NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Watercooler Talk- ALL sports talk

Old 02-13-2014, 10:37 PM
Buddy Wi11:rich
Banned

Default Jumping the gun on 2020?..

http://m.nydailynews.com/1.1613751#bmb=1

Jeter mania is already running wild, trying to book a hotel room 6 years in advance! Lol. That 2020 induction is gonna be one for the ages. Now starts the immediate spike in ALL things Derek Jeter (memorabilia, cards, autos etc.)
Old 02-16-2014, 08:44 AM
Steve P
Steven Pacc.hiano

imo way over rated
Successful transactions with: Drumback, Mart8081, Obcmac, Tonyo, markf31, gnaz01, rainier2004, EASE, Bobsbats, Craig M, TistaT202, Seiklis, Kenny Cole, T's please, Vic, marcdelpercio, poorlydrawncat, brianp-beme, mybuddyinc, Glchen, chernieto , old-baseball , Donscards, Centauri, AddieJoss, T2069bk,206fix, joe v, smokelessjoe, eggoman, botn, canjond

Looking for T205's or anything Babe Ruth...email or PM me if you have any to sell.
Old 02-16-2014, 08:51 AM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilKing00 View Post
imo way over rated
maybe not "way".....but over rated nonetheless
Old 02-16-2014, 07:02 PM
Alex

Quote:
imo way over rated
He is a HOF but I know what you mean. He has benefited from being on great teams and playing in a huge market.
SLers = 33/48
Horizontals = 6/6

ALWAYS looking for T206 with back damage.
Old 02-16-2014, 08:40 PM
Pete Sycks

I agree that he was a really good player, not great. 0 MVP, 1 GG (didn't deserve it). I do like how he respects baseball and never throws helmets and isn't a juicer

http://syckscards.weebly.com

Always looking for 1938 Goudey's

Last edited by sycks22; 02-16-2014 at 08:41 PM.
Old 02-16-2014, 08:41 PM
I@n Cl@rke

Default Not a Yankee fan but I think...

Jeter is an absolute man and I think when factoring his intangibles is far more valuable than stats alone (even though his stats are very very impressive). Sure his overall legend benefitted from having mega exposure in NYC.. but to that point you've also got give him credit because he's been able to stay/play in full spotlight and under a microscope, during a period there was a lot of general Yankee/Clemens/A-Rod BS, and he never really slipped up personally or professionally. Imagine guys like Mantle, Namath having to live in an era of cell phone cameras and Twitter. Jeter's pulled it off.
Old 02-17-2014, 01:06 AM
Jeff

Does Jeter get a boost from playing in NY and being on great teams, sure. But at the same time you have to give him credit for doing what he did where he did it.

HOF Type Collector + Philly A's, E/M/W cards, M101-6, Exhibits, Postcards, 30's Premiums & HOF Photos

"Assembling an unfocused collection for nearly 50 years."

Last edited by HRBAKER; 02-17-2014 at 01:07 AM.
Old 02-17-2014, 11:55 AM
Jason Presley

Quote:
Originally Posted by sycks22 View Post
I agree that he was a really good player, not great. 0 MVP, 1 GG (didn't deserve it). I do like how he respects baseball and never throws helmets and isn't a juicer
Jeter had 5 Gold Gloves, meaningless though that award may be.
Old 02-17-2014, 03:30 PM
Banned

Quote:
Correction, 5 golden gloves, and being rated as the 2nd best SS of all time, I'd say that's pretty damn close to a "great" player. Offensively he's #2 all time behind only Wagner.
Old 02-17-2014, 04:07 PM
Steve P
Steven Pacc.hiano

I dont agree at all with him being the second best ss ever. Im no card wxpert but i do know baseball stats, and he just isnt 2 all time ss, no way
Successful transactions with: Drumback, Mart8081, Obcmac, Tonyo, markf31, gnaz01, rainier2004, EASE, Bobsbats, Craig M, TistaT202, Seiklis, Kenny Cole, T's please, Vic, marcdelpercio, poorlydrawncat, brianp-beme, mybuddyinc, Glchen, chernieto , old-baseball , Donscards, Centauri, AddieJoss, T2069bk,206fix, joe v, smokelessjoe, eggoman, botn, canjond

Looking for T205's or anything Babe Ruth...email or PM me if you have any to sell.
Old 02-17-2014, 05:09 PM
Banned

Quote:
I dont agree at all with him being the second best ss ever. Im no card wxpert but i do know baseball stats, and he just isnt 2 all time ss, no way
I think I'll side with the paid professional statistical experts that say you're wrong. Now if we wanna know who the best realty agent of all time is, we'll come calling for you
Old 02-17-2014, 05:40 PM
Banned

Lupica might have nailed it.......
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (58.5 KB, 62 views)
Old 02-17-2014, 06:43 PM
Jeff H

Quote:
imo way over rated
Jeter's current ranking among HOF shortstops:

#1 Runs, #2 Hits(99 behind Wagner), #3 HR, T3 BA, #7 RBI, #3 in fielding %.
JMO but I don't see over rated at all.
Old 02-17-2014, 08:30 PM
I@n Cl@rke

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiw98 View Post
Jeter's current ranking among HOF shortstops:

#1 Runs, #2 Hits(99 behind Wagner), #3 HR, T3 BA, #7 RBI, #3 in fielding %.
JMO but I don't see over rated at all.
Seriously! As I'd mentioned earlier, his stats are damn good.. Yet people always seem to overlook that, regardless of which side of the overrated argument you're on. He did little bit of everything (like a Kevin Garnett, Jason Kidd), and on top of that had an incredible intangible "it" factor. I don't care how much statisticians crunch numbers and WARs and VORPs (whatever the hell that is), "it" means a hell of a lot and you see that in any team sport. "It" leads from the front and keeps larger egos in check, "it" always does the right thing and says the right thing at the right times, "it" somehow always finds a way to make the play even if unconventionally (see Jer Giambi play), "it" makes others believers, "it" does more to win than most people give it credit for (seeing the 3rd base thread kills me because I think the "it" is generally ignored in the era of basement statisticians).

Jeter is an all timer, no question.
Old 02-18-2014, 04:52 AM
Jam.es Braci.liano

Theres a lot to like about Jeter but he is overrated. They actually had a discussion on MLB whether hes in the Top 10 players of all time, which is a joke.
Old 02-18-2014, 05:01 AM
Sebastian

Im a Tigers fan so I never really liked him, but the numbers dont lie, I think in 10 years this conversation will be laughed at. Its obvious how good he was
Old 02-18-2014, 09:27 AM
Steve Birmingham

Hard to say either way for me.

His earlier career was in an era with a lot of excellent shortstops.
Jeter, Rodriguez, Garciaparra, Tejada, Neifi Perez, Barry Larkin, and a bit earlier Cal Ripken.

For a few years, Nomar actually was better, but not after 2000. And he eventually joined Tejada and Rodriguez on the PED list. (Although most likely as an injured player trying to hang on - not that it makes much difference.)

Aside from Rodriguez, none of them managed to stay injury free and productive for anywhere near as long. And somehow miss negative publicity while playing in NY.

Comparing eras is just too difficult. How would Wagner have fielded with a modern glove? Or batted with a livelier ball, a modern lighter bat, and a few more games each year?

So I don't know about "best ever" but best of his era I could go for.

Playing the game "right" is also pretty big to me. I usually have to temper it with an understanding that a guy making 10M + a season might have good reason to avoid crashing into the stands or something like that that might shorten his career.
And he always seemed to just play hard.

And I think he was the guy who answered a question about the fans in Boston getting on him said something like " I love it! it means they think I'm good enough to try to bother me. "
Not every player can take that attitude, some can't handle the scrutiny of playing in either Boston or NY (I haven't followed the Yankees as well, but there's a bunch of players who have been good, come to the Sox and been -average or worse, then left and been good again.)
Jeter managed to both deal with it and in some way enjoy it for a long time.

Steve B
Old 02-26-2014, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyGuyTy View Post
Lupica might have nailed it.......
What happened to Babe and Gehrig?
Old 02-27-2014, 08:58 AM
Bill Gregory

Quote:
Originally Posted by groundhog View Post
What happened to Babe and Gehrig?
Babe Ruth
Lou Gehrig
Joe DiMaggio
Yogi Berra
Mickey Mantle

If you asked me to name the most important player in Yankee history, I'd put those guys before I'd ever put Jeter. Great player, but these other guys are legends of the greatest baseball franchise.

Quote:
I think Jeter was on the fringe that exists between very good and great. It's very hard to argue against a guy with 3,300 hits and a .312 AVG. But when I see somebody saying he is the second greatest shortstop to ever play the game, I don't agree. I'm sorry. I've got a lot of respect for the man as a player, and especially for how he's carried himself (he is the polar opposite of ARod). But there have been some great, great shortstops, players in their prime who were better players above Jeter. Jeter is high on these lists because has been consistently very good/great. But was he ever the best player in baseball? No. Was he one of the top two or three players in baseball? No. Forget the best player in the game. Was Jeter ever clearly the best shortstop in baseball?

Here's a list of shortstops, in their prime, who I'd take ahead of Jeter (not including Wagner, who I think is universally considered the best to ever play the position):

Ernie Banks
Cal Ripken Jr.
Robin Yount
Troy Tulowitzki
Nomar Garciapara

There have been whispers about Nomar using, but until there's something credible, I'm putting him on this list.

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.
Old 02-27-2014, 09:45 AM
Tom
T0m Rus.so

I guess I am a rarity...a Yankee fan who doesn't love Derek Jeter. Nevertheless, I have to acknowledge that he is beginning his 20th season and if healthy is likely to pass several players on the all time hits list and finish at 6th just behind Tris Speaker. Also he will have about 350 hits more than any other player with only 20 years of playing time. I have to admit that the guy was a great player.