NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-21-2018, 09:58 AM

Default Submitting a high profile card to PSA

So let’s say you have a high profile card that you want to submit to PSA for grading/authentication but it may or may not have been trimmed (I’m honestly not sure...I’ve gotten different opinions). What is the proper way to submit it to PSA? If it isn’t trimmed they will assign it a grade but if it is then what? Would they slab it authentic? How do I declare my wishes to PSA? What would you guys do? Kind of a novice here so any help is appreciated
Old 06-21-2018, 10:03 AM
Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bkrum View Post
So let’s say you have a high profile card that you want to submit to PSA for grading/authentication but it may or may not have been trimmed (I’m honestly not sure...I’ve gotten different opinions). What is the proper way to submit it to PSA? If it isn’t trimmed they will assign it a grade but if it is then what? Would they slab it authentic? How do I declare my wishes to PSA? What would you guys do? Kind of a novice here so any help is appreciated
Usually it does not get Slabbed and you get a Sticker Flip that says Possibly Trimmed or something along those lines.

I read somewhere if you mark on the form Slab Authentic if it is not gradable and they will Slab it "Authentic" with no grade.
Old 06-21-2018, 11:07 AM
_G@ґy*€hℯη_

For PSA, I've gotten plenty of cards slabbed Authentic, which were likely trimmed. For PSA, slabbing trimmed cards is up to the grader. Therefore, it can be hit or miss. I usually write a note on my submission asking them to slab any card with Authentic that does not receive a number grade, if possible. From my experience, PSA will typically encapsulate trimmed prewar cards, but postwar cards, they will not slab (unless they are originally hand cut). For example, I once tried to get them to slab an 1969 Topps Lew Alcindor card as Authentic, but they refused because they thought it was trimmed.

Last edited by glchen; 06-21-2018 at 11:08 AM.
Old 06-21-2018, 11:18 AM

That is my concern....I don’t want to pay significant grading fees and have it come back trimmed and not encapsulated
Old 06-21-2018, 11:26 AM
J0hn Raff3rty

One option would be for you to submit under the cheaper declared value service level of a trimmed card. If the card gets a number grade, PSA may call you and upgrade the service level. Or they may not. But yes, you can write "SLAB IF AUTHENTIC" on your form and they will.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 06-21-2018, 03:02 PM
Orlando Rodriguez

Just do what anyone with an expensive trimmed card would do: send it to BVG.
Old 06-21-2018, 03:28 PM
Ryan

Quote:
Originally Posted by orly57 View Post
Dang, is this a thing?
Old 06-21-2018, 03:35 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Pure ignorance.
Old 06-21-2018, 03:40 PM
Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bkrum View Post
That is my concern....I don’t want to pay significant grading fees and have it come back trimmed and not encapsulated
I heard they charge if they slab it "Authentic"

but there is no charge if they Do Not Slab it.
Old 06-21-2018, 05:11 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

Incorrect; if they determine it is trimmed, they have graded the card and expected that the submitter does not want it slabbed. But they do charge you. They will not charge if it is determined to be factory miscut (i.e. not a rectangle) or MINSIZREQ (not trimmed, but not full size; incorrectly cut short by the factory).
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 06-21-2018, 05:18 PM
Orlando Rodriguez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
Pure ignorance.
I guess I’m the only one that gets suspicious when I see a high end card in a BVG holder.

Last edited by orly57; 06-21-2018 at 05:43 PM.
Old 06-21-2018, 05:42 PM

Only a sample size of one. However, I once purchased a 1951 Mays BVG and after crossover attempts came back trimmed by both PSA and SGC. Never again. But I am sure PSA and SGC also fail once in a blue moon.
Old 06-21-2018, 05:47 PM
Johnny MaZilli

Give to a big player to submit I’ve seen a lot of short cards in holders with number grades.
Old 06-21-2018, 06:02 PM

Default Beckett

Quote:
I guess I’m the only one that gets suspicious when I see a high end card in a BVG holder.
..I am extremely selective to the point of paranoia before submitting cards to any 3rd party grader , and was doubly so back in the day when I submitted to Beckett ; cards which I thought would be absolute locks for the top shelf highly- prized "NM 7" , if not (gasp) a half grade higher , would invariably be returned as 6's and 6.5's......they are very conservative at grading vintage cardboard ; I don't use them as much anymore. I've had untouched one-owner very-well-preserved like-new pack-fresh yada yada etc. cards returned ungraded with notes of "shaved" "pressed" and the like--- Beckett was tough.

