NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-27-2012, 12:32 PM
Zach

Default Have you ever gone backwards in the hobby?

Have you ever hit a bad point in your collecting where you had to sell a good portion of your cards due to certain issues? Maybe have you ever had cards stolen or damaged?
I am asking because I recently am taking a huge, giant step backwards, I am forced to sell the majority of my collection due to a massive paycut at work, that was 20% of my salary, and also lost of student loan debt. The owner told me I was getting paid too much for the past 1 and 1/4, and they made a payroll error, which is true but I think he should honor his mistake since it has been over 1 year of this pay. I did not notice I was getting paid too much because my salary was part expense report and salary (confusing), but it was the only way he could afford to pay me a good amount. He set me ans others up this way so he could compensate for the fact that this company moved over 30 miles from our houses when it used to be 7 miles away. I never worked payroll, nor got paid this way so I trusted what they came up with. I felt there was maybe an error but when I asked over a year ago they said I was getting paid what I was supposed to be paid and it was not too much. So I took their word for it. Now they finally discovered the error all this time later. I need to sell most of my babies off to keep my head above water. I now have listings up on Ebay and it sucks.
Maybe if I hear other stories I won't feel too crushed and it could show hope that maybe I can return to the hobby one day soon after I get a new job. Right now I feel discouraged at the thought of rebuilding all my subsets back up in the future. It sucks to sell cards that I just bought a few weeks ago too right before I got notice they were slicing my pay to an unreasonable amount.
Old 08-27-2012, 12:42 PM
Jake

Do you think you could add the URL or your eBay name so I and other members can view your items please?
Old 08-27-2012, 12:44 PM
_G@ґy*€hℯη_

Sorry to hear about your situation, Zach. I think this happens to many of us, however, when real life priorities take precedence over our hobby. I'm always thinking about this also, and many times, I look at my collection in terms of "first sell" and "last sell." Some of this occurs when I come upon a card that I really want, but I have to sell other parts of my collection in order to be able to pay for it. The "last sell" cards tend to be my favorites or the ones that I would have a really hard time getting back because they are very rare. For example, one of my favorite cards is the 1926-29 Exhibits Ruth (Pose). I have four different color variations of this card. However, if I really needed the funds, I would probaby sell off the blue and sepia tints since these are more common colors for the card. Anyway, good luck, and hope you can still stay in the hobby to some extend and in the future, buy some of your collection back.
Old 08-27-2012, 12:52 PM
Jeff P

Quote:
Originally Posted by zljones View Post
Have you ever hit a bad point in your collecting where you had to sell a good portion of your cards due to certain issues? Maybe have you ever had cards stolen or damaged?
I am asking because I recently am taking a huge, giant step backwards, I am forced to sell the majority of my collection due to a massive paycut at work, that was 20% of my salary, and also lost of student loan debt. The owner told me I was getting paid too much for the past 1 and 1/4, and they made a payroll error, which is true but I think he should honor his mistake since it has been over 1 year of this pay. I did not notice I was getting paid too much because my salary was part expense report and salary (confusing), but it was the only way he could afford to pay me a good amount. He set me ans others up this way so he could compensate for the fact that this company moved over 30 miles from our houses when it used to be 7 miles away. I never worked payroll, nor got paid this way so I trusted what they came up with. I felt there was maybe an error but when I asked over a year ago they said I was getting paid what I was supposed to be paid and it was not too much. So I took their word for it. Now they finally discovered the error all this time later. I need to sell most of my babies off to keep my head above water. I now have listings up on Ebay and it sucks.
Maybe if I hear other stories I won't feel too crushed and it could show hope that maybe I can return to the hobby one day soon after I get a new job. Right now I feel discouraged at the thought of rebuilding all my subsets back up in the future. It sucks to sell cards that I just bought a few weeks ago too right before I got notice they were slicing my pay to an unreasonable amount.
Have you talked to an employment lawyer? It would be worth one hour of your time to chat with someone about this. You likely DO owe them the $$$ but, depending upon your state, may have the ability to negotiate a repayment plan which would allow you to pay this back over a period of time and perhaps not have to liquidate so much of your collection. I would also have this individual look at your compensation package to determine whether what your employer did was actually legal or not. I don't know enough to have an opinion but it smells odd and might not be something they were allowed to do. That could help your case.

