NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 10-17-2015, 10:11 PM
Byron

Default Is it possible to become a part time dealer in Vintage?

I love to collect vintage baseball and was wondering if it is possible to become a samll, part time dealer in baseball cards? I just want to earn a little extra money to then turn help grow my personal collection. Any thoughts, or ideas for making my hobby passion into a side job?
Also, what are some ways that you would recommend in obtaining cards for resell. Thrift stores, garage sells, ebay???
I'm just kicking the idea around in my head. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Byron
Old 10-18-2015, 08:20 AM
Patrick N.

Default Yes

Yes it is. Just bear in mind that it is very time consuming and temper your expectations. Also, consider the fees/shipping involved when reselling, this makes it more difficult to make profits. Lastly, you have to be real knowledgeable about condition and prices, etc. or you could end of losing $ on your venture.

All and all, for the time spent you'd probably make more $ considering the time involved flipping burgers on the side, but of course that's not as enjoyable

Last edited by mintacular; 10-18-2015 at 08:21 AM.
Old 10-18-2015, 08:25 AM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Location: https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/mysetregistry/set/348387

Quote:
Originally Posted by mintacular View Post
Yes it is. Just bear in mind that it is very time consuming and temper your expectations. Also, consider the fees/shipping involved when reselling, this makes it more difficult to make profits. Lastly, you have to be real knowledgeable about condition and prices, etc. or you could end of losing $ on your venture.

All and all, for the time spent you'd probably make more $ considering the time involved flipping burgers on the side, but of course that's not as enjoyable
right..funny how money is fought for every dollar from sellers when they say 'cant sell for x, cause paid x" basically they can hold off a deal for years until they make 5 dollars....they cant lose a dollar......though in the real world they are really losing money on opportunity cost and making no interest on the money they could of gotten....I like to pay what cards would go between the market price numbers low and high (depending on condition for grade) for which a card would go for in a month or so ...I really dont care what the seller paid for the card..its not like the seller would sell a card for 1 dollar if the seller got the card for free.....

...if about money flipping burgers would be FAAR better...but its more of a fun/hobby/keeping score matter

Last edited by 1952boyntoncollector; 10-18-2015 at 08:27 AM.
Old 10-18-2015, 09:23 AM
Larry More.y

Quote:
Originally Posted by batkidiii View Post
Any thoughts, or ideas for making my hobby passion into a side job?
Also, what are some ways that you would recommend in obtaining cards for resell. Thrift stores, garage sells, ebay???
Very important: Have a plan as to what you will buy and how you will resell it. Flipping singles?....do your research on the pricing and as previously mentioned, consider the fees. Buying lots/sets to break up?... have an efficient system to create listings/price/ship/etc.

I find buying lots (not sets, except for a select few) from ebay and occasionally a major auction house yield the most profit for me.
Old 10-18-2015, 10:37 AM
Byron

Thank you guys for the great advice! I will be starting very small, if I decide to jump in.
Old 10-18-2015, 05:15 PM
Jay T.

Not a dealer, but I would think if you specialize in one well sought after area that can help. In other words, find a niche. If you know T206s well, buy and sell those, if you know 1930s cards, buy and sell those, if you know early Topps cards, buy and sell those.
Old 10-18-2015, 06:03 PM

Yes but... you learn what sells well by buying and selling. I have been doing this for more than 10 years and am still learning what I can buy that will 1) sell at a substantial profit; and 2) Sell reasonably fast. There are quite a few things I look to buy, and am able to buy reasonably that I know will turn a nice profit. There are other things I'm not sure about, but I'm always willing to take the chance. My thoughts are, I may lose money on this, but it probably won't be much (I'm more likely to lose time than money)... but even the occasional losses are educational (one more thing I know to avoid in the future). I will not tell you what I look to buy; this is 10+ years of learning I did on my own. I'm not looking for any more competition. I suggest that you jump in; give it your best shot; and don't quit the first time you buy something that doesn't turn a profit.
Old 10-18-2015, 06:30 PM
M.att C H A R L T O N

I am a part time completely vintage dealer. I agree with most of what has been said. I think that "know your market" is the best advice. Are there any universities or colleges nearby? Bring stuff related to that. Same with local teams.
If eBay is your route: buy big lots for small prices and then break up for bigger prices. Simple. Not really but once you get the feel for it you rarely lose money.
Old 10-19-2015, 10:20 AM

It depends on your definition of "Part Time".

If your goal is merely to make an extra $100 a week, that could be done quite easily by just putting 3 or 4 auctions a day on Ebay.

If your goal is $1000 a week, or anything in between, not so easy.