NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 09-03-2010, 05:14 PM
Doug C.

Default Best Cards of the Fifties

Here's an interesting youtube video put out by Topps with their take on the top two cards from each year between 1950-59:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pT40t...eature=related

Here's the list for people that don't have time to watch the video:
1950: Bowman Ted Williams (runner up), Bowman Jackie Robinson (winner)
1951: Bowman Willie Mays (runner up), Bowman Mickey Mantle (winner)
1952: Topps Ed Mathews (runner up), Topps Mickey Mantle (winner)
1953: Bowman Pee Wee Reese (runner up), 1953 Topps Satchel Paige (winner)
1954: Topps Ernie Banks (runner up), 1954 Topps Hank Aaron (winner)
1955: Topps Sandy Koufax (runner up), 1955 Roberto Clemente (winner)
1956: Topps Hank Aaron (runner up), 1956 Topps Mickey Mantle (winner)
1957: Topps Mickey Mantle (runner up), 1957 Topps Yankee Power Hitters (winner)
1958: Topps World Series Batting Foes Mantle/Aaron (runner up), Topps Roger Maris (winner)
1959: Topps Bob Gibson (runner up), Topps Mays' Catch Makes Series History (winner)

Last edited by Doug; 09-03-2010 at 05:25 PM.
Old 09-03-2010, 05:38 PM
Doug C.

I agree with the list for the most part, but if I got a vote here's what I would change:

1953: I don't have a problem with the cards they picked, but I would have reversed the order on the argument that the '53 Bowman Reese is more iconic than the '53 Topps Satchel Paige.

1956: I would have picked the Topps Jackie Robinson (since it was his last card) as the runner up over Hank Aaron.

1957: I would have went with the Topps Brooks Robinson (runner up) and Frank Robinson (winner).

1959: I would have picked the Topps Bob Gibson (winner) and the Topps Stan Musial (runner up).

How about everyone else?
Old 09-03-2010, 06:13 PM
Jeff

I would have to include some non-Topps cards on my list, not that they would of course.

Last edited by HRBAKER; 09-03-2010 at 06:14 PM.
Old 09-03-2010, 07:33 PM
Doug C.

I guess they had no choice but to include Bowman cards for '50 and '51. I'm honestly surprised the '53 Bowman Reese made it since Topps made the list. I figured they would have gone with the '53 Mays or Mantle. They did seem to get a dig in by making it the runner up to the '53 Topps Satchel Paige though.
Old 09-04-2010, 11:48 AM
Chris Counts

While I am endlessly fascinated with lists, this one is a joke. First of all, I don't understand what "best" means here. Does it mean the best player, the most valuable card or the best-looking card? Second, the survey assumes that, with the exception of 1950 (when there was no Topps set) and 1951 (when Bowman the main card producer), made the "best" cards of the 1950s. As far as I'm concerned, the only title Topps wins is The Company That Produced The Most Cards. The best players can be found in sets from many manufacturers, the most valuable cards, with a few exceptions, were produced by regional meat companies, and by far, Bowman produced the best-looking cards. The list is also top-heavy with rookie cards, which as far as I'm concerned, are the most overhyped thing in the hobby. The list is merely a creative marketing gimmick by Topps ...
Old 09-04-2010, 11:54 AM
Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Counts View Post
While I am endlessly fascinated with lists, this one is a joke. First of all, I don't understand what "best" means here. Does it mean the best player, the most valuable card or the best-looking card? Second, the survey assumes that, with the exception of 1950 (when there was no Topps set) and 1951 (when Bowman the main card producer), made the "best" cards of the 1950s. As far as I'm concerned, the only title Topps wins is The Company That Produced The Most Cards. The best players can be found in sets from many manufacturers, the most valuable cards, with a few exceptions, were produced by regional meat companies, and by far, Bowman produced the best-looking cards. The list is also top-heavy with rookie cards, which as far as I'm concerned, are the most overhyped thing in the hobby. The list is merely a creative marketing gimmick by Topps ...