Check it out asap.

jeff
Old 08-27-2012, 12:53 PM
J.O.N

I had thousands of cards stolen by "friends" when I was away at college. About a tenth were recovered. Some that were not I have repurchased or traded for. A couple still are in my mind to get again but as time has passed the pain has too. Still looking to pick up the '75 brett and '53 pee wee reese i lost as well as a couple early Clemente's. The image of cards thrown around my room when I walked in still pops in my mind from time to time and that was 20 plus years ago.

I think on your end just know that you can always start again. What I have done to help is look at is as a chance To upgrade. Get better condition or something a little more rare.

Hope it works out for the best.
Jon

My PM box might be full.

Email:
jcfowler6@zoominternet.net

Want list:
Prewar Pirates items
1909 Pirates
BF2 Wagner
Cracker Jack Wagner and Clarke

Love the hobby.
Old 08-27-2012, 12:54 PM
Zach

Quote:
Originally Posted by glchen View Post
Sorry to hear about your situation, Zach. I think this happens to many of us, however, when real life priorities take precedence over our hobby. I'm always thinking about this also, and many times, I look at my collection in terms of "first sell" and "last sell." Some of this occurs when I come upon a card that I really want, but I have to sell other parts of my collection in order to be able to pay for it. The "last sell" cards tend to be my favorites or the ones that I would have a really hard time getting back because they are very rare. For example, one of my favorite cards is the 1926-29 Exhibits Ruth (Pose). I have four different color variations of this card. However, if I really needed the funds, I would probaby sell off the blue and sepia tints since these are more common colors for the card. Anyway, good luck, and hope you can still stay in the hobby to some extend and in the future, buy some of your collection back.
Gary that is exactly what I am trying to do, I am trying to hold on to my favorites and mostly releasing my post war cards. I have had to sell prewar but I am trying hard to hold on to my favorites like most of my 19th century cards. The good thing that will come out of selling these is that I will be very close to debt free.

Jake my Ebay user ID is Zook1981 http://myworld.ebay.com/zook1981. I am only allowed 100 items per month so the rest will be listing late September and those will be heavy hitter cards than these, hopefully I can just find a new job before then and they will not be sold.
Old 08-27-2012, 12:57 PM
Zach

Quote:
Originally Posted by jefferyepayne View Post
Have you talked to an employment lawyer? It would be worth one hour of your time to chat with someone about this. You likely DO owe them the $$$ but, depending upon your state, may have the ability to negotiate a repayment plan which would allow you to pay this back over a period of time and perhaps not have to liquidate so much of your collection. I would also have this individual look at your compensation package to determine whether what your employer did was actually legal or not. I don't know enough to have an opinion but it smells odd and might not be something they were allowed to do. That could help your case.

Check it out asap.

jeff
I do not have to pay the state back, yet, and hopefully not, but who knows now, since they were coming down on him, they may hit the employees next. I am liquidating to pay other debts because I can't afford the payments on those other debts. And believe me Jeff I have thought of fighting legal battles alot LOL, they do alot of crooked things. If the state comes after me then I may have to.
Old 08-27-2012, 12:58 PM
Pete
Pet.er ian.nic.elli

Zach - don't worry. You're situation is bad but not the end of the world.

I can imagine divorces (having to split/sell collection on top of the stress of a divorce) would be the worst.

W600 Cobb and Wagner
Sporting News/Collins McCarthy Jackson
Seamless Cobb rookie
Low Grade Ruth rookie

Cards:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/189414509@N08/albums
Old 08-27-2012, 01:00 PM
Zach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcfowler6 View Post
I had thousands of cards stolen by "friends" when I was away at college. About a tenth were recovered. Some that were not I have repurchased or traded for. A couple still are in my mind to get again but as time has passed the pain has too. Still looking to pick up the '75 brett and '53 pee wee reese i lost as well as a couple early Clemente's. The image of cards thrown around my room when I walked in still pops in my mind from time to time and that was 20 plus years ago.

I think on your end just know that you can always start again. What I have done to help is look at is as a chance To upgrade. Get better condition or something a little more rare.

Hope it works out for the best.
Jon
I actually have a PSA 5 George Brett going right now and a really busted up 53 Bowman Reese in auction.
That sucks when people steal your cards I have had that happen to me a few times when I was a kid
Old 08-27-2012, 01:01 PM
Zach

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportscardpete View Post
Zach - don't worry. You're situation is bad but not the end of the world.

