NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-16-2003, 06:47 PM
Administrator

Default Check out all the vintage baseball player photos!

Posted By: runscott 

Here's a gorgeous photo of Frank "Home Run" Baker. It was an off day for Frank, and he just didn't quite look himself, but it says "Frank Baker" on the back, so I'm sure it's him. The seller is also selling a photo of Addie Joss - would someone please look at the photo of these three men and tell me which one is Addie Joss? (Thanks). I don't want to start bidding without knowing what I'm doing! PS - I've got copies of some nice Carl Horner photos of Addie Joss, but Horner must have been duped since his photos don't look at all like any of these three guys.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=204&item=2716886055
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=204&item=2716888230

Old 03-16-2003, 06:56 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Hankron

I said it once and I'll say it again (and again): unless you know and throroughly trust the seller, don't bid in private eBay auctions. Plain and simple.

Old 03-16-2003, 07:36 PM
Administrator

Posted By: runscott

This is a classic:

Complaint : Dude, thanks for the fast shipping but it's not real. Did you know that?????

Old 03-16-2003, 07:36 PM
Administrator

Scott, I had the same initial thought as you-- Which one of these three guys is supposed to be Addie Joss? My dog looks more like Addie Joss than any of those guys(and my dog doesn't look anything like Addie Joss).

Old 03-17-2003, 01:18 AM
Administrator

Posted By: TBob

The guy on the right is about Addie's height but Addie was thin and looked nothing like that guy. Maybe that is Addie's cousin Laddie Joss.

Old 03-17-2003, 09:16 PM
Administrator

Posted By: rod

That may be Joss, but that ain't Addie.Joss never played for the Indians.He played for the Naps who didn't become the Indians until 1915, years after Addie was laid to rest. ...This guy really should take this off. Is that even Baker?

Old 03-17-2003, 10:32 PM
Administrator

My impression is that the seller knows that the photos are not of Joss and Baker, and that's why the auctions are private.

In other words, while he knows it isn't Joss or Baker, the bidders don't need to know.

Old 03-17-2003, 11:28 PM
Administrator

Posted By: brian parker

Give the seller some credit. Although he inaccurately identifed the portrait photo as Frank Baker, and thus inadvertantly wrote Frank's name on the back, he did nail the fact that it is a photo of a major league baseball player, because, dagnab it, that's the splitting image of a teenage Jimmy Sheckard if I ever saw one. I should know, as I have a photo of an old man holding a fish, and not only does the wrinkly face have a remarkable resemblance to a geriatic version of Jimmy Sheckard, the manner in which he is holding the fish is suggestive of how a ballplayer would make a basket catch, thus offering definitive proof that it is none other than Jimmy Sheckard.

Brian