NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-14-2018, 11:17 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Default Nice hobby story (for a change)

Left the White Plains show around noon. As I was leaving I walked into the middle of a really nice scene. Some guy walking in gave a full shoe box full of 80s and 90s cards to some boy around 15 who was leaving with his father. I sort of think the father and son thought they might be being scammed somehow, as they seems a little leery of the whole thing. But the guy said "this is what I like to do" and that he gives a lot of cards to younger people at shows, and that he is a dealer but didn't set up for this show. How cool is that? Even more stunning is that the guy giving the kid the cards was also maneuvering an older person in a wheel chair at the same time. I realize that this was just a totally random act of someone doing a nice gesture and I shook his hand and thanked him. Very nice.

(I didn't get his name, but in case anyone might know him he's a African American guy, on the thin side, prob. in his 50s. Reminded me very quickly of Oil Can Boyd.)

Last edited by Snapolit1; 01-14-2018 at 11:31 AM.
Old 01-14-2018, 03:49 PM
Tyler Smith
Tyler Sm.ith

Perhaps it was Oil Can Boyd! Regardless, great story. Love to hear things like that.
Old 01-14-2018, 04:26 PM
Ro.b Gui.1fo.y1e

I didn’t get there until around 1:30pm but that is a great gesture for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-14-2018, 04:44 PM
Andrew Hunt00n

Coincidentally my brother just told me today how he found his old baseball cards from childhood in his garage and didn't know what to do with them. It was all junk era stuff for the most part and I told him it wasn't worth that much these days. He said he figured that much but he had an idea of what to do with it all. He said he might find a card show and take it all to give to a kid at the show who looks like he is just getting started in the hobby. Maybe I should do the same thing with my junk era stuff. Hmmm...

The Great T206 Back Stamp Project: Click Here
My Online Trading Site: Click Here
Member of OBC (Old Baseball Cards), the longest running on-line collecting club www.oldbaseball.com
My Humble Blog: Click Here
Old 01-14-2018, 06:11 PM
Jeff Lazarus

I saw an older gentleman being pushed around in a wheelchair. I didn't see the rest of the story, but did think it was really nice to see that.
Old 01-14-2018, 07:06 PM
Howard Chasser

Default Really need to arrange a Net 54 meetup next time

I was at the show with my kids (8 and 10) from around 11 till almost closing - have experienced many acts of dealer kindness - striking up conversation, giving them cards etc. really heartening each and every time it happens! You should see the look on some of their faces when my 10yo responds to "who is your favorite player?" with "Roberto Clemente". I too saw the men mentioned. Passed them by a few times. Awesome story!! I see so many posting here - would love to put faces with names at shows we are all at! I'll be sure to start a thread ahead of next one.

Howard
Old 01-14-2018, 07:32 PM
Bry@n

I don't go to many shows, but I have about 10-15 T205 and T206 to hand out to kids when I make it to my next one. I am going to print stickers with a little info for the cases, maybe add Net54 to them too. I gave a little guy in Milwaukee a Warren Spahn Exhibit at the last show I attended here and he seemed pretty happy, so did his parents.
Old 01-16-2018, 04:41 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

That was indeed a good story. There are most likely more good stories than bad ones but we don't hear about good ones too often. Thanks!! BTW, a lot of us older guys pay it forward with young collectors and it is always great to see.

Last edited by Leon; 01-16-2018 at 04:42 PM.