NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > WaterCooler Talk- Off Topics

Old 07-11-2017, 04:28 AM
Jam.es Braci.liano

Default Question for EBay sellers

Say you list an item and a buyer pays but then you realize you made a mistake and the Buy It Now was too low. At what point do you say its my fault and take the loss? At what point is the risk of taking a possible negative feedback better than the monetary loss?
Old 07-11-2017, 05:10 AM
Scott Russell

If it's a price I listed I honor it, period.
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 07-11-2017, 06:11 AM
Jeff G@rf!nkel

I totally agree with Scott. Own your mistake and treat it as an important future lesson. It has nothing to do with the negative, it has to do with the way that you conduct yourself and your business.

Just my 2¢. I hope it wasn't too costly.

Jeff
Old 07-11-2017, 08:28 AM
Jam.es Braci.liano

I am the buyer. Seller listed card for $10, I paid, he cancelled the transaction and relisted for $30. He apologized but I think he should honor the transaction.

Last edited by Jim65; 07-11-2017 at 08:33 AM.
Old 07-11-2017, 08:40 AM
Ran-jodh Dh.ill0n

Neg his @ss then.
Old 07-11-2017, 08:54 AM
Robert Williams

I once sold a $1,000 card for $600. It was when Ebay was having glitches and no one could access the site on one evening in particular. Did I really want to ship a $1,000 card and take a huge loss? HELL NO.....Did I ship the card?? Of course I did....the winning bidder flipped it immediately for $1,100. I remember it to this day. It leaves a salty taste in your mouth, but Ebay, unfortunately, sets it up that way when they give the buyer all the power.
Old 07-11-2017, 09:20 AM
Jam.es Braci.liano

The card in question is a PSA 8 1968 OPC common so the $10 is not an unrealistic price. Worth a negative feedback? I still have not decided.
Old 07-11-2017, 10:06 AM
John Hanssen

This just happened to me yesterday. I bought a nice card on BIN payed right away and then I get a email saying card was listed in error and please cancel transaction. I know the seller has a good repayable business and I knew the price was low. So after a few emails the auction was cancelled because people do make mistakes and I'm not going to profit on his mistake. The good part is that I asked for a price on the card and he resold it to me for a fair price for both of us. Bottom line is I'm happy and did the right thing and so did he.
Old 07-11-2017, 10:23 AM
Andy S@ld@n@

If I am the seller. I own it the mistake since I priced it. No need to punish the buyer. So, the buyer got a "good deal". You ship the product and move on. We all learn from our seller mistakes.
Old 07-11-2017, 11:23 AM
Jam.es Braci.liano

Quote:
Originally Posted by nebboy View Post
This just happened to me yesterday. I bought a nice card on BIN payed right away and then I get a email saying card was listed in error and please cancel transaction. I know the seller has a good repayable business and I knew the price was low. So after a few emails the auction was cancelled because people do make mistakes and I'm not going to profit on his mistake. The good part is that I asked for a price on the card and he resold it to me for a fair price for both of us. Bottom line is I'm happy and did the right thing and so did he.
I contacted the seller and offered $20, I figured its a good compromise, he comes back with an offer of $25. Really have to milk an extra $5 out of me?
Old 07-11-2017, 11:41 AM
Jam.es Braci.liano

Does anyone know if there is a way to report this guy? He lied for the reason he cancelled the sale, he said the item was damaged. If I won did not pay I would get a NPB strike, there must be some penalty when the seller refuses to sell.
Old 07-11-2017, 01:15 PM
Robert Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim65 View Post
I contacted the seller and offered $20, I figured its a good compromise, he comes back with an offer of $25. Really have to milk an extra $5 out of me?
THAT is uncalled for...I would hit him with a NEG so fast it would make his head spin.....and buy the same card from someone else.
Old 07-11-2017, 01:39 PM
Peter Spaeth

If it's a very obvious mistake on the seller's part, I think it's ok not to honor the price, because it should be obvious to the buyer it's a mistake. I admit I did it once -- I was careless and I listed a $1200 gold bar or coin for $120, just wasn't paying attention to the number of zeros. Someone instantly bought it, but I cancelled it.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 07-11-2017 at 01:40 PM.
Old 07-14-2017, 04:47 PM
(DJ) Rich.ard.s

I think there are a couple factors to consider. 1) Was it an obvious pricing mistake like Peter said 2) What's the dollar amount involved? $5 or $10 not really a big deal, just sell the card and move on. Several hundred dollars, that's a different story. 3) How long was the card listed? If it was bought 5 minutes after being listied, the seller didn't really have a chance to review his listings to make sure it was accurate. If its been listed for 3 days, they shad time to find the error. I know I review my listing once I upload them just to make sure everything shows as I intended.

DJ
E92 Red Crofts - Anyone especially Barry, Shean, and Evers
Old 07-14-2017, 05:18 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

People can't always make everything so black and white. Sometimes it's easy to see that there are grey areas.

Everyone needs to have and show integrity. If a seller lists something at the obviously wrong price, there is no reason why he would have to honor the price, because it was, in fact, a mistake. Everyone makes mistakes. Integrity always has to run both ways. In this case, it would be up to the buyer to have integrity and accept the seller's explanation that the price was unintentionally wrong. (I am, of course, talking about a relatively wild discrepancy in price here, not an almost negligible difference in price or a case of the seller playing Monday morning quarterback.)

If, on the other hand, the seller knowingly lists an item at a certain price, but only later realizes he should have tried to get more for it, then it would be shame on him and he would have to show integrity and accept the final sale price.

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 07-14-2017, 06:50 PM
Jam.es Braci.liano

Quote:
Originally Posted by x2drich2000 View Post
I think there are a couple factors to consider. 1) Was it an obvious pricing mistake like Peter said 2) What's the dollar amount involved? $5 or $10 not really a big deal, just sell the card and move on. Several hundred dollars, that's a different story. 3) How long was the card listed? If it was bought 5 minutes after being listied, the seller didn't really have a chance to review his listings to make sure it was accurate. If its been listed for 3 days, they shad time to find the error. I know I review my listing once I upload them just to make sure everything shows as I intended.

DJ
The card was a PSA8 1968 OPC Bud Harrelson for $10, I knew I was getting an good deal but not ripping off the seller. The card was listed at least 2 full days before I pulled the trigger.

EBay is making me wait 7 days before I can leave negative feedback, which I will be doing.