NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Modern Baseball Cards Forum (1980-Present)

Old 11-07-2017, 06:14 AM
pete ullman

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott6649 View Post
Just wanted to get everyone ready for the MVP topps now cards a little early...

ouch!!!!! I think the pose with judges hands on his head should have the runner up caption!

Last edited by ullmandds; 11-07-2017 at 06:14 AM.
Old 11-07-2017, 06:48 AM
Fr@nk Burke++

Jose can you see, Gosh, half an Altuve looks even smaller.

Jake, keep in touch next season.

Was George Springer ever mentioned as the second coming of Babe Ruth? No.

Would Houston have won the series without their third, fourth and fifth starters (who compared favorably to Kershaw and Darvish in the WS) ? No

I realize that all your predictions can be and will be rationalized, but I’m sort of glad they went ahead and played the games. Great series.

I, for one, hope Judge has a better year in 2018 and that Kershaw’s back problems do not curtail his fine career to date.

I don’t think it has been mentioned here before, but I think a team should have to use the players that got them them through the whole season in the playoffs. When late season pickups play a significant role in September and October (aka Verlander and Darvish), it just doesn’t seem right to me.

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.

Last edited by frankbmd; 11-07-2017 at 08:33 AM.
Old 11-07-2017, 07:59 AM
Matt

A rookie is runner-up for MVP while setting the rookie HR mark? Awesome.
Old 11-07-2017, 11:15 AM
_Er!ck*L.ew1n_

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyC View Post
A rookie is runner-up for MVP while setting the rookie HR mark? Awesome.
Yea, unbelievably impressive!

And just think about this, I had this thought this morning.

What if it had been Mike Trout who put up the exact stat line that Aaron Judge did this year. Say Trout hadn't been hurt and had a breakout power year for him with the other numbers in Judges stat line....

155games 542ab 128 Runs 52 HR 114RBI (2nd in LG) 127 Walks 9 SB .284 avg .422 OBP(2nd in LG) .627 SLG (2nd in LG) 1.049 OPS (2nd in LG)

That is an absolutely dominant statistical year for a power hitter.

Yes... I know he lead league in strikeouts as well. But can anyone truthfully tell me if the person who put up the above stat line's last name was Trout that he would not be MVP?

Altuve was great and also deserving, not saying he's not I just think the voters put a lot of emphasis on past track records and service time and player name recognition etc... in their voting.

I just think if Trout had put up Judges exact stat, setting a new HR mark for himself with all those great other numbers, there wouldn't likely be much debate. Leading League in HR, R, and Walks etc...

I think Altuve will win this year and is equally deserving. But I also feel that voters are taking into account him leading the lg in hits last few seasons and them also likely thinking that it's Altuves chance with Trout getting hurt this year. Almost like it's his turn.

Again, Altuve had a great year , I'd like to see a co-MVP this year but obviously won't happen. I tip my cap to Altuve and Astros. Hopefully the Yankees can make some noise again next year!
Old 11-07-2017, 11:21 AM
_Er!ck*L.ew1n_

I am also sure there are a number of voters with the thinking that judge has rookie of year vote locked up so he doesn't "need" to win both roy and mvp.
Old 11-07-2017, 11:58 AM

Here's my thing about Altuve: he isn't the reason the Astros were good. The roster is stacked. Altuve had the best season among them, but I firmly believe without Altuve the Astros still finish where they did.

I don't think the same thing can be said about the Yankees. Without Judge the Yankees were doomed. There's no way they enter the All Star break where they were without Judge's first half performance, and there's no way they finish the season where they were without Judge's September. That's an MVP.
Old 11-07-2017, 02:48 PM

The Yankees were 31-22 from July 14 to Sept 10. In that time span Judge hit .191 with 11 home runs and 24 RBI. One could argue that they did fine without him. With his second half followed by his playoff showing one could also maybe argue that the league figured him out. Sure he got fat on September callup pitching.. Big deal. His home road splits are obscenely in favor of Yankee Stadium. .312 hitter at home, .256 on the road. He set a home run record in a juiced ball year, breaking a home run record set by McGwire in 1987 which was a juiced ball year. So it's not really the slam dunk that some might think it is, let alone my personal opinion that giving the MVP to a rookie is dumb. Gotta prove you belong.
Old 11-07-2017, 06:28 PM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Location: https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/mysetregistry/set/348387

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankbmd View Post
Jose can you see, Gosh, half an Altuve looks even smaller.