Old 06-21-2018, 09:04 PM
Ju$tin D@v3n.por+

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeGarcia View Post
[IMG].I am extremely selective to the point of paranoia before submitting cards to any 3rd party grader , and was doubly so back in the day when I submitted to Beckett ; cards which I thought would be absolute locks for the top shelf highly- prized "NM 7" , if not (gasp) a half grade higher , would invariably be returned as 6's and 6.5's......they are very conservative at grading vintage cardboard ; I don't use them as much anymore. I've had untouched one-owner very-well-preserved like-new pack-fresh yada yada etc. cards returned ungraded with notes of "shaved" "pressed" and the like--- Beckett was tough.

Please don't mess with the assumptions, lol.

I am one who loves paying less for a better product and love those rumors based on sheet cuts not trims. Let the PSA folks pay the PWCC price for a lesser card.

Player collecting - Lance Parrish, Jim Davenport, John Norlander.

Successful B/S/T with - Highstep74, Northviewcats, pencil1974, T2069bk, tjenkins, wilkiebaby11, baez578, Bocabirdman, maddux31, Leon, Just-Collect, bigfish, quinnsryche...and a whole bunch more, I stopped keeping track, lol.
Old 06-21-2018, 09:14 PM

Never had a problem once with a trimmed BVG card. I've reviewed thousands of them and not one raised a suspicion.
Old 06-21-2018, 09:19 PM

Would you rather have a t206 PSA 8(oc) or a BVG 6??
Old 06-23-2018, 12:24 PM

Quote:
LOL! Talk about someone illuminating their ignorance about card grading.

Ask me about discounted BGS/BVG pricing for Net54 Members!
Old 06-27-2018, 06:12 AM

Default Bad experience with BVG

So, I am posting this so that others can learn from my mistake. I am not trying to say by posting this that BVG is a bad grading service. I am sure it is possible that similar types of issues are out there with cards in both PSA and SGC holders, but this is just meant to educate everyone and hopefully keep everyone on their toes to look closely at what you are buying even when it's in a holder.

With that disclaimer, here is my story. I purchased a 1967 Topps Seaver rookie in a BVG 7.5 holder on ebay in January of this year. I cracked it out and sent it in to PSA for a couple of reasons. First, I would rather have the card in a PSA holder because the value in the marketplace at the same grade level is higher. Second, I thought it had a very good chance of getting a higher grade than 7.5 because the corners looked razor sharp to me and it was very nicely centered. There were really no other issues that I could see holding it back from an 8, or even possibly an 8.5 or 9.

PSA rejected it as questionable authenticity. I was initially shocked, but then when I looked closer and compared it to other 1967 cards, it was obvious. The easiest way to tell is by looking at the back. The green and white colors are vivid and bright, while the real 1967's have a more muted / faded tone to the colors on the back. The card stock itself and the gloss / finish are actually very similar to a real 1967, but the colors on the back make it clear that it is counterfeit. I ended up sending it to SGC also, just to see how they would grade it, and they also rejected it as not authentic.

Now, this is all really on me because if I had looked closely I could have seen even from the pictures on ebay that it was different than other 1967's. Honestly, at the time, I had not handled any 1967's for a while, and therefore wasn't tuned in enough to spot it. However, I think most of us probably just assume that when the card is in the holder (PSA, SGC, or BVG), it is legit. And I think that 99.9% of the time that is true. I am sharing this just so that everyone remembers that stuff like this can happen.

