NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-15-2012, 01:01 PM
Chris.tian Aug.ustus

Default New to vintage...Where do I start?

Hi gang,

Been lurking for a bit, reading as much as I can, scanning the B/S/T forums and eBay as well. The price of getting into vintage is daunting, but not nearly as intimidating as the sheer scope of data regarding vintage. I'd like to reach out for some guidance from the community here.

I've been collecting modern for years. My PC is largely made up of stuff from 1983 to 2012 (I collect Ryne Sandberg) and a nice set of Topps 58/59 cards that I got from my dad. I'm getting pretty fed up with modern lately. When trying to gather more Ryne Sandberg cards, I realized that there were more Sandbergs made since he retired than were ever made while he played. Something about this bothered me. Anyhow, I started researching vintage.

I have narrowed my interest down to 5 sets. My criteria are based on a few things:

1. Subjects. I am interested in HOF 2nd basemen in particular (Frisch, Lajoie, Gehringer, Hornsby, Doerr) so I tried to find sets that included these players. I realize that I have players from 2 eras here and that no one set will have them all.

2. Aesthetics. Wanted something cool to look at.

3. Price. Especially at first, I didn't want to dive in head first with something super expensive. I am far more of a collector than an investor. I can never bring myself to let go of something cool.

So, with that in mind I have been considering:

1911 T201 Meccas
1921 Exhibits
1934-36 Diamond Stars
1939 Goudey
1941 Play Ball

I *think* that bang for the buck the ~WW1 T201 set is going to be the most affordable Lajoie around, but any guidance here would be appreciated.

As far as the Exhibits, that's somewhat of an intermediate era set. Not sure if it's essential, but I love the look.

And the 30's to 40's era stuff...are there any huge obstacles for these sets? Any reason that I should choose one over the others? The 39 Goudey is a decent looking set, but I love the backs. Pretty short on subjects too.

Anyhow, thanks for taking the time to read. All suggestions are welcome.

Regards,

Christian

Last edited by cubsfan-budman; 08-15-2012 at 01:26 PM.
Old 08-15-2012, 01:09 PM
Matt Hall

Hi Christian,

Another option would be to just collect HOF 2nd basemen cards. You already have been collecting a single player in Sandberg, so I think you already know what to expect. Plus, it's easier to afford the special cards, without buying all the commons and other HOF that you might not be that interested in.

Thats the way I collected until I stumbled into a couple of issued that hooked me. So if you pick up a card you really like, you might just end up buying a bunch of them.

Good Luck!
-Matt
Old 08-15-2012, 01:12 PM
ßrën.døn ßig.åløw

All the ones you mentioned are great places to start. I personally love the double folders and the diamond stars (both are relatively cheap, too). If you're constrained a bit by your budget, you might want to check out strip cards (W551, W514, W516, etc). They're definitely an acquired taste, but I love the way they look and they have a great selection of star players at reasonable prices.
Old 08-15-2012, 01:18 PM
Chris.tian Aug.ustus

I have considered that! And I may start that way.

I have this ludicrous compulsion to put thing in order...I've always been a set collector.

Anyhow, thanks for the advice!
Old 08-15-2012, 01:22 PM
Rob G.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubsfan-budman View Post
I am interested in HOF 2nd basemen in particular (Frisch, Lajoie, Gehringer, Hornsby, Cobb)
If you replace Cobb (an outfielder) with Eddie Collins I think u're lookin good!

You mentioned five sets and five players. To start, maybe pick up one player from each set?
It'll give you five vintage cards (each from a different set and of different players) to look at and consider how you want to proceed from there.

There are a million ways to collect, and there is no wrong way, so welcome and good luck!
Rob

edited to add: what I suggested may not be possible, as only Gehringer appears to be available of those you mentioned in the last two sets:
1911 T201 Meccas (#2 Collins/Baker, #28 Lajoie/Falkenberg)
1921 Exhibits (#8 Eddie Collins, #28 Hornsby)
1934-36 Diamond Stars (#17 Frisch, #77 Gehringer)
1939 Goudey (#16 Gehringer)
1941 Play Ball (#19 Gehring)

So if you get Lajoie Mecca, Collins or Hornsby Exhibit, Frisch Diamond Star, Gehringer from either Goudey or Playball, then you can get your 5th card (Collins or Hornsby) from a different 5th set.

Last edited by tiger8mush; 08-15-2012 at 01:35 PM.
Old 08-15-2012, 01:26 PM
Chris.tian Aug.ustus

Funny, I meant Doerr anyhow

Been reading too many checklists.

Thanks!
Old 08-15-2012, 01:40 PM
Rob G.

