NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Buy/Sell/Trade Section (must login, caveat emptor) > 1980 & Newer Sports Cards B/S/T

Old 01-10-2016, 07:13 PM
Jason B.

Default WTB: Kris Bryant 2013 Bowman Chrome Draft Refractor

Perhaps against my better judgment, I've decided to dip one toe into the pool of Modern cards to test the water. I've been a vintage guy all the way, but the buzz around my Cubbies has gotten me into taking a look at Modern.

I've been picking up mid-range Kris Bryant cards for a few months now, and am ready to jump for one of the big boys. Would like to purchase one of the 2013 Bowman Chrome Draft Autographed Refractors -- prefer the Blue version (99), but would also consider the standard refractor (500). Would possibly consider Gold or Black. Prefer graded, BGS 9.5 would be ideal.

Also interested in the 2014 Bryant Bowman Chrome Auto Blue (150) or regular refractor (500), but my priority is snagging one of the 2013 versions.
Would also probably jump on a 2009 Mike Trout Bowman Chrome Autograph Refractor as well, if anyone is actually ready to call time on his potential and cash in...

Will pay market value on the card, with payment via no-fee PP Gift or whatever your preferred method of payment is.

I know I'll probably lose 90% of the value eventually, but I'm in it for the fun. Thanks in advance!

I'd welcome anyone's advice about modern cards as well, if you want to reply or PM me -- it seems like a strange, alternate universe to collecting Vintage so far...
WTB: '15 CJ Wagner & WaJo (PSA 2-3) | '33 Sport Kings Babe Ruth (PSA 4-5) | '52T Ed Mathews (PSA 4-5) | '47 VanPatrick Postcard of Bob Feller.
T-206 Monster: 520/520 (PSA 4-6)
Old 01-10-2016, 07:35 PM
Peter Spaeth

My advice -- in a word -- no. Way too speculative. Way too much hype. Way too much manufactured scarcity. Think people spending 10K and probably much more for Stephen Strasburg cards. And besides, except for the ones with heritage design, they are UGLY. Can't even see the guy's face on half of them. Chicken scratch autographs.

I mean look at this thing that was all the rage. Where is his face?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2001-Bowman-Chrome-Albert-Pujols-500-213x300.jpg (20.3 KB, 48 views)

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 01-10-2016 at 07:41 PM.
Old 01-10-2016, 08:18 PM
Jason B.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
My advice -- in a word -- no. Way too speculative. Way too much hype. Way too much manufactured scarcity. Think people spending 10K and probably much more for Stephen Strasburg cards. And besides, except for the ones with heritage design, they are UGLY. Can't even see the guy's face on half of them. Chicken scratch autographs.

I mean look at this thing that was all the rage. Where is his face?
Peter--

Every ounce of my being agrees with you. I don't think there's any danger in my crossing over to Modern in a meaningful way. Some of the conversations I've had with Sellers of this particular card over eBay in the last week boggle the mind. We are clearly speaking a different language, if not living on different planets. Although the value of this particular card has been steadily deteriorating since the end of the season, they truly believe there is further *upside* to be had.

Despite my dabbling with Kris Bryant cards, I expect moving forward that my percentage of Modern cards will go from 0% in 2015 to 1% in 2016.
WTB: '15 CJ Wagner & WaJo (PSA 2-3) | '33 Sport Kings Babe Ruth (PSA 4-5) | '52T Ed Mathews (PSA 4-5) | '47 VanPatrick Postcard of Bob Feller.
T-206 Monster: 520/520 (PSA 4-6)
Old 01-10-2016, 08:46 PM
Peter Spaeth

If there is so much upside why are they selling. Sounds like a sales pitch. If you want a Bryant get a normal looking card for 10 bucks LOL or whatever they cost, don't spend thousands on some ridiculous shiny thing.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 01-10-2016 at 08:49 PM.