I have posted pics below.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg seaver 1.JPG (60.1 KB, 192 views)
File Type: jpg seaver 2.JPG (63.7 KB, 193 views)
File Type: jpg seaver 3.JPG (55.8 KB, 191 views)
File Type: jpg seaver 4.JPG (65.1 KB, 192 views)
Old 06-27-2018, 06:15 AM
Robert Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmcclelland View Post
So, I am posting this so that others can learn from my mistake. I am not trying to say by posting this that BVG is a bad grading service. I am sure it is possible that similar types of issues are out there with cards in both PSA and SGC holders, but this is just meant to educate everyone and hopefully keep everyone on their toes to look closely at what you are buying even when it's in a holder.

With that disclaimer, here is my story. I purchased a 1967 Topps Seaver rookie in a BVG 7.5 holder on ebay in January of this year. I cracked it out and sent it in to PSA for a couple of reasons. First, I would rather have the card in a PSA holder because the value in the marketplace at the same grade level is higher. Second, I thought it had a very good chance of getting a higher grade than 7.5 because the corners looked razor sharp to me and it was very nicely centered. There were really no other issues that I could see holding it back from an 8, or even possibly an 8.5 or 9.

PSA rejected it as questionable authenticity. I was initially shocked, but then when I looked closer and compared it to other 1967 cards, it was obvious. The easiest way to tell is by looking at the back. The green and white colors are vivid and bright, while the real 1967's have a more muted / faded tone to the colors on the back. The card stock itself and the gloss / finish are actually very similar to a real 1967, but the colors on the back make it clear that it is counterfeit. I ended up sending it to SGC also, just to see how they would grade it, and they also rejected it as not authentic.

Now, this is all really on me because if I had looked closely I could have seen even from the pictures on ebay that it was different than other 1967's. Honestly, at the time, I had not handled any 1967's for a while, and therefore wasn't tuned in enough to spot it. However, I think most of us probably just assume that when the card is in the holder (PSA, SGC, or BVG), it is legit. And I think that 99.9% of the time that is true. I am sharing this just so that everyone remembers that stuff like this can happen.

WOW!! Just, wow!!! I understand mistakes happen and what not, but I would expect one of the big grading companies to be able to tell the difference between a real card and a fake card all the time, every time.
Old 06-27-2018, 07:07 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

All 3 TPGs have done it, fairly often (considering it should be 0). If it is truly fake they will take care of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyw8469 View Post
WOW!! Just, wow!!! I understand mistakes happen and what not, but I would expect one of the big grading companies to be able to tell the difference between a real card and a fake card all the time, every time.

Last edited by Leon; 06-27-2018 at 07:10 AM.
Old 06-27-2018, 10:27 AM
Scott Russell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
All 3 TPGs have done it, fairly often (considering it should be 0). If it is truly fake they will take care of it.
Even though he cracked it? I know I wouldn't take care of it if I were a TPG in this instance. One of those situations where there's no proof anything is what the member says what it is. I'm not questioning his honesty, but as a TPG there's no way I could just trust him.
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 06-27-2018, 10:30 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeGarcia View Post
I've had untouched one-owner very-well-preserved like-new pack-fresh yada yada etc. cards returned ungraded with notes of "shaved" "pressed" and the like--- Beckett was tough.

Tough? More like paranoid. I had a similar experience with BVG at the AC National a few years ago. I brought them a raw card that I'd gotten from a friend who'd had it for decades and got it from the original owner. BVG said it was soaked, pressed and laser cut, which I thought was insane. I mean, I appreciate a cautious approach but I've been handling these cards for decades and I know what a factory cut looks like. SGC looked it over and said nope, it's fine, and graded it.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 06-27-2018, 11:04 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarian Sports Cards View Post
Even though he cracked it? I know I wouldn't take care of it if I were a TPG in this instance. One of those situations where there's no proof anything is what the member says what it is. I'm not questioning his honesty, but as a TPG there's no way I could just trust him.
Sorry, of course if it is cracked out then all bets off, really, on the liability part (to me). Too many things can go wrong.
Old 06-27-2018, 12:04 PM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

Quote:

Oh, that's right: Bill Mastro isn't available, huh?

=

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente
Old 06-27-2018, 01:20 PM
Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmcclelland View Post

Wow, I hear about about Trimmed Cards getting Graded All the Time.

But I never thought they would Grade a Fake Card.