NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-23-2011, 08:57 AM
Mike

Default Is there a Sports Card & Memorabilia Museum ?

What is the closest thing to a Sports Card & memorabilia Museum ? Do any exist ? Any suggestions of a place to visit.
Old 03-23-2011, 09:06 AM
Michael C

Baseball Hall of Fame
Old 03-23-2011, 10:15 AM
Mi.ke Que.vill.on

Default Is there a Sports Card & Memorabilia Museum ?

What is the closest thing to a Sports Card & memorabilia Museum ?

The Buy It Now section of eBay....
Old 03-23-2011, 10:36 AM
Daryl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qcards View Post

That's funny because it's true.
Old 03-23-2011, 10:38 AM
Jeff Emerson

Here is a link to an online one.
http://www.sports-memorabilia-museum.com/

Seems like I remember hear a couple years ago that a guy opened Sport Museum in NY but I think it closed within a year.

Last edited by Teamsets4u; 03-23-2011 at 02:32 PM.
Old 03-23-2011, 11:17 AM
N.ate A.dams

The one I remember the most is a place called Sports Immortals in Boca Raton, FL. I remember being quite impressed, though that was when I was a lot younger.

Here is a link I found to their site.

http://www.sportsimmortals.com/background.html

Video is kind of interesting if you have the time. The beginning of the video is all aspirational conquests of the owner, Joel Platt. The second half is their collection.

http://www.sportsimmortals.com/video.html

Terrible ending though - gotta love the song choice.

Last edited by npa589; 03-23-2011 at 11:28 AM.
Old 03-23-2011, 11:44 AM
Barry Sloate

I've been to the one in Boca and it has mostly reprints. The owner did not want to have valuable originals on display. So it's kind of disappointing.
Old 03-23-2011, 12:59 PM
David Nova.kovich Jr.

My wife grew up in Lecanto, FL., and would always talk about the Ted Williams museum. Unfortunately, by the time we took a family trip to visit her dad, the museum had been closed and was being moved into Tropicana field. That was about 5 or 6 years ago, and I haven't been back down their since, so I've never been to the old or new one.

Anyways, from what she's described, it seems like there was alot of cards/memorabilia and the such on display, even non-Ted stuff. Probably mostly from around his playing days though. She really doesn't know much about the hobby though, and I don't know what changes have been made since it moved to the Trop. Does anyone have any experiences with the old or new Ted museum?

Someone earlier mentioned the Baseball Hall of Fame. I imagine that place is packed with cards and memorabilia, but I've never been there either. I really need to get there one of these years.
Old 03-23-2011, 01:39 PM
Matt Wieder

One of our board members has a private museum out in CA with quite a collection of cards and memorabilia.
Old 03-23-2011, 01:45 PM
Jeff Emerson

Here is the one I was thinking of Sports Museum of America

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=89563

Sports Museum of AmericaFrom Wikipedia, the free encyclopediaJump to: navigation, search
Sports Museum of America

Established May 7, 2008
Dissolved February 20, 2009
Location 26 Broadway, Manhattan, New York, USA
Website Sports Museum of America

The Sports Museum of America (SmA) was the United States' first national sports museum dedicated to the history and cultural significance of sports in America. It opened on May 7, 2008 and closed February 20, 2009.

The museum was at 26 Broadway, in Lower Manhattan across from Bowling Green. The museum contributed to the revitalization of the area following the events of September 11, 2001, as it was situated footsteps from the Statue of Liberty Ferry, near Wall Street and the former site of the World Trade Center.

From the idea's inception, in September 2001 following founder Philip Schwalb's visit to the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame,[1] the museum was anticipated to celebrate all sports, and the Canyon of Heroes where New York City's famed ticker tape parades originated, was an ideal location. A decision was made to be a commercial organization, rather than a non-profit as most museums are, due to a desire to participate in New York's post 9/11 Liberty Bond financing program (available only to for-profit business). Ultimately the museum received support from the requisite government officials, most importantly in the form of Liberty Bonds issued by the City and the State to support projects aiding in the revitalization of Lower Manhattan.[2]

The Sports Museum of America became the nation's first major museum celebrating all sports: it featured more than 20 original sports films and housed more than 1,100 photographs and 800 artifacts. In addition to becoming the official home of the Heisman Trophy and its annual presentation, the Museum also housed the first ever Women's Sports Hall of Fame. Among its Board of Directors were Mario Andretti, Martina Navratilova, Joe Frazier, Bob Cousy, Billie Jean King, Paul Hornung, and two dozen other Hall of Fame athletes.

