NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-24-2008, 03:09 PM
Administrator

Default Mike Baker & Jugde Judy..............

Posted By: Richard L.

Just watched this case minutes ago, please forgive me if this was previously posted, but found this case interesting. This was an ebay transaction where the seller sold a raw 1941 Play Ball DiMaggio for over 1200.00. After the buyer received the card, he was sure the card was a reprint. The buyer brought along a witness, Mike Baker. After the judge asked Mike about his credentials, she was satisfied with him as an "expert". After examining the card, Mike was certain that the card was NOT authentic. That was good enough for Judge Judy and the seller was ordered to return the buyers money. The seller was angry, and stated that the card was given to him by his father who had the card for over 45 years. Almost like coming out of granpa's attic.

Old 04-24-2008, 03:34 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Todd C

Even on TV, they use the 'in the family for X amount of years' excuse.

Good to know that Judge Judy is on the side of the collector.

Old 04-24-2008, 03:34 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Evensen

I saw it too. I thought it was a pretty well done case. I had to laugh at the defendant's claims that PSA was ready to grade that card for him on the spot, by the way. Yeah, nobody in the industry has ever questioned a PSA grade.

I'm guessing we'll see more similar lawsuits in the future, judging from the sort of garbage being sold on EBay these days.

Old 04-24-2008, 04:10 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Bretta

I just saw it....good to see an ebay scammer get his comeuppance...only wish I knew what his ebay ID was.

Old 04-24-2008, 04:10 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Andrew

I hate Judge Judy...but I had to sit down when I saw this case, I was hoping to be the first to post about it you beat me, haha.

Old 04-24-2008, 06:55 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Rawn Hill

Damn, I need to get a job where I can be at home to watch important TV.

Old 04-24-2008, 09:43 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Anonymous

I love the gold bracelet example Judge Judy gave him - just because you've have something in your family for so long DOESN'T MAKE IT AUTHENTIC! And that guy was so full of crap. He knew the card was a fake. I've seen quite a few eBay lawsuits on Judge Judy, one woman was sued for selling a "picture of a cell phone." This should send out a good message to eBay scammers, be careful who you try to scam because you might end up on Judge Judy and she'll make you look like a total a** on national TV.

Old 04-24-2008, 10:29 PM
Administrator

Posted By: john/z28jd

<<<<<This should send out a good message to eBay scammers, be careful who you try to scam because you might end up on Judge Judy and she'll make you look like a total a** on national TV. >>>

The sad part is that the defendant has to agree to be on the show,so that person and any others who look stupid are doing it because they chose to go there. The good part for them is that they get paid to be humiliated so they save money(unless they miss work of course)

Old 04-24-2008, 10:44 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Bretta

I think both the plaintiff and the defendant each have a pool of money that they will be paid and if the plaintiff wins then it comes out of the defendant's money. So basically if you get picked to go on Judge Judy or really any of those judge shows you get off without paying anything out of your own pocket. In this instance the defendant was obviously lying...he said that PSA at a show told him it was authentic...just looking at the back you could tell it was a reprint. The guy who won it had only been collecting for a year and said as soon as he opened the package he knew it was fake.

Old 04-24-2008, 10:51 PM
Administrator

Posted By: davidcycleback

I thought Judge Judy showed common sense that eludes many eBay buyers when she pointed out that if the seller was correct in his claim that the card sold for so much less than it was worth, that would be reason for him to welcome not fight a return for refund.

My retired dad watches the show. My mom, who does not, refers to her as Judge Judy Bitch. It's probably not proper decorum for a judge to scream. I think Judge Judy could be Lucy Van Pelt grown up.

Old 04-25-2008, 09:53 AM
Administrator

Posted By: J Levine

I am a closet Judy fan was loving this episode. Mike handled it well but the most obviouse sign that it was a reprint was shown really really really quickly (love TIVO) when they showed the back and it was white with a "no. 17" printed on the back above the copyright. This places the reprint as part of a set produced in the 1980s (if I recall correctly)...the seller was a complete liar and in my opinion a total scam artist. I just wish they had shown his ebay handle. Good for Judy.

Joshua

Old 04-25-2008, 09:59 AM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

Sometimes I am able to watch but not yesterday. My wife did though. The best ebay Judge Judy show (to me)was the one referenced above when the ebayer bought 2 phones for over $400 total. In return they got 2 pictures of phones. Judge Judy screamed at the lady how she was a no good, no count scam artist....and her deadbeat husband was even worse. I loved that episode. Judge Judy rocks....

Old 04-25-2008, 12:10 PM
Administrator

Posted By: davidcycleback

Joshua, fair to assume that the history of Play Ball reprinting and this guy's 'family timeline' don't jibe. I think his timeline predates Play Balls being reprinted.

Watching these shows you get to watch two parties offering two distinct and conflicting stories, knowing that both of them can't be telling the truth. Explaining why you should "Get it in writing."