I can imagine divorces (having to split/sell collection on top of the stress of a divorce) would be the worst.
Yes definatley, and as long as I can hold on to my best loved cards I will be ok for now, and pretty debt free too. Definatly an upside, it is just painful right now taking all those pics and listing them on ebay.
Old 08-27-2012, 01:02 PM
Jake

Thanks Zach, and sorry about your situation.
Old 08-27-2012, 01:10 PM
Paul

I sold all but a handful of my T206 set of 521 a few years ago. I regret nothing, even though I am currently slowly putting it back together a slightly different way. I do sometimes miss my old PSA 6 Hal Chase (Pink), with a corner crease, and my SGC 60 Lajoie Throwing, but I get over it pretty quickly.

There is something to be said for taking the time to refocus your collection in a second/come back run...

Good luck!

www.instagram.com/signedT206/
@SignedT206
Old 08-27-2012, 01:13 PM
Joe M.

I don't think you will miss the post war cards, now the others might be a different matter.

Joe

Collecting Detroit 19th Century N172, N173, N175.
N172 Detroit. Getzein, McGlone, Rooks, Wheelock, Gillligan, Kid Baldwin Error, Lady Baldwin, Conway, Deacon White

Positive transactions with Joe G, Jay Miller, CTANK80, BIGFISH, MGHPRO, k. DIXON, LEON, INSIDETHEWRAPPER, GOCUBSGO32, Steve Suckow, RAINIER2004, Ben Yourg, GNAZ01, yanksrnice09, cmiz5290, Kris Sweckard (Kris19),Angyal, Chuck Tapia,Belfast1933,bcbgcbrcb,fusorcruiser, tsp06, cobbcobb13
Old 08-27-2012, 01:14 PM
Zach

Quote:
Originally Posted by T206Collector View Post
I sold all but a handful of my T206 set of 521 a few years ago. I regret nothing, even though I am currently slowly putting it back together a slightly different way. I do sometimes miss my old PSA 6 Hal Chase (Pink), with a corner crease, and my SGC 60 Lajoie Throwing, but I get over it pretty quickly.

There is something to be said for taking the time to refocus your collection in a second/come back run...

Good luck!
Thanks that helps alot. I am also definatley trying to put a more positive spin on it.
Old 08-27-2012, 01:15 PM
Zach

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcmtiger View Post
I don't think you will miss the post war cards, now the others might be a different matter.

Joe
Yea post war is pretty replaceable and many of values may go down in years to come.
Old 08-27-2012, 01:18 PM
Jeff P

Quote:
I do not have to pay the state back, yet, and hopefully not, but who knows now, since they were coming down on him, they may hit the employees next. I am liquidating to pay other debts because I can't afford the payments on those other debts. And believe me Jeff I have thought of fighting legal battles alot LOL, they do alot of crooked things. If the state comes after me then I may have to.
Hey Zach. Just to be clear, I am NOT advocating a legal battle. I AM advocating that you get professional advice from an employment attorney as to what your rights are in this situation and what the law says. What you do with that information depends upon where this all goes but I would make sure you understand what you are and are not entitled to before signing any piece of paper telling anyone you are paying them back anything.

Good luck and I hope it all works out for the best.

jeff
Old 08-27-2012, 01:44 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Hey Zach. Just to be clear, I am NOT advocating a legal battle. I AM advocating that you get professional advice from an employment attorney as to what your rights are in this situation and what the law says. What you do with that information depends upon where this all goes but I would make sure you understand what you are and are not entitled to before signing any piece of paper telling anyone you are paying them back anything.

jeff
I would make sure not to win the fight and lose the war. Nowadays jobs can be difficult to come by.

If your employer likes you, and wants to keep you, they should work with you on repaying THEIR error.
Old 08-27-2012, 01:50 PM
Zach

Quote:

jeff
Actually you had good advice, right now I am just going to hang in there until I get a new job and if things come around on me then I will probably have to see someone about it, so I do not have to pay anything. I do not think the law can help me with how much I got paid because on record it looks like I get paid almost 6 grand more a year, it's pretty confusing, but what happened was he cut expense reports, which was a $4,000 a year loss for me, and then it was discovered that my base that was not expenses was also $4,000 too high came to about a $8,000 a year pay cut. Hopefully I can just find a new job and be happier. This company is hurting for money real bad and could close within a year.