Quote:
Funny, I meant Doerr anyhow

Cool, Doerr is available in the 1941 PB, so replace Cobb/Collins with Doerr and this is a possibility for 5 cards (just a thought):

1911 T201 Meccas (#28 Lajoie/Falkenberg)
1921 Exhibits (#28 Hornsby)
1934-36 Diamond Stars (#17 Frisch)
1939 Goudey (#16 Gehringer)
1941 Play Ball (#19 Doerr)

Rob

Last edited by tiger8mush; 08-15-2012 at 01:41 PM.
Old 08-15-2012, 01:42 PM
Scott Mt. Joy

5 Great set choices, I like the idea of getting one card from each set, each time of a different player, that will let you see what you like and don't like from each set. Also the idea of just collecting HOF second basemen would be interesting and give you exposure to a lot of other cool type sets.

Good luck and have fun with your choice.
Old 08-15-2012, 02:12 PM
Joe Drouillard

Default Welcome

Hi Christian,

Welcome. It sounds like you've thought it through pretty well already. I especially like the idea of collecting just second basemen. So much depends on your budget and what condition of card is acceptable to you. If you can afford prewar cards of HOFers it is probably the best way to go, but it can get pretty pricey if creases, stains and card altering bother you. It may also be neat to focus on less famous second basemen and learn about their careers as you collect them.

Here are a few general pieces of advice. I hope they will be helpful.

1. Stay open to what you want to collect. There are so many possibilities in prewar. It's fairly easy to buy & sell prewar cards today, so you can always change course. Learning what you like is half the fun.
2. Don't be too upset when you make a bad buy. Most of the ungraded prewar cards on eBay have some flaw in them or they wouldn't be for sale. Buying cards is an emotional decision and we all make mistakes.
3. Keep learning about the cards. Knowledge = money in this hobby. The more that you know about the cards, the more cards you will be able to own.

Have fun. The last seven years since I started to collect have been the best of my life. The good news is there are a lot of great people on this board that will help you along the way.

Best of luck with your collection,

Joe
Old 08-15-2012, 02:18 PM
Chris.tian Aug.ustus

Any opinion on whether my first purchases should be graded or unslabbed?

And what is the best place to look? EBay, other auctions or b/s/t here?
Old 08-15-2012, 02:22 PM
Mike

Quote:

The great slabbed/unslabbed debate shall now resume.....
I say unslabbed but that's just me.........
Old 08-15-2012, 02:29 PM
€r!©k §µmmær$

Quote:

If it's an issue you've never handled, I'd try to get it on the BST raw. I think you should have a feel for the cards (literally), you can make the slabbed/raw decision based on your own preference and rationale.
Old 08-15-2012, 02:41 PM
Rob G.

Quote:

If you are just getting your feet wet and plan to buy off ebay, buy a few slabbed (low grade) and then crack them out. It'll give you an idea of what to expect and something with which to compare future purchases.

If you buy off the b/s/t you can feel comfortable and feel free to ask the members questions!
Rob
Old 08-15-2012, 02:42 PM
Scott Mt. Joy

I would look for raw but you can also buy a low grade graded like a 30/2 and just crack it out, you will lose little value at those grades and you will imo make up for that by being able to touch and feel the card and getting a better understanding of that issue. The BST here is perfect but ebay is fine too just stick with good sellers and you might want to get a one day VCP and look up the prices on all the cards you have an interest in to be prepared to buy at either place, a lot of the BIN's on ebay are very high and while there are many more fair prices on Net54, there is still a few sellers who price things too high imo.
Old 08-15-2012, 02:49 PM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Welcome to the boards. What I’m about to say may come across as sounding sarcastic, but it really isn’t meant to be. If you have to ask others for guidance on what to collect, you’re probably not ready quite yet. That’s a decision you have to make on your own. It’s kind of like asking what kind of girl to date. Blonde, red head or brunette? Brown, blue or green eyes? Etc. Personally, I like brunettes with brown eyes, but that may not appeal to you. There are many options and you have to pick what looks/feels right to you. If you go by the opinion of others, you may end up with a partial set of something you just don’t like or won’t hold your interest. Good luck!
Old 08-15-2012, 04:06 PM
Chris.tian Aug.ustus

Thanks for all the great feedback, sincerely.

EDIT: Oh, and is there a good place to find commons for sets in multiples? Seems like nearly everything I see is buying in singles.

Are there outlets for "bulk" buys of vintage, or is it normally just individuals?

