NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-28-2018, 03:57 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

Default Rule of Thumb, PSA vs. SGC Conversion Rate??

When these 15% off ebay coupon codes are announced, we all go scrambling to find cards we think would be a bargain. Like everyone else, I grab up cards I want, but always try to keep 'value' in mind to make sure I walk away with cards that would (hopefully easily) sell for more than what I paid for them, or would bring me a good return in a trade. So here's the question. Is there a rule of thumb conversion rate that any of you use when judging what a card NOT graded by PSA should cost?? (Please keep in mind I am asking this question under the basic premise that PSA cards generally sell for higher prices than other TPG graded cards do. Sure there are exceptions, of course, but with regards to post war cards, let's take it as a hard fact for this exercise.)

Based on perceived value alone (in other words, if you're a person who just wants all of your cards in SGC holders, this doesn't pertain to you), say you are looking at the PSA Auction Prices Realized site and see that a PSA 8 card steadily sells for $500. If you see a very similar looking (centering, eye appeal, etc.) SGC or BVG 8 card on ebay (that looks fine and looks to be graded accurately), how much would you be willing to shell out for it? The same $500? Significantly less? A little less? I'm just looking for personal opinions, so feel free to chime in with your own thoughts.

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 08-28-2018, 04:38 PM
Anson

For my collection, I buy the card regardless of the holder. However, it's difficult to see everything from Ebay photos. Older PSA examples are pretty comparable to SGC holders. But, it seems newer PSA holders tend to be equivalent to 1 grade higher than SGC for low-->mid grade cards.
Old 08-28-2018, 05:45 PM
DR
David R@tliff

I generally value BVG at one grade down from the same PSA.

For SGC, I used to do the same one grade down but I'd say now I'm something higher than that - however it's still less than halfway to the difference.
Old 08-28-2018, 06:15 PM
Lucio Barbarino
Lu.cio Barb.arino

Yeah, I guess my sort of mental calculation is around:

SGC: 85% of PSA
BVG: 70% of PSA

That's just to get an idea and can depend of other factors.
Old 08-28-2018, 06:30 PM
Banned

I am not familiar with the coupons. How does one get them and is there a cap on the purchase price they will give you 15 percent off on?
Old 08-28-2018, 06:30 PM
je.sse @rnot

SGC is 1/2 grade less, BVG a full grade assuming similar quality and centering for the grade. On higher end stuff the difference can be even more.

Last edited by pokerplyr80; 08-28-2018 at 06:31 PM.
Old 08-28-2018, 06:45 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichelaiTorres83 View Post
I am not familiar with the coupons. How does one get them and is there a cap on the purchase price they will give you 15 percent off on?
http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=259256

It only works in any time zone. Oh, and the cap is $100 in savings on this one.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.

Last edited by swarmee; 08-28-2018 at 06:46 PM.
Old 08-28-2018, 06:48 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichelaiTorres83 View Post
It ends tonight, so check here for the info:
http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=259256

The cap is $100, so if you spend $666.67, you'll get the biggest discount possible. If you spend more than that, the discount will be stuck at $100.

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 08-28-2018, 08:37 PM
KEVIN MIZE
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by luciobar1980 View Post
Yeah, I guess my sort of mental calculation is around:

SGC: 85% of PSA
BVG: 70% of PSA

That's just to get an idea and can depend of other factors.
Lucio, on T206s alone, your percentages are too high, especially on high graded cards (7's and higher)....PSA 8 commons are $1650+, and SGC 88's are about half that, maybe a tad more....

Last edited by CMIZ5290; 08-28-2018 at 08:41 PM.
Old 08-28-2018, 10:36 PM
Ben Silva
Ben Sil.va

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokerplyr80 View Post
SGC is 1/2 grade less, BVG a full grade assuming similar quality and centering for the grade. On higher end stuff the difference can be even more.
Exactly this. However, if the sgc is very well centered, I'll buy at the low range for psa grade (ie, a well centered sgc 7 to me is worth a cheap psa 7). I won't but bvg cards, as I am always worried they are sheet cut or are otherwise ungradable.