NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-06-2004, 12:45 PM
Administrator

Default How Vintage Collecting Began For Me

Posted By: Lee Behrens

I was able to pickup a collectible yesterday that helped to jump start me into vintage collecting:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=11676&item=3263591314

I went to a show at the newly constructed Metrodome in the winter of 1982. Bill Mastro had a table at the show, he brought 2 briefcases of cards and that was all. He allowed me as a snooty nosed teeneger to view the cards in his 2 cases telling me the history of the cards and collectibles. I always remember that he had this beautiful piece of a NL president that had committed suicide while in office. I believe the piece I won is the same item. I did end up spending all my money with Mastro including a T202 which I still have and some T206's which I can not remember what players.

This is how my blood started boiling for vintage cards which were few and far between in MN. I guess I need to thank Bill Mastro to a point for steering me away from the new cards and spend my money in wiser and more a fullifying way.

Just wanted to share and happy to have a piece that will bring back memories for me me of how it all began.

Old 01-06-2004, 01:23 PM
Administrator

Posted By: jay behrens

This is how goofey my brother is, I come home in the Spring of 1982 with a set of t201 and grip of t205s and this doesn't inspire him to get into vintage cards, but a silly cigar label does :p

I was hooked on vintaged cards moment I saw them in the Beckett #2 Lee and I bought. Then when I got the book by Kieth Mitchell and Roger Erbe that gave more details about vintage cards, I was in for good.

The first vintage card I was bought was the set of t201s. The first show I ever attended was with my brother, but didn't buy any vintage cards. spent all my money on Pete Rose cards. I really wish I had bought the Harry Stovey OJ, but in 1981, $5 seemed outrageous for a non-HOFer from that set. There was alsoa nice t205 Matty there for $15.

Damn that Pete Rose

Jay

Old 01-06-2004, 04:36 PM
Administrator

Posted By: warshawlaw

I first got the vintage bug from the neighbors. Their dad was a college professor and he brought home old cards from his students for them to play with. I saw a lot of 1954 Topps cards and was instantly smitten. My uncle then bought me that Great American Flipping and whatever the hell else it was called book and I spent hours studying the beautiful Topps and Bowman cards in it. I then got my 1952 Walt Dropo card and I was off to the races.

Old 01-07-2004, 03:43 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Aaron M.

I first began collecting what I considered to be vintage in 1983 and 1984, very shortly after I began collecting baseball cards in general.

I think for purely aesthetic and historical reasons the players and the look of vintage cards greatly appealed to me and as it turned out, I would never buy contemporary cards at any other point in my life.

I'm still not quite sure what exact the triggering point was, but I went from putting together a 1983 Topps set to looking exclusively at "older" cards of some of my favorite players.

Bear in mind I was 11 and 12 years old at the time, but I started buying mostly 1960's and early 1970's cards of Johnny Bench, Nolan Ryan, Hank Aaron, Willie Mays, Mickey Mantle and many others.

I even bought a ton of basketball and football cards, including what turned out to be Walter Payton, Joe Nameth and Lew Alcindor rookie cards.

I took another step back and bought a 1957 Duke Snider and 1963 Stan Musial. And I still remember desperately wanting the 1953 Topps Satchell Paige and not being able to afford it.

By then, however, I had already become interested in the memorabilia side of the hobby. I don't know how many 12 year olds bought Hartland Warren Spahn statues and 1960's HOF Rogers Hornsby busts, but for whatever reason, I did.

By the time I turned 13 in 1985, however, I gave into social pressures and stopped collecting altogether. The cards and memorabilia went into shoeboxes in my closet and that was that.

That, of course, brings us to Bill Mastro. In mid-2001, I was flipping around the channels and found a show on A&E called "The Incurable Collector." I've always been interested in collectors and their collections of virtually every sort so I started watching. The end of the show, however, blew my mind.

It was a profile on Bill Mastro and his auction site, but most specifically it featured Bill's personal collection and gave an almost shelf-by-shelf airing of his incredible memorabilia display room.

This was exactly what I fantasized of having as a 12 year old but, of course, didn't have the financial ability to afford any of it.

I TiVo'd the piece (and have since watched it countless times) and immediately went searching on the Internet.

Even if it was just an extremely small-scale (both in size and value) version of his collection, now that I could better afford it, I was going to put a memorabilia display in my home office/den.

I first participated in his August 2001 auction, and that led to my discovering Lelands, Hunt, Grey Flannel, and of course, E-Bay.

I made two decision early on: First I selected 1969 as the latest I would collect items from. (I picked the year because that was about when flannel jerseys became knit, old one-of-a-kind stadiums became cookie cutter monstrosities, and expansion and relocation led to the end of the classic pennant race.) I also decided to center my collection's individual display shelves based on a collection of 1960's Aurora Sports models I began collecting and having professionally built-up and painted.