Last edited by zljones; 08-27-2012 at 01:51 PM.
Old 08-27-2012, 01:52 PM
qu@n nguy3n

am i reading this right--zach has been overpaid for over a year due to an accounting problem at his workplace. they just found out so he's back at his normal wage. he doesn't have to pay back any back wages. if this is correct, what's the problem?
Old 08-27-2012, 02:19 PM
Robert Williams

He took a downgrade in the style of living he had grown accustomed to.
Old 08-27-2012, 02:24 PM
Zach

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaddurbin View Post
am i reading this right--zach has been overpaid for over a year due to an accounting problem at his workplace. they just found out so he's back at his normal wage. he doesn't have to pay back any back wages. if this is correct, what's the problem?
No I do not have to pay back back wages. I was paid a certain amount before May 2011 then our company moved far away which i expressed to the owner that the gas and toll costs would be a major financial burden, others expressed this too. In order to prevent employees from walking out he decided to pay pay 1/3rd of our salary as expense reports instead of salary so not as much taxes were to be paid. Of course we ended with more pay but not at the companies expense. The owner got in trouble with the IRS recently so he had to cut off expense reports.
When I was first set up on expense report system back in May 2011 he was going to pay me $25,000 a year plus $10,000 a year in expenses because I was making $35,000 when we were at the location close to home. Making $25,000 a year plus $10,000 in expenses is much more money than $35,000 a year straight salary; therefore, compensating for the extra gas used to drive all the way up there every day. When we arrived here they somehow entered me in as $29,000 a year plus $10,000 in expenses instead of $25,000 a year and $10,000 in expenses. None of us knew about this error, I did think it was strange so I asked about over a year ago and they told me I was getting $25,000 plus $10,000. I did not think I was getting $29,000 and $10,000.
Recently it was discovered that I was getting $29,000 and $10,000 all this time, I was surprised but it was right. We now submit to a payroll company and they showed that I was getting $29,000 on the books. My company then adjusted me back to 35,000 a year which was the same as I made at the old location. The reason why I am in a worse situation is because I have spend tons of money on gas that I did not need to spend on when I was going closer to home. I hated sharing my salary but I think it is the only way this could be understood. they are not making me pay anything back but I worry about the IRS making me pay.
Old 08-27-2012, 02:25 PM
Zach

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyw8469 View Post
He took a downgrade in the style of living he had grown accustomed to.
Exactly
Old 08-27-2012, 02:29 PM
Steven

Zach - Sorry to hear the news. This is not the first time we have heard about your employer and it sounds like a new job is just the thing you need. Also, I have seen the damage a divorce can do to a collection and it wasn't pretty. I have had cards stolen and it blows. Good luck and hopefully the fiancé is hanging in there with ya!

Last edited by rainier2004; 08-27-2012 at 02:31 PM.
Old 08-27-2012, 02:35 PM
Zach

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainier2004 View Post
Zach - Sorry to hear the news. This is not the first time we have heard about your employer and it sounds like a new job is just the thing you need. Also, I have seen the damage a divorce can do to a collection and it wasn't pretty. I have had cards stolen and it blows. Good luck and hopefully the fiancé is hanging in there with ya!
A yea she is, a lot of her complaints were valid before I realized I was not spending enough time with her (legit complaint from a woman lol). I actually got out of this crappy company at the beginning of the year and a very high paying job but then they did layoffs three months later, and my newbie ass got cut, so I had to go back here. It was better at first with new management, but the owner was still the same owner and that will never change.
Old 08-27-2012, 02:42 PM
T0dd M@rcum

Zach, I have lost cards a few times through theft and ignorance.

I mean this to be a loving, not a cocky statement and I don't know you, and please excuse me if this sounds the least bit preachy.

I think you should be spending time on your resume, not selling your collection. God gave you talents and has a purpose for you, and it's probably not to be working for a guy who would cut your pay so indescriminately without understanding what it means to your lifestyle...it's not like your salary is that huge...it may be that someone who it making 60K could take a cut to 50K without it completely altering their lifestyle, but where your salary is at $8K is a huge hit.

At least check things out. Could be there's something better out there for you. I know times are kind of tough (I own a business with 14 people) but you don't need 10,000 jobs, you just need one.

Finding a better job is hard work, but it's very lucrative if it works out.
Old 08-27-2012, 02:52 PM
Zach

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbcard1 View Post
Zach, I have lost cards a few times through theft and ignorance.

I mean this to be a loving, not a cocky statement and I don't know you, and please excuse me if this sounds the least bit preachy.