What Chris said.
Old 09-04-2010, 12:54 PM
Peter Spaeth

In no particular order
53T Mantle
54B Mantle
58T Mantle
Dan Dee Mantle
Red Heart Mantle
52 Red Man Williams
54T 1 Williams
52T Mays
54 Wilson Franks Williams
54T Mays
52B Musial
53BC Musial
52T Jackie
53T Jackie
55T Koufax
57T Frank Robinson
53BC Ford
53BC Berra
54T Aaron
58T YL Aaron
55T Clemente
53BC Spahn

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 09-04-2010 at 04:34 PM.
Old 09-05-2010, 09:14 AM
Doug C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Counts View Post
While I am endlessly fascinated with lists, this one is a joke. First of all, I don't understand what "best" means here. Does it mean the best player, the most valuable card or the best-looking card?
According to the video they selected the cards based on "overall collectiblity", "historical significance" and "coolness factor". I can get the historical significance one, but I'm not quit sure what defines "overall collectibility" and "coolness factor".
Old 09-05-2010, 09:36 AM
Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug View Post
According to the video they selected the cards based on "overall collectiblity", "historical significance" and "coolness factor". I can get the historical significance one, but I'm not quit sure what defines "overall collectibility" and "coolness factor".

Evidently being manufactured by Topps or Bowman was a key component of "coolness."
Old 09-06-2010, 03:04 PM

I think the 50 Bowman Feller should be on any list of best cards from the 50s. It's one hell of a card.
Old 09-06-2010, 04:42 PM
Doug C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul View Post
I think the 50 Bowman Feller should be on any list of best cards from the 50s. It's one hell of a card.
Thanks for pointing that one out. I'm not a Bowman collector so I hadn't ever seen that card before. It is definitely a good looking card for sure!
Old 09-06-2010, 06:03 PM
Chris Counts

The first series of the 1950 Bowman set includes a ton of great images and the cards are considerably tougher to find than the higher numbers. In particular, Jackie Robinson, Bob Feller, Yogi Berra. Tommy Henrich, Warren Spahn, Robin Roberts, Larry Doby and Phil Rizzuto have great action poses that are among the most attractive cards of any decade. It seems like Bowman really went all out in early 1950. Even the lesser players have compelling images ... the Howie Pollet is one of my favorites. I'd rather look at low-numbered 1950 Bowmans than high-numbered 1952 Topps any day ...
Old 09-07-2010, 02:01 PM
Paul Carek

A handful of my favorites, many of which have already been mentioned:

1950: Bowman Feller and Rizzuto
1952: Bowman Musial and Mantle, Topps Roberts (the big grin just says "baseball" to me for some reason)
1953: Bowman Color Musial, Mathews
1954: Topps Williams #250, Bowman Doby (great color, majestic Yankee Stadium setting)
1955: Topps Aaron
1956: Topps Clemente, Banks, Kaline, Robinson (love this set)
1957: Topps Clemente, Snider
1958: Topps WS Batting Foes, Brooks Robinson

Of the above, I'd put the '50 Bowman Feller, '52 Bowman Musial, and '56 Topps Jackie on my "all-time" list, regardless of decade.
Old 09-07-2010, 02:23 PM
Jason

Default Wow, lots of Topps and Bowman-hate going around here!

and nowhere has anyone mentioned one of my faves: the Wilson Franks Campanella.

I would also score the 51 Bowman Doby and Campanella cards very high. And generally any high grade 50 or 51 Bowman with great color and registration are extremely hard to beat for eye appeal.

I would sell any 1958 and 1959 Topps cards in any grade to get something of similiar dollar value in one of the early Bowman sets, so in my opinion, none of the decades great cards can actually come from those sets.
Old 09-07-2010, 07:35 PM
Chris Counts

Another great card from the 1950s in the 1953 Stahl Meyer of Campanella. I wish I had one to display. It's the same shot as the 1951 Bowman, but with a much wider view of the stadium behind him ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonL View Post

and nowhere has anyone mentioned one of my faves: the Wilson Franks Campanella.

I would also score the 51 Bowman Doby and Campanella cards very high. And generally any high grade 50 or 51 Bowman with great color and registration are extremely hard to beat for eye appeal.

I would sell any 1958 and 1959 Topps cards in any grade to get something of similiar dollar value in one of the early Bowman sets, so in my opinion, none of the decades great cards can actually come from those sets.

Last edited by Chris Counts; 09-07-2010 at 07:35 PM.
Old 09-08-2010, 07:36 AM
Doug C.

That video on youtube that I posted mentioned the picture from the 1950 Bowman Ted Williams was reused on the 1951 which I found interesting. Were there any other 1951 Bowman cards that reused the same image? I'm Bowman-ly challenged so I really don't know a thing about them.
Old 09-08-2010, 02:50 PM
Paul Carek

Rizzuto, Slaughter, Frisch, and Durocher come to mind. Although with Leo they at least changed his uniform from road to home.