NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 05-31-2019, 05:38 PM
Sean Sullivan

Default Jersey experts? Little help? Stall & Dean Yankees

I picked up this AWESOME Yankees jersey from a fellow member (thanks Dave!).

I think it is from the 70's(?).

Is Stall & Dean a store jersey, or ??? Obviously has some use, but I do not think the Yankees ever used them?
Would a high school or college be allowed to use the NY logo?

Just curious.

Thanks,
Sean
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Stall Dean I.jpg (64.6 KB, 253 views)
File Type: jpg Stall Dean II.jpg (64.3 KB, 258 views)
File Type: jpg Stall Dean III.jpg (49.6 KB, 250 views)
Old 06-01-2019, 06:37 AM
J0N PEDEℜSѺN

No expert here but this is some of what I found online.

The Stall & Dean company - "Stall & Dean, an athletic apparel manufacturer founded in 1898 that once produced jerseys and shoes for Major League Baseball, but has in recent years been reduced to producing special-order uniforms for small amateur teams. "

And: "The Stall & Dean Manufacturing Company was established in 1898. For over 115 years, the Stall & Dean brand epitomized the best quality in design, fashion and manufacturing of sports uniforms, apparel and equipment.

Stall & Dean produced the uniforms for the “Original Six” NHL Teams as well as colleges and high school teams. Soon after, they introduced hockey equipment under the brand name “PUCKMASTER”. Stall & Dean has a rich history in Hockey and it lives on today!
"

Today, based in Seattle, they are similar to Mitchell & Ness (M & N) - making retro jerseys. Apparently the name etc was purchased sometime in the 2000s and moved to the west coast.

Most of the game used 70s jerseys I've seen online were made by Wilson or Sand Knit. 1960s by Spalding, Rawlings, MacGregor & Wilson. #9 is probably for Maris. Maybe this was a store jersey made before MLB licensing got involved?

Last edited by jp1216; 06-01-2019 at 06:40 AM.
Old 06-01-2019, 08:13 AM
Chris Counts

It is my understanding that Stall and Dean made MLB game jerseys under the McAuliffe label. I agree this is likely a store bought jersey.
Old 06-01-2019, 09:18 AM
J0N PEDEℜSѺN

Found these websites:

http://www.mlbcollectors.com/OAKjerseys.php

http://www.mlbcollectors.com/NYYjerseys2.php

A few quotes:

Stall & Dean made jerseys under their McAuliffe Uniform label - I guess they ran out of McAuliffe Uniform tags, since this one has a Stall & Dean tag.

By 1974, and through 1979, the McAuliffe tags have a blue border. In the 1980's, Stall & Dean made "McAuliffe" replicas sold to the public. So if you see a 1974-79 jersey and the McAuliffe tag has no blue border, it's a 1980's made replica.

Stall and Dean made MLB jerseys under the Tim McAuliffe label since the early 1950's. When Tim McAuliffe Inc. ceased operations in 1969, owner Richard Stall keep the name's goodwill going, creating McAuliffe Uniform Corp. to carry on manufacturing MLB jerseys. McAuliffe Uniform also distributed and repaired caps in the mid 1970's under a "Pro McAuliffe" tag. The last MLB McAullife Uniform jerseys were worn by Oakland in 1981. A set made for 1982 was never used. Stall sold the company in 1996.

I found a few other examples of that particular Stall & Dean label and they seem to match late 1970s to early 80s hockey jerseys.
Old 06-01-2019, 03:37 PM
Sean Sullivan

Thanks everyone!!!!
Old 06-01-2019, 03:42 PM
Sean Sullivan

Oh, I found a pro hockey jersey that dated to 1977; and it had an identical tag in it. So it must be from the 1970's. Maybe a store model Nettles?
Old 06-01-2019, 06:13 PM
Ja.son Hugh.es

I’m no jersey expert, but it is my understanding that George Steinbrenner did not allow any company to produce replica Yankees pinstripes jerseys, only grey away jerseys. That changed in the 90’s if I remember correctly, but I haven’t ever seen a Yankees replica from that era. I wanted one like crazy when I was a kid in the 70’s early 80’s.
Old 06-02-2019, 10:57 AM
Sean Sullivan

Oh, well that is very interesting information.

It is obviously not a real gamer, but if it was not allowed in stores, then what is it???
Maybe a salesman sample? But someone obviously wore it...

This mystery just got worse!!! LOL.

Last edited by JoeDfan; 06-02-2019 at 12:01 PM.
Old 06-03-2019, 03:45 PM
John E.

Did any of their minor league affiliates at the time wear NY emblazoned jerseys?
Old 06-04-2019, 09:34 AM
Sean Sullivan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigj7489 View Post
Did any of their minor league affiliates at the time wear NY emblazoned jerseys?
I looked up the Oneonta Yankees, and found a 1977 away jersey (game used); but it was a Wilson.
Old 06-04-2019, 10:19 AM
Scott Russell

I'm from Jersey, whaddaya need ta know?

Oh wait...
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 06-05-2019, 05:10 PM
John E.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeDfan View Post
Oh, well that is very interesting information.

It is obviously not a real gamer, but if it was not allowed in stores, then what is it???
Maybe a salesman sample? But someone obviously wore it...

This mystery just got worse!!! LOL.
I think you may have nailed it with salesman sample.
Old 06-06-2019, 09:43 AM
Sean Sullivan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigj7489 View Post
I think you may have nailed it with salesman sample.
That was my original thought, but I would have thought they would have made the salesman sample under the McAuliffe label?

I cannot seem to find even one other example, other than some hockey jerseys around the same time period (although maybe I didn't look hard enough yet).

Anyway, I think it is something higher than a store jersey, but lower than a gamer. So I guess I will have to leave it there, until I can dig up more information.

This is why I collect! I love the research.
Thanks everyone!

Last edited by JoeDfan; 06-06-2019 at 09:43 AM.