Jake, keep in touch next season.

Was George Springer ever mentioned as the second coming of Babe Ruth? No.

Would Houston have won the series without their third, fourth and fifth starters (who compared favorably to Kershaw and Darvish in the WS) ? No

I realize that all your predictions can be and will be rationalized, but I’m sort of glad they went ahead and played the games. Great series.

I, for one, hope Judge has a better year in 2018 and that Kershaw’s back problems do not curtail his fine career to date.

I don’t think it has been mentioned here before, but I think a team should have to use the players that got them them through the whole season in the playoffs. When late season pickups play a significant role in September and October (aka Verlander and Darvish), it just doesn’t seem right to me.

Cbapman was picked up by cubs last year...thats par for the course in terms of late additions....

Im glad they played the games as well and i think you were proven wrong on almost everything. The dodgers showed the 2nd half losing streak against NL teams meant zero..they marched all the way to the world series and got it to 7 games..

amazing astros have guys like jake marisnick and a few others that were hurt that can be very important next year..

I hated Darvish as well...said didnt want hiim to start game 7..after game 4..

but he as the #2 starter decided it for the dodgers..and lost....kershaw didnt lose the series at all..

Houston had one of the most dynamic offenses in history...we will look back on their lineup from 2017 and be amazed they had all those players...more than what we do when we look at the expo teams..

I didnt care about Judge winning any awards....you were all over him for the postseason but he had a pretty good post season..i not sure how many runners in scoring position he failed to drive in but it wasnt many if any...

You cant discount what a great year Judge had.....i dont think hes matt nokes....i am going to take a wild guess and say Judge wont match or have a better year than he did this year...if he has another year thats equal or better to this year....it will be the greatest 2 years any player has ever had or at least arguably...without the use of drugs..

Last edited by 1952boyntoncollector; 11-07-2017 at 06:33 PM.
Old 11-12-2017, 02:53 PM

Judge's card values peaked at the all star break and have gone down since. Will his card values ever go pack to their peaks last July? Time will tell.
Old 11-17-2017, 03:42 PM
Larry

On yesterday's MLB show announcing the AL and NL MVP, Tom Verducci made a very interesting poing about Judge: His "launch" (or swing/uppercut) angle increased from 13% before the All-Star break to 20% for his nearly invisible, just short of two months period following that point. This made him extremely vulnerable to fastballs in the upper portion of the strike zone, as would be perfectly expected (it is in fact tremendously hard to hit a high fastball utilizing a swing that employs a substantial uppercut). When Judge got hot again in September, that launch/uppercut angle of his swing decreased. This is a very smart kid who will undoubtedly be made aware of this info (if he is not already) and use it to his advantage next year.

May he do well,

Larry

Last edited by ls7plus; 11-17-2017 at 03:43 PM.
Old 11-18-2017, 08:13 AM
Fr@nk Burke++

Anyone interested in participating in a 2018 Judge HR/K Board (10x10) next season.

By a square for $ x.oo.

After the squares are sold, randomly assign a range of HRs for each column on x-axis and a range of strikeouts for each row on the y-axis.

The HR columns could be 0-10, 11-20, 21-30, 31-40, etc up to 91-100.

The K rows could be 0-30, 31-60, 61-90, 91-120, etc up to 271-300.

In addition there would be a Calcutta pool where you could bet any amount on which square would be winner before the season starts.

The Board Pool would be winner take all with one bet per square.

The Calcutta pool could be divided if more than one bet is placed on the winning square. If however Judge hits 88 HRs and strikes out 88 times and there is no Calcutta winner, either those funds could be returned to the bettors or rolled over to a 2019 Board.

Note: This Post is not a solicitation to participate or an expression of willingness to coordinate and manage such an endeavor. Consider it virtually imaginary.

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 11-18-2017, 08:26 AM

Default Can u say Joe Charbeanu

Good luck on the Judge investment?? How can I short him??