NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 07-26-2012, 09:32 AM
Glenn
Glen.n Sch.ey-d

Default Ebay purchase and game theory, low stakes

I recently won an ebay auction for $2.91. I paid that plus $2.75 shipping. I received a delivery notice from USPS indicating that I owe $0.85 in postage, so I'm guessing that means if I don't pony up another 85 cents, the card will be returned to the seller (roughly 1,000 miles from me) who was somehow able to get it to my neighborhood with insufficient postage.

Clearly the card is worth more than 85 cents to me, and the seller knows that, so will he just count on me to make the short-term economically rational decision of paying the additional postage to get the card, or will he worry that I might refuse to pay out of spite and then demand a refund or a second mailing of the same card? (Clearly the USPS doesn't care, or they'd realize it's cheaper to just give me the card now that it's in town already, and realize that I'd realize this, and so on ad infinitum.) Or will he just give me the 85 cent refund? He seems inclined not to so far, but then, I haven't explicitly asked for one. What is the economic value of one negative feedback posting to someone who already has feedback in the thousands? So many mildly interesting questions, and all over 85 cents.
Old 07-26-2012, 09:38 AM
Joe H
Joe He.rne

If you assess a monitary value to your time...then I'd say you're already in the red, so I'd just pay the .85 and move on. Life's too short to deal with such frivolities.
Old 07-26-2012, 09:41 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by phikappapsi View Post
If you assess a monitary value to your time...then I'd say you're already in the red, so I'd just pay the .85 and move on. Life's too short to deal with such frivolities.
Great suggestion.
Old 07-26-2012, 09:50 AM
Randy Trierweiler

You haven't even asked for a refund and you take the time to type a thesis on what to do about an .85 problem? If this is your biggest problem, you are living a charmed life. I have shipped packages weighed at the post office that arrived postage due for some reason. The buyer informed me of it, but refused the payment I offered. Life is too short, there has to be bigger problems to deal with.
Old 07-26-2012, 10:07 AM
Dave

If I was the seller and the buyer let me know I'd Paypal you back the difference + a little extra for your trouble.

I doubt the seller was trying to get one over. Probably guessed at the weight slightly wrong, or one Post Office thought it was ok for him to ship 1st Class Letter and the receiving Post Office decided they wouldn't deliver it for less then 1st Class Parcel.

I've even had the Post Office muff up a couple times and declare my perfectly legel 1st Class Parcel package needed to be delivered Priority Mail at it's destination, because they read the rule book incorrectly.

If I'm informed, I just apologize for the mix-up and refund the shipping back to the buyer.

What are you gonna do? Fight it?
Old 07-26-2012, 10:21 AM
Fr@nk Burke++

Get a hungry Lawyer

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 07-26-2012, 10:51 AM
Rob
R0bert Ge,ntieu

You are thinking way too much into this. I can almost guarantee you this was not intentional on the seller's part. Likely there was an error in weighing the package or a post-office screw-up. I am sure he would make good on 85 cents if asked, but to me, it's not even worth asking.
Old 07-26-2012, 11:55 AM

Default Simple

The thing is, game theory doesn't apply because the post office isn't a rationale competitor. They will literally send that package all the way back across the country and never get paid. And you end up with a full refund and no card and whole bunch of time wasted.

Pay the money.
Get your card.
Ask for an 85 cent refund.
If you don't get it, give the seller a negative.

Anything else doesn't seem to make much sense.
Old 07-26-2012, 02:04 PM
Steven

Id be shocked to find out the seller did that intentionally. I had a substitute PO person who delivered multiple packages postage due...her and I eventually had words and it ceased. In that time every seller gave me a refund that I asked for, but I did have to ask for it. The older I get, the less time I have for indirect and evasive conversations....
Old 07-26-2012, 02:41 PM
MikeHealer

I can't imagine asking for a refund for postage due. Seems pretty trivial.
Old 07-27-2012, 09:22 AM
rob.ert int.rieri

You are already paying 100% of the purchase price of the card in postage. Make it 133% and move on.
Old 07-27-2012, 09:30 AM

Pay the 85 cents, tell the seller, if they don't refund neg... end of story, you are going to run into more problems with any other route
Old 07-27-2012, 09:30 AM
Christopher Williams

You can "pay him back" with a nice hit to his DSR.
Old 07-27-2012, 10:08 AM
qu@n nguy3n

people's knee-jerk reaction is to run on here and post at the first sign of a problem. try contact those people first and work it out, whether it be on ebay, shipping cost of an auction house, or if a grading company will slab your 8x10s. most of them time you'll get the answer faster contacting them directly and the result will be more pleasant than the opinions you get on here.
Old 07-27-2012, 10:21 AM
Fr@nk Burke++

Default Same problem

I avoided a $0.95 law suit yesterday by contacting my seller, who provided a refund.

Anyone have a 95 cent card for sale with free shipping.

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 07-27-2012, 11:03 AM
Dave

I had a card arrive today with 1.18 cent postage due and it was free shipping.
I guess it was free shipping for him since he didnt pay anything to get it to me.