ive relisted one of my Ty Cobb bat on poses on ebay and the auction ends this Sunday. Its listed w/o a reserve this time and ends on Sunday. It just dawned on me that its Easter weekend and Im curious if anyone has any experience or guess as to whether this may hurt my sale price (people out town etc.). I'd rather not delist it and relist a third time, but if its going to have a real negative impact, I may have to consider it. Any thoughts?

Old 03-24-2005, 09:05 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Judge Dred

Josh,

Don't relist it because they say that there's a bargain on ebay somewhere -

I now know where to find that bargain this Easter Sunday!~

Old 03-24-2005, 09:06 AM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

It certainly can't help. People will be with their families and lose track. But enough people will see it and not everyone observes Easter. My guess is you won't know the difference.

Old 03-24-2005, 09:10 AM
Administrator

Posted By: rob

dont worry Josh, there are plenty of us Jews out there to bid on this card...in fact I am going right now to bid on it, and will check back Sunday when everyone else is hunting for eggs

Old 03-24-2005, 09:15 AM
Administrator

Posted By: dennis

i used to think day and time mattered but with all the snipe services,i think you will still get those last min. bids.also,it may help to get the bid higher as people without snipe service just may bid b4 they go do whatever easter thing they do.

Old 03-24-2005, 10:01 AM
Administrator

Rob,

Is your ebay id gundertal? If so, thanks for bidding. Now, if I could only get the rest of you to bid.

Old 03-24-2005, 01:14 PM
Administrator

Fred,

It may very well end up being a bargain, but you're going to have to bid to get it (early and often please). ; )

Old 03-24-2005, 01:52 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Judge Dred

You could have "innocently" put a link to the item so everyone could see the closing date and time - it's still not too late, I wouldn't consider it a plug for your Cobb, I'd look at it as an update to the thread...

Old 03-24-2005, 06:31 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Julie

some of us Jews are really athiests, but unfortunately, some of us athiests are really broke

Old 03-24-2005, 11:51 PM
Administrator

Posted By: pete

here's your ebay item #5178307164, there's a green portrait (5176426703) and a triple fold (5176409940) that end even later than yours on easter sunday

Old 03-25-2005, 12:03 AM
Administrator

Posted By: davidcycleback

Josh, I didn't know Easter was this Sunday until you brought it up. ... I think the vast majority of eBayers are well aware of the items the plan on bidding on days before the auction ends.

To help remedy your fears, I am all for you posting a link to your auction so it get's free pre-Easter publicity.

Old 03-25-2005, 05:47 AM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

but maybe my wife and daughter won't be. I am Jewish (not very devout) and my wife and daughter are devout Church of Christ. I don't think it will matter too much except of few folks could be out of town or something....regards

Old 03-25-2005, 05:50 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Scott Forrest

This shouldn't be any big deal.

Good luck - you should do well.

Old 03-25-2005, 07:16 AM
Administrator

Posted By: agnosticdave

...no, there are still a dozen or so of us WASPs ..that haven't been squeezed out..
.... yet

Old 03-25-2005, 07:41 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Scott Forrest

But after talking with a Jewish collecting friend of mine, we had a hard time coming up with any WASPs other than me...not that it matters. But I do get to dye eggs Sunday.

Old 03-25-2005, 08:55 AM
Administrator

I appreciate the responses and assurances. Im going to let the auction run its course and let the chips fall where they may. Im going to hold off posting a link to the listing as there is a link already posted in the b/s/t thread if anyone is interested (plus pete posted the item number above).

If I had known all of us vintage collectors were not only lawyers, but Jewish as well, then I would never have had any worries in the first place.

Old 03-25-2005, 09:07 AM
Administrator

Posted By: agnosticdave

Old 03-25-2005, 09:37 AM
Administrator

Posted By: jay behrens

Don't worry, us Xoroastrians will be checking eBay that day.

Jay

I've just reached Upper Lower Class. I am now officially a babe magnet for poor chicks.

Old 03-25-2005, 09:49 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Bob Marquette

We Lutherans will have the sniper service ready to go while we spend time Sunday with the young 'uns. I agree with the previous poster that you may could out better Josh because everyone will be using snipe bids on the card. Funny how things always seem to work out, except for me who, like Adam, always seems to have that black cloud hanging over my head when it comes to being outbid or selling stuff that stalls on ebay while similar items in less condition go for more. What's that guy's name from Lil' Abner with the perpetual black cloud over his head? Joe Blypfstk or something like that? Maybe some of you older posters know who I am talking about. You younger ones are probably going "Lil' who???"

Old 03-25-2005, 11:26 AM
Administrator

Posted By: davidcycleback

I don't know about the religous make up, but have always noticed a lot of lawyers. I remember years ago when a judge bough an autograph from me. I was paraoid at first, but later realized that judges and lawyers collect just like everyone else.

Old 03-25-2005, 11:41 AM
Administrator

Bob, I hope you are right - lots of snipe bids would be nice. They didnt come through last weekend. I think part of that black cloud you speak of has been hanging over this card - on saturday, a psa 2 with a crease across the top went for 610 (Hal won it - although I dont know why he was bidding since Im pretty sure it was a common back) then mine (which ended Sunday) barely made it over 400 and didnt hit the reserve (a mere 470). Now you may say that the card ending saturday was a psa card and that they sell for a premium - true, but a few weeks ago another bat on gai 2 sold for over 700. Its also possible the card is not getting as much interest due to the paper loss on the back, but I would rather have a card with paper loss on the back but otherwise looked good on the front over a card with a crease and no paperloss any day.

Old 03-25-2005, 06:21 PM
Administrator

paperloss is ok on the front as long as its small and not anywhere important...like the face...and when i say small, im talking less than "pinky-nail" size.
pete-

Old 03-25-2005, 08:10 PM
Administrator

the paperloss on my card is on the back - none at all on the front.

Old 03-27-2005, 10:15 AM
Administrator

anyone bidding on the 3 cobbs that end tonight after 8pm ? the bat on, triple fold, or green.
pete-

Old 03-27-2005, 10:16 PM
Administrator

My Cobb bat on sold for 427 tonight - that was a little disappointing. Even worse - not one snipe bid was placed on the card. A PSA 2 sold last weekend for 610, so yes, I think ending the listing on Easter weekend was probably a mistake in retrospect. Interestingly, one prospective bidder told me he would have purchased the card for my BIN of 595 had he seen it and was planning on bidding toward the end of the auction. Never did. On the bright side, I only paid 361 for the card a few months ago, so I still came out with a small profit.