NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-14-2004, 11:21 AM
Administrator

Default A reminder about vintage sports

Posted By: Eric

Bare with me, this thread will be a bit off-topic. I'm not a golf enthusiast, and really don't care for the sport. However, I had a chance to watch the movie "Bobby Jones, Stroke of Genius" the other day, and thoroughly enjoyed it. As it is now where money, greed, disrespect, and avarice are thriving in most professional sports, it was refreshing to watch a sports history movie that detailed the true essence of one mans love for a sport, and his will to respect the sport, and himself. I realize that the movie was most likely "Hollywood-ized", to portray Bobby as a faultless saint. But in the sole respect that he played his entire career as an ametuer, and resisted money to further respect himself and his sport, really impressed me.

Reading sports news and watching sports tv about the NHL strike, basketball and football brawls, steriod scandals, high salaries, etc..I can't help but realize why I love baseball and it's players from the pre-1950's era.

I think this is why most of us here have a deep love for baseball cards, and the era that we choose to adore. The game was a lot more innocent then, and the players as a whole were a lot more grateful for the game, and to each other. We love an era that quite honestly, will never be seen or displayed ever again.

Old 12-14-2004, 11:56 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Gilbert Maines

Although the money currently generated by baseball has yielded unprecedented earnings for the athletes, and this factor probably has resulted in a permanent change to the game; it is also true that prior to the abolishment of the reserve clause and other unfair rules, the game was also far different than it should have been.

Say it isn't so.

"It isn't so." Martha Stewart 2003
"I did not have sexual relations with that woman" + "It depends on what your definition of is is" Bill Clinton 2002
"Read my lips no more taxes" - G. Bush I
"I am no crook" - R. Nixon
"We are just out here for a sail" - Admiral Yokomoto December,1942

Old 12-14-2004, 12:28 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dave

This is why I collect golf cards, simpler time, pure sport - Period

Old 12-14-2004, 12:39 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Darren J. Duet

When it was a game.

Old 12-14-2004, 02:25 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Peter Thomas

December 1941

Old 12-14-2004, 05:54 PM
Administrator

Posted By: warshawlaw

The law books are full of suits trying to break the owners' strangleholds on their players.

Reading Jim Brosnan's pre-free-agency book is a real eye-opener, as is talking with any player who went through it in depth about the "good old days". While they all loved what they did and did not do it for money, they are all quite angry about how they were treated with regard to money, especially when it became apparent to them how much they should have been paid. Of course, I am basing my conclusions on lots of books and only one in depth personal conversation...but I think the conclusion will hold up.

Old 12-15-2004, 06:08 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Gilbert Maines

Yes, it is Dec. 1941 + Yamamoto.

Old 12-15-2004, 07:23 AM
Administrator

Posted By: ramram

"Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell, no." - "Bluto" Blutarsky

Old 12-15-2004, 07:38 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Mark

Guess I missed that one.

Old 12-15-2004, 07:40 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Glen V

"Germans?"

"Forget it, he's on a roll..."

What? Someone that hasn't seen Animal House?

Old 12-15-2004, 07:50 AM
Administrator

Posted By: rob

"fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life mr. Blutarsky" - Dean W.

Old 12-15-2004, 08:01 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Eric

"what's all this lying around stuff??!!" Blutowski
"well what the hell we supposed ta do ya mow-ron??!!" the Stork

"and the Stork over there...everybody thought that he was brain dead. And you call these guys losers?? Well let me tell you about another loser.." Eric Stratton, moments before being pelted with empty beer cans.

I recently brough Animal House to work for a guy to watch, who'd never seen it. When he returned it back to me, I askedhow much he liked it. His response, "I really didn't think it was that good". We don't talk any longer.

Old 12-15-2004, 09:53 AM
Administrator

Posted By: warshawlaw

"face it flounder you didn't throw up in front of dean wormer; you threw up on dean wormer"

"I, state-your-name, pledge allegiance to the frat, with liberty and fraternity for all."

"you F****ed up; you trusted us."

"food fight!"

"wait till otis sees us' he loved us!"

One of the greatest comedies of all time, right up there with Caddyshack ("This is my friend, Mr. Wang--no offense." "You buy a hat like that, you should get a bowl of soup with it--but on you it looks good." "Biggest wastes of prime real estate, golf courses and graveyards.") and Blazing Saddles ("Mongo only pawn in game of life." "That's Hedley!" "Play with these boys, in lieu of that other thing.).

When I was in college, the singer who played Otis Day was on a college tour doing the Otis character and all of the Animal House stuff.