Last edited by cubsfan-budman; 08-15-2012 at 04:08 PM.
Old 08-15-2012, 06:26 PM
Steven

Welcome to the board and continue acquiring knowledge. David is right, if you are asking then you need to keep looking. Honestly though, what do you like? I cant stand the look of certain cards while I cant get CJs out my mind and every time I see red I think about the JJ or Cobby I need. The B/S/T here is about as safe as it gets thanks to Sheriff Leon. Whether raw or graded (bust 'em all out), you'll need to feel the card, smell the card and get used to them to educate yourself as you are responsible for that knowledge. In the end, when your guts tells you the card/set is right for you, you will know it. No need to rush into anything either. Also, if you are married you'll need a way to get envelopes out of the mail w/o her noticing as that seems to help.
Old 08-15-2012, 08:16 PM
Barry Arnold

Default new

welcome aboard and good luck with this fascinating avocation.
all the best,
barry
Old 08-16-2012, 06:22 AM
Jeff P

Welcome Christian!

Although I also have a burning desire to complete sets, my first reaction was exactly what others have proposed. Start with an area that you are interested in (like HOF 2B'ers) and you will identify sets you like as you begin to accumulate those cards.

I would definitely recommend you start raw. If you are patient, vintage cards lots WILL pop up on ebay occasionally for a wide variety of sets. In fact, acquiring a larger lot for a particular set is often my impetus to decide to work to complete a set as set completion one card at a time just takes too long for me to stay interested in it. I also usually have a couple of sets going at once so that there is enough needed volume to keep me having fun and busy looking for what I need. When I get close to completing a set, I will usually add a new set to work on while patiently waiting for the right deals for those cards I still need in the near completed set. Invariably those cards are stars and take more time to find at the price point you like. While I often buy raw cards, I will look for good deals on graded star cards as well.

Good luck.

jeff
Old 08-16-2012, 10:37 AM
Brent Niederman
Bre.nt Nieder.m@n

Good luck! It's fun and frustrating

Last edited by HOF Auto Rookies; 08-16-2012 at 11:02 AM.
Old 08-25-2012, 08:34 AM
Ryan

Great thread, OP! I was looking for a bit of guidance myself, as I'm looking to begin collecting vintage and it does seem a bit daunting compared to the more modern stuff.

Also, great replies by everyone else, as well!
Old 08-25-2012, 09:04 AM
Jeff 'Prize-ner'

1921 Exhibits easily the fav of mine on your list. So many great images.
Old 08-25-2012, 07:45 PM

Default welcome

one word...

t206
Old 08-26-2012, 07:50 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Since you like HOF 2nd baseman you might consider making a list of all of them, say pre-1980 (or whatever your vintage cut off is). Then you could narrow it down to sets they are in, then go for the players from your list that are in those sets. Sort of a type card 2nd baseman set. That way you get to collect a very diverse subset that would be fun and can be virtually endless.
Old 08-26-2012, 10:03 AM
M@rk Lu7z

One of the bad things about the demise of the local card show is that it's tough for new people to hold cards in their hands and test whether it does anything for them. I recommend that you look for a low grade t206 for the Lajoie. You might someday add an Eddie Collins and a Larry Doyle. Maybe an Evers, too. I'd also start with rough but presentable samples of Frisch, Hornsby, and Gehringer from the 1933 Goudey set. There's also a Lazzeri in it. I don't think they're much more expensive than the Diamond Stars. More a matter of taste, I think.
Old 08-26-2012, 11:00 AM
Chris.tian Aug.ustus

Thanks all for the solid advice.

I've been all over the place with my vintage card search lately with my enthusiasm getting in the way of my 2nd baseman focus.

I'm tracking a t206 Lajoie right now on ebay...I keep missing out on good examples of the T201, which is the one I assumed would be easiest to get.

Eddie Collins is stunningly expensive in nearly all examples...So, I hardly search for him currently.

Gehringer is absolutely in my price range, but I don't love his color Goudey cards. The black and whites from Exhibit and Natl Chicle/Goudey are cool, just haven't found the right ones yet. Also been looking for an on-ball auto of Gehringer. He has a really cool sig.

It occurred to me that I might just focus on one PLAYER rather than one position, just because of how vast the card selection is...but that takes some of the fun out of searching.

Anyhow, I keep finding new ways to spend my money, thats for sure. Thanks again for all the suggestions!

Keep em coming!

Christian
Old 08-27-2012, 06:59 AM

T206 Collins is typically a good bit cheaper than Lajoie at the same grade. Just picked up a nice PSA 2 Collins for $80ish. It's an interesting card- ghostlike portrait with the crimson background.

Last edited by deltufjp2; 08-27-2012 at 10:55 AM.
Old 08-28-2012, 03:13 AM
Tim

Default Gehringer........1941 Play Ball

You noted above you didn't care for Gehringer's Goudey cards. You may want to consider his 1941 Play Ball. Its colors are quite striking.........

(my card)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg gehringer19.jpg (31.1 KB, 65 views)
Old 08-28-2012, 08:34 AM
Chris.tian Aug.ustus

I love the 39, 40 and 41 playball sets...they really look great, imho.

Same reason I'm really enjoying the 36 Natl Chicle. Love the action shots in particular.