Like Mastro's display, I always wanted my display to be a wide variety of memorabilia items from the turn of the century through the 1960's (with heavy emphasis on pre-WWII items), so I have programs, baseballs, pins, game-worn caps and jerseys, you name it. Integrated into the display are various sports cards including a 1934 Goudey Gehrig (which led me to this site) and my latest prized purchase: a 1948 Bowman George Mikan grey variation.

With my display pretty much complete and space always at a premium, I don't have much chance at collection expansion until we buy a bigger house. But for now, my vintage collection gives me immense pleasure and for good or bad, I have Bill Mastro to than for it (or as my wife says, to blame for it).

Old 01-07-2004, 08:22 PM
Administrator

Aaron, You can always do like the HOF and rotate your inventory periodically. Just buy some of those plastic tote boxes and throw them in your garage when they are not on display.

Great story

Old 01-08-2004, 05:14 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Julie Vognar

I've been sitting here thinking that I don't know what triggered the jump back to dead ball era cards and memorablilia, and then to 19th century stuff. But that isn't quite true.

I started collecting in 1979, brought into proximity with the cards by my 9-year-old son, who needed someone to accompany him to Dennis King's shop with his $5 weekly allowance. The '50s cards came from seeing a beautiful '55 Robinson, and thinking "Wow--that's Jackie Robinson--even I know his face." I spent several years putting together the '53 Bowman set (no Jackie!)--in fact, I wish I still had it! Some of the greatest basball photograhy ever.
My falling in love with the T202 set was because of the black and white photography, juxtaposed with the beautiful color lithography. Besides, Mark Macrae, whom I first saw buying the entire set (in vg-ex condition)told me about the other Blacksox cards besides Jow Jackson (whom I had known from Chicago--again!-- history). I won the McMullen in one of his auctions. Mastro, Lipset and Macrae would all tell me when they had a nice T202--sometimes Lipset would simply send me one in the mail, and tell me to pay for it if I liked it, and otherwise send it back.

I really had to think about 19th century stuff--I guess it was Dummy Hoy. It was my only Old Judge for several years (except that I gave two away--one to Hoy's great grandnephew, and one to a deaf friend in Ohio). I used to look at it all the time and think the sepia photograph represented the dawn of photography and baseball at the same time. I would think of Hoy's long life, ending in the modern era, and would be so glad that I was sort of "in on" the beginning of it all. There's so much innocence in the Old Judge Hoy cards...(It wasn't really either the dawn of photography OR the dawn of baseball, as I found out later.)

And then when I started putting my collection back together after I had to sell almost all of it in '88, I didn't want to get (with rare exceptions) the cards I had had before--the 19th century seemed like a good place to go.

On that mundane note, I'll quit.

Old 01-08-2004, 12:36 PM
Administrator

Posted By: petecld

This goes with Julie's post:

Old 01-08-2004, 05:38 PM
Administrator

Pete, I think you are pulling a Leon and just want to show off your nice cards.

Thanks for the add on Pete, I waas looking for Dorathy to come down the road with the Tin Man, the Scarecrow, and the Cowardly Lion,

Lee

Old 01-09-2004, 06:43 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Julie

I hereby resign from this Forum. You can all cheer.

Old 01-09-2004, 11:24 PM
Administrator

Posted By: jay behrens

Julie, why are you leaving? The only problem I see is your ability to read something personal into something that is not. I'm not sure why my brother's post would make you want to leave. He directed nothing towards you and even I had no clue that the Hoy was your card.

Julie, I've known you for a long time and you have this remarkable ability to see things that are not there. I think you might be too close Berkeley :-P All joking aside, stick around. Just try not ro read things into people's posts. Very few things written here have hidden meanings. we all just post what we are thinking, which is why things get heated once in awhile.

Jay

Old 01-10-2004, 01:25 AM
Administrator

Julie, This had ZERO intention of having any dirogatory comment on you or anyone else for that matter. I for one did not realize as my brother pointed out that it was your card. Leon in the past has receieved ribbing on this board for posting his cards and that was what i was referring too. I think that posting vintage images is great and enhances the content of the board. Like my brother said try not to read to deeply into what is always written, you are one of the best contributors on the board. hang around.

Lee

Old 01-10-2004, 04:21 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Aaron M.

That's an excellent idea and one I'm going to have to consider.

Up to this point, I've tried to keep my spending and the size of my collection under control by abiding by a philosophy of keeping about 99% of my collection on display and only a few (rather inconsequential) pieces in storage.

I do rotate in a sense, if I upgrade or replace an item in my display. But that's usually translated to me selling the supplanted item on E-Bay.

However, there are some items out there that I know I'd go after, even if I have absolutely no idea where I'd put it (hello Golden Jubilee Banquet baseball and box!).

Old 01-12-2004, 02:44 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Julie Vognar

on the "path" in the Dummy Hoy photo for a comment on my post. Sorry!

You can stop cheering now!