Schwalb raised $100 million over a three-year period to finance the museum, which included the aforementioned $57 million in Liberty Bonds issued to keep downtown businesses thriving after the attacks. To ensure the museum was collaborative, Schwalb struck agreements with 60 non-profit partners, including every major sports hall of fame in North America and every notable national sports governing body (e.g. USTA, USGA, U.S. Soccer, USA Hockey). Schwalb also secured over 200 private investors, primarily Wall Street executives, to finance the museum-- getting them to agree to donate 2% of revenues to charity.

Opening on May 7, 2008 to much fanfare at 26 Broadway in the former Standard Oil headquarters, the museum abounded in interactive exhibits. Nearly 100 hall of fame athletes attending the opening and speakers included Mayor Michael Bloomberg, Billie Jean King speaking on behalf of the Women's Sports Foundation, Tony Dorsett speaking on behalf of the Heisman Trophy and New York's Super Bowl winning quarterback, Eli Manning. The museum's location, at the end of the Canyon of Heroes ticker tape parades, was close to the heavily visited ferry to the Statue of Liberty.

The special event space on the second floor of the museum featured a mural tribute to all of sports by LeRoy Neiman.[3]The Museum became the official home of the Heisman Trophy[4][5] and the Women's Sports Foundation International Women's Sports Hall of Fame within the Billie Jean King International Women's Sports Center.[6][7] Like dozens of other sports halls of fame and museums, the National Baseball Hall of Fame had loaned numerous artifacts, and - in addition to all the partner halls of fame, artifacts were also secured via private collectors.[1]

Despite an award winning reception, including Nickelodeon's Parents' Pick award for best museum in New York City for children, and its high tech interactive exhibits, the museum was criticized for its relatively nondescript entrance in the Standard Oil Building due to landmark restrictions. Attendance lagged far behind the predicted 800,000 a year. At the height of the scare on Wall Street, early 2009, the museum (which was just one block from the New York Stock Exchange ) closed until further notice.

But it has closed
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/02/22/sp...2spmuseum.html
Old 03-23-2011, 03:25 PM

Not cards -but bats -I always recommend a trip to the Louisville Slugger Museum and Factory. Follow that with a Louisville Bats game at Slugger Field and you can have a nice day of baseball.
Old 03-23-2011, 04:36 PM
Mike

So there is a place for bats and the Hall of Fame for Memorabilia but not a place for just cards. It would be great to see a collection showing the artwork etc of cards from the 19th to the 21st Century.

Too bad all the great collections seem to be getting broken up in major auctions. I'm sure their are some great collections out there that a museum could be built around. Seems like a few have tried before but always failed.
Old 03-23-2011, 04:39 PM
J@son M1ller

Default Jefferson Burdick!

What about the Jefferson Burdick collection at the Metropolitan Museum of Art in NYC?
Old 03-23-2011, 04:44 PM
David McDonald

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrc32 View Post
Baseball Hall of Fame
Here is the extent of the vintage cards on display at the BBHoF when I visited four years ago. To the left of this case is another case, somewhat larger with modern cards. Of course, the place is loaded with memorabilia.

Old 03-23-2011, 04:49 PM
David McDonald

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaybird View Post
What about the Jefferson Burdick collection at the Metropolitan Museum of Art in NYC?
Considering what Burdick contributed to the Met, what is on display is decidedly on the meager side and situated in a remote corridor with as much dignity as an afterthought. There were about a dozen framed groups like these ranging from 19th century A&G's to 'fifties Topps.

Last edited by Kawika; 03-23-2011 at 04:52 PM.
Old 03-23-2011, 06:33 PM
Pup6913

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qcards View Post

+1

Last edited by Pup6913; 03-23-2011 at 06:34 PM.
Old 03-25-2011, 11:39 AM

Default Los Angeles Sports Museum

Hi,

There is a great private museum here in LA (although my father-in-law and I each found a mistake in the museum!) and it contains all kinds of memorabilia including 2 rooms dedicated to baseball cards (with a T206 Honus Wagner on display, as close as I'll ever get to one!), and there is a section of FB cards and a section on basketball cards.

Honestly it is an amazing place, and everyone should go.

here is the link:

http://www.sportsmuseumla.com/

Cheers,
Patrick