I think you should be spending time on your resume, not selling your collection. God gave you talents and has a purpose for you, and it's probably not to be working for a guy who would cut your pay so indescriminately without understanding what it means to your lifestyle...it's not like your salary is that huge...it may be that someone who it making 60K could take a cut to 50K without it completely altering their lifestyle, but where your salary is at $8K is a huge hit.

At least check things out. Could be there's something better out there for you. I know times are kind of tough (I own a business with 14 people) but you don't need 10,000 jobs, you just need one.

Finding a better job is hard work, but it's very lucrative if it works out.
I got my resume all up to date I have been dropping apps like crazy. The thing is the last time I looked for a new job it took 9 months; therefore, I am predicting around the same amount of time. Unfortunatly the bills I have to pay I simply can't afford at all, I would have to sacrifice food and gas and still may not have enough, that is why I need to sell in a hurry so I can pay those, and pay them off. In this economy it can take months for me to get a new job. I figure if I sell now and pay off some of these debts, then I can beat alot of interest . The more interest I beat, the less cards I have to sell in the long run. I am thinking ahead and being prepared for a long time before I find a new job. If I sell this big bunch now I can save myself on interest and save more treasures in the near future. The more interest that accrues, the more cards I need to sell down the road. I am trying to hold onto my rarities and and my favorites. I hope I can hold onto that Bresnahan Mouth open you sold me

Last edited by zljones; 08-27-2012 at 02:54 PM.
Old 08-27-2012, 03:21 PM
Pete
Pet.er ian.nic.elli

Zach -

Not event trying to insult you, but one of my friends stayed outside a busy train station (Penn Station) with a big sign hanging around his head saying he was looking for a job in media and had credential x and credential y. He handed out a bunch of resumes and got a job two weeks later. It shouldn't take 9 months to find a job if you go the extra mile to find one.

W600 Cobb and Wagner
Sporting News/Collins McCarthy Jackson
Seamless Cobb rookie
Low Grade Ruth rookie

Cards:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/189414509@N08/albums
Old 08-27-2012, 03:28 PM
pete ullman

Is this the same Zach...where there was a thread maybe a year ago or so...who was spending way more $$$$$$ then was within his means buying bb cards and getting into financial trouble in this way.

The same Zach whose girlfriend...now fiancee...who was not sharing in Zach's love for collecting cards of dead men...and who Zach was unsure whether she was the right girl for him?

Just curious? This is...the same Zach...isn't it?
Old 08-27-2012, 03:44 PM
Zach

Quote:
Originally Posted by ullmandds View Post
Is this the same Zach...where there was a thread maybe a year ago or so...who was spending way more $$$$$$ then was within his means buying bb cards and getting into financial trouble in this way.

The same Zach whose girlfriend...now fiancee...who was not sharing in Zach's love for collecting cards of dead men...and who Zach was unsure whether she was the right girl for him?

Yes and I was not in financial trouble at all, I was using a credit card, but I could easily afford the payments with what I was getting paid. And I was not doubting if she was the right girl, I think others on here were doubting she was the right one for me. Needless to say I regretted that thread, just like now I think I am starting to regret this one too. I simply wanted to see if there were stories of inspiration I could find, instead I feel like worse shit, bad thread choice.

Last edited by zljones; 08-27-2012 at 03:45 PM.
Old 08-27-2012, 03:45 PM
Jake

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportscardpete View Post
Zach -

Not event trying to insult you, but one of my friends stayed outside a busy train station (Penn Station) with a big sign hanging around his head saying he was looking for a job in media and had credential x and credential y. He handed out a bunch of resumes and got a job two weeks later. It shouldn't take 9 months to find a job if you go the extra mile to find one.
That's GENIUS, I may steal that idea one day.
Old 08-27-2012, 03:53 PM
Zach

Quote:
Originally Posted by ullmandds View Post

I don't know what your getting at here. Am I stupid for sharing things, do I make all the wrong decisions in life or something?
Old 08-27-2012, 04:01 PM
Matt Hall

Quote:
Yes and I was not in financial trouble at all, I was using a credit card, but I could easily afford the payments with what I was getting paid. And I was not doubting if she was the right girl, I think others on here were doubting she was the right one for me. Needless to say I regretted that thread, just like now I think I am starting to regret this one too. I simply wanted to see if there were stories of inspiration I could find, instead I feel like worse shit, bad thread choice.
My advice would be to limit Personal threads in a public forum... You're inviting all the mean girls out to play when you do that.

