NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 10-12-2014, 02:11 PM

Default "Buy the card, not the holder"

I've wanted this card for the last several years. I think it's Grove's most significant card and it's in the Top 250 Sportscards registry set. As the #1 card in the set, it's almost never seen without a lot of print, dark toned borders and dull colors, so when PWCC listed this PSA 4 with bright white borders, vibrant colors and hardly any print I just had to have it.

Yes, I spent nearly $200 over SMR and tied the highest-price paid for that grade recorded by VCP since 2006, but compare my 4 to the latest PSA 5, PSA 6 and PSA 7 that have sold.

My PSA 4 ($493); PSA 5 (sold by PWCC in same auction as mine for $728.99);

PSA 6 sold on eBay for $942.78 in March; PSA 7 sold for $5021.80 by Memory Lane last December (certainly nicer than mine, but over 10X nicer?)
Old 10-12-2014, 02:26 PM
Br1@n L1ndh0lm3

Default Stellar

Great examples and it really shows how to amass a quality collection without being married to a number on a plastic slab!

I'll admit I am a fan of TPG, but if you see my collection, you'll immediately see that I don't really care what grade is assigned (within reason)
I slab for aesthetic and protection reasons mostly.

This Grove is a stellar card , especially given your comparisons! Nice job!

Brian L
Familytoad
Ridgefield, WA

Hall of Fame collector.
Prewar Set collector.
Topps Era collector.
1971 Topps Football collector.
Old 10-12-2014, 08:12 PM
Mike C@.v3

Quote:
Originally Posted by familytoad View Post
Great examples and it really shows how to amass a quality collection without being married to a number on a plastic slab!

I'll admit I am a fan of TPG, but if you see my collection, you'll immediately see that I don't really care what grade is assigned (within reason)

Beautiful Grove!

I'm with Brian. I don't collect slabs, but I'm a big fan of TPG. I'm not a part of any registry, so I can breathe easy when it comes to collecting. I'm willing to bet a lot of registry guys/gals know some of the time, they aren't buying the better appealing card and are just buying the number on the slab...which is quite sad
1938 Goudey Graded VG range 37/48

Last edited by freakhappy; 10-12-2014 at 08:13 PM.
Old 10-12-2014, 08:22 PM

An iconic card with an attractive image of a great player. Doesn't get much better, and your copy is the best of the bunch. Great example of BTCNTH!
Old 10-12-2014, 08:45 PM
Mike Oberl@nder

That is a very nice card. I wonder if there is something on the back that the grader saw that we haven't seen that might have lead to the technical grade. For certain cards, I don't mind a wrinkle, crease or even a bit of paper loss on the back but I know that a TPGer would take that into consideration. I also have never sent a card to a TPGer.
Old 10-12-2014, 10:02 PM
Mike P.ap

Attachment 164251deleted

Last edited by vthobby; 10-15-2014 at 02:35 PM. Reason: delete
Old 10-12-2014, 11:04 PM
Barry Arnold

Default grove

great acquisition!
congrats.

all the best,
barry
Old 10-13-2014, 01:11 AM
Dave Foster

Congrats on a great score. Proving once again, that good things come to those who wait.
Old 10-13-2014, 01:24 AM
Matt

Quote:
Originally Posted by familytoad View Post

Amen to that, brother. Your Lefty is the best of the bunch. I'd pay more for that one than the higher graded ones for my collection, too. Great eye, and great buy.
Old 10-14-2014, 11:39 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Nice comparisons and as the hobby matures even more the cards are being sold more for their attributes than the opinion a TPG puts on a label. For me, the most important thing a TPG does is it gives me an expert set (or more) of eyes to catch alterations. I realize imperceptible-to-the-naked-eye wrinkles can be found too, but that isn't my main requirement. I guess if I collected high grade it would be.
Old 10-14-2014, 12:16 PM
Andrew Hunt00n

That's an amazing comparison. Your card is certainly the best of the bunch. Nice job picking that one up.

Thanks,

AndyH

The Great T206 Back Stamp Project: Click Here
My Online Trading Site: Click Here
Member of OBC (Old Baseball Cards), the longest running on-line collecting club www.oldbaseball.com
My Humble Blog: Click Here
Old 10-14-2014, 02:59 PM
Ben Morton

I am with Leon on this one. I don't like the slabs, but when I buy on eBay or the BST here, there is too much risk of getting a doctored card or even a forgery. And those risks go up big time with value of the card. I don't think I would buy a 52 Mantle from my own grandmother unless it was slabbed.

I know neither is infallible, but getting authentication from SGC or PGC is worth it, IMO, and much better than buying a loose card online.
Old 10-14-2014, 03:31 PM
Fr@nk Burke++

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centauri View Post
I am with Leon on this one. I don't like the slabs, but when I buy on eBay or the BST here, there is too much risk of getting a doctored card or even a forgery. And those risks go up big time with value of the card. I don't think I would buy a 52 Mantle from my own grandmother unless it was slabbed.

I know neither is infallible, but getting authentication from SGC or PGC is worth it, IMO, and much better than buying a loose card online.
My grandmothers were slabbed long before there were TPGs.

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.