I've had to go backwards in my collecting several times in life. I started collecting at a very early age. I'd do stuff like spend my entire paycheck I earned bagging groceries as a teenager on baseball cards.

At different stages in life, priorities change. I got used to collecting this way. I have more money into collecting stuff then I ever have, right now. But I know that if my situation changed, I'd have no problem selling, as I have before. I'm not too emotionally attached to stuff.

I do, at times, regret what I've sold, but we are talking about baseball cards and I can always buy more.
Old 08-27-2012, 04:03 PM
pete ullman

All's I'm saying is...if it were between paying my bills/dept/providing food/shelter...vs keeping my bb cards...the cards would be on the chopping block before I could bat an eye...or some other of my posessions might be first.

We all make bad decisions from time to time...some of us more than others...the key is to learn from our mistakes so as we not continue repeating them.

I make plenty of stupid decisions in my life...but I never get in over my head financially.

To answer the question...I have not gone backwards...my collection is greater than it's ever been...I have sold some over the years to fund other cards...other purchases.

I guess I'm lucky...most likely when it's time to sell...it will be by choice...not necessity.

Last edited by ullmandds; 08-27-2012 at 04:14 PM.
Old 08-27-2012, 04:32 PM
_G@ґy*€hℯη_

Quote:
I don't know what your getting at here. Am I stupid for sharing things, do I make all the wrong decisions in life or something?
Zach, just ignore all the haters and trolls. There will always be many people on this board and in life, who will live life untouched by bad luck, and will dispense life advice with a holier-than-thou attitude. Your collection will zig and zag as you go along. Sometimes it's the journey on getting each of your cards that's most enjoyable part of the hobby, even if you need to backtrack now and then.
Old 08-27-2012, 05:03 PM
Belltown Vintage

Zach, sorry you are going through a difficult situation. I agree with others that you should save a few of the ones that in the future you would regret giving up: unique and close-to-unique items. I look at the replaceable items as 'liquid assets', and when they have to be liquidated, I am glad I had them around to sell.
Old 08-27-2012, 05:35 PM
Zach

Indeed my bills have to take number one precidence that is why lots have to go. Thanks for the stories everyone (those that gave stories). I now feel more compelled to return to collecting when things are better, and when I will not need credit cards. I look at as I am simply returning cards and the credit card bills will vanish within 30-60 days unless heaven forbid something happens to my house .
The reason it will take me time to find another job is because

A. I have a job so I do not have time to hand out my resume on the streets .
B. I want the right pay, and not drive as far away.
C. I want to be at a stable company not like the past two I was or am at.

If that means selling some of these so I can do a more careful job hunt and not worry about interest, so be it. Then maybe when I return to collecting and make more money I can finally afford some E107s
Old 08-27-2012, 06:39 PM
Clayton

Hi Zach-

Sorry about your situation, I hope it all works out for the best.
Without going into my own issues, I haven't gone backwards in the hobby but have become stagnant. I have medical problems, and I cannot pick up cards like I used to (for the moment). This may sound stupid, BUT- try pretending that you don't have any cards. Pretend they don't exist. It will force you to figure out another option, and in the end you will still have your collection (that's what I do).

Good luck-

Sincerely, Clayton
Old 08-27-2012, 06:40 PM
Andrew Hunt00n

Zach.

Sometimes folks fall on hard times and that sucks. But I think it's commendable that you're willing to part with your cards to stay financially stable. Sure it sucks. But you'll be able get back into buying at some point and you always have this free board to remain active in the hobby you love. You can always pick up low grade stuff at very reasonable prices during your down time. And maybe experiment with issues you've never handled before. Keep your spirits up and stay a part of the hobby however you can. It doesn't have to be about spending big bucks.

I wish you luck through all of this.

Best regards.

AndyH

The Great T206 Back Stamp Project: Click Here
My Online Trading Site: Click Here
Member of OBC (Old Baseball Cards), the longest running on-line collecting club www.oldbaseball.com
My Humble Blog: Click Here
Old 08-27-2012, 06:47 PM
Ken McMillan

The answer to the backstop question is no. I have had some major health issues but my collection was always so focused and budgeted for that there was no need to sell. With that said, however, I would sell all of it to have my health back. Fortunately, we have a strong community here in net54 so if I did have to sell, I'm sure the collection could be sold.
Old 08-27-2012, 06:48 PM
J Stone

Hey Zach -

I can certainly identify with your situation. My financial life has been up and down, mostly down...

When I was young my plan was to use my collection to one day buy a house. This was way before they got really expensive and this was well before they'd give you a mortgage just for showing up.

Problem was I have always been self-employed, usually a solo operator. I needed to come up with 20-25% down in order to get a mortgage and even at the lower prices never had that much scratch at a time.

Meanwhile, starting and failing businesses, I ended up selling off parts of the collection to bail myself out of debt.

I've still got a little bit left, but the way things are going now I might have to dip into my "savings" once again.

So, my friend, you aren't alone, hang in there, find a better situation and you can always buy that stuff back some day.
Old 08-27-2012, 07:07 PM
Er1c Sh@rp.

Zach,

I have lost and gained my collection about 5 times in life, mostly because I would leave for long periods of time to beautiful places like Iraq, Bosnia and Afghanistan. It's not always finances that cause this and a few of those times I just had more important things in life to tend to. The cards that are most important to me are ones my dad bought for me as a child so I tend to keep those. We all should remember, with the exception of those who make a living of it, that this is a hobby and like all hobbies have to take a back seat to life.

My first hand experience is that if you set your mind to selling and know you'll get back to your collection down the road then it's easier to deal with. I'm completing my T206 Cubs subset for the umpteenth time and it's fun each time and I'm wiser now with my purchases then I used to be. Prices fluctuate but they don't seem to go too crazy if you need to take a few years off.

As far as the job. I'm 100% commsion now so I'm in crisis mode every other month
Old 08-27-2012, 09:26 PM
T0dd M@rcum

Quote:
I hope I can hold onto that Bresnahan Mouth open you sold me
If you can't, sell it back to me, I'll hold it and sell it back to you.
Old 08-27-2012, 09:26 PM
Pup6913

I am pretty much in full reverse for the last yr or more. I rarely get to buy a card anymore and find myself almost void of a collection. I have my daughters set which will remain hers indefinitely and just a few high grade obscure 205's with tough backs I refuse to sell. I am always looking though for a flip but it's hard to buy a group to do it with when money is so tight. I went from a 100k+ a yr job as a business owner to about 42k a yr working for a company due to family issues with my kids. It's is worth it to have more time with them but I will likely never see the collection I had again and am sad about that. But you have to do what you have to do. I hope all this works out for you. Be wishes on the selling.
Old 08-27-2012, 10:31 PM
Zach

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbcard1 View Post
If you can't, sell it back to me, I'll hold it and sell it back to you.
Sweet! I will message you when and if neccessary.
Old 08-27-2012, 10:34 PM
Zach

Thanks for all these stories everyone and kind word. I may as well reveal that the real reason I started this thread was because I was thinking about liquidating 100% of my collection, every single card because I felt frustrated. Now that I see there are other similar stories I will hold onto my best cards, instead of sending them all off. I will only sell the ones I need to.
Old 08-27-2012, 10:53 PM
Jamie

If it makes anyone in this thread feel better... I put the 520 set together in 6 months.. only to have to sell it about 4 months later because of unexpected, (and expensive) house repairs needed. Letting go of that hard work.. (non stop for 6 months)... was really tough for me...

but family is more important then this hobby.... When you need to do someting for your family.. the cards have to go.

Jamie
Old 08-29-2012, 09:27 AM
Belltown Vintage

I sold all of my cards and most of my photos the first time around because of a 'perfect storm' of reasons - big move across the country, desire to get rid of debt, disillusion with the state of the hobby at that time. I only regretted selling a few items. Made a mental note not to sell unique stuff that I would miss too badly.

I'm hitting the road for a few months with my dog, so will be repeating the process, but this time simply leaving a few 'keepers' in the safety deposit box and not worrying about them.

As some have said, life is more important than cardboard, so don't let collectibles interfere.
Old 08-29-2012, 09:33 AM
Zach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runscott View Post
I sold all of my cards and most of my photos the first time around because of a 'perfect storm' of reasons - big move across the country, desire to get rid of debt, disillusion with the state of the hobby at that time. I only regretted selling a few items. Made a mental note not to sell unique stuff that I would miss too badly.

I'm hitting the road for a few months with my dog, so will be repeating the process, but this time simply leaving a few 'keepers' in the safety deposit box and not worrying about them.

As some have said, life is more important than cardboard, so don't let collectibles interfere.
Alot of that sounds similar to my story.